• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V introducing "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" branding

Just how angry are you about the SFV PS4 Console Exclusive branding?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oppo

I know it's marketing, I'm just saying it doesn't seem particularly useful if you think about it.
Well, it doesn't really cost them anything, I guess.

arguably the main reason the SFV deal happened was to get that logo on that box. this is what they paid for, literal bragging rights.

Go on Phil, give Capcom a medium sized truck of money and get them to make Resident Evil 7 two years before schedule and make it exclusive to the Xbox, forever ;D

Rymuth

sYcEXFm.jpg
No salt in this thread at all.

It's about the ethics in videogame boxart labels
/s

Bgamer90

Banned
I get what others are saying about possible confusion -- the word "console" is right next to "PS4" and could therefore cause some to think the game is "exclusive to the PS4 console" (which, though wrong, is obviously a good thing for Sony).

A banner with simply "console exclusive game" would have been more clear in my opinion in terms of where the game can be played. Either way, these game box banners are nothing new; Pretty much expected the SFV box to have this months ago.

Nameless

The salty platform warring in this thread.

Sony will potentially have TWO direct competitors in the console space as soon as this fall. Someone please explain to me why highlighting the games you can't play on those other consoles is bad strategy?

Teletraan1

Banned
It is. People that post on gamer forums may understand what 'console exclusive' means but the average consumer does not. He will think that the game is available only for the Playstation 4 which is not true.

We live in a world with Google. If uninformed slob wants to buy something with no information then that is on them. This isn't the day and age where we had to wait for monthly magazines to feed us information. Everything you need to know if a few keystrokes/taps/clicks away.

A decade ago I could see your point. Not now.

Bgamer90

Banned
We live in a world with Google. If uninformed slob wants to buy something with no information then that is on them. This isn't the day and age where we had to wait for monthly magazines to feed us information. Everything you need to know if a few keystrokes and clicks away.

Heh, what is it with the name calling of people who simply don't follow up on gaming news? Reminds me exactly of what some here said about others possibly getting confused about the Wii U years back.

The banner will more than likely help parents who don't follow up on gaming think that this game is for PS4 only which would be reasonable (though obviously wrong).

Trago

HAhahahaha!

For real? I think that branding is stupid , as I've argued a million times, but hey, if it helps with sales.

I get what others are saying about possible confusion -- the word "console" is right next to PS4 and could therefore cause some to think the game is "exclusive to the PS4 console" (which is obviously a good thing for Sony).

A banner with simply "console exclusive game" would have been more clear in my opinion in terms of where the game can be played. Either way, these game box banners are nothing new; Pretty much expected the SFV box to have this months ago.
to be fair though, if the parent bought the Ps4 for their kid then it's more likely they'd buy the Ps4 version anyway. Otherwise they wouldn't if they saw their kid playing on the computer more.

Iokis

That's extremeley dishonest IMO

People ragging on this post know what he means. It's extremely misleading. Anyone not in the know could easily mistake it to mean PS4 only (as in not even on PC) due to the wording used.

Yes, technically not dishonest in the truest sense of the word, but somewhat mean-spirited in its intentions.

We live in a world with Google. If uninformed slob wants to buy something with no information then that is on them. This isn't the day and age where we had to wait for monthly magazines to feed us information. Everything you need to know if a few keystrokes/taps/clicks away.

I think you don't want to see my point. The label doesn't make it at all clear that the game is not a full exclusive. The phrasing is such that one could easily assume there is no other version. You can't put any label you want on your product and then ask the consumer to 'google it'. There are rules and regulations against that sort of thing, especially in Europe.

Trago

People ragging on this post know what he means. It's extremely misleading. Anyone not in the know could easily mistake it to mean PS4 only (as in not even on PC) due to the wording used.

Yes, technically not dishonest in the truest sense of the word, but somewhat mean-spirited in its intentions.

I'd argue that it is. "PS4 console exclusive" is not informative to the average consumer about this game's availability on other platforms. It's a fucking list warz term that's taken seriously now.

I prefer it being in the blue part. Nothing worse than having the main image ruined ala MGSV with it's Day One Edition BS. This is horrible too would rather it in the green header

recore-box-art-1.jpg

I don't know why people are getting so uptight about this. Its just marketing and is hardly going to make a great deal of difference to sales. If just one person buys SFV because of this little label, I'd be surprised.

Kayant

Am really don't get the confusion some people are talking about here.

"PS4 CONSOLE" on it's own translates to nothing without the context from the following line other than being the same as the logo on the left side which is that the game is for PS4.

Looking at the way it's presented it's done in a way to save space in the blue strip because of the PS4 logo on the left. Putting it all on one line will mean either a smaller font or even uglier presentation. The use of the bold seems to used to highlight what kind of exclusive the game is.

I get from there was no PS4 logo at all and it was presented like that it could be hard to interpret it.

I'd argue that it is. "PS4 console exclusive" is not informative to the average consumer about this game's availability on other platforms. It's a fucking list warz term that's taken seriously now.
I would argue it's only slightly because whilst it doesn't say PC/PS4 it also tells you that it's is only available on the PS4 as far as consoles are considered.They are not heavily invested in PC none own a OS like MS do so I can see why aren't actively advertising a platform they have no real vested interest in.

Footos22

I prefer it being in the blue part. Nothing worse than having the main image ruined ala MGSV with it's Day One Edition BS. This is horrible too would rather it in the green header

recore-box-art-1.jpg

Well that label didnt last long but yeah, hate the little bits they add on to banners instead of it being in the banner

Trago

I would argue it's only slightly because whilst it doesn't say PC/PS4 it also tells you that it's is only available on the PS4 as far as consoles are considered.They are not heavily invested in PC none own a OS like MS do so I can see why aren't actively advertising a platform they have no real vested interest in.

Makes me wonder if Microsoft will bring back the "Only on Xbox & Windows" branding with their upcoming first party games.

Bgamer90

Banned
Am really don't getting the confusion some people are talking about here.

"PS4 CONSOLE" on it's own translates to nothing without the context from the following line other than being the same as the logo on the left side which is that the game is for PS4.

Looking at the way it's presented it's done in a way to space space in the blue strip because of the PS4 logo on the left. Putting it all one one line will mean either a smaller font or even uglier presentation.

But it would also mean being easier to understand that it's a console exclusive (and not a true exclusive).

Either way though, I agree that many who are buying this game in stores probably don't play on PC anyway so this isn't a problem to get worked up about (e.g.: "How dare you Sony!!!").

Makes me wonder if Microsoft will bring back the "Only on Xbox & Windows" branding with their upcoming first party games.

Yeah, more than likely.

Kayant

I think there is a high chance they will especially because they will be more than likely be Windows Store exclusive means 100% revenue.

Zemm

gamers must be the most confused set of people ever. First simple PC settings in games, now these labels. You'd think we can barely tie our laces with the way some people go on.

jaypah

This is such a non-issue for me. I'm buying on PC but I see nothing wrong with this. The placement isn't even obnoxious to me.

Edit: oh God, the console war is getting gross again lol

Kayant

But it would also mean being easier to understand that it's a console exclusive instead of a true exclusive.

Either way though, I agree that many who are buying this game in stores probably don't play on PCs anyway so this isn't a problem to get worked up about (e.g.: "How dare you Sony!!!").
Yh I agree "console exclusive game" would be best way to go but "console exclusive game" on one line would have the same problem of space especially if they want to integrate the PS buttons like they have done but yh.
Exclusives are awesome as long as they are Playstation exclusives. Otherwise they suck.
Here we go again...

OK I fixed the honesty problem Capcom and Sony you can just mail me my check.

bJZaaBX.jpg

You do realize that Sony is partially funding it, probably has made a permanent exclusivity deal with Capcom because of it and Capcom themselves have stated they're not going to be doing any re-releases as they've done with past street fighter game?

There really is 0% chance of it coming to Xbox One.

Pompadour

That's extremeley dishonest IMO

I assume the reason they put "PS4 Console Exclusive" on the case is because people like the quoted mistakenly believe SFV will come to the XB1 eventually. I'll be happy if this lessens the "whatever, I'll wait to play SUPER Street Fighter V on my Xbox" comments.

For RE7 Uncle Phil might need a bigger truck.

Capcom are skint and cant afford to start production until around mid 2018 with a release in 2021.

Phil delivers a brown envelope with a wad of cash in it then bingo! He secures the earlier release of a game a lot of people love and everyone's happy.

:)

Top Bottom