• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: Animated Movie Chun-Li vs Vega, best game to movie scene ever?

xmJIdg3.gif
That's it! :D

I remember being so impressed with this scene back in the day. It's still great. Thanks.

I always felt that the main plot was just as bad as the games - it barely has one. The movie is basically a bunch of good fights stitched together flimsily. Which is fine if that's all you want. In that sense it's faithful to the games.
I also dislike the grunge and numetal soundtrack, but I can't imagine watching it without it.

This was also the first time I saw bare animated boobs. I didn't even know that existed before this movie. Ah, to be young.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Something to keep in mind is the dub is kind of a mess... it has different lines in different scenes depending on which dub you watch (the US "Unrated" cut--used for the original Sony/Manga DVD--vs. the UK "Unrated" version, which was used for the Manga DVD rerelease). The UK Unrated had more harsh cursing, but the US Unrated one was more mild, and only a bit different from the PG-13 cut, dialogue-wise.

This BD (and DVD!) version uses the full, uncut, Japanese film footage with re-synced versions of both US Unrated and UK Unrated dub takes. And on top of it, the BD will have a track with the English dub lines paired with the Japanese BGM/effects track (an oft-requested feature). And we're shooting for even more extras than that. Stay tuned.

As for the release timing, Late Spring - Early Summer is the tentative time frame I last saw for the Blu-ray (but that's of course subject to change if it comes down to it). A bilingual DVD using the remastered video and the two Unrated dub cuts is already out though.
Wait what? You're with Discotek? You guys are awesome! One of the few anime BDs I own is your release of the Garden of Words, thanks for releasing that one over here!
Satoshi Kon movies when? Just name a price and I'll pay anything for them. :D

Aske

"Uncensored"

So wait. Was a government entity involved with the original release of the movie?

I have no idea why this bizarre myth pervades on GAF: censorship does not have to be government-enforced. A 'censor' was originally an 'assessor', and in modern usage, a censor is simply an assessor of some kind who has removed material or withheld content specifically for fear that said material will do harm.

Doesn't matter if the Japanese government censored Chun-Li's breasts or if it was Capcom Japan: her breasts were removed by a censor from the original Japanese release because some people think that boobs are harmful to society. Her breasts were censored. The same applies to the profane language and nudity that was removed from various versions of the film in the west.

"Uncensored" in this context means "without removal of content on arbitrary moral grounds." It's a little more dramatic than a word like 'uncut', but it's perfectly accurate.

Censorship differs from localization in that censored material is always, by defintion, removed for reasons of public protection. Replacing the Japanese OST with western bands was not censorship.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/censoring

J-Skee

That scene where Ken basically has to learn how to walk again... didn't have to include that. They could have just brought him back into the fight. It's little details like that that make me appreciate this so much.

Seyavesh

the translation of the ssf2 char designs/art straight to the movie is pretty fucking incredible to this day. it's perfect- ryu, ken, guile, fei, bison.. pretty much everyone looks like their portraits just jumped straight to life

the tone of the movie being in that classic 80s/early 90s martial arts flick style too is fantastic and pretty much part of the testament to why sf was at the top in that era

the voice acting though... haha wow man i forgot about that

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIt6g_RqSik
seriously this intro, man.. why hasn't any sf since captured the spirit of this? it's the best

Maligna

Banned
All you people who like the Japanese soundtrack better, I just can't agree. I mean the English one is just so intense. It amps up the danger and epic feel of this scene. The Japanese one is kind of unremarkable.

If I was taking about any other anime though, I'd probably agree that the original Japanese is usually superior.

This lived up to the hype. Not seen in ages. Will wait for Blu Ray release for rematch.

Just watched the clip... WOW. That was epic. Go Chun!!!

I know right?

Highwind

My bro had this on VHS and it was the first piece of anime I was exposed to in 1995.

And what a film it was. Gawd.

I was 4 years old when I saw Chun Li's tits and ass. :')

There were other great anime films we had but nothing could quite compare to SF2 for me though I was already a fan of the games.

All you people who like the Japanese soundtrack better, I just can't agree. I mean the English one is just so intense. It amps up the danger and epic feel of this scene. The Japanese one is kind of unremarkable.

If I was taking about any other anime though, I'd probably agree that the original Japanese is usually superior.

Yup.

pbayne

Don't get me wrong I know they're awful movies but i think the tomb raider movies captured most of what the tomb raider series was about, goofy fun and adventure romps.

Jolie is perfect casting for lara croft

Tizoc

Something to keep in mind is the dub is kind of a mess... it has different lines in different scenes depending on which dub you watch (the US "Unrated" cut--used for the original Sony/Manga DVD--vs. the UK "Unrated" version, which was used for the Manga DVD rerelease). The UK Unrated had more harsh cursing, but the US Unrated one was more mild, and only a bit different from the PG-13 cut, dialogue-wise.

This BD (and DVD!) version uses the full, uncut, Japanese film footage with re-synced versions of both US Unrated and UK Unrated dub takes. And on top of it, the BD will have a track with the English dub lines paired with the Japanese BGM/effects track (an oft-requested feature). And we're shooting for even more extras than that. Stay tuned.

As for the release timing, Late Spring - Early Summer is the tentative time frame I last saw for the Blu-ray (but that's of course subject to change if it comes down to it). A bilingual DVD using the remastered video and the two Unrated dub cuts is already out though.

Looking forward to the luray!
What do you have planned after SF2 animated movie though?
Tekken
Samurai Spirits
Fatal Fury animated trilogy

I mean this IS Fatal Fury's anniversary year too :V

Aske

Also, the guys that did all of the original music for the western version also did the music for Baywatch.

That's the music I can't imagine the movie not having. Those majestic, haunting guitar solos. Bison's theme. The scene where Bison and his crew fly into the massive Shadaloo lair. It's so good!

Yeah this was 12 year old me's favorite scene as well. But in all seriousness, this is one hell of a movie. Gorgeous animation. Fight choreography, that felt like what a real life street fighter fight would look like outside of the context of a fighting game. Needs to be on blu ray soon.

Scotia

Banned
Yeah this was 12 year old me's favorite scene as well. But in all seriousness, this is one hell of a movie. Gorgeous animation. Fight choreography, that felt like what a real life street fighter fight would look like outside of the context of a fighting game. Needs to be on blu ray soon.

EDIT: Nevermind, wrong region

Piers

That's it! :D

I remember being so impressed with this scene back in the day. It's still great. Thanks.

I always praise Japan's animations for being ballsy at 'animating' shading as well. It might seem like nothing in regular illustrations, but for every bit of shading that's one more shape that needs careful volume control and applying to all the frames.
(Granted this probably isn't that big of a deal with digital work these days)

Garlador

My favorite thing was how they made these impossible martial arts moves seem almost plausible. It's surreal.

Coming off of Dragon Ball Z where they spent, like, 2 minutes "charging" their attacks, you had this movie which made them just another part of their arsenal.

And the movie was VIOLENT. Geez.

It's actually sort of magical. Street Fighter II is too "mainstream" now that we probably won't ever get the sort of language, violence, and nudity that this film had, even if this animated film was influential enough to influence the actual game series itself.

Back then, after watching this, I FULLY believed a crossover with Mortal Kombat wasn't that insane to think about.

Tizoc

I find it hilarious that all Sagat ever did in this movie was get Shoryuken-ed by Ryu. That's his entire role in the dang movie.

I remember liking the track that was played before the Vega/Chun Li fight. The one that came on when Chun Li switched on the radio, does anyone know what it was called

Pompadour

how the fuck did Bengus get this bad

I think all this art was like 60% done and Capcom said "That's it, we gotta ship by February" and took his pencils away.

I'm holding out hope that this is actually a scene of Chun-Li fighting your average Vega cosplayer.

Maligna

Banned
I find it hilarious that all Sagat ever did in this movie was get Shoryuken-ed by Ryu. That's his entire role in the dang movie.

T-Hawk and Dee Jay got pretty short shrift too.

I remember liking the track that was played before the Vega/Chun Li fight. The one that came on when Chun Li switched on the radio, does anyone know what it was called

It's called "Hallucinations" by "In the Nursery".

Wait what? You're with Discotek? You guys are awesome! One of the few anime BDs I own is your release of the Garden of Words, thanks for releasing that one over here!
Satoshi Kon movies when? Just name a price and I'll pay anything for them. :D

Garden of Words was released by Sentai Filmworks, actually. Thanks for the sentiment, though.

Someone else asked about future game-based releases. Fatal Fury is already out on DVD, with some great covers by Brady from LabZero (he deserves all the credit for how those releases turned out). And the Street Fighter TV cartoon is getting reissued also. But Blu-ray is a bit trickier, and Discotek can only put out so much per year. Unfortunately, long-term plans are above my pay grade.

Garlador

In the Nursery - Hallucinations (Dream World Mix)

This is one case where the music choices in the dub are just... well, fantastic. I couldn't watch the sub after this.

T-Hawk and Dee Jay got pretty short shrift too.
While it's a shame some folks got shafted, at least some of them had proper fights. T-Hawk's fight was short, but at least he fought Ken. Dee Jay didn't get much, and Cammy just took out some agents.

At least they got a few kicks and punches in. Unlike Akuma.
(I actually love this easter egg)

It's actually quite impressive they had EVERY World Warrior make an appearance and almost all of them got at least SOME action.

HGH

Banned
Who was responsible for the artstyle in the movie? I really like it.
It was odd coming from the thinner looking Bison to this big muscular giant who was still super fast. Made him even more imposing.

I also remember now having watching the Street Fighter Alpha movie before this one and really preferring the latter. For some reason the Alpha movie was just... meh to me.

kodecraft

This movie blew my mind when I first saw it. The other Street Fighter animes to follow pale in comparison.

Also, no love for the opening? The way this movie came on alone is ass kicking tier!

Garlador

Just because I can, I thought I'd share the fact this movie has a very bizarre "spin-off" by much of the same animated movie team.

Street Fighter II Yomigaeru Fujiwara-Kyou

It's just an educational short film where Ken, Ryu, Chun-Li, and E. Honda go back in time and learn about Japanese history. It's really bizarre.
46499.jpg

... But, like the animated film, the art style is still good and the animation is... entertaining.
tumblr_nk4ri9nY5c1tttzvco2_400.gif

You can catch in on Youtube.
Part 1

It's certainly a bizarre curiosity.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Garden of Words was released by Sentai Filmworks, actually. Thanks for the sentiment, though.

Someone else asked about future game-based releases. Fatal Fury is already out on DVD, with some great covers by Brady from LabZero (he deserves all the credit for how those releases turned out). And the Street Fighter TV cartoon is getting reissued also. But Blu-ray is a bit trickier, and Discotek can only put out so much per year. Unfortunately, long-term plans are above my pay grade.
Lol I had a tremendous brain fart. I mean to write The Castle of Cagliostro.

entremet

I have no idea why this bizarre myth pervades on GAF: censorship does not have to be government-enforced. A 'censor' was originally an 'assessor', and in modern usage, a censor is simply an assessor of some kind who has removed material or withheld content specifically for fear that said material will do harm.

Doesn't matter if the Japanese government censored Chun-Li's breasts or if it was Capcom Japan: her breasts were removed by a censor from the original Japanese release because some people think that boobs are harmful to society. Her breasts were censored. The same applies to the profane language and nudity that was removed from various versions of the film in the west.

"Uncensored" in this context means "without removal of content on arbitrary moral grounds." It's a little more dramatic than a word like 'uncut', but it's perfectly accurate.

Censorship differs from localization in that censored material is always, by defintion, removed for reasons of public protection. Replacing the Japanese OST with western bands was not censorship.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/censoring

Thanks for this post. It's so silly to think censorship is government only. Silly logic from other threads is invading this one.

Tizoc

Just because I can, I thought I'd share the fact this movie has a very bizarre "spin-off" by much of the same animated movie team.

Street Fighter II Yomigaeru Fujiwara-Kyou

It's just an educational short film where Ken, Ryu, Chun-Li, and E. Honda go back in time and learn about Japanese history. It's really bizarre.
46499.jpg

... But, like the animated film, the art style is still good and the animation is... entertaining.
tumblr_nk4ri9nY5c1tttzvco2_400.gif

You can catch in on Youtube.
Part 1

It's certainly a bizarre curiosity.

Capcom did something similar with Megaman/Rockman too.

Oh and just wanted to post the best villain track in a japanese video game based anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvgRWyzENes
This is my jam when Ryu and Ken beat up Dictator.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
SF II Animated movie, wow haven't seen it in ages but I can recall some of those scenes in my minds eye, and wow the boss walk scene is still great :)

Tizoc

I enjoyed the Fatal Fury OVA's and Movie more. Better shower scene too >_> <_<.

tumblr_n90nh7aIDB1re6nxeo1_400.gif

I enjoy SFII aswell though, the start with Ryu and Sagat is really great.

Don't you dare make me go back and watch them. I can't stand taht artstyle =_=
Plus the first 2 movies had forced female love interest that dies I think?
Also bishi Krauser

Oh god my head...

I just want to clarify that, AFAIK, the Japanese releases of the film have all been uncensored. Only the pre-Blu-ray international releases have been messed with.

Recall

The only anime in existence where the western dub and soundtrack are insanely superior in every way.

I love the sound track so much.

Sagat had a very important role in the movie. Being defeated by an exhausted Ryu shows just how strong he and Ryu are. Ryu is the strongest fighter ever and he was tested by Sagat.

Sagat was then bitch slapped and put in his place by Bison. This guy had a good showing against Ryu but wouldn't dare speak his mind against Bison. This shows the audience that Bison is strong as hell.

Boxer had it worse. All he did was roll his Googley eyes off a cliff with Honda.

Top Bottom