• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

thanks, i'm glad you liked it! i think you're the only one to beat the level (it has a 2% completion rate). thought i'd try to be a little judicious with the power ups so there's always something through the map to help you out, and the springs are there to take care of lakitu early.

also super glad you found the secret exit. that was really the main thrust behind the level - a difficult 'main' level but there was another way out if you looked around enough. smb3 was chosen in particular because mario kicks instead of setting things down like in smw, so it was another level of skill the player had to be used to.

i don't know if there's a way to adjust how the ghosts track you. i think they just don't care if they're really far away.

Just beat it. Not too bad, too much unknown jumping though...

B_Bech

Okay guys I made three new stages that I'm SUPER proud of! Gettin' the hang of this stage making thing. I really want you guys to try them and maybe hand me a few stars if you enjoy them. I focused on making them fun this time around... like really focused on it. I know it sounds obvious, but the other stages I made focused on being cool/challenging. As always, I'll play and star all of your guys levels if you drop me a PM with the code. I'll even comment and give feedback!

WVW69iYkS2osYyw3rS

Pacman Fever

(8038-0000-0030-897D)

This is a minigame so don't think you can beat it the way you could a traditional Mario level. This is an homage to the father of gaming as we know it. Here's looking at you, Puckman.

WVW69iYjPr0drhwGaX

Yoshi's Rad Racing Coaster

(EAEC-0000-002F-DCD5)

Alright now this one can be a bit tough, but it's not at all unfair. Yoshi's built a twin racing coaster in his basement. Think you can ride it all the way to end? Note: try not to be mad at Yoshi as he laughs at you from the safety of his operator's box. How many times have you used him to save yourself?

WVW69iYWCw4wxihE-0

Steampunk Castle Crusade

(E222-0000-0028-D662)

This one I designed to be a unique castle stage at the end of a near final world. It's steampunk styled, so its exterior is airship-like. When making this stage, I kept all that I knew about Nintendo's design philosophies in mind. I played it over and over, tweaking elements that didn't feel Nintendo enough. I'm happy with the end result, and I feel like it could easily blend in with the rest of the levels in New Super Mario Bros. U.

------------------------------

Now, these next two stages I've posted before, but I never explained them the way I did with the new three. I will do just that and hopefully give more people the opportunity to play them.

WVW69iYQdc0NNdSHeE

Bowser's Heavy Metal Battalion

(721B-0000-0025-1463)

I absolutely love this stage. I wanted to make an autoscrolling level with unique boss encounters peppered in, but I also wanted to make sure the difficulty was just right... as I found the boss fight in my previous stage had caused most players to rage quit. What resulted was Bowser's Heavy Metal Battalion. It's a procession of tanks, each harder to beat than the one before it. It's got a good sense of speed, so I used Captain Falcon to convey that... and for the cool factor. The scrolling, the conveyor belts and the sawblade wheels give the illusion of moving vehicles. Kinda neat, huh?

WVW69iYM2cclpuEz05

Assault on Goomba Factory

(CF0E-0000-0022-6B6D)

This level was meant to be a self contained adventure story, told through sound effects. You start out outside of the factory, go inside the machine itself... see its horrors (transforming mushrooms into Goombas)... break the machine and gum up the works... then face off with the factory's malicious mastermind, Bowser, in an epic confrontation. After beating Bowser, you flee the exploding factory... just because I enjoy the cliche. It needs a little fine tuning, but it's still an awesome stage that I hope you see to the end.

So yeah, those are five stages I think you guys will have a ton of fun playing. Like I said before, if you like em' feel free to toss me a star and even follow me. PM me a list of your stages and I will play and star every single one of them.

Thanks for playing. (If you do!)

My third level, but I think Im starting to gwt the hang of it. Ventura Express has some tricky jumps and a few different ways to play it. I tried to stay consistent with the level design here and level up the challenge.

WVW69iYkNFoeP1r2XB

9DD0-0000-002B-00D8

Would love to get some opinions on it!

I like how you made the Bullet Bull jumps you have to make achievable even for somebody like me that has never played Kaizo Mario.

My first two attempts. Not completely pleased with them but hey, I'm learning 😊

Resident Weevil
21B1-0000-002E-D34B

Fiends Cavern
6F84-0000-0030-AAF9

Cool! Thanks for the kind words. The thing with that one is that adding any enemies that didn't insta-kill you would break the level.

Let me know if you want me to out any of your levels.

Sure, if you up for it here are the first two I created and refined a bit. Just worked on getting a feel for how to establish a good flow.

Pequod 2: 56E7-0000-0027-0CD2

climbing the walls 2: 9EAA-0000-0026-B39A

I'm gonna try a bunch of GAF levels at random in a bit. They're easily the best I've come across so far.

daydream

Banned
I'm going to play some Yoshi WW to take notes about course design and tonight I'll play some GAF courses. Seeing that this thread grows very fast, are you (daydream) going to update the first post with the courses from everyone? Or only the ones that get a lot of mentions?

no, just the stand-out ones

if you want to see all the levels from a creator, just punch in one of his level ids and you'll have his full oeuvre on his profile, immediately accessible. follow him (heart icon on the top right), as well, if you want to keep up with him.

SuomiDude

My newest level, The Great White Shark Adventure: 4B81-0000-0030-D7B7. It's an easy level this time, just wanted to try something different for a change and combined my love for sharks in this stage as well :)

Kouriozan

Fly Swatter game was incredibly hard for me, eventually completed it after 6/7 tries.
Also, this coming weeks I'll move to a new house so I won't have as much time as before to create but don't worry, I'll still play GAFer-made courses <3

JoeM86

Was inspired a little by the idea of putting Wigglers on wires by Earthpainting so made a Bowser Castle stage around the concept

WVW69iYkuBgbELA3EZ

Worms, wires and trapped Bowser: 65DA-000-0030-CE45

Not entirely happy with it though. The placements on the wires are strangely different each time.

UJ1crL3.jpg

Alrighty, Mummy on the Koopa Express is revised. Absolutely the last time I'm changing its code though :) I've taken the feedback on board and I really appreciate you guys' help with this. I hope you all enjoy it.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I finally unlocked the Castle assets. I have to say this was by far my favorite level to make! Who has the huevos to take it on?

Hubble World 4
WVW69iYktCgALjSC_V

9797-0000-0030-CBF1

Advice: If you go the middle route, have patience in the middle section, and the way forward will become clear.

Picked this up Friday and just settling to play it while I watch some football. Stuck on the tutorial haha >_< I swear I've copied everything exactly how they have it but not letting me advance.

And just after posting this a button to play it popped up. Legit waited 10-15 minutes and nothing happened before that. Well okay then.

Anteo

Was inspired a little by the idea of putting Wigglers on wires by Earthpainting so made a Bowser Castle stage around the concept

WVW69iYkuBgbELA3EZ

Not entirely happy with it though. The placements on the wires are strangely different each time.

I killed the big wiggler with the cap =/

Fifth Stage, some double level pipe action going on with some terrible Star Pixel Art!

Also unlocked the Builder Mario costume!

Builder Mario: Top To Bottom (48C7-0000-0030-EB2B)

WVW69iYk5UYPaDNUwq

Kinsei

Banned
I just finished my fourth level! All of my other levels were meant to be easy to moderately difficult but this one was meant to be hard. In order to make sure it was fair I forced myself to beat it without grabbing any power-ups which took quite a few tries to do.

Ariship Assault: 32DD-0000-0030-E2B5
WVW69iYk2DYzyYpFyF

massoluk

Banned
I have been waiting for SMW set to build this one. A simple short digging and switches puzzle in the beginning, ending with a boss fight at the end. There are alternate way to beat the boss.

WVW69iYk7nAhZIxYSb

Mayhem and Switches
(CDA6-0000-0030-F193)

So I finally completed work on the first level:

WVW69iYebQkVTxS26N

World 1-1: Bowser imprisoned Mario
17D6-0000-002D-29DE

Bowser, evil King of Koopas has captured Mario and imprisoned him in his castle.
Slowly starving to death, Mario reminisces about his adventures, while suddenly a loud bang echoes through the dark castle.

Our beloved plumber has got some unexpected help from a mysterious ally...

Replayability:
- Different paths
- Find the 3 hidden 1-ups
- Collect 100 coins

The level is rather challenging but I've tweaked it as much as possible so that it never feels cheap.

Hope some of you will take the time to play it and give some proper feedback.
I've spent alot of time on this level to make it as perfect as I can.

There are some cool ideas,but I find the flow of teh level a bit lacking. Your setup does'nt feel natural and are a little overwhelming.
You really need to fix the flying koopa coming out of the pipe.

I also made a level for expert players. I spend 5 hours on this! The hard part was to make the level hard but not cheap and make it so you can complete it with or without the shoe (the shoe is easy mode)

hope some expert players can give their feedback. I don't know if my next level should be easier in order to please more players.

WVW69iYjmwsl8eyxnG

149E-0000-002D-8476

WVW69iYkuBgbELA3EZ

This course seems kind of broken. You can skip the intro by bouncing off the wiggler to the platform and long jumping to the platform with the three koopas. You can do the same for the second big wiggler by timing the goomba jumps and/or sacrificing the mushroom. Got to the Baby Bower and gave up not sure if you can wall jump up to the moving platform but gave up. Could use some work.

melos

I've loved playing through some of GAF's creations so far!

Here is the first level in what will be a full world:

Island 1-1

7459-0000-0030-1FF5

U3iRWhk.jpg

This is meant to be the introductory level that's not to hard but has a few different ways to traverse it (especially for more advanced players)

I've made a few other one-off levels so feel free to browse and follow me! Any feedback is welcome as I'm looking to find a good balance between accessibility and challenge (something I feel is lacking on the vast majority of levels currently available on the game. They either seem to be super hard or super easy.

I'll do the same for you!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
That was pretty great. Died a lot, but it always felt fair and there was never too much going on. The only thing is you had to take a leap of faith for the first bullet bill jump, which felt out of place.

Thank you! I wish I could reupload some quick edits without having to make a whole new upload.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Made my first level in the NSMB U style. Some light platforming (a bit harder towards the end) with plenty of secrets. Hope you enjoy it.

WVW69iYlBsEFqrVNGv

Joy of Spring (C659-0000-0031-016C)

Give my other levels a try:

Mariotroid (FB8C-0000-0027-BFE5)
Mushroom Split (19D9-0000-001F-7162)
Sightseeing at Bowser's Castle (5985-0000-0018-8690)
Clouds and Thorns (632E-0000-0016-E29D)
Hello World (#xa5742) (BD1C-0000-0017-2DF5)

JoeM86

I killed the big wiggler with the cap =/

Good lord, how the hell did you do that?

Bringing this one back up as I'm prouder of it :)
Basically, a friend had been doing a Mario marathon for StreetPass UK this past fortnight, and she struggled with a lot of things, specifically duck slides, Hammer Bros, ghost houses, swimming and running, so I made this level based on that

Run, duck, stop! Hammer Time!
E280-0000-002D-EE88

WVW69iYf76c-STnouU

Oidisco

Rescue Yoshi!

8B79-0000-0030-F171

Normally I wouldn’t ask, but super pretty please give me feedback on this level! I put a tonne of time and effort into it. I tried to make feel like a living world and that you’re really in the spike-tops lair. The ending in particular was something I put a lot of thought into.

And if anyone feels like it, playthrough it multiple times. It’s designed for speedrunning, with a bunch of little skips and places to optimise your speed if you can find them!

octopiggy

Sure, if you up for it here are the first two I created and refined a bit. Just worked on getting a feel for how to establish a good flow.

Pequod 2: 56E7-0000-0027-0CD2

climbing the walls 2: 9EAA-0000-0026-B39A

I'm gonna try a bunch of GAF levels at random in a bit. They're easily the best I've come across so far.

They were decent. I like the bit at the end of the second course where you're falling with the propeller hat. I might have a play around with that idea.

Haven't gotten the game yet. &#55357;&#56841; I'll let you know when I do
Oh ok. You need to get that sorted!

Here are some of mine.
I have no unfair spots or leaps of faith, all my coins and arrows always point to the main path. Please tell me if you find some glaring mistakes or oversights.

I'll first post the ones that took me the longest time to create:

Bowser's Underground Lair
WVW69iYsmaA7UEekHP

Code: 23A4-0000-0035-251E edit: new code. Had to change it again and made it a bit easier.
Concept: Bowser's following you through the level, but can't attack you directly at first. Flee and watch out for where and when he jumps! (I playtested this fairly long. Was tough to make him follow you until the end.)
"Hidden" 1-Ups: 3

The secret cavern under 1-1
Code: F9A2-0000-002D-517D
Style: SMB1
Concept: The stage has several floors and you must traverse each of them. Took a really long time to get the look exactly the way I wanted. I hope it'll be appreciated.
"Hidden" 1-Ups: 2 + The chance to get over 100 coins.

Anteo

Good lord, how the hell did you do that?

Bringing this one back up as I'm prouder of it :)

There is a moment where the wiggler goes from horizontal to vertical, if you are at the wrong positoon your body will end up inside his body and either you get hit, or he gets hit. First try he got hit. Second try I lost the cap.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just uploaded my scond course. Same core concept as my first but the difficulty is a bit more manageable I think though the level is longer. Tried to make the pacing a bit better. Let me know if you think this is better or worse than my first.

Flying Spring 2 - 3681-0000-002F-ECEB

Also if anyone is interested in my first flying spring course - EA5C-0000-0013-CE21

Reposting since it seems like the post got buried.

jholmes

Bumping for feedback. Playing it again, I feel like i could have expanded on some of the ideas.

I wish there was a way to watch replays of your levels. The most enjoyable part of level creation is trying to predict how people will play the levels and thinking of ways to manipulate them.

I think you're right. There's more to be done with the concept. I would've given the stage a bit more room to breathe. Here's something I try to do when playtesting my levels that might work for you: I try to beat the whole thing without power ups, to see what works.

With all that said, I like the idea! A thwomp-based castle stage is worth making.

Fighting Spirit
ABE4-0000-0030-ACCB

Non-standard stage that's half boss rush, half high-level SMB3 castle. Not really my cup of tea but much too good to not recommend.

WVW69iYWCw4wxihE-0

Steampunk Castle Crusade

(E222-0000-0028-D662)

This one I designed to be a unique castle stage at the end of a near final world. It's steampunk styled, so its exterior is airship-like. When making this stage, I kept all that I knew about Nintendo's design philosophies in mind. I played it over and over, tweaking elements that didn't feel Nintendo enough. I'm happy with the end result, and I feel like it could easily blend in with the rest of the levels in New Super Mario Bros. U.

In a way you seem like less of a game designer than you do an interior decorator. I mean that as a compliment! There are a lot of interesting things being done visually here. Anyone curious about what this game can look like should try this stage. You have a real eye for detail: the gas lamps in the interior portion would be window dressing in a normal stage, but they're starring players here.

To the stage itself, my big problems are in the beginning: the first jump over the fire bars is too harsh, and I don't like that you've recessed the wrench moles. Other than that, some people might find this too visually busy, but I say if you've got a signature look, embrace it!

I've gone through a bunch of levels and I'll certainly do more. If anyone was looking to give mine a spin, here's the codes again:

The Spring's the Thing: F6DA-0000-0016-3AD4
Big Trouble: 3B43-0000-0016-FFC2
Shell Shock (the TMNT one): 0CCD-0000-001D-9748
Buzzy's Cavern: D2D2-0000-0026-9161
Mole Mountain: 2AB6-0000-002D-182F

SeanNoonan

I didn't see too many water levels, so here's mine. I had some criticism for making my levels a little too difficult, so I toned this down a bit.

Water Type
7E77-0000-0025-8E8B

COziMR5W8AAto7K.jpg

Teppic

Rescue Yoshi!

8B79-0000-0030-F171

Normally I wouldn’t ask, but super pretty please give me feedback on this level! I put a tonne of time and effort into it. I tried to make feel like a living world and that you’re really in the spike-tops lair. The ending in particular was something I put a lot of thought into.

And if anyone feels like it, playthrough it multiple times. It’s designed for speedrunning, with a bunch of little skips and places to optimise your speed if you can find them!
Played it and stared it. It was a fun level and I appreciated that you put a lot of thought behind it.

JoeM86

There is a moment where the wiggler goes from horizontal to vertical, if you are at the wrong positoon your body will end up inside his body and either you get hit, or he gets hit. First try he got hit. Second try I lost the cap.

Odd. I'll see if I can fix that. Tested like 20 times and that never happened.

PBalfredo

I just finished my fourth level! All of my other levels were meant to be easy to moderately difficult but this one was meant to be hard. In order to make sure it was fair I forced myself to beat it without grabbing any power-ups which took quite a few tries to do.

Ariship Assault: 32DD-0000-0030-E2B5
WVW69iYk2DYzyYpFyF

Just got through it. It's tough but fair, though finding a landing spot in those first few airships can be pretty rough. Maybe giving the player a fireflower instead of a mushroom in the beginning so they could take an extra hit would help the difficulty find the sweetspot?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Here's my attempt at emulating Wario's Castle from SML2, please check it out and let me know how I did.

SuperMario Land 2:Wario's Castle (A17A-0000-0031-1E6D)

Kinsei

Banned
Just got through it. It's tough but fair, though finding a landing spot in those first few airships can be pretty rough. Maybe giving the player a fireflower instead of a mushroom in the beginning so they could take an extra hit would help the difficulty find the sweetspot?

You mean the infantry ships with the enemies walking around with cannons on their backs? I intended the cannons themselves to be the landing spots. Were you doing that or trying to slip in between the enemies? There's also a hidden mushroom in the ghost ship in case you need an extra hit to reach the boss.

SalvaPot

Ok, here it the first course I do with a basic idea, 3 ways to beat it, an easy way, a normal way and a hard way, if you miss the chance to get the easy way...

WVW69iYlQ2Y_yQRYk8

CAC8-0000-0031-22F7, Spiky Faces.

Top Bottom