• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supreme Court Nominee - Neil M. Gorsuch |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa22word

You know, there might be a silver lining to Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court.

Apparently, he has a hate boner for executive orders, so he might vote to cancel any of Trump's EOs that are challenged in court.

Now, I don't know if he only hates them when Democrats use them, but if he hates them unconditionally, that could make him a good candidate for keeping Trump in check. Bad for keeping Congressional laws in check, but we'll never get a nominee that's good for that.

Well Scalia was a constructionalist who pulled shit out of his ass to defend personal usage of firearms, so I wouldn't get my hopes up on that front as long as he agrees with the executive order in question.

Lime

C3ovrz-UYAAdFu5.jpg:large

The Anti-Trump ‏@IMPL0RABLE 6h6 hours ago

#TheResistance #ImpeachTrump

Fiercely conservative at prep school, #Gorsuch wrote in yearbook he founded & led "Fascism Forever Club"

Link is to DailyMail so I won't post it, but here's the quote;

Supreme Court Justice nominee Neil Gorsuch founded and led a student group called the ‘Fascism Forever Club’ at his elite high school, DailyMail.com can reveal.

The club was set up to rally against the ‘left-wing tendencies’ of his professors while attending a Jesuit all-boys preparatory high school near Washington D.C.

The name may be inconvenient for a Supreme Court nominee facing a tough confirmation battle. However it also shows the depth of Gorscuch’s right-wing credentials – and his penchant for mischief while attending his exclusive prep school in the 1980s.

Is this a real image? Is it verified?

It bubbled up from The Mail. It's only banging around the blogosphere ATM. But when a fascist-friendly paper is the locus for it, perhaps they have a proper source for the year-book, or at least the inside-scoop compared to more mainstream news orgs.

sangreal

Having worked on my HS yearbook, I'd say it is probably a joke. I just find it very hard to believe that anyone would create such a club in 1985

Having worked on my HS yearbook, I'd say it is probably a joke. I just find it very hard to believe that anyone would create such a club in 1985
No it isn't a joke
He did found the club as he didn't like the academic PC climate, and all those SJWs way back whenever, and there is other cheerful stuff about a speech he made as president of the club.
Anyway it's just good fun, didn't we all want to be president of our local anti-PC club in our private schools?

sangreal

No it isn't a joke
He did found the club as he didn't like the academic PC climate, and all those SJWs way back whenever, and there is other cheerful stuff about a speech he made as president of the club.
Anyway it's just good fun, didn't we all want to be president of our local anti-PC club in our private schools?

source? on any of that

e: saw other thread; jfc

This might be thread worthy but I don't like creating political threads... Pretty big story out of CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/08/politics/gorsuch-trump-tweets/index.html?adkey=bn

Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch told a US senator Wednesday that President Donald Trump's tweets about the judiciary are "demoralizing" and "disheartening."

While meeting with Democratic Senator Dick Blumenthal,

"[Gorsuch] said very specifically that [Trump's tweets on judges] were demoralizing and disheartening and he characterized them very specifically that way," Blumenthal said of Gorsuch. "I said they were more than disheartening and I said to him that he has an obligation to make his views clear to the American people, so they understand how abhorrent or unacceptable President Trump's attacks on the judiciary are."

Confirmed by Gorsuch's communications coordinator as well.

Trump gonna be mad. Has a president ever withdrawn his supreme court nominee before hearings begin, for his own reasons?

Daaaamn. I wonder if he'll get withdrawn? Or withdraw himself? Trump really isn't doing himself any favors when he talks shit on the judicial branch.

EDIT: Also, this needs its own thread.

JB2448

The dude can speak really well, that's for sure. Measured, metered, and collected.
Discounting everything else, at least he has that going for him.

This. When you're in the pickle that Democrats are in, you have to choose your battles very carefully. We're getting a conservative judge whether anybody likes it or not. Save the good fight for when it has at least the possibility of making a tangible difference. And yes, Republicans were terrible with their opposition and obstruction of everything during Obama's last term, but they had the numbers to do it. Dems don't right now.

They didn't have the numbers for 2 years and successfully obstructed just fine under Obama. The filibuster numbers shot through the roof when Dems took the senate in 07-08. Furthermore, if they intend to nuke the filibuster, they'll do it whenever we use it. Now or in the future, it's all the same.

Surfinn

This might be thread worthy but I don't like creating political threads... Pretty big story out of CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/08/politics/gorsuch-trump-tweets/index.html?adkey=bn

While meeting with Democratic Senator Dick Blumenthal,

Confirmed by Gorsuch's communications coordinator as well.

Trump gonna be mad. Has a president ever withdrawn his supreme court nominee before hearings begin, for his own reasons?
That seems pretty big.

Frankly, nearly everyone's questioning sounds like that.
Except Cruz. His line of questioning was consistently effective.

Makonero

Maybe he means he'd run straight back to the office to get it overturned.

Jokes aside, this probably shook the evangelical base today.

Too bad they keep buying into the lie that republicans will actually overturn roe v wade

it's too good of a promise to keep since they will literally vote for satan if he promised to overturn it, so they can get away with anything and still have that voting base

It's entirely possible (And probably likely) that he's just saying what he believes he needs to say to get voted in. He knows the Democrats are likely going to vote against him and he's trying to come off as sane/moderate to show people he'd make a good pick and the Democrats are just obstructing if they vote against him.

Well he said he would have walked out on a meeting with Trump if Trump asked him to overturn Woe v. Wade.

Not sure what that means exactly.

https://www.facebook.com/CSPAN/videos/10155403654130579/

Because there's a broad expectation (in the modern era) that politicians who nominate judges don't do so with explicit outcomes in mind, as it's politically and legally safer.

His response was more about the hypothetical inappropriateness of such a question, rather than being an indication of his views on Roe v. Wade. Conservative think tanks and legal lobbying groups wouldn't support him if they felt he could potentially vote to overturn the ruling, anyway.

Surfinn

Trump just said "somebody said I shouldn't criticize judges.. Well I'm going to criticize judges" in reference to Gorsuch's comments

pigeon

Banned
I think the Democrats should work to rebuild comity and support any appropriate nominees that Trump puts forward.

Unfortunately, Neil Gorsuch raises serious character questions, since multiple sources have reported that he accepted a Supreme Court nomination from a white supremacist who colluded with a foreign power to undermine American sovereignty. I don't see how any Democrat could in good faith support such a nominee.

Durden77

I kinda hate to say it but I think I legitimately hate Ted Cruz even more than Trump. He just absolutely reeks of shit. Watching him chat it up with Gorsuch earlier made me want to vomit. If i wasn't the only thing on at work, I would have turned away. I seriously just can't stand to see him talk.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
This nominee will likely go through.

Might be the only one Trump gets if Dems take the Senate in 2018 and then grow a spine.

Matt

I think the Democrats should work to rebuild comity and support any appropriate nominees that Trump puts forward.

Unfortunately, Neil Gorsuch raises serious character questions, since multiple sources have reported that he accepted a Supreme Court nomination from a white supremacist who colluded with a foreign power to undermine American sovereignty. I don't see how any Democrat could in good faith support such a nominee.
I don't understand this post. "Democrats should support any appropriate nominees that Trump puts forward"...but anyone who would accept a nomination from Trump is inherently inappropriate?

Ac30

It's entirely possible (And probably likely) that he's just saying what he believes he needs to say to get voted in. He knows the Democrats are likely going to vote against him and he's trying to come off as sane/moderate to show people he'd make a good pick and the Democrats are just obstructing if they vote against him.

So what, obstruct. Let the republicans go crazy and nuke the filibuster on that, too. They stole Obama's pick, the democrats might as well steal theirs. I have no faith in Congress doing anything good anymore.

Harry Reid nuking the filibuster really bit the dems in the ass this year :/

pigeon

Banned
I don't understand this post. "Democrats should support any appropriate nominees that Trump puts forward"...but anyone who would accept a nomination from Trump is inherently inappropriate?

It seems like you understood it fine.

Matt

Unconvincing
The business of government needs to continue no matter who is President. We need judges, we need ambassadors, we need civil servants and US Marshals and everything else. These and other positions need to be nominated or appointed by the President.

Good people refusing to do a job that needs doing will just guarantee bad people fill those roles.

Gorsuch seems like a bit of an oddball, but it's impossible to argue that he's not a serious and qualified judge. I hope the majority of Dems vote for him.

pigeon

Banned
The business of government needs to continue no matter who is President. We need judges, we need ambassadors, we need civil servants and US Marshals and everything else. These and other positions need to be nominated or appointed by the President.

Good people refusing to do a job that needs doing will just guarantee bad people fill those roles.

It is not possible to be a good person in service to a bad executive. It will inevitably corrode your moral character as you get asked to undertake bad tasks.

In this particular case, happily, there is one excellent judge, popular with both parties, who would be able to accept the nomination with no moral animus attaching. That judge is Merrick Garland. I would wholeheartedly support his confirmation.

Matt

It is not possible to be a good person in service to a bad executive. It will inevitably corrode your moral character as you get asked to undertake bad tasks.

In this particular case, happily, there is one excellent judge, popular with both parties, who would be able to accept the nomination with no moral animus attaching. That judge is Merrick Garland. I would wholeheartedly support his confirmation.
Why would Garland not be stained by a Trump nomination?

And again, your entire line of thinking would leave the government unable to function.

pigeon

Banned
Why would Garland not be stained by a Trump nomination?

Because he's already got a perfectly good Supreme Court nomination.

And again, your entire line of thinking would leave the government unable to function.

Actually, the moral failure of the president and his administration, and their unwillingness to take care that the laws be faithfully executed, would leave the government unable to function. Your willingness to compromise with white supremacy to keep the trains running doesn't mean the problem is people who aren't willing to compromise.

Matt

Because he's already got a perfectly good Supreme Court nomination.

Actually, the moral failure of the president and his administration, and their unwillingness to take care that the laws be faithfully executed, would leave the government unable to function. Your willingness to compromise with white supremacy to keep the trains running doesn't mean the problem is people who aren't willing to compromise.
He's not still nominated. He would have to be nominated again, by Trump. He would be Trump's nominee for the Supreme Court, just like Gorsuch. Trump's choice for the office.

You're logic simply isn't sound.

And again, the rest of your argument is just idealism, not pragmatism. I want qualified people in government, I don't care if Trump nominates or appoints them. If they do something wrong in that office, or if they are actually unqualified, that's obviously another matter.

I'm not willing to let the country burn over pointless obstruction. I'm not a Republican.

Kaiterra

Banned
He's not still nominated. He would have to be nominated again, by Trump. He would be Trump's nominee for the Supreme Court, just like Gorsuch. Trump's choice for the office.

You're logic simply isn't sound.

And again, the rest of your argument is just idealism, not pragmatism. I want qualified people in government, I don't care if Trump nominates or appoints them. If they do something wrong in that office, that's obviously another matter.

I'm not willing to let the country burn over pointless obstruction. I'm not a Republican.

Refusing to vote for any Trump nominee is also a pragmatic choice. The GOP cannot be rewarded for blocking Garland or they will do it again and you will end up with a rigged system where only they can get judges on the court. Truly blocking Gorusch does not seem possible with the nuclear option on the table, but forcing them to use it, whatever the downsides that may entail, would at least guarantee a fair system going forward rather than perpetuating the double standard that would be established by confirming Gorusch.

Matt

Refusing to vote for any Trump nominee is also a pragmatic choice. The GOP cannot be rewarded for blocking Garland or they will do it again and you will end up with a rigged system where only they can get judges on the court. Truly blocking Gorusch does not seem possible with the nuclear option on the table, but forcing them to use it, whatever the downsides that may entail, would at least guarantee a fair system going forward rather than perpetuating the double standard that would be established by confirming Gorusch.
The GOP did something horribly wrong when they refused to vote on Garland. I'll never support doing the same thing out of spite.

This country needs its offices filled. That is more important than party politics. And I say this as someone who spent years working in national party politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom