• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo C.

Girls und Panzer: Tankery should be olympic. But for god's sake, wear a helmet, Miho! Sticking out the head while being shot makes me feel uncomfortable.

Narag

Votoms 39

I swear everytime we see that kind of face model (different than usual) its mean we got great episode.. Are the episode director is good for these eps? (eps 30, 39, n I think some key eps in kummen arc have this face model) anyone could check?

The character animation star of Votoms TV: Moriyasu Taniguchi

W3liUIYl.jpg

Anime R founder Moriyasu Taniguchi acted as the sakkan on all of the Anime R episodes: 2, 9, 14, 22, 29, 33, 39, 46, and 52.

The remarkable thing is how much Taniguchi's drawings stand out. His episodes are one of the classic examples of how a good sakkan can elevate the quality of an episode. His drawings look very different from the original designs by series designer Norio Shioyama, but the funny thing is, they look better. Taniguchi actually upstaged the character designer. His drawings have a much more sharp and refined look in terms of the facial features, and he even invests his character animation with more subtelty and nuance than the other episodes. The characters look and behave in a more convincing way in Taniguchi's episodes than in any of the others. In many of the other episodes, the characters are quite badly drawn, and their acting and expressions don't match what is happening in the script. It's only under Taniguchi's hand that the characters come alive and become more expressive in a way appropriate to the given situation.

Episode 29 is one of the best episodes in the show, with some of the best Taniguchi drawings in the show. It's a superb episode all-over, probably my favorite in the show due to fantastically moody directing by Masashi Ikeda 池田成 that gives the episode real atmosphere and tension. I wish more of the episodes in the show had felt like this episode. I like that the episode features only the two protagonists. There are no other characters to ruin the atmosphere with hijinx or other distractions. On top of that, there are some Toru Yoshida mecha drawings at the end. Masashi Ikeda went on to become the director of the smash hit Samurai Troopers (again with character designer Norio Shioyama) as well as the latest entry in the Votoms saga from last year, Alone Again.

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/votoms

It's a good read when you're done.

I had a flick through the first volume of the Crime Edge BD's and they got rid of the crappy filters they'd turn on for the battles and the more gruesome bits (so now the blood's actually red instead of brown), the censorship, and they even added all this blood spraying everywhere now. Huge improvement.

Those uncensored screenshots look nice.

Might give the show a chance now.

Some day I need to rewatch things like Sailor Moon that I haven't seen since the butchered Cartoon Network versions.

My younger self loved watching that when it came on.

Don't remember anything about it though.

Naruto Shippuden Episode 321 – Reinforcements Arrive
BPc8d3fCcAA_Ia_.png

Only one complaint I have for the episode is they come off filler where the characters had already interacted with flashy biju mode naruto...and then in this episode they seemingly forgot they already fought side by side with him before over the filler :/ made the initial scene here seem awkward
and then the audacity to throw in that NaruHina moment, why :(

Madara looks like his attacks will be stunning next episode and the music, please deliver.

tumblr_mebe1hh0Ud1rimutpo1_500.gif

Been waiting 4 months for that moment to happen.

One more day of waiting (can't watch today) won't be to hard.

Futari wa mily holmes - 01

I like that

The previous milky holmes animes didn't work with me. But this approch, more closer to the original concept of the games is MUCH MUCH more intresting.

I'd watch that.

Futari%20wa%20Milky%20Holmes%20-%2001.jpg

Those 2 are an ITEM .. the subtext is already there.

The 2 new leads are intresting .. they didn't waste time showing how close they are and they seems capable. Another good point is that they are close so i can ship them together starting for now on.

Finally the milky holmes i was looking forward to see :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In the 1980s, New World Pictures produced an English-dubbed version of the film, titled Warriors of the Wind, and it was released theatrically in North America, shown on HBO and released on VHS. The voice actors and actresses were not informed of the film's plotline and the film was heavily edited to make it a children-oriented film.[5] Consequently, part of the film's narrative meaning was lost; some of the environmentalist themes were diluted as was the main subplot of the Ohmu, altered to turn them into aggressive enemies. Most of the characters were renamed (for example, Nausicaä became "Princess Zandra"). The cover for the VHS release featured a cadre of male characters who are not in the film, riding the resurrected God Warrior—including a still-living Warrior shown briefly in a flashback. It was released around the world under various titles, such as Sternenkrieger (literally "Star Warriors") in Germany. An uncredited Susan Davis provided the voice of the title role, and Asbel, dubbed "Prince Milo" in this version, was voiced by Cam Clarke.

Dissatisfied with Warriors of the Wind, Miyazaki suggested that people should put it "out of their minds."[5] Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki have asked fans to forget its existence and later adopted a strict "no-edits" clause for future foreign releases of its films. On hearing Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein would try to cut Princess Mononoke to make it more marketable, one of Studio Ghibli's producers sent an authentic katana with a simple message: "No cuts".[6]

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And lead to, the now erotic, Mr Miyazaki's producer sending Miramax a samurai sword with the message "go commit sudoku" "no cuts"

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Adaptation?

I thought Miyazaki making the manga later after the movie.
Started off as a manga because original works were rarely funded. Once it was a proven success the movie went ahead. Miyazaki didn't like how it concluded so continued the manga until he was satisfied.

fertygo

Started off as a manga because original works were rarely funded. Once it was a proven success the movie went ahead. Miyazaki didn't like how it concluded so continued the manga until he was satisfied.

Ok, cool.. I like the movie enough as stand alone adventure movie.. the comic evolve beyond that (which is great)

Jarmel

Banned
This reminds me, I need to go through the rest of Ghibli's catalog at some point. Of the remaining three that I'm interested in, which is considered the best(blah blah blah opinions and all that garbage):

Porco Rosso, Kiki, and Whisper of the Heart

cajunator

Banned
Yes and no.

There is a fully uncut version of Nausicaa available in America (and other English territories) now, but back in the 80s the film was dubbed and cut as Warriors of the Wind with plot changes etc.

Yeup.
I have two versions of the uncut happy one.
I hug them occasionally.

Hattori

Banned
This reminds me, I need to go through the rest of Ghibli's catalog at some point. Of the remaining three that I'm interested in, which is considered the best(blah blah blah opinions and all that garbage):

Whisper of the Heart
Porco Rosso
Kiki

wonzo

Banned
This reminds me. I need to go through the rest of Ghibli's catalog at some point. Of the remaining three that I'm interested in, which is considered the best(blah blah blah opinions and all that garbage:

Whisper of the Heart but the other two are my all-time favourite Miyazaki Ghibli movies (well, those and cagliostro!)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
They wanted to make the movie first, to be clear, and the success of the manga enabled them to say it was an established property which allowed the movie to be greenlit.

/XX/

You know, is it true poor Carl Macek (R.I.P.) was involved somehow on this botched work as well? I don't know if the bad fame he previously acquired makes people believe this, but some are still pretty sure he had a say on the whole thing...

... searching through lots of contradictory stuff around the Internet about who was ultimately responsible for that one!

Shergal

Whisper of the Heart, of course. After watching it you'll come to the crushing realization that Kondo's not here any-more ;_;

Tenumi

Banned
Watching Sailor Moon in its original form is like a treat, especially when it comes to finding things that would surprise you since it's a Magical girl anime (on top of their other properties of its elk).

I feel weird in that I'm having trouble starting Sailor Moon because I actually like to watch the DiC version. Especially the transformation music

You clearly havent seen some seiyuus draw XD

Clearly they sacrificed their drawing talent for acting talent. Sometimes.

BluWacky

You know, is it true poor Carl Macek (R.I.P.) was involved somehow on this botched work as well? I don't know if the bad fame he previously acquired makes people believe this, but some are still pretty sure he had a say on the whole thing...

I think it's untrue. People tend to cite the Miyazaki dubs he handled (the original Totoro and Cagliostro, for instance) as good work; there seems to be some confusion about whether he did Warriors of the Wind which suggests he probably didn't.

Whisper of the Heart but the other two are also fantastic.

/XX/

I think it's untrue. People tend to cite the Miyazaki dubs he handled (the original Totoro and Cagliostro, for instance) as good work; there seems to be some confusion about whether he did Warriors of the Wind which suggests he probably didn't.
Yeah, seems that way. Strangely, many accuse him after all these years!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I had a flick through the first volume of the Crime Edge BD's and they got rid of the crappy filters they'd turn on for the battles and the more gruesome bits (so now the blood's actually red instead of brown), the censorship, and they even added all this blood spraying everywhere now. Huge improvement.

Are you watching it with the original dub? Either way, stick with it.

Sweet!

Can't wait for them to uncensor certain other bits.
if you know what i mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom