• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 5 for PS4 & PC teaser trailer

ShinAmano

Honestly ANY other game going exclusive I couldn't care less. This one hurts. This is my favorite franchise and this news is just the worst.

:(

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Bish did set them to task. This thread has always been about the console war angle to these kinds of deals, so it is relevant, bit it misses the larger point.
We're good now.

In the future - and this goes for everyone - if you're going to throw out blanket statements regarding this sort of stuff, be prepared to provide a modicum of proof in your post from the jump. Keeps me from calling you out, things stay relatively on track, and I have more time to snark in IRC. Everybody wins.

Carry on.

Karsha

Exited about the announcement and that it will take place after 3 (still not confirmed but im feeling confident it will be like that) .
The only thing that bothered me is the graphic, didn't like that they are reusing the sf4 art and "ink" effects, hopeful its still early and that will change later on. If they were going 3d a different approach could have been cool (anime like or realistic like tekken)

Given I have a PC that I keep up to date and also a PS4 I am not completely screwed by this, however unless some of my friends that I play SF with buy either a PS4 or PC I can't play with them....great.

Westlo

-sigh- Calming down somewhat.

Thinking back on it. I do remember a little while back someone at Capcom(might have been Ono, not sure) officially stating that SF5 would not be seen for many years because they didn't have the resources or okays within the company. Maybe Sony did kickstart it somehow. So maybe it isnt similar to the TR situation.

I don't know. I just hope they are up front and transparent about the situation when it is officially announced.

That was Ono just being Ono, instead of saying we aren't working on sf5 or I can't talk about it he said that bullshit. When people took him at his word he put a statement out a week later saying he was working on a fighting game. I said at the time it was sf and here it is

Lemondish

They've done so with plenty of franchises, DR3 being one example. And this is another.

It should not be a habit however

If it keeps them around while they recover from the clearly dire issues they're facing, then I personally don't care if it becomes a habit.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So this is more like a Bayonetta 2 than a Rise of Tomb Raider situation?

Ishan

We literally have zero details other than the leaked trailer + a Bish vetted comment regarding the exclusivity.

and the ono tweets .... I like sony but my read of this situation would be what some have pointed out sony might have paid to get it made earlier than capcom would have liked and hence got exclusivity . I'm sure ultra/super/champions edition etc will be out in xbox in a year or so. also I think sony wanted a marquee fighting game tickbox to counteract KI

Biker19

Banned
Don't know why people are still upset, this is exclusivity 101 and you should be used to it by now.

I agree; It's smart business.

PS4 has a higher install base than Xbox One does, & most fighting games are always guaranteed to sell on PS consoles (not to mention that most of the fighting game community are on Playstation consoles, especially in Japan).

Westlo

and the ono tweets .... I like sony but my read of this situation would be what some have pointed out sony might have paid to get it made earlier than capcom would have liked and hence got exclusivity . I'm sure ultra/super/champions edition etc will be out in xbox in a year or so. also I think sony wanted a marquee fighting game tickbox to counteract KI

Sony must've paid them for sfv pretty damn quick because he went from saying sfv isn't in r and d to saying he was working on a fighting game in the space if a few days.

afdsfdsylb6h.png

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/541099309005934594

Strike

It's probably go multi at some point (either though a timed vanilla release or a future update). I was hoping for something like DMC 5 or Dragon's Dogma 2, but this is still a nice get for Sony.

If Sony is actually funding the game's development, a la Bayonetta 2, then yeah....this ain't coming to the Xbox One. Well, not until the inevitable Super Street Fighter 5, or whatever the next iteration will be called.

By the time SF V comes out the PS4 will be super cheap and the install base will be even larger. Xbox is totally irrelevant for them.

-PXG-

By the time SF V comes out the PS4 will be super cheap and the install base will be even larger. Xbox is totally irrelevant for them.

People make it sound like the Xbox One is in some kind of Saturn or Dreamcast-like state of emergency. I doubt Capcom will completely ignore the platform for entirety of this game's life. The first game, sure. If Sony is funding it, it's on lock down. But I would be very surprised if the second, third or any future version of the game (this is SF, you know it will happen) will be exclusive as well.

Long thread...

I imagine the title while big for its genre is small enough that whatever they're getting for exclusivity is sufficient to offset whatever is lost in revenue. IV was close in first month NPD despite installed base discrepancy in favor of the 360 back in 2009.

Besides I doubt it takes long for Ultra Super V or whatever to come to all platforms.

SenkiDala

People make it sound like the Xbox One is in some kind of Saturn or Dreamcast-like state of emergency.

Well, it is. :/ Except MS have money, SEGA didn't.

Anyway, it's an exclusivity, get used to it... Like Guilty Gears Xrd is, like KI is exclusive to the Xbox One (even though KI1 and 2 were released on Nintendo systems), things evolved. You can still buy it on PC, should be on steam sale soon, I don't think it will need a beast PC to run it.

EDIT: If it interests some of you, Ken Bogard (French VS fighting commentator) said yesterday on a stream that he have inside sources who told him that there will NOT be a "Super Street Fighter V" or "Ultra" or anything, just updates like 1.01, 1.02, etc etc, to add characters, update the balance of the gameplay, etc.

Ishan

If Sony is actually funding the game's development, a la Bayonetta 2, then yeah....this ain't coming to the Xbox One. Well, not until the inevitable Super Street Fighter 5, or whatever the next iteration will be called.

sfv is not coming to xbox till the super/ultra edition. was confimed already in this thread by someone who knows someone who works for capcom us. vetted by bish ..

SenkiDala

sfv is not coming to xbox till the super/ultra edition. was confimed already in this thread by someone who knows someone who works for capcom us. vetted by bish ..

And Ken Bogard (see my upward post) said there won't be any Ultra or Super edition, him too knows people working at Capcom (he knew about SFV since a long time).

We'll see! :)

Biker19

Banned
And Ken Bogard (see my upward post) said there won't be any Ultra or Super edition, him too knows people working at Capcom (he knew about SFV since a long time).

We'll see! :)

Most likely, Capcom's going to take their time with this & try to do it all in one go, characters, stages, etc., unlike with Street Fighter IV.

im not trolling here btw, but i thought the hadouken cabs trailer was a hoax/fan made?

confusion man

No, it was never a hoax/fan-made video at all. It was made by Sony as far back in November of last year.

People make it sound like the Xbox One is in some kind of Saturn or Dreamcast-like state of emergency. I doubt Capcom will completely ignore the platform for entirety of this game's life. The first game, sure. If Sony is funding it, it's on lock down. But I would be very surprised if the second, third or any future version of the game (this is SF, you know it will happen) will be exclusive as well.

It's not that far off. When you have deep price cuts and free games thrown in less than a year after launch and one of the executives on twitter begging people to trade in their PS4's for free Xbox games it instantly brings to mind Sega's situation during the Playstation onslaught of the 90s.

It's not that far off. When you have deep price cuts and free games thrown in less than a year after launch and one of the executives on twitter begging people to trade in their PS4's for free Xbox games it instantly brings to mind Sega's situation during the Playstation onslaught of the 90s.

Come on man, lol. These things are not even close.

Swarna

With the PS4/PC announcement and rumors of no sequels...there is the possibility that this could be F2P and/or cross-platform. I don't see why they wouldn't do F2P if there isn't gonna be multiple versions. Capcom is always gonna chase that cash money,

F2P done right is really good (see DotA 2). Make all characters free and only charge for cosmetics like costumes, music, alternate voice packs, etc. Plus constant updates and additions of new characters and such.

Otherwise don't do it at all.

NeoROCK

I wonder how much Seth Killian had to do with this being exclusive.

He was pretty influential at CAPCOM when SFIV came out, and now he works at Sony. He must still have a lot of contacts and influence at CAPCOM to get this exclusive.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

I think it already sold more than the DC and Saturn. But if you want to keep digging.

I wonder how much Seth Killian had to do with this being exclusive.

He was pretty influential at CAPCOM when SFIV came out, and now he works at Sony. He must still have a lot of contacts and influence at CAPCOM to get this exclusive.

Probably nothing. He left Sony Santa Monica earlier this year.

EDIT: If it interests some of you, Ken Bogard (French VS fighting commentator) said yesterday on a stream that he have inside sources who told him that there will NOT be a "Super Street Fighter V" or "Ultra" or anything, just updates like 1.01, 1.02, etc etc, to add characters, update the balance of the gameplay, etc.

Capcom would be smart to advertise this right away. I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of people will be holding back thinking there will be a cheaper Ultra version not too long afterwards.

Some people in this thread either don't remember what the SFIV character models look like or have never played SFIV.

I don't know what type of case you're trying to make because looking at both you could barely pass this off as cross gen. They look almost identical.

Then what would you call a console dropping in price by $150 in less than a year?

And bundling the latest entry to one of the biggest franchises in gaming for free (which has a $60 value) while also throwing in the previous entry of series. The fire sale price that the XB1 is experiencing this soon after launch is unprecedented.

Sonson21

Banned
Could be a Bayonetta 2 scenario, with it being exclusive. We know Capcom hasn't been that well off as of late. Sony probably paid to have it published, in response to KI.

The weird thing is, we always get confirmation of a arcade release before a console one, so that has me thinking Sony definitely played a hand in here somewhere, whether people like it or not.

Call it timed exclusive if you want, I'm betting it's not.

nded

I don't know what type of case you're trying to make because looking at both you could barely pass this off as cross gen. They look almost identical.

Mostly talking about the people saying the SFV models are exactly the same as SFIV with different lighting. These are clearly not the same models.

Top Bottom