• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Substance Engine benchmark implies PS4 CPU is faster than Xbox One's

Ricky_R

cocr.jpg

velociraptor

I hate these types of posts since I don't see any developer whining about it.
While they may not be the best CPUs in the world, it's good enough to produce a game as good as looking as Killzone at launch. Furthermore, the game has an immediate boot with very quick loading. If a gimped CPU can do that, then I'm impressed.

CoG

misterxmedia. He hasn't spoken on it himself but someone tried to bring it up in the last page of the comments for the latest post and it was shot down quickly as fake. No reason cited other than "people love to bash Xbox". Delusion land, I almost feel sorry for how they all gather and refuse to look at the facts right in front of them, instead choosing to believe in some hidden power that MS doesn't want to talk about. Even if there was something hidden it's still resulting in worse multiplat games so why even hang your hat on it. Sad really.

misterxmedia is just a troll site. No person in their right mind would honestly think Microsoft hid silicon on their die by stacking it vertically so that at some time in the future it can be turned on and beat Sony. He's either 12 years old or a piss poor troll.

JordanN

Banned
Fun fact for both of you. Developers are bound by NDA's, which means you almost never hear them whine about either console, ever. At best you get fluffy comments about how both are great, and "pretty similar", etc. In other words, putting a lot of weight into developer comments is pretty silly. They're all towing the line they are legally bound by.

Only on a rare occasion do you get genuine honesty out of them, usually when someone fucks up.
Developers said Wii U cpu was shit. They also said PS3's CPU's was terrible to program for.

If developers hate the PS4/XBO's CPU's I would be hearing about it regardless of NDA.

NHale

I'm still waiting for Major Nelson's promised blog post about the technical spec comparison between the two consoles.

I wonder why he never posted it. He should have done a better job getting the Truth out there.

Developers said Wii U cpu was shit. They also said PS3's CPU's was terrible to program for.

If developers hate the PS4/XBO I would be hearing about it regardless of NDA.

Developers that were working on Wii U games said the CPU was shit? Link please.

Also, after a certain amount of time developers will start to become a little more open about these things, because some of it becomes public knowledge eventually. With the PS3 for example, after a few years Sony was publicly discussing the fact that the console was hard to program for early on, so of course devs were free to say the same later. But at launch? I don't recall devs publicly admitting it was a pain in the ass.

Contra11

Banned
Substance-Engine_Texture-Generation.jpg

So after all the jaguar CPU isn't that bad .. i think it fits perfectly for consoles needs

but .. what CPU cores I7 suppose to have ? i know it have multithreading = 7 cores ?

jsip

Banned
Better than an average laptop is still bad.
What? A thread discussing consoles? We need to hurry up and shit on it with irrelevant PC talk! How DARE anyone discuss consoles and leave out the superior PC!

Seriously. Give it a rest. As someone with a plenty capable PC, not every tech discussion needs to include it. Especially discussions about console-only specifics. I don't mean to back-seat mod but these injections are tiresome, at best.

JordanN

Banned
Developers that were working on Wii U games said the CPU was shit? Link please.

Also, after a certain amount of time developers will start to become a little more open about these things, because some of it becomes public knowledge eventually. With the PS3 for example, Sony themselves was publicly discussing the fact that the console was hard to program for early on, so of course devs were free to say the same later. But at launch? I don't recall devs publicly admitting it was a pain in the ass.
Steelalchemist beat me to it. Gustav (from Dice) later repeated it.

I didn't follow the PS3 launch so sadly I don't remember what happened during that time (I only know the comments that came later).

Have you seen the size of the cooler on the APU?

You don't have a 7850 built into your CPU either, mine runs at 50c with an aftermarket triple slot cooler and I have a tower cooler on my CPU.

It's an 8 core version of a 4 core low power cpu designed for tablets (passive cooling) and ultrabooks
the cores on this thing are tiny compared to a fully fledged desktop cpu core so they don't produce much heat

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's going to be really interesting to see if people are still debating the power of these consoles a year from now.
Some people will. There are several people still clinging onto the idea that eSRAM utilization will improve the situation, which is true, but the gap will always be significant.

What? A thread discussing consoles? We need to hurry up and shit on it with irrelevant PC talk! How DARE anyone discuss consoles and leave out the superior PC!

Seriously. Give it a rest. As someone with a plenty capable PC, not every tech discussion needs to include it. Especially discussions about console-only specifics. I don't mean to back-seat mod but these injections are tiresome, at best.
You. I like you. Console and PC tech discussions are totally different. You don't see me going into 3DS threads and saying my PS4 is better.

sekrit

Banned
Some people will. There are several people still clinging onto the idea that eSRAM utilization will improve the situation, which is true, but the gap will always be significant.

You. I like you. Console and PC tech discussions are totally different. You don't see me going into 3DS threads and saying my PS4 is better.

The i7 cpu is still in that stupid graph so i don't really see why it can't be discussed and compared too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The i7 cpu is still in that stupid graph so i don't really see why it can't be discussed and compared too.
Discussing the graph is different than several of the "netbook CPU LOL" drive by posts from the same people over and over.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, most probably. Just because they are talking about virtualization doesn't tell us what they mean exactly with it and how it's implemented.
I agree but it is impossible to implement any kind of visualization without any system resources.

KKRT00

Yeah i agree, because PS4 and PC do not run same games...oh wait, they are.

---------
Substance-Engine_Texture-Generation.jpg

So after all the jaguar CPU isn't that bad .. i think its fits perfectly for consoles needs

but .. what CPU cores I7 suppose to have ? i know it have multithreading = 7 cores ?

4 cores and 8 threads.
You meant hyperthreading.

How did you get all of this out of my post? He is saying the Console's CPU is great because it is better than the average laptop's CPU, which by the way, is not used for gaming.

virtualization of what?

I'm curious, did he ever post again after the console releases and the performance difference became a stone hard fact?

I don't think so... the games are out... the truth is out... why were we supposed to wait for the games/truth to come out?, maybe we'll never know... he's out of spins.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sorry. I forgot that it's ok to be "xbox LOL" but not "ps4 LOL".
Not what I was saying, at all. The CPUs are very similar and I was talking about both of them. I'm just trying to stop misinformation.

I'm just going to drop this. Didn't mean to start shit and I don't want to derail.

jaypah

misterxmedia is just a troll site. No person in their right mind would honestly think Microsoft hid silicon on their die by stacking it vertically so that at some time in the future it can be turned on and beat Sony. He's either 12 years old or a piss poor troll.

But even if he was just trolling what are the chances that all of the folks posting there are also trolling? So at least someone posting there believes it. Which is just fucking nuts.

coldfoot

Banned
How did you get all of this out of my post? He is saying the Console's CPU is great because it is better than the average laptop's CPU, which by the way, is not used for gaming.

The average Steam CPU is dual core with a frequency between 2.3-2.7 Ghz.
If you look at Steam's top video cards there are like 2 cards that can beat the PS4 in the top 20.

EGM1966

It's going to be really interesting to see if people are still debating the power of these consoles a year from now.

Never underestimate denial. I can't believe people are still arguing about power right now when the specs and capabilities of each are pretty much transparent now.

There's a lot of people who desperately want the XB1 to be more powerful or at least equal and they're not going to get rational about it anytime soon.

To be clear I'm talking about the desperate minority suffering from an extreme dose of brand loyalty and presumption from last gen, not those buying XB1 for genuine and understandable reasons such as preferring the exclusives, interest in the media and other features, more faith in Live infrastructure, friends already on the console, etc and so on.

The XB1 isn't shit just somewhat less powerful than PS4 for playing videogames and I can fully understand many people will buy it and game on it happily but equally a minority I think are going to struggle endlessly to come to terms with this simple fact.

jelly

Anyone else think this generation will be short lived because of the x86 choice so backwards compatibility will be far easier than usual?

Is it crazy to think Microsoft might put the Xbox One behind them sooner rather than later if sales aren't all that so instead of a slim console design, they just release a new console with full BC.

That makes two of us buddy...

There are more things to consoles than specs, so there are reasons people would choose the Xbox One over the PS4. I am one person who did so (and I'd like to think I'm "reasonably-minded"). That being said, the PS4 is a good machine and I hope to get one eventually.

EGM1966

Anyone else think this generation will be short lived because of the x86 choice so backwards compatibility will be far easier than usual?

Is it crazy to think Microsoft might put the Xbox One behind them sooner rather than later if sales aren't all that so instead of a slim console design, they just release a new console with full BC.

That'll depend on sales obviously but I was wondering the same thing. MS don't care about being disruptive and we know from original Xbox if things aren't working out they're willing to move on fast.

I think it might be hard to repeat this though if they try it too quickly - people who bought XB1 and don't care about specs will feel they've been left behind for no good reason (from their perspective) and if the majority is happy on PS4 they might struggle to gain enough momentum with a new device so early after two other devices launched.

TBH I think overall the XB1 is probably selling well enough that they will gain too big a user base to abandon vs the original Xbox so I'm thinking probably no but it does remain an interesting option if PS4 really does start running away with the market globally.

KKRT00

The average Steam CPU is dual core with a frequency between 2.3-2.7 Ghz. /// quad cores and dual cores have the same distribution
If you look at Steam's top video cards there are like 2 cards that can beat the PS4 in the top 20. /// i think You dont know how to count

Not even mention, that not only steam survey is not indicative of anything, because many people run it on their second setups like laptops, but PC are not static.
So, not only You are quoting not accurate data, but also do not know how to read that data.

jsip

Banned
I dont think I need to draw a road map of several posts in this thread leading up to your "is still bad", by comparison to today's PCs. That has nothing to do with the current discussion. If you fail to make the connection perhaps its best you dont post statements like the one you made.

To draw a clearer picture: Xbox and PS4 thread. Else = different thread.

/shrugs

nampad

Damn, after every console review specifically stated the Xbox One's faster CPU based on speculation about the PS4's CPU (1.6 GHz was never confirmed afaik) this is so funny. The faster CPU was really the last thing XB1 fanboys could hold on to.

Yes, you can get more out of the PS4's CPU than you can the Xbox's.

Thank you for the confirmation.

DerZuhälter;94277137 said:

Glorious gifs :)

coldfoot

Banned
Yeah i agree, because PS4 and PC do not run same games...oh wait, they are.

---------

4 cores and 8 threads.
You meant hyperthreading.

Not all i7's have 4 cores. I am typing on such an i7 at the moment.

Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB

Top Bottom