• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

Gattsu25

Banned
Had no idea this was coming out, had no idea what this was about, and marathoned through the entire first season today.

I fucking loved every second on this show. Endearing, scary, fun, and exciting.

Well, anyways here goes. Just finished and I loved it. A few big questions at the end though (spoilers for the whole thing)

Why did Hopper get in the car with those suits near the end? Something related to the deal he made?

Is El still alive when he's placing Eggos there? Or is that her 'grave'?

What do you guys think the implications of Wills condition is?

Gattsu25

Banned
Well, anyways here goes. Just finished and I loved it. A few big questions at the end though (spoilers for the whole thing)

Why did Hopper get in the car with those suits near the end? Something related to the deal he made?

EP 8 SPOILERS
Those are all going to be answered in Season 2, I think. The 1st season doesn't provide those answers.

Binged the whole thing in a day, it was pretty good. Between Lady Dynamite, Marco Polo and this, Netflix has been doin' it for me this year.

Also, I kind of hope this is anthology show and we have a new mystery for the second season. There are so many different eras/genres they could tap into. The 80's scifi vibe is cool but I think I'd enjoy a fresh take each season more.

Only three episodes in, would be further had I not forgotten about it until late last night and I'm really digging it, it really lease a love letter to all the things described.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Watching episode 3 and enjoying it a lot so far. Loving the synthwave music and I'm already looking forward to the soundtrack release.

jmood88

Binged the whole thing in a day, it was pretty good. Between Lady Dynamite, Marco Polo and this, Netflix has been doin' it for me this year.

Also, I kind of hope this is anthology show and we have a new mystery for the second season. There are so many different eras/genres they could tap into. The 80's scifi vibe is cool but I think I'd enjoy a fresh take each season more.
It's not an anthology, which I'm happy about.

GavinUK86

1 -
Probably because he knew he wasn't going to get away from them so he might aswell rip the plaster off so to speak. We'll probably find out why they let him go next season.

2 -
That was very ambiguous. I can't make heads or tail of that one. Might be a grave, might be some other reason that he learnt from the guys in the suits.

3 -
Personally I think that the monsters in the upside down place are the worm things and that they infect people and the people turn into that big bad creature. It looked like Will just gained the ability to switch between dimensions, which is what the creature could do.

I really loved the show. One the best things I've watched in a while. I don't really have a negative thing to say about it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
1 -
Probably because he knew he wasn't going to get away from them so he might aswell rip the plaster off so to speak. We'll probably find out why they let him go next season.

2 -
That was very ambiguous. I can't make heads or tail of that one. Might be a grave, might be some other reason that he learnt from the guys in the suits.

3 -
Personally I think that the monsters in the upside down place are the worm things and that they infect people and the people turn into that big bad creature. It looked like Will just gained the ability to switch between dimensions, which is what the creature could do.

I really loved the show. One the best things I've watched in a while. I don't really have a negative thing to say about it.

Episode 8 Spoilers:

Why did Barb get killed and still had the worm thing in her mouth?

Also anytime the monster came through to reality it was by creating a tear in space. Whether from the tree, the wall, or assumably the burned floor.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Episode 8 Spoilers:

Also anytime the monster came through to reality it was by creating a tear in space. Whether from the tree, the wall, or assumably the burned floor.

I had the idea that WIll still having some of the Upside Down world inside of him in the form of the worms and whatever else now kind of means he's stuck between worlds in a sense and without the psychic powers that El had he doesn't have any serious way to control it. Or I'm just speculating lol

What a fabulous show; might be my favorite original Netflix content yet. The main characters were all interesting and well-acted (with El being the highlight), I never felt bored following any of them, and even the side-characters were pretty great. The universe of the show has me endlessly intrigued as well.

1 -

2 -

3 -

2 -
I definitely thought it was him somehow giving food to El, which is why he put Eggos in there.

3 -
I like the idea of Will becoming one of the monsters, but I think it may be that turning is a consequence of not being completely "consumed" by those slugs, though. There was a bunch of bodies along with Barbara in the Upside Down library that looked decomposed. Maybe the slugs use the Demogorgon to hunt for them.

El:

The reason I think she is alive is because that box he put the food in was empty. (Or am I blind?) That clearly wasn't his first time going to that location way out in the woods, and sure, you could make the argument that an animal has been stealing the food each time, but I don't believe it, especially if there's a lock and key.

I had the idea that WIll still having some of the Upside Down world inside of him in the form of the worms and whatever else now kind of means he's stuck between worlds in a sense and without the psychic powers that El had he doesn't have any serious way to control it. Or I'm just speculating lol
I actually posted something similar earlier. This is pretty much exactly what I think is going on with Will

Trojita

Episode 1 & 8 Spoilers

I'm actually wondering if the monster was actually the one pulling Will into The Upside Down and Will fought it off momentarily and ran once they were in the other world or if Will became the flea himself in order to escape the monster and then didn't know where he ended up. With the fabric of reality being vulnerable after the experiment I wonder if this was possible.

scitek

Only through two episodes so far, but holy shit they nailed the aesthetic here. It literally feels like a Spielberg production from the 80s.

GavinUK86

Episode 8 Spoilers:

She triggered the creature with blood right? And then she tried to run. Maybe because Will didn't? He just hid? Maybe that's how the worms choose?

GavinUK86

What a fabulous show; might be my favorite original Netflix content yet. The main characters were all interesting and well-acted (with El being the highlight), I never felt bored following any of them, and even the side-characters were pretty great. The universe of the show has me endlessly intrigued as well.

2 -
I definitely thought it was him somehow giving food to El, which is why he put Eggos in there.

3 -
I like the idea of Will becoming one of the monsters, but I think it may be that turning is a consequence of not being completely "consumed" by those slugs, though. There was a bunch of bodies along with Barbara in the Upside Down library that looked decomposed. Maybe the slugs use the Demogorgon to hunt for them.

You could take it either way I guess. Leaving it for her because it's her favourite food or as a way to remember her. I think she's alive and he's helping. But I have no idea why she would stay away in secret though.

Possible.

Trojita

She triggered the creature with blood right? And then she tried to run. Maybe because Will didn't? He just hid? Maybe that's how the worms choose?

All Episode Spoilers:
I'm not sure since the creature seemed to escape the lab and run into Will on the road. Will was also potentially hurt and bleeding after that fall which would be a reason the creature could track him easily.

Trojita

Mr. Clarke having
a hot chick at his place
was probably the funniest thing to me.

Basically watched this all in one sitting. I think the best part is how likeable all the main characters are and how well the different groups work. Like the main kids are all great. The teenagers are great. The adults are great. Everyone has wonderful chemistry and just the right amount of humor and backstory and complications. It's such great character work.

Basically watched this all in one sitting. I think the best part is how likeable all the main characters are and how well the different groups work. Like the main kids are all great. The teenagers are great. The adults are great. Everyone has wonderful chemistry and just the right amount of humor and backstory and complications. It's such great character work.
All the different groups and stories came together beautifully

Trojita

Jonathon's actor reminds me of if you put Norman Reedus, Benicio Del Toro, Ethan Hawke, and Edward Furlong in a blender together.

Speely

Banned
I was truly shocked by how good this show ended up being. When I saw the trailers, I honestly thought it would probably be decent but reek of catering to 80's-isms so much that it compromised the actual show.

Boy, was I wrong. This is god-tier tele in every way. I am legit impressed more and more with every episode.

Holy. ShamWow. Just finished it. I can't rave enough about it. All my fellow GAFfers know what's up. What can I say that hasn't been said already?

All I know is I want to own this series. And they better release it on UHD-Blu, because watching it in 4K was simply sublime!

Do we know for a fact this is going to be a running "show" or was it a mini-series? I was just under the impression it's just a mini-series.

And I miss El already. I knew she was going to sacrifice herself, it was a trope that fit in with the entirety of the show was going for. It still didn't stop the scene from being so sad. "Promise?" :'(

Sunster

Holy. ShamWow. Just finished it. I can't rave enough about it. All my fellow GAFfers know what's up. What can I say that hasn't been said already?

All I know is I want to own this series. And they better release it on UHD-Blu, because watching it in 4K was simply sublime!

Do we know for a fact this is going to be a running "show" or was it a mini-series? I was just under the impression it's just a mini-series.

And I miss El already. I knew she was going to sacrifice herself, it was a trope that fit in with the entirety of the show was going for. It still didn't stop the scene from being so sad. "Promise?" :'(

One of the co creators said they know where they would take a season 2 story wise. Depends on if Netflix picks it up I guess.

Top Bottom