• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Substance Engine benchmark implies PS4 CPU is faster than Xbox One's

There's an weird pleasure/fetiche running on this thread, a really weird one for sure.

I think it's more a case of, for all Microsoft's nonsense about specs and their CPU upclock, they are behind in every single aspect of their console to their competition. If anything, it would be weirder if Microsoft weren't being called out for blatantly lying and the media for assuming the CPU was faster in the XBO.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The art direction is superb in Ryse. Killzone has lots of beige, and grey.
Killzone as a series does but Shadow Fall is very colorful. Art direction isn't just adding lots of colors anyway, few colors used to great effect can be just as artistic.

BigDug13

Not sure why Ryse is now in the conversation. Crytek are wizards and if they had built Ryse on PS4 with these known specs, it would most likely shit on the Ryse that we see now graphically.

Are people really of the mindset that Crytek's great looking game means that the XBO does not have a significant performance gulf below the PS4? Because if it was on PS4, it would look significantly better than it does now and at 1080p.

imt558

Banned
The art direction is superb in Ryse. Killzone has lots of beige, and grey.

Ryse has also grey colors:

marius2_by_raziel1992-d6ujs7v.gif

I really wanna know did you ever see some Killzone game, at least screenshots?

Krilekk

Banned
Not sure why Ryse is now in the conversation. Crytek are wizards and if they had built Ryse on PS4 with these known specs, it would most likely shit on the Ryse that we see now graphically.

Are people really of the mindset that Crytek's great looking game means that the XBO does not have a significant performance gulf below the PS4? Because if it was on PS4, it would look significantly better than it does now and at 1080p.

Well, we have games like Need for Speed that look the same and run the same resolution and framerate on both platforms. And Ryse started as a 360 game. So there's that. Or look at the last gen. Apparantly 360 was the more powerful platform (as can be seen by looking at nearly every multiplatform title) but the most beautiful games were made on PS3. Anything is possible when you design a game around a console's shortcomings and for its strengths. Games will be built for X1 as the lowest common base. Which means they'll run in 30 fps without VSync on X1 and 30 fps with VSync (cause they can run at 45 fps) on PS4. They will look the same, play the same. Rushed launch titles don't tell the true story about power differences.

QaaQer

I mean I find it hilarious too, don't get me wrong. But this is how corrosive it was... I actually even thought XBO's CPU was better. This is how fucked up the reporting was. And I consider myself extremely abreast of the situation. If the job of these places is not to CORRECTLY inform gamers, what is the point? Why is it GAF has to always show me the truth?

IIRC, you liked Albert and thought his presence here was a good thing as well.

I say bah humbug to PR fellows!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, we have games like Need for Speed that look the same and run the same resolution and framerate on both platforms. And Ryse started as a 360 game. So there's that. Or look at the last gen. Apparantly 360 was the more powerful platform (as can be seen by looking at nearly every multiplatform title) but the most beautiful games were made on PS3. Anything is possible when you design a game around a console's shortcomings and for its strengths. Games will be built for X1 as the lowest common base. Which means they'll run in 30 fps without VSync on X1 and 30 fps with VSync (cause they can run at 45 fps) on PS4. They will look the same, play the same. Rushed launch titles don't tell the true story about power differences.

The PS3 had more raw power, but that power was much harder to fully utilize than on the simpler 360. Most devs never quite got there, so the majority of multiplats remained superior (or on par) on the 360. Sony's 1st party studios did manage to tap into that power, however, and that's why many PS3 exclusives are beyond anything seen on the 360.

This generation things are different. We now have two consoles based on the very same architecture, with one simply being more powerful. The XBO has no discernable advantages or "strengths", like the PS3 did, it's simply a weaker (and also a bit more complicated, due to the memory setup) version of the same thing. It can never do what the PS3 did.

Yeah that is why CoD is 720p vs 1080p, BF4 720 vs 900p, AC.... Parity is already proven false.

fade_

Surely this benchmark was taken on an Xbox One that was offline and not benefiting from the extra raw power of the cloud.

Whatever shit you're smoking is lay off of it, it's not good for your brain man. Lol

Seriously though why build for the X1 as lowest common base? Devs didn't do it when they were struggling with the PS3, so why is it that all of a sudden when the tables have turned that devs will suddenly change their mindset and gimp one platforms games?

jcracken

Banned
Yeah that is why CoD is 720p vs 1080p, BF4 720 vs 900p, AC.... Parity is already proven false.

And COD gets a better frame rate on X1 and BF4 was rushed and is broken on every platform. The only games that have a major resolution difference are those that have cross gen, PC, and Wii U (except for BF4). Let's wait and see to see how big the performance gap really is.

holy_bins

Neo Member
This generation things are different. We now have two consoles based on the very same architecture, with one simply being more powerful. The XBO has no discernable advantages or "strengths", like the PS3 did, it's simply a weaker (and also a bit more complicated, due to the memory setup) version of the same thing. It can never do what the PS3 did.

Exactly. There are some very clear non-biased articles that also discuss how the PS4 is just straight-up more powerful (e.g., Anandtech ). Games will look good on either console, but the PS4 has won the power argument.

As for which console will do better overall, only time will tell.

Hurley

And COD gets a better frame rate on X1 and BF4 was rushed and is broken on every platform. The only games that have a major resolution difference are those that have cross gen, PC, and Wii U (except for BF4). Let's wait and see to see how big the performance gap really is.

Better frame rate?

I thought it was the PS4 version running over 60fps that was causing issues.

TTSupra

Banned
And <b>COD gets a better frame rate on X1</b> and BF4 was rushed and is broken on every platform. The only games that have a major resolution difference are those that have cross gen, PC, and Wii U (except for BF4). Let's wait and see to see how big the performance gap really is.

Wrong

BigDug13

Oh so you're one of the ones that thinks since Crytek pulled off great graphics then that means the performance gulf doesn't exist, and you even bring up the drastically different architectures of the PS3 vs 360 in your argument, ignoring the fact that the PS3 had quite a few hardware advantages over the 360 when you coded to the Cell SPU's properly which took forever to do.

Racing games are racing games. They're simply easier to pull off graphically than other genres. The most graphically impressive games each generation usually have driving games on the list.

I believe COD's frame rate issues on PS4 are due to framerate rises over 60fps. So probably not the best example.

Since you compared this to PS3/360 then you already don't know that the hardware in PS4/X1 are practically the same except PS4 has better everything.

The power differences will show more in the future as games will look a lot better on PS4 when additional compute/ACE is used for Asynch GPGPU. Yes even the GPU was modified in PS4 for better GPGPU performance than X1.

The framerate was actually higher then 60FPS on ps4 which caused it to lag according to digital foundry so the gap is very much still there. BF4 being broken has nothing to do with the power of the machines. AC4 have 1080p on ps4 and not on xbox game is considered great.

fade_

yes, they are.

I'm surprised, company PRs whose purpose is solely to mislead people are not being banned in this forum

I honestly think they are just dishing out what they are told and probably dont know much about technical details. Am I naive?

I honestly think they are just dishing out what they are told and probably dont know much about technical details. Am I naive?

Then don´t post stuff as truth an let the "technical fellow" do the talking so we can at least have a reasonable person to question.

jaypah

Then don´t post stuff as truth an let the "technical fellow" do the talking so we can at least have a reasonable person to question.

Dude probably enjoys being employed. That's not to say that lies should be tolerated on GAF, just that dude is probably accustomed to his paycheck.

As far as I know, insiders passing on false info usually get banned.

Again, PM a redcoat. There's nothing any of us can do.

As broken as bf4 it is, it is awfully convenient that you forget to mention the ps4 version of bf4 runs at 900p vs 720p on the xbox one and with a much better framerate as well. And that every ps4 exclusive is 1080p. And that Assassins Creed is 1080p on ps4 vs 900p on Xbox also with a better framerate on the ps4.
Killzone looks as good as Ryse imo and it has a 44% resolution advantage (1080p vs 900p) with a better framerate.
COD has framerate issues on pc with the best cpus and gpus money can buy and the slowdowns on ps4 are in the same spots as the xbox one version and are barely worse on the ps4 than the xbox one.

Skeff

There's certainly an element of them not understanding, but sometimes they know they are being misleading. Although some of there statements will be wrong from lack of understanding, there are some others that are just plain sleezy.

Also as everyone is talking about Ryse vs. KZ:SF at the moment, let me just say there are times where Ryse is running 16fps and times where KZ is running at 60fps, just think about that. Ryse averages around 25fps. Looking pretty with drops to 16fps does not show a consoles strength, it shows it's weakness.

EGM1966

1st bolded - no the PS3 actually had slightly more power if the code was designed to fully utilize Cell architecture

2nd boleded - no anything is not possible. Sure better code and optimization on a weaker device can deliver better results than poor code on a stronger device but the factual limits of the hardware will always put a ceiling on everything otherwise we'd be running Ryse and Killzone SF on a PS1

3rd bolded - I don't think so now. With CoD, Battlefield and AC all delivering a bit more on PS4 I don't think we'll see artificial parity. And NFS still looks a little better on PS4 despite having the same framerate/resolution. Some games will look the same but graphical showcase games should always look better on PS4.

jaypah

As broken as bf4 it is, it is awfully convenient that you forget to mention the ps4 version of bf4 runs at 900p vs 720p on the xbox one and with a much better framerate as well. And that every ps4 exclusive is 1080p. And that Assassins Creed is 1080p on ps4 vs 900p on Xbox also with a better framerate on the ps4.
Killzone looks as good as Ryse imo and it has a 44% resolution advantage (1080p vs 900p) with a better framerate.
COD has framerate issues on pc with the best cpus and gpus money can buy and the slowdowns on ps4 are in the same spots as the xbox one version and are barely worse on the ps4 than the xbox one.

I see your intention and nothing is wrong with it but my BF4 definitely didn't run at 1080p. It still looked nice though and from what I've read was still better than the 180 version.

edit: ok, you edited. Now this post is useless. I'll just use this space to say that I did not like the Garbage Pail Kids movie even though I was a big fan of the cards at the time. BABABOOEY BABABOOEY!

I'm not referring to anything Albert did or did not say. I'm just stating what usually happens. If anything it's more fun having Albert on here.

Apologies. But, come on! You can see why I said what I said.

Zachi

Banned

passing on false info no matter what is bannable offense, especially as company representatives in the forum

]Well, we have games like Need for Speed that look the same and run the same resolution and framerate on both platforms[/B]. And Ryse started as a 360 game. So there's that. Or look at the last gen. Apparantly 360 was the more powerful platform (as can be seen by looking at nearly every multiplatform title) but the most beautiful games were made on PS3. Anything is possible when you design a game around a console's shortcomings and for its strengths. Games will be built for X1 as the lowest common base. Which means they'll run in 30 fps without VSync on X1 and 30 fps with VSync (cause they can run at 45 fps) on PS4. They will look the same, play the same. Rushed launch titles don't tell the true story about power differences.

Why are you ignoring the games that have a resolution and/or framerate advantage on ps4 vs xbox one ?
The ps3 had more raw power but due to the difficulty of working with the cell and the split ram pool the 360 had an effective power advantage in the early stages of the generation.
This time around the ps4 has a significant raw power advantage and is much more straghtforward to develop for.
Developers have never gimped multiplatforms to make the version on the weaker system appear equal to the version on the stronger system and they arent going to start now.

I see your intention and nothing is wrong with it but my BF4 definitely didn't run at 1080p. It still looked nice though and from what I've read was still better than the 180 version.

edit: ok, you edited. Now this post is useless. I'll just use this space to say that I did not like the Garbage Pail Kids movie even though I was a big fan of the cards at the time. BABABOOEY BABABOOEY!

Apologies. But, come on! You can see why I said what I said.

PS4 users are so used to games running at 1080p it practically types itself !
Yea I realised my screw up right after I posted.

Skeff

Bullshit.

ok 26

"Originally touted as a solid 30fps experience, Ryse misses the mark more often than we'd like with frame-rates often fluctuating between 26-28fps and the most challenging situations even seeing the frame-rate drop into the teens."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ryse-son-of-rome

Often at 26-28 sometimes drops to teens. It's not comparable to KZ:SF without taking into account framerate, even the KZ single player framerate hits the high 40's with an average in the mid 30's.

Bgamer90

Banned
Why are you ignoring the games that have a resolution and/or framerate advantage on ps4 vs xbox one ?

Developers have never gimped multiplatforms to make the version on the weaker system appear equal to the version on the stronger system and they arent going to start now.

They didn't "gimp" but there were a few cases of multiplatform games looking and/or being better on the PS2 than on the Xbox or GameCube -- mainly due to the Xbox and GameCube versions of some multiplatform games being handled by different teams; guessing it was due to the PS2 selling much more in some cases.

I doubt that there will be any cases of that in terms of the Xbox One vs. PS4 though.

They didn't "gimp" but there were a few cases of multiplatform games looking and/or being better on the PS2 than on the Xbox or GameCube -- mainly due to the Xbox and GameCube versions of some multiplatform games being handled by different teams; guessing it was due to the PS2 selling much more in some cases.

I doubt that there will be any cases of that in terms of the Xbox One vs. PS4 though.

To be clear, I meant that it wasnt done consistently before. There will probably a game now and then that publishers try it with.

strata8

ok 26

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ryse-son-of-rome

Often at 26-28 sometimes drops to teens. It's not comparable to KZ:SF without taking into account framerate, even the KZ single player framerate hits the high 40's with an average in the mid 30's.

Did you even watch the video they provided?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aVpCrhYYaI

That's averaging 30 a lot of the time, maybe 28/29. The minimum it hits in most situations is 26, and even then it's still averaging above that.

Killzone's higher framerate is impressive enough without you having to lie about Ryse's. 25fps average... lmao

jcracken

Banned
Better frame rate?

I thought it was the PS4 version running over 60fps that was causing issues.

I believe COD's frame rate issues on PS4 are due to framerate rises over 60fps. So probably not the best example.

The framerate was actually higher then 60FPS on ps4 which caused it to lag according to digital foundry so the gap is very much still there. BF4 being broken has nothing to do with the power of the machines. AC4 have 1080p on ps4 and not on xbox game is considered great.

COD runs higher but also drops much lower as well. I'm on my phone right now so I can't pull up the DF article quickly but they mentioned that the PS4 version has a lot of drops as well. BF4 being broken shows that it was rushed, so the higher amount of work needed to create a larger amount of parity was not put in. AC4 was 900p even after launch and only a patch brought it up to 1080p, showing that it was rushed and X1 running at 1080p wouldn't have had happened without work required post launch. Lastly, I never said both consoles will look exactly the same--PS4 will look better, but there isn't as much of a difference as people like to believe.

BigDug13

COD runs higher but also drops much lower as well. I'm on my phone right now so I can't pull up the DF article quickly but they mentioned that the PS4 version has a lot of drops as well. BF4 being broken shows that it was rushed, so the higher amount of work needed to create a larger amount of parity was not put in. AC4 was 900p even after launch and only a patch brought it up to 1080p, showing that it was rushed and X1 running at 1080p wouldn't have had happened without work required post launch. Lastly, I never said both consoles will look exactly the same--PS4 will look better, but there isn't as much of a difference as people like to believe.

But everything you're saying about the difference being small is not panning out so far. So really one side of the argument is a measurable difference being visible right now on current games and the other side of the argument is rampant speculation based on wishful thinking.

Bgamer90

Banned
To be clear, I meant that it wasnt done consistently before. There will probably a game now and then that publishers try it with.

I don't know. The reason why previous consoles (such as the original Xbox & Gamecube) were still treated like a "red headed stepchild" by some even though they were more powerful was due to how they sold. The PS4 shouldn't have those problems at all.

Xbox One versions of multiplats will at best be the same as the PS4 versions in terms of visuals -- can't fathom there being any case in which the system will actually have a multiplat game that will look better -- at least a multiplat game that's released across both systems at the same time (and not say, a PS4 timed exclusive).

Gameplay features may be a different story depending on certain future games but we'll see.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
SapientWolf said:
Would I be wrong if I said the last gen consoles CPUs had more raw computing power?
Depends what you mean by "raw computing power". For THIS particular benchmark, last gen consoles would "probably" yield higher performance on a per-core basis than PS4/X1 (And 1-SPE would likely be competitive with an I7 core).
But this is a very specialized workload and not particularly indicative of general CPU performance (nor does it say anything about comparisons with all cores utilized - eg. 360 just has less execution resources, period).

Great theory. Much logic. Now it's about rushed efforts, and that if you give devs time they will create a larger amount of parity. Incredible techno babble. Call when it happens.

Neither game has "superb" art direction.

You're blind. They're both stunning executions of cohesive art directions. Please don't confuse your opinion of the art direction with the quality of art direction. I am not a fan of the look of either, but to deny the production value is absurd.

If you were to say, you dislike their art direction, then I'd agree pretty wholeheartedly.

jcracken

Banned
But everything you're saying about the difference being small is not panning out so far. So really one side of the argument is a measurable difference being visible right now on current games and the other side of the argument is rampant speculation based on wishful thinking.

1. You are basing the comparison on launch games built on changing hardware that are often rushed out in time.

2. There are several sources of evidence that show that X1's tools were a mess before launch whereas the PS4 had more mature tools.

3. A CD Project Red dev came out and said that MS ends up being more open about their tools and shows devs more shortcuts later on in the generation whereas people have to create a network of devs in order to find the best ways to develop for Sony hardware.

4. The difference in the end, in my eyes, is probably going to be 900p vs. 1080p with the same effects. AC4 was like this, for one.

5. People usually don't count this but Kinect Sports Rivals is one of the nicest looking games on either console, and its running at 1080p on X1 whereas before they were planning to run at 720p, showing that the tools increased in quality enough to let them hit a better target.

Top Bottom