• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would people prefer Wario to be based on primarily Wario Land or keep him as is?
Make his neutral B his shoulder barge, his d-Air the butt stomp and his throw's his wrestling moves from Wario World and I'm fine with everything else staying as is. I used to want something like Spring Wario as his recovery but after thinking about it it'd be a pain in the ass to pull off and what he has now isn't too out of character, just... Sort of not from anything, like a lot of his current moves.

Wario's always weird as hell and gross, it just rubs me the wrong way how Brawl up and pretends Land through to Land 4 and World don't exist*. It's even more jarring now after Ware has fallen by the wayside

*Ware's cast of characters is vastly better than whatever constitutes as Land's cast though. Syrup really only has a personality in Shake It and villain-wise they're even more disposable and interchangeable than DK's villains are from game to game.

Project M did it better.

fNSUo8G.png

This thing is awful.

(Nearly) complete list of music w/ links.

Why is the World Map theme from Pikmin listed as Original? It's a new rendition.

That's the one move of his that I haven't found a use for. I thought it might block projectiles, but that doesn't seem to be the case (Unless I got the timing wrong)..

down smash while having the lowest range has the highest kill move potential it can kill link around 80% with a small charge (it is by far megamans best kill move beside his mega upper)

Violet_0

Banned
custom moves are the best thing to come out of Smash 4

I really dislike the decision to exclude them from the online mode. I hope they fix this at some point

Is there anyway I can get a Japanese copy and hack the English patch into and play on a DS Lite or something? Don't know much about that sorta thing, but want to know because I want to get around to Mother 3 sometime. Don't want to have to play on a computer.

There's also the option of getting a reproduction cart of the English fan translation of the game. You could probably hit up the GB/GBC/GBA Collecting thread to ask where they can be bought from. (I don't remember off of the top of my head.) Playing on original hardware is definitely the best option though, the game's melee attack combo system is otherwise busted on emulators.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
*Ware's cast of characters is vastly better than whatever constitutes as Land's cast though. Syrup really only has a personality in Shake It and villain-wise they're even more disposable and interchangeable than DK's villains are from game to game.

It makes me sad that all the great WarioWare characters are basically forever stuck to being mini-game hosts, and never get to appear in even the Marip Spin-offs.

The most memorable Wario-Land/World character to me is that Dyna-Might boss, you know, the giant lizard wearing a bra and panties.

That's lame.

I thought the two songs per stage thing was because they couldn't fit enough songs on the game card, but now it seems like a pretty arbitrary limitation.

Yep, it's on my most wanted list for a patch.

Simply holding L at the stage select screen to pick option 3 if it exists would be enough. Make the background turn blue. Bonus: Let us hold L and R to guarantee music 1 and make the background yellow.

georly

Man. I don't know if you guys are watching this tournament but Smash 4 is hype. Way more fun to watch than Brawl.

twitch.tv/clashtournaments

You said it. Whether or not smash 4 is fun to watch/play is all that matters for tournaments. If people want to watch it, it will get an audience, which means it'll have sponsors, which means more people will play it. It's good. Outlook is very good.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
In a way, though, Wario's characterization in SSE was way closer to his roots than his friendlier WW appearance.

Oh man, remember how in the old games when someone got a star the CPUs would stop fighting and run away to the other side of the stage and stand still?

They don't do that anymore. They just distance themselves from the person with the star, but they're still killing machines. Based CPUs.

FSLink

Banned
There's also the option of getting a reproduction cart of the English fan translation of the game. You could probably hit up the GB/GBC/GBA Collecting thread to ask where they can be bought from. (I don't remember off of the top of my head.) Playing on original hardware is definitely the best option though, the game's melee attack combo system is otherwise busted on emulators.

Though it's playable on Wii's GBA emulator through homebrew, didn't have trouble at all doing combo system on that.

It's pretty hilarious and creative that they're using Sonic with custom increased speed to kill itself so they can use it as the "stream 3DS", but still let other people wirelessly connect to it.

Oh man, you should've saw the ROB vs. Mario set earlier. Absolutely crazy shenanigans, and lots of clean slates (same stocks at 0%).
I'll have to check that out. I haven't seen any high level Marios yet.

Legitimate question: is there a reason, besides having it early, that I should pick this up before the Wii U version?
I'd say the main reason is having portable Smash. Bus rides and flying across country for me just got way less boring.

Woah woah woah

hold the phone

Kongo Jungle uses SMASH 64 MUSIC

SWEET LORD BASED SAKURAI

I can't handle this nostalgia. I just can't. This was my favorite song from Smash 64 and my favorite level.

Neiteio

I'll have to check that out. I haven't seen any high level Marios yet.

I'd say the main reason is having portable Smash. Bus rides and flying across country for me just got way less boring.
They were both awesome. I'm especially impressed by how capable ROB is now. He more than holds his own in every matchup. Super-buffed!

Though it's playable on Wii's GBA emulator through homebrew, didn't have trouble at all doing combo system on that.

Huh. I don't think I've actually heard about it's performance on the Wii GBA emulator. That might be a good alternative, too.

Once again a NSMB remix shows that the original composition was never the problem.

Yeah, it's all in the instrumentation. Even the Brawl remix was okay because of it.

FSLink

Banned
I like NSMB's tunes, the problem is that they reuse the themes a lot. I don't need to listen to another remix of 1-2, NSMB castle, etc. The new themes they added in NSMBU are fantastic.

Legitimate question: is there a reason, besides having it early, that I should pick this up before the Wii U version?

Smash Run is lots of fun, was playing it tons on stream earlier. It's also 3DS exclusive.

Huh. I don't think I've actually heard about it's performance on the Wii GBA emulator. That might be a good alternative, too.

Yeah not sure it's perfect since I haven't compared it to the actual GBA cart, but it's definitely playable. Was doing 16 hit combos with ease on the battle themes I'm good on. Wiimote is also pretty comfortable for Mother 3 also, and setting a billinear filter can make it feel like Earthbound, blurry and on your TV, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom