• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Developer Shift Up addresses censorship claims "This is our final product. We are discussing this internally"

Crayon

I dunno man, I didn't feel like I was being overly hostile!

It should have been obvious that I was attacking the argument not the person because it was about the utility of the comparison in terms of furthering the argument that the costume should be changed back to its pre-patch state.

Oh then no. I only do that when I say something profoundly retarded. :> Which I can do.

Madflavor

eh maybe you are right. We can complain but I still urge people to please play the game.
The game itself is awesome, and I agree on that point. I’ve dumped 50 hours so far, the combat is very addicting and the soundtrack is extraordinary.

If its not significant in itself why should anyone care?

If we’re gonna use that logic, why did they care enough to change it in such a minuscule way? But that’s kind of the point. People can argue the changes are minor, but that kinda goes to show how petty the decision was to change them in the first place.

ToneyJ

The game itself is awesome, and I agree on that point. I’ve dumped 50 hours so far, the combat is very addicting and the soundtrack is extraordinary.

If we’re gonna use that logic, why did they care enough to change it in such a minuscule way? But that’s kind of the point. People can argue the changes are minor, but that kinda goes to show how petty the decision was to change them in the first place.
This. And it's about principle. We just want companies like Sony to fuck off already and stop forcing dumb little changes to cater to a group of people who won't play the game anyways.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Like I said, you need to be prove the change was harmful. Just demonstrating that changes were made isn't significant.

You have to realize that I'm not arguing the point because I'm pro-censorship. Its because "principle" isn't enough. In the current climate stuff is being materially damaged by activists who are arguing for artistic constraints based on their "principles".

Its just a strongly held belief. And I believe beliefs should be challenged rationally.

The last thing we need is Stellar Blade to become a high-profile "straw man"! When the game's existence and success are the win we need ?

Pejo

Gold Member
Like I said, you need to be prove the change was harmful. Just demonstrating that changes were made isn't significant.

You have to realize that I'm not arguing the point because I'm pro-censorship. Its because "principle" isn't enough. In the current climate stuff is being materially damaged by activists who are arguing for artistic constraints based on their "principles".

Its just a strongly held belief. And I believe beliefs should be challenged rationally.

The last thing we need is Stellar Blade to become a high-profile "straw man"! When the game's existence and success are the win we need ?
You pro-censorship guys really do fit this to a T:
iu

ToneyJ

Sony telling devs to modify and tone down risqué costumes is censorship. It's significant and worth addressing, because otherwise they'll continue with this unwanted behaviour for future game releases.

Activists can't be censored by artists, they don't create anything. Activists are the ones inflicting their will on the works of artists, not the other way around. So your point here doesn't really hold up.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Here is the question whats solution to prevent censorship? "Boycotting" is not the answer because if gives those people wrong massage thinking people dont want this type of game but I and most people VERY much want more this type of the games in the future.

And people are criticizing about it on internet but Sony doesn't seem to listen or even care.......Only solution I see is either somehow Sony's attitude and policy change (we wont see that happening anytime soon) or someone else support these type of games instead of Sony.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Do you think censorship took place?

The silly "Hard R" thing triggered self-censorship, but it was a meaningless token gesture.

The costumes; maybe. The lack of censorship of the most revealing suit makes it improbable though. Because if content or ratings was an issue surely that being the most extreme and visible example, wouldn't it certainly have been the first thing censored?

The gore; again maybe but as violence levels weren't a bone of contention in all markets, why would it be censored? All the instances of Sony being censorious seem to be about sexual matters, so why is this unflagged problem going to be the first time?

All this is by-the-by because the real question is -as I've repeated stated- did it severely damage and/or neuter the experience?

To which the obvious answer is, no it did not. Its still a sexy violent action game that bucks the trend of safe, super politically-correct crap.

And the consequences of all this reactionary, pointless "standing-on-principle" going forwards is just going to be that there are going to be less titles like it going forwards, because no business wants to deal with the hassle.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Here is the question whats solution to prevent censorship? "Boycotting" is not the answer because if gives those people wrong massage thinking people dont want this type of game but I and most people VERY much want more this type of the games in the future.

And people are criticizing about it on internet but Sony doesn't seem to listen or even care.......Only solution I see is either somehow Sony's attitude and policy change (we wont see that happening anytime soon) or someone else support these type of games instead of Sony.
I think this is a great point, and I also think this is why the petition is one of the best things going on right now for this game. It makes a very visible number of fans that are saying "hey we want the game, we like the game, but we want the game to be uncompromised".
All this is by-the-by because the real question is -as I've repeated stated- did it severely damage and/or neuter the experience?

To which the obvious answer is, no it did not. Its still a sexy violent action game that bucks the trend of safe, super politically-correct crap.
This is your opinion. I can point to at least 70 thousand people who are at least annoyed by it enough to sign the petition. You can argue that it's a super low barrier of entry but have you seen how little people lift a finger for nearly anything these days? To organize that many people at least puts a little bit of a flame where the smoke is.
And the consequences of all this reactionary, pointless "standing-on-principle" going forwards is just going to be that there are going to be less titles like it going forwards, because no business wants to deal with the hassle.
This is another opinion of yours. It's equally likely that after this whole thing has settled, maybe Sony decides that it's not worth the PR hit/internal meetings/customer support load to continue censoring eastern developed M rated games.

Danjin44

I think this is a great point, and I also think this is why the petition is one of the best things going on right now for this game. It makes a very visible number of fans that are saying "hey we want the game, we like the game, but we want the game to be uncompromised".
Even if Shift Up does change it with patch, I dont see Sony changing their mind about their censorship policy.

No one here is is "pro-censorship" but skipping the game wont help and I'm not gonna punish those developers who worked their ass off just because what Sony is doing.

I'd say they should buy the game if they're interested, and maybe boycott/cancel their PS+ sub. That would get Sony's attention.

Danjin44

I'd say they should buy the game if they're interested, and maybe boycott/cancel their PS+ sub. That would get Sony's attention.
I dont even use PS+ because I dont play MP games and most of the free game they offer either I already have or I'm not interested, its waste of money for me.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

It's a lose-lose. You either buy the game and approve of the censorship or boycott and deny yourself a great game but also say you didn't buy because you don't like the sexy-no-jutsu. Either way it's rigged.

I think those with a PS5 should just buy and enjoy the game and if it comes to PC then PC gamers can just buy and pray to modding community to decensor the censorship.

The online petition and the canceling of PSN subscriptions in waves is a coin flip but it does give players a voice instead of just voting with your wallet.

Only real way to avoid any kind of censorship or pandering IMO is support very specific indie devs that only make certain kinds of games.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
The costumes; maybe

The gore; again maybe
If there's doubt, it seems reasonable to me that people are pointing out changes and bringing them up in conversation. Your earlier statement that they're not significant is nonsense.

No, that is not the real question. This is how you're attempting to frame the discussion because it fits your argument.

It doesn't matter if the censorship is "harmful" or if it "severely damaged" anything. That's just some arbitrary thing you made up. If I hold a gun to your head and force you to wear red shoes, it doesn't matter that my 'request' is harmless. The issue is I'm holding a fucking gun to your head.

You sound like a battered housewife begging the neighbor not to call the police. "He took me out for dinner before he started punching!" Get a grip dude.

Danjin44

It's a lose-lose. You either buy the game and approve of the censorship or boycott and deny yourself a great game but also say you didn't buy because you don't like the sexy-no-jutsu. Either way it's rigged.

I think those with a PS5 should just buy and enjoy the game and if it comes to PC then PC gamers can just buy and pray to modding community to decensor the censorship.

The online petition and the canceling of PSN subscriptions in waves is a coin flip but it does give players a voice instead of just voting with your wallet.

Only real way to avoid any kind of censorship or pandering IMO is support very specific indie devs that only make certain kinds of games.
Exactly!

ToneyJ

- The game is selling well
- People are loving the game on social media and rating it well on PSN/Metacritic
- Shift Up / Sony are aware people aren't happy with the censorship, and supposedly in discussions seeing what they can do.

That's a win//win/win in my book.

Last edited:

Boglin

Guys, I just have to say if you think the game is good then you really shouldn't talk about what you dislike or compile any objective lists of changes that have been made to it that prevent you from being rubbed the right way. I have it on good authority that voicing minor principled criticisms of otherwise amazing products will always result in you never getting those types of products again.
If you like something after you buy it, then the only logical action to take is to not discuss anything negative and to instead just put out some telepathic vibes to bring about the changes you want. If you believe hard enough then the companies will "feel" what you want and will initate the changes. Don't tell anyone or sign any petitions though because the companies will get spooked and your wishes won't come true 🤫

Don't worry, keeping your objections silent after buying the game doesn't reinforce companies to continue doing the same shit in the future. And I'm definitely not just trying to maintain the pro-censorship status-quo.

Madflavor

Well I mean they have to listen. Shift Up can't make this decision on their own, it's gotta go through Sony. Either way they're aware of the situation. Sony took a chance with this game, and marketed the hell out of it, hoping their investment would pay off. But now it's surrounded by controversy that has drowned out discussion on this game. Korean developers are trying to break into the console gaming market, and this was one of the first steps for Sony trying to cultivate Korean games into their platform, and the situation isn't super ideal right now. The conversation this week should've been "Hey everyone! This game is awesome, you should try it out!" Instead it's turned into a big drama, and outsiders looking in are only seeing things like censorship, boycotting, incels, tits n' ass, etc etc, and it's probably repelling them from taking an interest in the game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Well I mean they have to listen. Shift Up can't make this decision on their own, it's gotta go through Sony. Either way they're aware of the situation. Sony took a chance with this game, and marketed the hell out of it, hoping their investment would pay off. But now it's surrounded by controversy that has drowned out discussion on this game. Korean developers are trying to break into the console gaming market, and this was one of the first steps for Sony trying to cultivate Korean games into their platform, and the situation isn't super ideal right now. The conversation this week should've been "Hey everyone! This game is awesome, you should try it out!" Instead it's turned into a big drama, and outsiders looking in are only seeing things like censorship, boycotting, incels, tits n' ass, etc etc, and it's probably repelling them from taking an interest in the game.
Its a shame, the game is legitimately great even outside its attractive character design.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Its a shame, the game is legitimately great even outside its attractive character design.

It is. It’ll gain a strong cult following, and will sell just fine, maybe even really good. I’m sure more people will give it a try overtime when it’s discounted. But this was the week they needed to strike while the iron was hot, and that’s obviously off the table now.

Last edited:

Madflavor

The only seemingly-legit criticism I've heard about the game is the main character lacks personality. I know she's a bot, but 2B had plenty of personality.

Character and dialogue is pretty bad. If they make a sequel, they absolutely need to hire a writer. The writing is definitely the game’s biggest shortcoming.

Danjin44

The only seemingly-legit criticism I've heard about the game is the main character lacks personality. I know she's a bot, but 2B had plenty of personality.
I think is more to do with Eve dont have much chemistry with other side characters like 2B did with 9S, but Yoko Taro is master of that not many can match his character writing.

miklonus

I wish they just simply bring the tits back, as well as the bare legs back, and keep the other updates that are in there so far so I can plug my fuckin' otherness cord back into the (PS)5.

Pejo

Gold Member
Crayon Crayon My apologies for flying off the handle there, you're probably a good dude in person and I will respect our differences of opinion. I'm taking a break from this thread for a while until we hear something from ShiftUp/Sony. Stuff gets me too heated up and there's really nothing of value to discuss right now until ShiftUp makes a statement anyways.

Crayon

Crayon Crayon My apologies for flying off the handle there, you're probably a good dude in person and I will respect our differences of opinion. I'm taking a break from this thread for a while until we hear something from ShiftUp/Sony. Stuff gets me too heated up and there's really nothing of value to discuss right now until ShiftUp makes a statement anyways.

Well I think we all are. I have my own style of being a dick, and maybe sometimes I do it without knowing. I think I just got 3 posts pulled for it. I best taking a longer break from it. 🤣

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
How can I be a "battered housewife" when I don't feel the blows?
This is not helping your case.

As I've stated over and over, I don't think the changes to Stellar Blade damage anything. And I doubt you do either, to tell the truth.
We just had this conversation, dude.

Its all about the "principle", right? That "principle" being that you want a taste of the power that you see the woke-types exerting. The devs aren't allowed to reconsider or tweak stuff, they "promised" you an uncensored experience and by God you'll have it! Harrumph!
Those are a lot of accusations you're making against me. Got anything to back those claims up?

See, the reason why proving censorship damages matters so much, is that's what gives you moral authority in the argument.
We're in a thread about suspected censorship. What else are we gonna talk about? The fucking weather? Of course people are gonna try to find proof for it.

Because without it, what are you really arguing: I want things my way, and I'm prepared to bully and shame you into it?

Real noble.
What is it that I want? Can you refer to a post of mine in this thread that proves what I want?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well I think we all are. I have my own style of being a dick, and maybe sometimes I do it without knowing. I think I just got 3 posts pulled for it. I best taking a longer break from it. 🤣

Same, which is weird because I was trying pretty hard to be civil about it!

I can’t stomach the double standards on display. Sony will gleefully allow games featuring full frontal nudity, sex (TLOU2) and even beastiality (BG3) but proceeds to needlessly censor an anime art book or some random cleavage. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason to the policy application whatsoever.

If a game is rated mature and is for adults only then there is no need to censor anything. Let the market decide what is worth buying or not. What myself, and I imagine others really find objectionable… is this desire to have all content sanitised at the whims of the overly sensitive. Most of whom have no desire to consume the very content they take issue with. It reeks of narcissism and insecurity. No thanks!

ToneyJ

(their
I can’t stomach the double standards on display. Sony will gleefully allow games featuring full frontal nudity, sex (TLOU2) and even beastiality (BG3) but proceeds to needlessly censor an anime art book or some random cleavage. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason to the policy application whatsoever.
Tbh it seems like they censor japanese/korean games and let western studios do whatever they want.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
(their

Tbh it seems like they censor japanese/korean games and let western studios do whatever they want.
Because they do. At the very least, they don't hold their first parties to the same standards they hold eastern devs. They can show a man-ish woman getting railed from behind, but if a JPN game dare shows a little bit too much boob? Censored.

Top Bottom