• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Here's the first level I put a serious effort into. I unlocked the Shy Guy costume and had an idea.

C5AA-0000-001B-78DE

I uploaded it last night, and I'm surprised it only has about a 9% completion rate. I don't think it's that hard, but perhaps that's partly because I know what's coming.

Also, is there any way to see where people die on the sub-screen? It's pretty cool being able to see that on the map of the main screen and could be helpful in finding out what ideas might need some tweaking if I ever want to reuse them.

I just gave it a go and beat it on my fourth try. I agree that it becomes easier when you know what's ahead and therefore are given time to assess how to overcome the obstacles. The problem is, most people seem to just give a level 1 or 2 goes before moving onto the next which is where the low completion rate comes from.

For the level itself, I liked the second room as I was forced to actually do something while on the platform, which is a problem I've run into when designing my own levels. However you can break the boos if you quickly look left and right over and over and I am guilty of taking advantage of this :p You were also very generous with additional one ups, which is a good thing for the impatient players. I'm not sure if you can see where player die on your level (although I agree that it would be a MUCH welcomed feature) but if it helps, I died a couple times in the third room with the circling boos and there were a whole lot of deaths in that small room.

Forkball

Finished my third level. Making these things can take a long time, but it flies by. Here's what I have so far.

World War Koopa
0RIjp69.jpg

0007-0000-001D-99A1

Fight an army of rocket launcher wielding koopas across several airships.

Zoo of Doom
wpJJ0m7.jpg

DC42-0000-0020-81AD

Enjoy a stroll while viewing Mario's toughest adversaries. Do NOT hit the P-Switch.

STOP! Waluigi Time!
LBB24LI.jpg

25F4-0000-0021-C007

Waluigi finally gets his own game. This stage took forever because I put his logo backwards and had to redo everything.

I've also tried some GAFfer levels, they are pretty creative but DAMN GUYS YOU DON'T HAVE TO MAKE THEM SO HARD.

Edag88

Banned
Alright, last one for now. Just a simple one: World 1-1

2B4F-0000-0022-3BFA

Don't forget to check out the other two:

Don't Panic!!
90AA-0000-0021-51E6

Your New Favorite Water Level
A994-0000-0022-4EBE

and

Castle 1.4.1
74D7-0000-0020-D247

BowieZ

Banned
Can you believe my internet has been down for the last few days. Can't upload any of my levels :(

Wii U can't pick up my phone's 4G hotspot of course :(

Big One

Banned
Question: How do you change the entire environment like some of these trippy warped levels? Is it through the SFX? If so, how?

TheJoRu

I downloaded the patch but the game still doesn't let me use all the available tools yet.

The patch didn't remove the 9-day unlocking; it just added more and (if you play a decent amount) quicker ways to get the items by being in the creator mode and using all the assets, in addition to getting more every day.

Conezays

A short little castle level:

5C22-0000-0021-F4OE

I thought my previous courses were difficult, but manageable. The completion rate seems to disagree :p With that in mind, this is a little easier.

My newest creation this morning:

WVW69iYLgSwv33Wgik

That one floating haunted house.
2C2C-0000-0021-7942

Check it out :)

Also here are my previous levels that I like to share:

Bob-ombs away!
5949-0000-001C-AE68

The Thirst of Kings
1926-0000-0016-2957

Brawl96

Does anyone know what those numbers in the idea book are? Can I input them somewhere in the game?

Also. How do I unlock smb3 and smw skins?

Macheezmo

I tweaked my level to be a little more speedrun friendly. It's a pretty easy level with a couple somewhat challenging parts, and I tried to keep the design sort of official looking. There's also a secret room with a GAF logo in it.

WVW69iYLXh8RnwXDpS

Cheese World 1

(86D1-0000-0021-6273)

KDR_11k

I didn't know that para-spinys shoot spikes before playing this game. Was that in any previous game?

Also WTF at Yoshi keeping powerups instead of giving them to Mario when eating them. That's a really bad idea since you'd usually hit Y to start running again after hitting the ? and waiting for the powerup to line up with you.

Anyone else feel like MM focusses on SMB 3 and neglects SMW as a result? Like standard hammer bros, no berries, no chucks, no Yoshi shell powers, no Monty wall spawns, ... I haven't even seen a rex yet. The YI 2 remix level among the examples just felt lifeless compared to the original. I haven't unlocked the set yet tho.

And there's the weirdness of Bowser jr. being apparently a full on boss with three hit defeats and stuff like a Koopaling but no way to force the player to beat him.

BowieZ

Banned
I've found it extremely rewarding to try and create good solid traditional Mario levels, that perhaps involve a mechanic or combination of elements that wasn't explored in previous Mario titles. And instead of going crazy overdoing the mechanic, simply follow the tried-and-tested Mario level formula as has been discussed earlier in these SMM threads:

1. Introduce the mechanic. If this mechanic requires foundational Mario expertise that may not be held by less seasoned players, make sure you introduce it in a completely safe manner, and whereby learning this mechanic is the only way to progress.

2. Very slowly play on the mechanic. What's surprising to me is how much space is required to do this. Rather than blowing your load in 2 or 3 screens' worth, you really need to use a good half of a full length level (depending on what you're doing of course) to let the design flow naturally.

3. Use coins to guide the player where suitable and try to create space for exhilarating speed running. Create an optimum speed run path (with triple jumps using the Mario trail if you have it unlocked is ideal) so that you can impress friends. When your level has constant breaks to a speed run flow, I would generally consider it not optimal. Sometimes this can help inform later level choices if you are stuck for ideas.

4. Have a more challenging evolution of the mechanic toward the end of the level but again always assume your player is relatively new to the game.

Meanwhile, try to remain consistent in your design choices throughout, using the same set of enemies and structures. There is a sweet spot when a level is not boring looking but not garishly unkempt.

Wingus

It does warm my heart when strangers take the time to post feedback on my levels (two of them so far got comments). :)

My levels are all pretty short as I want to focus on improving my level layout, structure and obstacles first. Plus I haven't unlocked sublevels yet... If anyone wants to try a couple of them, here they are. Any feedback/critique appreciated.

(Across the River)
Game: NSMB
Description: Carefully crossing the river of lava using note blocks and skull platforms. Short, but not too challenging.

ID = 98C6-0000-001C-21B9

Underwater Shenanigans
Description: Short water level with bullet bills and cheep cheeps.

1D1B-0000-0019-D8BC

I'm going to try some of GAF's levels later tonight and hopefully provide my thoughts on any that I play.

Alright, last one for now. Just a simple one: World 1-1

AAF6-0000-0021-83C7

You should change the maze section because getting stuck and not being able to progress without restarting is frustrating and will cause people to skip your stage for the next. The maze is also a bit bland without hazards of any sort. Adding a couple enemies or obstacles should improve it a lot. Everything up to the maze was good though. That pipe Kamek caught me off guard lol.

This game is filled with sadistic fucks :(!

Some of those levels, my god!!!

I went and made a level and called it short, fun, and easy in retaliation lol

I dont mind the crazy levels, but the crazy ones far outweigh the nice creative ones.

Its like everyone bought the game and is thinking of the best way to kill and/or frustrate people lol

And those are the levels I detest the most. I think in a month or two things will start balancing out and we will see some really awesome stuff.

I did my own riff on the Metal Man stage from Mega Man 2.

WVW69iYLSlEaWBv1Te

Metal Man - Mario Style (BCDF-0000-0021-5564)
I am going to have to try that later. The screenshot alone looks awesome.

If only there were a way to make a Quick Man stage and simulate the lasers...

imae

My second course, Flounder Heights Kingdom :)
E80C-0000-001F-6B65

I've been trying alot of the gaf courses here, good fun!.

Yeah from what I've seen from streamers most the levels online are insane, I hope people get tired of the tedious/troll/ultrahard crap and we start getting more levels like that metroid and donkey Kong one.

Damn I really want to play this today. Only way I'll be able to play it this weekend is if I trade/sell my 3DSXL since I just had to pay for expensive car repairs.

I hate the 100-mario challenge expert levels. They are extremely unsatisfying and not very fun. I wouldn't mind the challenge through out the level to be ramped up, but please for the love of god, let me progress a little bit so I can feel like I'm doing something. These stages where you die right at the start are horrible.

Rutger

Banned
I just gave it a go and beat it on my fourth try. I agree that it becomes easier when you know what's ahead and therefore are given time to assess how to overcome the obstacles. The problem is, most people seem to just give a level 1 or 2 goes before moving onto the next which is where the low completion rate comes from.

For the level itself, I liked the second room as I was forced to actually do something while on the platform, which is a problem I've run into when designing my own levels. However you can break the boos if you quickly look left and right over and over and I am guilty of taking advantage of this :p You were also very generous with additional one ups, which is a good thing for the impatient players. I'm not sure if you can see where player die on your level (although I agree that it would be a MUCH welcomed feature) but if it helps, I died a couple times in the third room with the circling boos and there were a whole lot of deaths in that small room.

The third room is on the main screen, so I can see where people died when looking at my level. It seems to be the only time people are dieing on the main screen. That room is my least favorite part of my level honestly.

Because the more interesting challenges are in the multiple paths in the sub-screen, it'd be nice to be able to see a map with the deaths there. I'll have to keep this in mind and try and keep anything where I want to see the deaths on the main screen from now on.

Dreavus

Amazon said my package was supposed to be here yesterday by 8pm. That didn't happen so I guess it's Monday. :mad:

This game is filled with sadistic fucks :(!

Some of those levels, my god!!!

I went and made a level and called it short, fun, and easy in retaliation lol

I dont mind the crazy levels, but the crazy ones far outweigh the nice creative ones.

Its like everyone bought the game and is thinking of the best way to kill and/or frustrate people lol

Yeah, I checked out the GB quick look and they look at some "expert levels". Since difficulty is tied to how many people finish it versus tried it, it's basically just bullshit after bullshit. It doesn't really seem very fun to play levels like that.

Balb

Have a couple of questions. Sorry if these have been asked before.

1. After you upload a level, can you make tweaks to it while saving the user play/completion count?

2. How do you insert coin blocks into bricks? I haven't unlocked everything yet, so I was wondering if that option is there right away or if I unlock it later. I couldn't figure it out on my own.

Amazon said my package was supposed to be here yesterday by 8pm. That didn't happen so I guess it's Monday. :mad:

Yeah, I checked out the GB quick look and they look at some "expert levels". Since difficulty is tied to how many people finish it versus tried it, it's basically just bullshit after bullshit. It doesn't really seem very fun to play levels like that.

Yeah. I love hard games and a challenge but some Expert levels I've played are... very spammy.

Yeah from what I've seen from streamers most the levels online are insane, I hope people get tired of the tedious/troll/ultrahard crap and we start getting more levels like that metroid and donkey Kong one.

Telling ya, look up the shmup level or whatever it was called. It was in the top 50 levels I think. It is an entire level where you fly in the clown car as flying Spiney's are around shooting spikes at you, and then more flying enemies join the fray. There are fire flowers pretty often so you can shoot back too.
Then they end the level with a flying Bowser Jr. air battle complete with boss music. It was a ton of fun.

Edag88

Banned
You should change the maze section because getting stuck and not being able to progress without restarting is frustrating and will cause people to skip your stage for the next. The maze is also a bit bland without hazards of any sort. Adding a couple enemies or obstacles should improve it a lot. Everything up to the maze was good though. That pipe Kamek caught me off guard lol.

I added some more annoying shit in there. Tell me what you think.

Robiin

My first level, Fun with koopa shells. If anyone would like to try it, it's just a basic easy level where you have some fun jumping on koopas!

WVW69iYMkFAlmw1tI9

711E-0000-0022-35B4

Hero

Tried my hand at a second level after unlocking some more tools.

If people could give it a try and let me know it'd be appreciated!

5DEE 0000 0022 4017

I have 2 questions...

1. Is the evil sun from SMB 3 in the assets?

2. Can you make levels that go in reverse direction? For example, a level where the flag pole is on the left of the level instead of the right ?

Vitet

My last one is a climbing tower stage. It's a bit tricky and you have to use pipes, but I think it turned out pretty well. I added some "hurry" mechanics so you have to climb fast, and tried to do different things in each segment.

Nt6S4nF.jpg

I'm curious if swiping to skip a level in the 100 Mario Challenge has any effect on it showing up again for other players. There are some pretty bad levels that show up there. There should be some sort of rating system other than stars that allows you to rate how fun a level is. You don't even have to make it visible to creators if you don't want people to have their feelings hurt.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member

If you want a challenge, but not a frustrating one, try Jucksalbe's Sightseeing at Bowser's Castle level.

5985-0000-0018-8690

It does warm my heart when strangers take the time to post feedback on my levels (two of them so far got comments). :)

My levels are all pretty short as I want to focus on improving my level layout, structure and obstacles first. Plus I haven't unlocked sublevels yet... If anyone wants to try a couple of them, here they are. Any feedback/critique appreciated.

(Across the River)
Description: Carefully crossing the river of lava using note blocks and skull platforms. Short, but not too challenging.

ID = 98C6-0000-001C-21B9

Underwater Shenanigans
Description: Short water level with bullet bills and cheep cheeps.

1D1B-0000-0019-D8BC

I'm going to try some of GAF's levels later tonight and hopefully provide my thoughts on any that I play.

Across the River - Gah, music blocks! From the title I was expecting something peaceful... A couple oddities aside (the random thwomp at the start of the level and the buzzy beetle who jumps into the lava before you can close to him) I really liked this stage. It promotes a style of play where you die a bunch, but learn what's ahead and how best to tackle it next time. The skull platforms were well placed and I assume took a lot of playtesting to get right. That goes for the fireballs and hammer bro. which could have been placed in more intrusive places but felt fair. The only problem I had was the thwomp army at the end which honestly felt cheap and unnecessary since Bowser's enough of a threat himself. Aside from that though, I really liked this one.

Underwater Shenanigans - This one was much easier I felt and I liked that there was always something going on which I had to be aware of. The Koopas halfway into the stage felt like they were placed a little off (the corridor felt a bit too narrow) but eh, it might just be me. Nothing much else to say about this one, very solid and nothing too difficult (although I've always found the water levels to be the easiest Mario levels so maybe it's just that.)

mintyice

Anyone want to play my kind of tricky autoscrolling level? It's beatable, just have to be patient. It's not too long either!

Tricky Pickle
3083-0000-0022-5577

A few people tried my level last night it looks like but I didn't see any comments. Looks like it may be too difficult based on the clear percentage. I intended for it to be difficult, but veterans should be able to make it easier on themselves.

I'm working on some others that I hope to post tonight, but was hoping to have feedback first.

Lakitu and Bullet Bill
Course ID: F733-0000-001C-003E

sphinx

the piano man
Question:

is there some sort of leaderboard with world rankings for things like:

.- most popular level
.- player with the most levels completed
.- player with the most levels created

Top Bottom