• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna try to attend the Anaheim GameStop tournament. Don't expect to win really, but it'd be loads of fun. Some pretty cool prizes to the victors. I'm impressed, Ninty.

Just grind for hours until you get some insanely good, legal equipment. When you can kill your opponents in two hits all Smash skill pretty much goes out the window.

SuperSah

Banned
Is Amazon particularly cheaper?

Also, was there ever any more mention of that discounted double pack? Me and my three younger brothers could go for it...

Got mine for £26.85 because I got the Mother's Day preorder deal thing back in March.

I have heard zilch about the double pack past announcement.

Just grind for hours until you get some insanely good, legal equipment. When you can kill your opponents in two hits all Smash skill pretty much goes out the window.
I don't think you can use equipment in the local rounds, and even if you can you are limited to the provided setups.

THe closest gamestop tourney to me is about 8hrs away. The smashers from my state have made that road trip before but we had some lodging arranged etc... im still debating if its worth it... I mean, my preorder isnt there, what is it like the first 64 people? Bleh

It sounds like Equipment isnt allowed for the gamestop part but if you move on it totally is. Man FFA's with Items I can handle but once tourneys start doin customized eqiupment... oh boy

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think you can use equipment in the local rounds, and even if you can you are limited to the provided setups.

The rules posted on the previous page say you can use equipment, aside from the listed restrictions. It also says you can bring your own game/save file and use that, but you also have to set up a character on a tournament save because either player can choose to restrict play to those setups and not the personal ones.

I don't see the point in allowing personal saves if they are going to have that stipulation anyway, the only reason to use a personal save is if you can get some broken equipment to use against your opponent. Anybody would be crazy NOT to choose to restrict everything to the provided setups.

Edit: Oh, the equipment part is listed under the national part of the rules in the link, I was just going by the post.

The rules posted on the previous page say you can use equipment, aside from the listed restrictions. It also says you can bring your own game/save file and use that, but you also have to set up a character on a tournament save because either player can choose to restrict play to those setups and not the personal ones.

I don't see the point in allowing personal saves if they are going to have that stipulation anyway, the only reason to use a personal save is if you can get some broken equipment to use against your opponent. Anybody would be crazy NOT to choose to restrict everything to the provided setups.
That's for the national round.

Local tournament rules don't say anything about equipment.

emb

http://smashbros.nintendo.com/rules/

The locals are pretty different from the national rounds. They don't mention anything about data or customization for locals, except that you can't use any secret characters, even if they get unlocked while playing. So presumably, it's a fresh game file.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The rules sound terrible though. Starts out with FFA's and has items on.

Not like there's one in DC anyway, so it makes no difference for me.

Edit: And they don't even give the locations for the playable demo, despite it being 2 days away.

Yeah, I would like to know demo location tho.

Violet_0

Banned
found this on Smashboards, dunno if it's old news
m7TePGU.png

I find this ridley interesting

Guys, what is the actual size of Smash for 3DS? I remember the box says it is 2.1GB (around 17,000 blocks), but some people were saying the game is actually smaller than that.

Violet_0

Banned
Yeah this is relatively old. Ryce pointed out that "in-game shop" is how Nintendo has historically referred to DLC shops in several games. It's the best evidence for DLC so far.

well, that's reassuring. There are still a few characters missing that I really want to have in the game

Quick question, just saw on FaceBook on the 27th Gamestop is having a demo kiosk for the 3DS version. Will it be the same demo or a different one? And have locations been posted yet?

emb

Quick question, just saw on FaceBook on the 27th Gamestop is having a demo kiosk for the 3DS version. Will it be the same demo or a different one? And have locations been posted yet?
If I had to bet, I'd say it's probably the full starting roster like that one in Japan a few days before the game came out.

But I don't think we really know.

SmithnCo

btw, you get the OP critical hit badge equipment by getting 300 KOs, on the second challenge board. So when you want to start farming custom moves, I would complete the first board (easy), then set up a 2.0 damage stock against CPUs until you unlock the badge. It makes 9.0 classic easy.

Jawmuncher

tumblr_inline_mv7hieEOpO1rima5v.gif

My gamestop isn't having a midnight for Super Smash Bros. But they are having one for Shadows of Mordor. Simply horrible. Wal-Mart it is then. Hopefully there won't be much issue there about getting it.

Jawmuncher

Looks like things just turned around.

Called a gamestop 20 minutes away and they will be having a midnight and the demo unit.
Looks like i'll roll up over there on saturday, preorder and try to get in on the demo as well.

Man the demo is really really fun. I never really enjoy playing Brawl because all my friends are better than me and we play on a big HDTV with input lag but I'm really enjoying the villager.

emb

tumblr_inline_mv7hieEOpO1rima5v.gif

My gamestop isn't having a midnight for Super Smash Bros. But they are having one for Shadows of Mordor. Simply horrible. Wal-Mart it is then. Hopefully there won't be much issue there about getting it.
That's no fun. :(

Mine pulled the same thing for the Wii U. I refused to shop there for like a year before I forgot all about being mad, lol. I'll find out tomorrow if mine is opening for Smash. I've heard many are, so mine probably is. But if not I'll at least get a chance to act all angry and cancel a preorder (oh, what rebellion!).

I might end up at Wal*Mart too. That didn't work too well for Pokemon with me though...

Jawmuncher

Play 120 vs matches. 1 stock, max KO power, all damage/exploding items.

Have fun!

Never mind about the demo. It's apparently the same as the eshop one.
On Sept. 27, to give fans time to practice for the main event, 100 GameStop locations around the country (including the 15 listed above) will offer visitors the opportunity to enjoy the same demo version of the game that is currently available in the Nintendo eShop.
Though i'm hoping that's a mistake. Since Japan got a full starter demo. So it seems kind of unfair if that's the case.

That's no fun. :(

Mine pulled the same thing for the Wii U. I refused to shop there for like a year before I forgot all about being mad, lol. I'll find out tomorrow if mine is opening for Smash. I've heard many are, so mine probably is. But if not I'll at least get a chance to act all angry and cancel a preorder (oh, what rebellion!).

I might end up at Wal*Mart too. That didn't work too well for Pokemon with me though...

Yeah the one that's 20 minutes away is open and the only reason I want to go there is that I'll for sure be able to get the game.
Since Wal-Mart can be hit and miss unless it's a big game as well for them. It's just all going to depend how I feel come thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom