• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
To address a comment in chat, ZeRo isn't actually in Chile. He's in the US now.

The lag's just pure jank connection, not sure who's responsible for it.

Neiteio

I'm watching the Makai stream and there's some non-game music playing. Is this something that was added? Any way to just hear the in-game music?

EDIT: I like Kanye West, but I can't stand listening to him in Smash. Back to the other streams! The 60 fps looked nice, though.

It's finally complete! Great stuff here. I think Ness, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Shulk, and Dark Pit are my favorites.

Guess I missed that. How low does it kill at then? 30%? 50%? It looks like it consistently launches you straight up like rest, so I'm guessing there's a point where it does become a true 1hko.

I really don't know; I haven't been watching the streams when Mac is up. Anyone know the approximate threshold for Mac's KO punch?

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone been able to tell if For Glory pairs you with harder players the more you win, or does it seem somewhat random? It would be interesting if you got a ranking #, though I guess people would brag about it.

Mik2121

After having played this game since release on Saturday, I've been playing quite a bit.
Also the streetpass stuff is interesting (?) but I still don't know exactly what I get, other than coins and some extra bits.

I really wish the Smash Run songs would be available for multi-player. Just make them unlockable! It creates an objective increase to the game's overall quality. They could just do this:

Battlefield
-SSB4 Main Theme (New)
-SSBM Menu Theme (Brawl)
-8 Bit Main Theme (New)

Final Destination
-SSB4 Theme Arrangement 1 (New)
-FUCKING INCREDIBLE MELEE THEME (NEW)
-Mechanical Rhythm (Original)

3D Land
-3D Land Main Theme/Beach Theme (New)
-SMB3 Medley (New)
-Rainbow Cruise (Melee)

Rainbow Road
-Rainbow Road Handheld Medley (New)
-Rainbow Road MK7 (Original)

Golden Plains
-NSMB Athletic Theme (New)
-SMB Medley (New)

Paper Mario
-Try Try Again (New)
-Paper Mario Medley (New)

Mushroomy Kingdom (Brawl)
-SMB Ground Theme (Brawl)
-SMB Underground Theme (Brawl)

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Obstacle Course (Brawl)
-Yoshi's Story Ending (Brawl)

Jungle Japes (Melee)
-Kongo Jungle (Smash 64)
-Gear Getaway (New)
-Bramble Blast (Brawl)

Gameboy Dreamland
-Kirby's Dreamland Medley (Original*)
-Green Greens Ver. 2 (New)
-The Legendary Air Ride Machine (Brawl)

Magicant
-Eight Melodies (New)
-Smiles and Tears (New)

Mute City
-Mute City Theme (New)
-Mute City Theme SNES (Original)

Corneria (Melee)
-Corneria (Melee)
-Star Wolf/Sector Z (New)
-Area 6/Missile Slipstream (New)

Brinstar (Melee)
-Brinstar (Melee)
-Brinstar Depths (Melee)

Prism Tower
-X&Y Trainer Battle (New)
-Lumiose City (Original)

Unova Pokemon League
-N's Castle (New)
-Vs Reshiram/Zekrom (New)

Gerudo Valley
-Gerudo Valley Theme (New)
-Ocarina of Time Medley (Brawl)
-Skyward Sword Ballad of The Goddess/Ghirahim Theme (New)
-Temple (Melee)

Spirit Train
-Full Steam Ahead (New)
-LoZ Medley (New)
-Link to The Past Dark World/Dark Palace (New)

Arena Ferox
-Id/Purpose (Original)
-Together We Ride (Melee)
-With Mila's Divine Protection (Brawl)

Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
-Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
-Flat Zone (Melee)
-Tetris Type A (Brawl)

Reset Bomb Forest
-Wrath of The Reset Bomb (New)
-Dark Pit's Theme (Original)
-Inside The Space-Pirate Ship (New)
-KI Uprising Boss Battle 1 (Original)

Distant Planet (Brawl)
-Pikmin Title Theme (Original)
-World Map Theme (New)

Warioware Inc. (Brawl)
-Warioware Inc. (Brawl)
-Ashley's Theme (Brawl)

Green Hill Zone (Brawl)
-Green Hill Zone (Original)
-Live and Learn (Original)

Tortimer Island
-Island Day/Minigame Theme (New)
-Kapp'n Song (New)

Wily Castle
-Mega Man 2 Medley (New)
-Mega Man 2 Stage Medley (Original*)
-Air Man (New)
-Spark Man (New)

Boxing Ring
-Running/Countdown Medley (New)
-Punch Out! Wii Minor Circuit (Original)

Pac-Maze
-Pac-Man Club Mix (New)
-Pac-Man Medley (New)
-Pac-Man Park (New)

Gaur Plain
-And You Will Know Our Names (Original)
-Gaur Plain Theme (Original)

Pictochat 2
-Pictochat (Brawl)
-Dr. Mario Fever (Melee)

Find Mii
-Find Mii Final Boss (New)
-Find Mii 2: Save The World Heroes! (New)

Living Room
-Bath Time Theme Vocal Mix (New)
-Bath Time Theme Non-Vocal Mix (New)

Balloon Fight
-Balloon Fight Theme (New)
-Balloon Trip Theme (New)
-Mysterious Castle Murasame Medley (New)

Tomodachi Life
-Tomodachi Life (New)
-Mii Channel (New)

This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZXBYJU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's not cheap, but it seems good to me and as long as you're careful, it's not difficult to remove. There's a tab below the touchscreen you can pull on to lift the 3DS XL up. I still wouldn't want to take it on and off a lot though, for fear of scraping the 3DS XL or something. I just leave the stylus out all the time and there's no reason to remove the grip.

Despite the rubber coating mention, the grips are quite firm, not squishy.

Thanks for this info.

LOL I'm watching Shofu's stream and one of the guys on the stream said Chestnaught could have been an alt for Bowser. The other guy says how would you explain him breathing fire? Then someone chimes in and says he could breath leaves lol.

Crayolan

I really wish the Smash Run songs would be available for multi-player. Just make them unlockable! It creates an objective increase to the game's overall quality. They could just do this:

Why would Mechanical Rhythm be on FD, lol.

If I had it my way though you'd be able to customize your music to have any song play on any stage.

As excited as I am for the full version, the more I play the demo (and juxtapose it with playing Melee, Brawl, and PM) the more I wish a few mechanics were different. Mostly I really, really miss dash dancing. I wonder why they removed it - it was pretty harmless, added a fun element of mobility and mindgames, and wasn't exactly hard to pull off.

I don't know if they changed the speed of it or if the little sparkle just acts as a placebo, but fastfalling is really satisfying.

SlickVic

So what's the number of blocks required to store the full game on an SD card? I heard people originally say ~2.1GB but others saying it was less. Curious if I can squeeze this onto my 4GB card along with AA5 and MK7.

sfried

Something I noticed in Training mode
When paused, the models for the characters look great, but in motion they downgrade substantially (look at Mario's hands or Link's boots)
i9ybfkX15YPj4.gif

In bad quality pic form

But because the camera is so zoomed out during fights, we can barely notice it. Ignore me if old. I just thought it was an interesting thing Sakurai did. Models still look good either way.
I forgot what the trick is called but it seems they turn off polygonal subdivision (the thing that makes round geometric objects look round) during gameplay to keep performance up.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
LOL I'm watching Shofu's stream and one of the guys on the stream said Chestnaught could have been an alt for Bowser. The other guy says how would you explain him breathing fire? Then someone chimes in and says he could breath leaves lol.

I like Greninja, but Chestnaught would've been awesome. Can totally imagine the Spiky Shield .

As excited as I am for the full version, the more I play the demo (and juxtapose it with playing Melee, Brawl, and PM) the more I wish a few mechanics were different. Mostly I really, really miss dash dancing. I wonder why they removed it - it was pretty harmless, added a fun element of mobility and mindgames, and wasn't exactly hard to pull off.

I don't know if they changed the speed of it or if the little sparkle just acts as a placebo, but fastfalling is really satisfying.
You can still dash dance, it is just hard on the circle pad. Put your index finger on it and wiggle back and forth.

It looks like this when you do it right:
http://youtu.be/YTr4PNSWjCw

Kyzon

i've yet to catch up on all the smash info since yesterday but how is everyone perceiving duck hunt's style of play? i'm interested in using him.

His Zoning game is absolutely amazing! His up close game isn't anything to laugh at either.

Overall, he seems solid so far. He can kill kinda from afar with the can.

Mik2121

I forgot what the trick is called but it seems they turn off polygonal subdivision (the thing that makes round geometric objects look round) during gameplay to keep performance up.

You're thinking about tessellation, but what they are doing is just probably changing LODs (LOD0 - Photo mode, LOD1 - Gameplay mode).

So what's the number of blocks required to store the full game on an SD card? I heard people originally say ~2.1GB but others saying it was less. Curious if I can squeeze this onto my 4GB card along with AA5 and MK7.
2.1GB reserved, but like 1GB of that space actually used.

i've yet to catch up on all the smash info since yesterday but how is everyone perceiving duck hunt's style of play? i'm interested in using him.
Strong keep away.

His Zoning game is absolutely amazing! His up close game isn't anything to laugh at either.

Overall, he seems solid so far. He can kill kinda from afar with the can.

so he's more of a spacer type fighter?

I was a big snake fan and used him primarily as my main in brawl and project m. who might you recommend me to try (based on that) when the game comes out in the US? any character in smash 4 have a similar play style/feel?

So it reserves some space for potential DLC? I guess that's reasonable. Thanks.
It looks like it reserves a ton of space. Time to be excited!

I mean, yeah, but it's kinda pointless if you can only dance dash in place. You can't really... do anything with it, outside of maybe show off between stocks. Maybe it would be a decent intimidation tactic?
Still good for mind games. Imo, the pad is holding execution back in this game. I won't judge the game's speed and flow until a month after the Wii U version is out.

Delio

I really love listening to D1 talk. He is on Shofu's stream atm and he was speaking some pretty truthful stuff. Nothing but respect.

Why would Mechanical Rhythm be on FD, lol.

If I had it my way though you'd be able to customize your music to have any song play on any stage.

Because the other areas don't fit MR as well as FD does

Honestly, every song that appears in Smash - and is a full-length song - should be unlockable. Battlefield with the Trophy Display theme? Beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom