• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 3: Ridley's Believe It or Not!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah Village, I think you are doing your usual thing of reading too much into someone's post. Not once did I say R.O.B couldn't be character. I just don't like how they portrayed him in SSE. I do not like the characteristics they gave it. And oh look the Captain Falcon example everyone pulls out. Read the bloody manual, he's a bounty hunter as well. Just a race car driver pfft.

I've said it before in the thread, I think SSE took itself too seriously for what should have been a silly romp through Nintendoland. To put it simply, make it more Mario RPG rather than Final Fantasy.

Kokonoe

Banned
Isn't Charmeleon pretty much orange in X/Y?

One thing I'm actually curious about, how do you feel about the stages so far? The bad palette in brawl was bad for me on the characters but killed a ton of the stages for me. (the hell was wrong with mushroomy kingdom?)

Personally I think the stages so far have been brilliant and quite a number of them make me very happy with their colours (Galaxy Stage is my favourite smash stage ever, visually speaking)

Any strong opinions there?
Skyloft stage looks a lot drabber than it has any right to, considering the source material.

lol yep. He's not his typical solid red in X&Y.

Actually, believe it or not, I think what this game does great are the stages. My issues are the characters. I think the stages are a significant improvement over Brawl's worn out stages that lack colors, but sometimes it's not so much that they lack color in the middle of the textures, it's that they use some weird shading around the edges I think that makes it blacker and less colorful. I think the lighting plays a role in this as well. Brawl really annoys me with the style used, only because the color takes a hit big time for it. I really hated playing on Battlefield because it's so drab.

I think Smash Bros. U does stages very well, I just don't care for most of the character models.

Kjellson

It's funny reading posts like "R.O.B. will probably be cut" and "R.O.B. should go". It reminds me of the pre-Brawl days where a lot of people thought Mr. Game & Watch were going to be cut, while I never see them today. I don't really know why so many people think WTF characters are getting cut, and I expect a lot of "Wii Fit Trainer is cut!" posts before next Smash while Mr. G&W and R.O.B. sits safely.

Village

A light character who's also a big target--I guess Sakurai didn't learn his lesson with Mewtwo after all.

If Brawl and Melee is any indication. Any character that can spawn puppet or has a partner end up being high teir. She will be on some olimar Ice climbers stuff

Lets just agree to disagree.

Thanks for the offer! I'll stick with Doommutt for now, but if I come up with a cool idea, I'll run it past you. :3

Cool dude.

lol yep. He's not his typical solid red in X&Y.

Actually, believe it or not, I think what this game does great are the stages. My issues are the characters. I think the stages are a significant improvement over Brawl's worn out stages that lack colors, but sometimes it's not so much that they lack color in the middle of the textures, it's that they use some weird shading around the edges I think that makes it blacker and less colorful. I think the lighting plays a role in this as well. Brawl really annoys me with the style used, only because the color takes a hit big time for it. I really hated playing on Battlefield because it's so drab.

I think Smash Bros. U does stages very well, I just don't care for most of the character models.

Hahah I don't find it hard to believe you like em, personally I think the stages so far are an amazing improvement over Brawl in pretty much 100% of all cases so far.

Skyloft's a bit more drab than it looked in Skyward Sword but that's still a big improvement over the mess that was Brawl.

Mista Koo

Wow at Rosalina's size, never noticed it in Galaxy.

Did people really want this? outside of in-game, Mario has always looked the same in his renders. He hasn't had a design change since Donkey Kong -> Mario NES. I remember people always wanted him to look like this growing up (which happened on later consoles).
Here's a good image that shows the changes in Mario's design:

PCt5QR8.jpg

The first was used since SMB box art drawn by Miyamoto himself.

XY's got a pretty awful palette though, why was everything so dull?
Totally agreed. I didn't mind the new Pokemon, but the old ones looked so washed out in comparison.

Thanks, do you want one?
Can I ask for one :D?

Roo

Did people really want this? outside of in-game, Mario has always looked the same in his renders. He hasn't had a design change since Donkey Kong -> Mario NES. I remember people always wanted him to look like this growing up (which happened on later consoles).

d17AAMD.jpg

Actually you're wrong.
You're naive if you think Mario hasn't changed his design since his conception.
You don't need a massive make over to call it design refinement. Subtle changes are enough for that, taller model, smaller eyes, less rounded face, shorter mustache, smaller nose, bigger shoes and stuff like that. You can call it hardware or creativity limitations thanks to the tools available back in the day but his renders from NSMB/3DWORLD looking nothing like his N64 ones.

qq more

Actually you're wrong.
You're naive if you think Mario hasn't changed his design since his conception.
You don't need a massive make over to call it design refinement. Subtle changes are enough for that. You can call it hardware or creativity limitations thanks to the tools available back in the day but his renders from NSMB/3DWORLD looking nothing like his N64 ones.
wow such a tough guy

Jaeger

...changed his design since his conception.
...design refinement.

These words don't go together. Either Mario's design has changed, or his existing design has been refined. Not both.

PROTIP - He's slimmer, brighter, but he's not different or changed. Also, it's kind of the nature of design in most genre/mediums to "slim" things up. Look at car design, or anime and mecha. It's just in our nature.

Blues1990

As fun as it is to see what new characters the game will reveal, I'm more interested in seeing what new stages they will include in the game. I would love to play on a stage that is heavily based off of the Another Dimension level from Kirby's Return to Dreamland, for example.

As fun as it is to see what new characters the game will reveal, I'm more interested in seeing what new stages they will include in the game. I would love to play on a stage that is heavily based off of the Another Dimension level from Kirby's Return to Dreamland, for example.

Yeah, I'm super excited about new characters but in the end, I'll probably still main Ganondorf. I should be more excited about items and stages

Muzy72

Banned
Someone has the same avatar as me. Clearly we need an avatar bet to settle this issue :lol

EDIT: or I might be crazy. I could have sworn someone in this thread (specifically Troubled Bat) had this avatar :S. This is why I should browse GAF early in the morning and then post about what I saw hours later :p

Clov

I'm not sure if it will happen, but either in the actual game or as DLC I'd love to see stages from 64 and Melee return. I'd love to fight in Saffron City again.

Muzy72

Banned
I'm not sure if it will happen, but either in the actual game or as DLC I'd love to see stages from 64 and Melee return. I'd love to fight in Saffron City again.
I really hope Sakurai isn't against DLC because I'd love some DLC stages. I want character DLC but I highly doubt that'll happen.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I personally think Pikachu has never looked better.

main.png

Look at how ugly Brawl's model was in comparison.

pikachu.jpg

I always think that every smash that comes out, that pikachu could look no better only to be proven wrong, it was a different time back then but I thought pikachu was accurate in smash, until melee came out, and I thought he was completely accurate in melee, until brawl came out, then I thought pikachu couldnt get no better, now smash 4 is coming out lol. I wouldnt say his brawl model was anywhere near ugly though. thats def the wrong word to use.

I really hope Sakurai isn't against DLC because I'd love some DLC stages. I want character DLC but I highly doubt that'll happen.

Yeah I got this avatar since Rosalina & Luma was revealed.

Oh so it was you! I mixed you up with TroubledBat xD. Hope you don't mind me having the same avatar :S

Well I don't post on the gaming side often so go right ahead..
You're both the same! Who is who?!?

One the toy story movies 3 in particular are pretty dark. And pretty gritty and real, despite the toys is a very interesting and stern lesson about growing up and moving on with you life and trying the best YOU can be.

On the other hand Smash bros story is pretty light hatred, conflict and turmoil are not things that denote serious stories, conflict and turmoil can be in any type of story. Sure the art style was a bit grit, but I dunno That entire narrative was pretty silly and knew it was.

Mr. Potato head is a head that is a potato you mess up the face with, he got problems too. I do see why this has to limit the narrative, it is not what he is , it is what he does.

Yes the smash bros narrative is silly. ( I will admit is not the best written ) however I see that is a bad thing though. Why shouldn't he be used this way? I not getting it.

I hope this isn't code for a story where nothing happens. Because that sounds boring. because brawl was light hearted. Do not confuse basic plot elements like emotion or conflict as not light hearted.

Captain Falcon is a race car driver.

Apparently liberties can be taken when not enough information is there to provide an attitude or move set. Why knew?

I mostly agree with you about the Subspace Emissary, but I can also see where BGBW is coming from, particularly the point about R.O.B. being misrepresented. It's not inherently a bad idea to ever present R.O.B. in the way they did, it's just that it was his first significant in-game appearance and his first significant role in a Nintendo game in over 20 years. While Mario acted like Mario, Diddy acted like Diddy, Ganondorf like Ganondorf, etc., the way R.O.B. was presented was totally at odds with the weird universe you'd expect him to share along Professors Hector and Vector in Gyromite's simple, quirky story: http://www.nindb.net/game/gyromite.html

NeonZ

I just want a better map editor. I don't know why they restricted Brawl's in completely unnecessary ways (like only 3 backgrounds even though there were more 2d backgrounds in the game).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They haven't even announced that there will be a character selection screen!

We're going to have to play as who the game decides we must play as!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Speaking of Jumpman vs. Mario, always thought it'd be cool if the Retro Character was Jump Man, basically a Game and Watch-type deal (the sprite being turned into a flat, 3D model) that looked just like his original Donkey Kong incarnation, with a slightly different move set including his hammer and barrels (he'd like jump, and a barrel would spawn rolling underneath him that would hit foes).

Kyzon

So Thursday's Pic. I'm betting Ganondorf. We haven't had a Villain in a while.

Poster's Note: I'm not really betting. This avatar gives me too much joy.

Clov

Personally I think character DLC will happen. Like with most Nintendo DLC, they'll start work on it after the game goes gold. I can see alts, stages, and eventually even new characters being DLC at some point after the game's release.

Ryce

Speaking of Jumpman vs. Mario, always thought it'd be cool if the Retro Character was Jump Man, basically a Game and Watch-type deal (the sprite being turned into a flat, 3D model) that looked just like his original Donkey Kong incarnation, with a slightly different move set including his hammer and barrels (he'd like jump, and a barrel would spawn rolling underneath him that would hit foes).
That seems a little too arbitrary to me. Mr. Game & Watch is flat because he comes from a series of LCD games, but a pixelated Mario doesn't make much sense. He only looked like that in-game because of technical limitations at the time -- in the game art and promotional materials, the Donkey Kong characters looked completely normal. It would be like making the Ice Climbers flat and pixelated just for the sake of it. Jumpman is just the 1980 depiction of Mario, a character who's already in the game. (He even has the Donkey Kong death animation as one of his taunts!)

Top Bottom