• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Systems Trailer and hands-on impressions

Can someone expalin to me how the Season stuff works on Killer Instinct. Do they announce characters one buy one then release them all at once. Or do characters get released one by one.
They announce a season, you can buy the entire season and get the characters as they release or buy characters separately

Sesha

It almost sounds like people are thinking this is going to be another 3rd Strike or something. I'd rather they play it safe and the gameplay be dope as fuck, than have a cast of weirdos that sheds doubt on whether or not we'll see another SF game again. [/SPOILER]

Not this bullshit again.

Kimosabae

Banned
It's not about not having iconic SF characters, but if we have a limited roster we don't need every single face from Super Turbo to show up before DLC

I get people wanting stuff like Ken, Akuma or Sagat but I'm sure we can live without Blanka, Gief or Dhalsim for once.

There's no version of this that doesn't read "You should want what I want". Those are staple characters with fanbases too that help define the series. I'd rather have a cast of nothing but Super Turbo stalwarts if that helps the game sell. The DLC can work both ways: it can be used to satisfy various tastes now or later. People should be more worried about how the game plays rather than what characters will be in imo, because you just don't have any control over this shit.

qcf x2

People are being silly. You can flip that argument: if you don't want a cast of iconic SF characters - you can play a different FG series.

It almost sounds like people are thinking this is going to be another 3rd Strike or something. I'd rather they play it safe and the gameplay be dope as fuck, than have a cast of weirdos that sheds doubt on whether or not we'll see another SF game again.

I'm not saying I want the SF2 cast back or don't want a unique cast, but you have to be realistic. The game has to sell.

Which is more important to you? The longevity of the series' solid brand of gameplay or your Marvel-style dream cast?

Maybe I'm just unique in not really caring about the characters in a FG as long as the foundational gameplay is good.

Unless it's Blazblue

I can't speak for everyone, but I've always felt that SF was the best fighting game franchise in spite of its character designs.

SNK has had better character designs since the mid 90s, and it isn't even close IMO. But the gameplay, the balance, the rebalancing, all of that is what makes Street Fighter the best. The designs always kind of sucked, and most of them were direct or indirect ripoffs (or, let's say, heavily inspired) rather than truly original anyway.

Kimosabae

Banned
I can't speak for everyone, but I've always felt that SF was the best fighting game franchise in spite of its character designs.

SNK has had better character designs since the mid 90s, and it isn't even close IMO. But the gameplay, the balance, the rebalancing, all of that is what makes Street Fighter the best. The designs always kind of sucked, and most of them were direct or indirect ripoffs (or, let's say, heavily inspired) rather than truly original anyway.

I can empathize though I don't agree. Nostalgia goes a long way in giving the cast its charm, as I'm sure most were introduced to Capcom before SNK.

I do feel like Ryu and Chun need a bit of a makeover, even though this is the best they've looked since SF3.

KAL2006

Banned
They announce a season, you can buy the entire season and get the characters as they release or buy characters separately

Cool I hope Street Fighter V works the same way.

Season 1
1. Ryu
2. Ken
3. Chunli
4. Charlie
5. Bison
6. Cammy
7. Birdie
8. Hagger
9. Maki
10. Juri
11. Q
12. Karin
13. New
14. New
15. New
16. New - Boss

Season 2
1. Alex
2. Sakura
3. Guile
4. Sodom
5. Dudley
6. Dhalsim
7. Oro
8. Makoto
9. Akuma - Boss

Season 3
1. Abel
2. R. Mika
3 Geki
4. Elena
5 Guy
6. Cody
7. Zanguef
8. Blanka
9. Urien - Boss

They can also ave a Season 4 for more characters

Cool I hope Street Fighter V works the same way.

But SFV isn't free to play? I say go the Dota 2 route. Release characters for free and make money of having a shit load of cosmetic skins released that you can buy with in game currency that you can pay cash for or earn while playing. I know some people rather have skin packs like they did with SFIV but I probably ended up spending way more than those than I have on Smite for the skins I wanted.

qcf x2

I can empathize though I don't agree. Nostalgia goes a long way in giving the cast its charm, as I'm sure most were introduced to Capcom before SNK.

I do feel like Ryu and Chun need a bit of a makeover, even though this is the best they've looked since SF3.

I guess it depends on where they were introduced to Street Fighter. For me it was the arcades in the early to mid 90s, so I saw Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, KoF, etc. I still went to play Street Fighter Alpha instead, because it "felt" better (also had better sound design, which is important in an arcade).

I understand the nostalgia factor and the want for familiarity, those are natural things. But that's why Capcom keeps including Ryu, Ken and Chun. And this time around they're including Bison and probably Cammy again. There's enough to satisfy the nostalgic wants of people who like the old designs, and I'm sure there will be a few more SF2 characters before all is said and done. I just wonder how many of the people who feel like it isn't Street Fighter or "it's SF3 again" if it doesn't include Sim, Gief, Blanka, Claw and Honda honestly pick those characters regularly compared to the rest of the cast. If the answer is no, then why not have them replaced with characters who could potentially better, who could potentially become the next "iconic" designs in a series that could use some new stars? They went ultra safe (pun) with SF4, and that game is still around and still playable on current gen consoles. Options are a good thing.

Westlo

Lets be real.... when people say SF3 was lacking in the cast, they aren't talking about Blanka, Sim, Honda etc. It was where is Chun, Akuma, (yeah they were in updates, didn't exactly help New Generation) Sagat, Cammy, Sakura (the most popular Alpha/Zero character by far), Guile, Dict. You know the series staples. Oh they're in Zero 3, lets play that instead... (cept Guile who only made it to Zero 3 console edition IIRC)

It's obvious Capcom realized the cast was lacking since they included Ryu and Ken in the original game when Sean was supposed to be the shoto character of that gen.... (2nd Impact Sean da gawd....) Than broke the emergency glass for Akuma and Chun Li in the next two revisions. That's their 4 most popular sf characters they put into a game that was suppose to be an entirely new cast....

Dali

If you want SF2 characters, there are a couple of games you could play:

Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Street Fighter II
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter X Tekken
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos
Street Fighter EX
Street Fighter EX 2
Street Fighter EX 3
Street Fighter: The Movie
I don't want sf2 characters. I liked what they did with sf3. They kept the iconic characters and replaced the rest. If it weren't for sf3 people wouldn't be asking for q, makoto, Sean, etc. They need to do another refresh after sfiv.

I really hope it doesn't go the season route.

A roughly yearly to 18 months dlc cycle is acceptable.

You by the patch / budget disc get some new characters. And stages. In 2018 version some new mechanic changes.

But not this individual character nonsense. Especially drip fed.

The game should stay static for solid periods of time. So matchups and gameplay and balance can be understood.

Kelsdesu

thats the point that it whiffs. If it didn't whiff you can ALWAYS option select it.

Its really stupid in 3s. And I say this as a person who primarily played 3s and hated playing sf4.

You make it sound like its easy. You still have to guess what they may do.

Like you I hated 4, I felt like it was a step backwards for the series. I get the same vibe from this as well. Gimmicks, and come back factor shenanigans haven't sold me.

Difference of opinion I suppose. Cheers anyway.

fader

what you mean OS it? Yeah even before I knew of srk and looked shit up I had a ghetto OS that I came up with.

foward = parry was one of the dumbest thing ever in terms of game design.

very hard to disagree.

next on the list though is two button dust attack.

I would love if Ken took a break.

I just want them to take another crack at Poison. Why did they give her 6-pack/washboard abs in SFIV? Ugh... she's not Miss Universe. Also, she doesn't have any bangs coming from under her hat.... Don't judge me. :p

She should look graceful and lady shaped, like this.
poison-ts-walk.gif
poiston-bendover.gif
poison-neck-ts.gif
poiston-cuffs.gif

I like both Poison models, but I think the muscles they gave her made sense because she is in a game that is primarily littered with steroid-abusing, muscular men and body builders with 12-18 packs where even the sumo wrestler has a six pack for whatever reason. Chun Li looks kind of "smaller" or less muscular, so I would imagine that other females could be less toned in this one. Cammy will still probably be muscular though.

Like you I hated 4, I felt like it was a step backwards for the series. I get the same vibe from this as well. Gimmicks, and come back factor shenanigans haven't sold me.

SF4 isn't a step back. Its actual SF for the most part.

3rd strike isn't street fighter at all compared to ST and SF4. Its the least street fighter game out of the main series (imo) due to the parry system

I just hate playing sf4, but i do enjoy it.

3s took a lot of guessing out because there were numerous OS. Chun players (which were super popular) always OS everything. Its easy to do. The only hard part was countering OS, which in itself a bad situation.

You have a bunch of low to mid level players doing parry OS, while mainly the higher skilled players doing the counter-OS (which in itself was an OS most likely). Of course other skills come into play but to say OS didn't come to play in 3s is being really naive.

Vice

Street Fighter is filled with gimmicks and has had comeback mechanics since supers. Stuff like Urien's aegis reflector setups, genei jin, Vega's wall dives and custom combos were all just as much bullshit as what is in SF4 if not more so. Characters with over powered and gimmicky nonsense have always been a part of Strreet Fighter.

Infinite

Street Fighter is filled with gimmicks and has had comeback mechanics since supers. Stuff like Urien's aegis reflector setups, genei jin, Vega's wall dives and custom combos were all just as much bullshit as what is in SF4 if not more so. Characters with over powered and gimmicky nonsense have always been a part of Strreet Fighter.
I don't completely agree with you but I always chuckle when someone complains about ultra and comeback mechanics but seem completely fine with supers which are by all intents and purposes comeback mechanics

Uraizen

Banned
what you mean OS it? Yeah even before I knew of srk and looked shit up I had a ghetto OS that I came up with.

foward = parry was one of the dumbest thing ever in terms of game design.

Yeah, it was my first real OS. No risk in doing it, so why not? Other than that, I did use it to make hard reads, too. That is what I have missed most about parries being absent.

Nyoro SF

If you listened to GAF describe 3S parry system you would think all 3S matches are nothing but parry fests where no fighting of any kind actually happens

It's hilarious

stn

I think Capcom really needs this game to be a winner, hence why I feel they should stick with the popular characters and just add new ones. I don't have a lot of confidence in Capcom's current design team for a few reasons.

El Fuerte - he's just TERRIBLE. I don't know what else to say.
Rufus - he sucks. What's worse is that the original King Corba concept looked awesome.
Seth - he is basically Urien without hair. I'd rather have Urien, he's great.
Abel - he's actually not THAT bad but certainly not great.

I really only like Juri and C. Viper, though I HATE the way C. Viper plays. Also, a lot of the 3rd Strike characters took a while to grow on me, such as Oro. Though I'm still not a fan of Necro, Twelve, or Remy.

I think Capcom really needs this game to be a winner, hence why I feel they should stick with the popular characters and just add new ones. I don't have a lot of confidence in Capcom's current design team for a few reasons.

Rufus - he sucks. What's worse is that the original King Corba concept looked awesome.

I really only like Juri and C. Viper, though I HATE the way C. Viper plays. Also, a lot of the 3rd Strike characters took a while to grow on me, such as Oro. Though I'm still not a fan of Necro, Twelve, or Remy.
Abel was the best design in IV IMO, hands down.

If he wasn't a newcomer, it wouldn't be hard to imagine that he was a longtime veteran of the series.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sakura is the most popular alpha character, she should secure a spot on the roster for sure

Ferrio

Banned
I would love if Ken took a break.

I just want them to take another crack at Poison. Why did they give her 6-pack/washboard abs in SFIV? Ugh... she's not Miss Universe. Also, she doesn't have any bangs coming from under her hat.... Don't judge me. :p

She should look graceful and lady shaped, like this.
poison-ts-walk.gif
poiston-bendover.gif
poison-neck-ts.gif
poiston-cuffs.gif

I'd love another take at poison, only cause I thought her moveset in SxT and SF4 was boring as shit. A fireball, a rising kick, overhead kick, and a freaking rekka... that's like creatively bankrupt.

Westlo

Super Turbo had SF2 OGs saying it sucked ass due to Supers... I like how people act like half life supers aren't a come back factor or something lol.

Csr

Good point, personally besides juri i don't like any of the new characters in sfiv both in gameplay and in design. They are not very popular in polls either.

Birdie is very very low in the polls as well, weird that they didn't choose someone else allthough having a vision and not just doing what the crowd wants can be a good thing.

Just put akuma in and we are good capcom. (I wonder what his v-skill and v-triger would be)

If you listened to GAF describe 3S parry system you would think all 3S matches are nothing but parry fests where no fighting of any kind actually happens

It's hilarious

You can be passive aggressive and avoid actually talking about the subject. Thats cool. I heard that is a "gaf" thing to do as well.

Nobody that I have seen so far mentioned that 3s was nothing more than parry city. But you can no deny parries being forward made it so that you can OS a majority of your moves/movement.

I play 3s pretty much everyday either at the arcades or on dreamcast. I know most games aren't parry city but I also do know that most players are doing an OS in regards to the parry system pending on the match.

Skilletor

Super Turbo had SF2 OGs saying it sucked ass due to Supers... I like how people act like half life supers aren't a come back factor or something lol.

Comeback mechanics mean you're getting rewarded for getting beat up. Supers in St don't fit that. I can get supers while beating you up. I never get an ultra of if I don't take enough damage.

Vice

Comeback mechanics mean you're getting rewarded for getting beat up. Supers in St don't fit that. I can get supers whole beating you up. I never get an ultra of i don't take enough damage.
Of course you can. The Rose player Luffy's gameplan in several matches is to focus absorb as many attcls as possible to get ultra 2 multiple times per match. Other easy to combo or use ultras are used in the same way. Xfactor in Marvel is often used to maintain a lead. Etc. comback mechanics come in many forms. In ST you can gain enough meter by getting hit or blocking to get a super which leads to huge damage, that many players would say, is unbalanced and shift the focus of the game from fundamentals to explosive damage you got by losing.

And they're fair. Especially in SF where offense has huge rewards in the form of dizzy, better meter gain and strong setups. And, comparing the rewards for winning and losing usually ends up with the winning player having better and easier to use tools to maintain the lead.

Top Bottom