• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Made my first stage. My plan is to eventually create a full "game". I want to use at least one of each type of background interspersed between castles and regular ground stages and what not.

Pesca 1-1

(1597-0000-0014-8573)

Please Play, Rate, and Share so I get some motivation to reach my goal.

If I'm buying this in-store today, are there any deals or special promotions I should be aware of?

Not looking for the Amiibo, just if there's a sale or gift card somewhere like Target or Best Buy.

Thanks!

Ultima_5

If I'm buying this in-store today, are there any deals or special promotions I should be aware of?

Not looking for the Amiibo, just if there's a sale or gift card somewhere like Target or Best Buy.

Thanks!

Best buy has GCU discount. I don't think I've heard any thing else about sales/additional stuffs. I'd be curious as well since I'm heading out in an hour to get it

Kjellson

for the love of god use anything but the NSMBU style
aaaah.gif
Use anything but the SMB style! I know it's a classic and all but it's so boring compared to the other ones.

Kinsei

Banned
I made my first level. It's not amazing, but I think it's pretty decent for a first try at creating a video game level. Keep in mind that I've hidden 2 1-up mushrooms in the level ala star coins/green stars.

Jr's Water Park: EABD-0000-0014-D904

woopWOOP

Welp, during the making of a big castle stage my gamepad suddenly showed error code 165-6596. Everytime I rebooted the pad it errors again within seconds.

Hoping it's a matter of cooling the thing or whatever so I'll leave it off for now. Really bad timing if I have to send it over for repairs :[

Haines

Banned
Where do i find info on how to unlock the additional content. Been making a level for like an hour. Told me stuff will come tommorow. Never got aany new stuff yet.

Chebico

Neo Member
Where do i find info on how to unlock the additional content. Been making a level for like an hour. Told me stuff will come tommorow. Never got aany new stuff yet.

I unlocked everything in a few hours.
Just select the blocks/ground etc randomly and spam the level with them until you cant put more in then clear level wuth rocket and repeat.
When you get new items put a few of each and then do blick trick again.

Can you make vertical levels? I've seen videos in which the "sky ceiling" for Mario seemed pretty low, but I'm not sure if that's because those particular levels had it set to be low, or if that's just how it always is.

I'd be interested in levels which have you jumping up to the top or controlled falls to the bottom.

So I have played around in the editor for about 2 hours now but I got 1 upgrade yet for the stuff I can use.

Am I doing something wrong?

Just select the blocks/ground etc randomly and spam the level with them until you cant put more in then clear level wuth rocket and repeat.
Thanks will do this then! :)

maxcriden

Any clarification on the worthwhileness of the 30th Anniversary Mario amiibo? My understanding is it creates a Mega Mario with some cool background effects. Is it a limited effect or will it last throughout the level? In addition, is there any way to unlock this feature without the amiibo?

Most importantly, is there any potential for clever levels to be created using this functionality? It seems like it would be too hard to maneuver Mega Mario in a thoughtful enough way that would make for good level design.

daydream

Banned
I made my first level. It's not amazing, but I think it's pretty decent for a first try at creating a video game level. Keep in mind that I've hidden 2 1-up mushrooms in the level ala star coins/green stars.

Jr's Water Park: EABD-0000-0014-D904

i'll just say this: second level i've downloaded so far. super fun stage!

So I have played around in the editor for about 2 hours now but I got 1 upgrade yet for the stuff I can use.

Am I doing something wrong?

just fill the screen with land mass if you wanna accelerate the process

maxcriden

Haines

Banned

Thank you. First truck arrived as i just finished my level. Maybe i hadnt layed enough tiles. Spamming will be in my future.

Danielsan

Caved today and ordered the game. Should arrive here tomorrow morning. I've been watching some older footage of levels and I'm now in full hype mode. Can't wait to play and create some levels.

daydream

Banned
Just made my first level.

Goomba Sewers 01 (Super Mario Bros 3 style)

Course ID: E1BF-0000-0014-EFFB

interesting stage. the bottom path is a lot easier than the upper one, though. i think if you took a little bit of challenge out of the upper part and put one or two additional obstacles in the bottom path, both halves would benefit and it would be a more balanced design

that's wonderful. I would recommend making a separate thread for this so others can be aware of it and it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Very cool, isn't it?

I don't want to start a new thread because I don't even own the game, so I don't want to manage a thread, but if anyone thinks it's worth it, feel free to do it. Or maybe this could be added to the OT?

By the way, nice OT, daydream!

it is so dumb that we have to do this.

Was the 9 day thing removed, then?

Exile20

Very cool, isn't it?

I don't want to start a new thread because I don't even own the game, so I don't want to manage a thread, but if anyone thinks it's worth it, feel free to do it. Or maybe this could be added to the OT?

By the way, nice OT, daydream!

Just add "Neogaf" Tag to uploaded levels.

it is so dumb that we have to do this.

Was the 9 day thing removed, then?
You CAN still do the 9 day thing if you want but now you don't HAVE to and that is what everyone asked for to begin with.

On the Day 1 patch it been implemented in a "normal" way, core folks can play die hard and unlock right away in about 2 hours and none core and do the 9 day if they want.

Seiniyta

interesting stage. the bottom path is a lot easier than the upper one, though. i think if you took a little bit of challenge out of the upper part and put one or two additional obstacles in the bottom path, both halves would benefit and it would be a more balanced design

Interesting as it was my brother who was struggling the most with the bottom part haha. It depends how long you stay and let the goomba's pile up. Thanks for the feedback though!

Javier

My copy is ready for store pickup along with my Olimar amiibo. Work can't end soon enough.

Haven't been this excited for a game release since Splatoon.

octopiggy

Oh man. I still have another 3 or so hours until I can play. I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time. I'm debating pulling an all-nighter but I have work tomorrow too.

You CAN still do the 9 day thing if you want but now you don't HAVE to and that is what everyone asked for to begin with.

On the Day 1 patch it been implemented in a "normal" way, core folks can play die hard and unlock right away in about 2 hours and none core and do the 9 day if they want.

Okay cool, thanks. Glad they patched it!

jepense

A couple of short levels with the basic set. I think they are ok!
B63F-0000-0014-71AA (hopping on flying troopas, tricky end)
B754-0000-0014-AEF2 (a small puzzle)
2FF4-0000-0012-3411 (two routes, not too hard)
F96C-0000-0012-48FF (pipes with piranha plants, easy)

I can't wait to get the better stuff, but at the same time I won't cheat. I will challenge myself to make good levels with the tools that unlock, as they unlock.

It's also really great to get notified that people have played your stuff and see how they did and where they died etc.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Spamming the items is FUN AS SHIT because of the music that plays as you lay stuff down---seriously, really neat idea.

After getting about 5 packs doing that, I finally got a great idea for a stage---there was one Amiibo character who would go PERFECT for it, but I had to settle for a substitute since I don't have that Amiibo and it could take forever to unlock it. Here's a hint...I'm not really considered a blast at parties, but I think my idea for this level is pretty wise.

Seriously, if you don't own any Amiibo, you need to play 792 possibly shitty, possibly impossibly hard fan levels to get them. I knew, knew, knew it was gonna be tedious---how did people unlock them so fast?

Raitaro

I could use some input on my Super Mario Maker purchase, especially from fellow UK Gaffers.

As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to get the game + the yellow anniversary shirt that Nintendo UK was offering. At the time, the game + amiibo + shirt bundle was sold out, so this meant I had to ignore the amiibo and go for the shirt + game alone.

I received both in the mail today, but unfortunately the shirt is a bit too small for me. I asked a Nintendo worker over chat whether I could exchange it, but he told me the only way to do that is to return my order within 14 days, ask for a refund and order the game again + shirt size L.

What makes me unsure of what to do as well as a bit frustrated with Nintendo's store policies, apart from the hassle to get a different size shirt, is that they currently are offering another anniversary Mario shirt, a black one, for free when you purchase select Mario games, including the bundle I have. I asked the Nintendo rep if he could send me this shirt separately since I had bought a qualifying game just before this offer went live, but he mentioned he couldn't (meaning I can only get one if I go the return + order new game route).

What makes me even more unsure is that I originally had wanted the game + amiibo + shirt combo, which, as said, was sold out when I ordered, but that they now have that bundle back in stock. However, this bundle is not among the games that qualify for the free black shirt for some unexplained reason, meaning I have to choose (again) between a shirt and an amiibo.

To make matters even more complicated: there is a way to get that bundled amiibo without the game now, and that is to pre-order a special Super Mario box that includes this brown/red amiibo, a plushy, a third shirt (white!) and a Mario hat.

Lots of options in other words. Should I just keep my order and not care about the shirt size, or return my order and buy a new bundle with larger yellow shirt and free additional black shirt? Or should I return it and go for the amiibo bundle afterall at the cost of not getting the black shirt? Or buy the special box + new game + 2 shirts and get everything? I think I care about the game most of all, but still: choices, choices!

Edit: forgot to mention one thing: while the print quality of the yellow shirt is great, the fabric itself is a quite thin (to the point that your skin shines through, disappointingly enough). Maybe this is reason enough to just keep the game and not care about returning it for the shirt? I can always wear this one in bed. Sigh...first world dliemma's, right?

Mik2121

I made my second level, again, trying to make it as 'official' looking as possible. This is about Easy to Medium difficulty I would say, with a bunch of shortcuts and tricks to give it some replayability.

Vanilla Caves - 8376 - 0000 - 0015 - 1BA5

Feedback appreciated!

Seriously, if you don't own any Amiibo, you need to play 792 possibly shitty, possibly impossibly hard fan levels to get them. I knew, knew, knew it was gonna be tedious---how did people unlock them so fast?
Easy mode is how I am getting the ones I do not own. Got Digby, Blathers, and Dr. Lobe.

NeonZ

I'm surprised that my first level only has a 5% completion rate (made with the first two item packs). I thought it was fairly simple. There really aren't any "gotcha" moments.

Kensuke

I'm surprised that my first level only has a 5% completion rate (made with the first two item packs). I thought it was fairly simple. There really aren't any "gotcha" moments.

I think it has more to do with people quitting really easily. There is plenty of content available, so they won't stick with a level that isn't immediately likable. Hard levels also seem pretty unpopular.

I'm still working on unlocking all the different enemies/items/features for Mario Maker, but I've made three so far:

6001-0000-000F-B9B6
DBC7-0000-0014-D235
D2F5-0000-0015-1C1B

Again, I'm loving the level building side of things. I can see me playing quite a few different designs once I have certain things I still don't have (beanstalks, warp pipes etc.) Any feedback welcome :)

Top Bottom