• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Substance Engine benchmark implies PS4 CPU is faster than Xbox One's

Skeff

It was said to be better because the upclock did make the XB1s better than the 1.6Ghz CPU PS4 had earlier in the year (and with no mention or hint of an upgrade).

Why mention an upgrade for something that was never officially released? That was information on one of there Alpha Devkits, it was also noted that Audio processing hardware was not yet in the devkit.

tbm24

Why mention an upgrade for something that was never officially released? That was information on one of there Alpha Devkits, it was also noted that Audio processing hardware was not yet in the devkit.

I believe the point is what was reported is what was known at the time. I don't see how anyone can be upset that no one reported otherwise since no one knew.

The specs of the ps4 vs xbox one are pretty well known at this point - the ps4 has a significant advantage.
The ps3 did have more raw power than the 360 but was handicapped in the beginning of the generation because of devs unfamiliarity with the cell and coming to grips with the ps3's split ram pool. Because of this the 360 had more effective power in the early stages of the generation.

"It’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, and they are doing it again."

is a direct quote from Albert Pennello, MS employee and lead planner for Xbone.

NBtoaster

To counter MS's trumpetting and solidify their "most powerful games console" PR?

Skeff

I believe the point is what was reported is what was known at the time. I don't see how anyone can be upset that no one reported otherwise since no one knew.

No ones upset no one reported otherwise as that would be odd, but to take unsubstantiated rumors and use them as fact in technical articles was wrong, it should simply not have been mentioned which was the faster CPU.

MMaRsu

Banned
so basically it has only been about a month and already every single point in that post by albert has proven to be utter bullshit or misdirection

laughing_dolls.gif

Should be banned imo for spreading fud

NBtoaster

No ones upset no one reported otherwise as that would be odd, but to take unsubstantiated rumors and use them as fact in technical articles was wrong, it should simply not have been mentioned which was the faster CPU.

It wasn't just a rumor, it was clocks calculated from Guerrila's presentation. Also from vgleaks rumors and 1.6Ghz being the 'sweet spot' for Jaguar CPUs.

Nafai1123

Banned
It wasn't just a rumor, it was clocks calculated from Guerrila's presentation. Also from vgleaks rumors and 1.6Ghz being the 'sweet spot' for Jaguar CPUs.

It was definitely a rumor. Just because some people ate it up as fact doesn't mean it was officially confirmed by Sony.

coldfoot

Banned
It was definitely a rumor. Just because some people ate it up as fact doesn't mean it was officially confirmed by Sony.
The devkit that demo'ed Shadow Fall in february had 4GB RAM and was clocked at 1.6GHz, this is a fact, not a rumor.
We know they've upped the memory to 8GB, we do not know if the cpu clock was upgraded, that's still a rumor.

Skeff

So:

Guerilla = pre-alpha devkit
VG leaks rumor = rumor
Sweet sport = TDP/heat info about a chip, not really any more weighted than operates up to 2Ghz to be honest.

The CPU boost the XB1 had was lauded as a fact that it is faster than the PS4 CPU and was based on no solid information and has turned out to be wrong.

The devkit that demo'ed Shadow Fall in february had 4GB RAM and was clocked at 1.6GHz, this is a fact, not a rumor.
We know they've upped the memory to 8GB, we do not know if the cpu clock was upgraded, that's still a rumor.

Since then OS allocations changed, Memory size changed, memory bandwidth changed, Dedicated Audio hardware added.

It was a fact the clock was 1.6ghz on pre-alpha devkit but there was no proof this remained the same when so many other things about the console changed.

NBtoaster

So:

Guerilla = pre-alpha devkit
VG leaks rumor = rumor
Sweet sport = TDP/heat info about a chip, not really any more weighted than operates up to 2Ghz to be honest.

The CPU boost the XB1 had was lauded as a fact that it is faster than the PS4 CPU and was based on no solid information and has turned out to be wrong.

Still enough reason to think. Even more when Sony doesn't correct it.

And it still could be true, and MS just reserves much more CPU for the OS.

Zarx

Wow they must be wizards over there using 4.6GB of RAM on a system with only 4GB of RAM! I guess the OS must have been using -600MB lol.
Valient_Killzone_Shadow_Fall_Demo_Postmortem-6.jpeg

Skeff

Still enough reason to think. Even more when Sony doesn't correct it.

And it still could be true, and MS just reserves much more CPU for the OS.

Your right, there's a few reasons to think it, but articles such as the digital foundry comparison articles shouldn't be about assumptions and probably's should they? I'm not trying to argue that no one should have considered it was still 1.6ghz, and I'm not trying to suggest someone should have assumed the PS4's CPU was faster, I'm simply saying caution should have been taken when writing articles about the consoles. Regarding that it could just be due to CPU allocations, again your right, but this should have been discussed properly in the articles but it wasn't.

Endo Punk

Kinect was the worst thing to happen to MS. It completely changed the direction of the Xbox. MS need to purchase exclusives more than ever now, the XBL advantage isn't there anymore so they need exclusive games to entice people, I mean the power advantage is gone too and Sony has all of their 10 odd studios making PS4 games. I gotta say though MS has the better launch titles so they win the first fight.

Seeing the OS for XO at launch, hardware, inferior dev tools, pricing, etc. What other evidence do you need that suggests it was rushed out the door to compete with Sony's launch? Its half-baked. Especially the OS and tools.

That SCREAMS panic. Not to mention a few insiders have stated as much before launch.

Honestly curious how you deduce it wasn't panic from all the info we know.

I think another thing that tells me the console was rushed is the physical design. It's basically a computer case with components inside it. That's why it's so bulky.

jsip

Banned
I have posted before of his straight up lies . Including ESRAM numbers that he said were confirmmed back in his office and then just same day latter the tech fellow present showed totally different number.

Most predicted he will be no where to be seen after pre launch damage control. He reminds me of bluray vs hdvd fud prophet
Because he just doesn't talk about xb1 but also directly puts down ps4 and sony.
Still waiting for his apology he promised.
Did he promise one? I thought he wanted US to apologize to HIM for being wrong about the technical differences?

NBtoaster

Your right, there's a few reasons to think it, but articles such as the digital foundry comparison articles shouldn't be about assumptions and probably's should they? I'm not trying to argue that no one should have considered it was still 1.6ghz, and I'm not trying to suggest someone should have assumed the PS4's CPU was faster, I'm simply saying caution should have been taken when writing articles about the consoles. Regarding that it could just be due to CPU allocations, again your right, but this should have been discussed properly in the articles but it wasn't.

Perhaps. The articles aren't perfect.
The image you linked is from May, not February. Nice try.

Wasn't it discussing the unchanged February demo?

slapnuts

GPUs are a lot more important in consoles than CPUs. You can't compare a console to a phone or even a PC anyway. Different architecture, RAM, bandwidth, no bottleneck, no API overhead, closed system... You can squeeze a lot more power from a console.

Games are running more and more through the GPU these days. Everyone claiming that it's a mobile part is referring to a 4 core version. Both consoles have 8 cores. The CPU are sufficient for what needs to be done, nothing more. It's a big part of why PS4 is heavily customized for GPU compute functionality. You'll be able to do more both in compute and visuals with a heavier GPU these days than you will with a beefy CPU.

Two of the best posts in this thread. Why people are trying to compare these console spec's to mobile phones is baffling because its not even close! and same with comparing them to PC's because the PC platform is open and the high end PC setups are a minority of all PC setups out there.These consoles have plenty of power to get them through this new generation because they are closed systems with decent power. I have full confidence in what Sony and Cerny aimed for with the design of the PS4 hardware...much more so than some of the negative opinions in this thread downplaying what the PS4 and X1 have under their hood. I am quite sure Sony at least knew what the heck they were doing when designing their console, at least more so than some of peeps downplaying these new consoles in this thread. MS as well even though i personally feel Sony did a much better job at designing their machine power-wise.

With that said...Even myself as a avid PC gamer which i built my gaming rig last summer (which i still use) 3770K@4.6ghz, 7970VaporX@1200mhz Core/1600mhz Mem, 16gb ram,etc,etc....after playing PC games like Crysis 3 maxed out, BF3 maxed out,etc on my PC, I must say I still was more impressed with both Ryse on X1 and especially Killzone on PS4 than I was with Crysis 3 on my PC maxed out, not by leaps and bounds more impressed but still more impressed none the less and i think that says a lot for "launch games" on these new systems.

Both consoles will do just fine this generation. Personally my two gaming platforms of choice will be my gaming PC along with my PS4 which i bought on Black Friday. There would be NO WAY i could go this generation with just a gaming PC. There is going to be way too many great exclusives that will never see the light of day on the PC. Regardless if you choose X1 or PS4 ...both systems will provide enough great AAA games even though PS4 has that decent power advantage.

Finalizer

World ending, etc.

Seriously though, the majority of the power disparity is from the difference between the GPUs, which has been established for months. This is just more reason to laugh at Penello's posts from months earlier more than anything,

Seems strange Sony wouldn't promote this. They've promoted every other tech advantage why not this.

People have insisted this in the past, and I don't understand why. I really don't recall Sony focusing on tech much at all leading up to launch, other than the 8GB GDDR5 thing at the reveal, and just sticking with "most powerful console ever made" and leaving it at that. The most I remember is some prodding at the 720p/1080p kerfluffle. I think folks are conflating Sony statements with forum console warz.

AmyS

Heh, Cerny made sure PS4 would have nearly every advantage over XBone.

Microsoft couldn't catch a single break in 2013.

delta25

Banned
All this talk about next gen consoles and the power of the hardware or lack thereof, yet when I look at games like Killzone and Ryse I tell myself...who gives a shit when the games look this good.

So either the test is per-core, and the PS4 is clocked at 2 GHz compared to 1.75 GHz for XBone, or the test is per-CPU, and both are clocked at 1.75 GHz but XBone reserves two cores while PS4 only reserves one? Either way the PS4 is faster than the 1.6 GHz we all thought, it seems.

Why are we unsure whether the benchmark is per-core or per-CPU? Isn't that something we should be able to look up somewhere?

I was just thinking that. Classic snake oil salesmen, run the con then get the hell out of town.
Well, he does refer to himself as an "old school" marketer. ;)

Freaking logic. Test shows spectrum from mobile performance to high-end desktop performance. Its like given that i7 is for desktop CPU and there are no i7 desktop CPUs with two cores.
How mobile i7 far to this? Like what would be a reason to test mobile unit for highest spectrum of Your performance test?
I'm confused. In your first post in the thread, you indicated you were surprised by the comparatively poor performance of the generic "i7," but now you seem to be arguing they wouldn't use anything other than a top-of-the-line chip.

HokieJoe

Such as? All the launch games for both platforms were underwhelming, and Sony's first party is undeniably stronger than MS's. With 343i at the helm of Halo, I feel it's relevance will just continue to get smaller and smaller

Opinions, assholes, and all that.

NeoGash

Man the Xbox One is so damn bad. Why didn't Microsoft listen to their fans? Uuugh this is so tragic and pathetic, thanks for nothing. Hope they are (Dream)cast out of town and another company picks up the Xbox brand or makes a worthy competitor to PS5.

coldfoot

Banned

onQ123

Man the Xbox One is so damn bad. Why didn't Microsoft listen to their fans? Uuugh this is so tragic and pathetic, thanks for nothing. Hope they are (Dream)cast out of town and another company picks up the Xbox brand or makes a worthy competitor to PS5.

The Xbox One really isn't that bad PS4 just happen to be better & cheaper.

Cidd

Is this a joke post?

The Xbone is good for what it sets out to do, Games like Ryse and Forza 5 looks great for launch titles. some people are just blowing this out of proportion now.

Truespeed

Both CPU's are a wash anyway. The fact that the PS4 CPU outperforms the Xbox One is just extra salt. Besides, isn't 10% of the CPU reserved for the Kinect?

Could be ps4's leaner OS and Xbone's virtualization layer that makes ps4 faster.

I'm more surprised that core i7 is only about 2x faster 8 core jaguars though. I was expecting much much more.

Ataxia

:lol :lol

What am I reading.

Top Bottom