• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch at 4.7 million | ARMS: 1.18 Million, Zelda: 3.92M, Mario Kart 3.54M

Maybe my math is off, but I'm still not seeing why they need to up production to meet their 10m.

4.7 from March to June (1.96 of it this quarter)
1.96m x 2 remaining quarters this calendar year = 3.92m
1.96 for Jan-March 2018 (end of fy)
Isn't that 10m+ just from keeping the current pace?

10 million does not include the initial launch month, as that was included in Q4 of the LAST financial year.

Enzo88

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a 92.7% attach rate in the Western markets. Also, if we include the Nintendo Wii U version the game has crossed the 5 million mar worldwide. These are some crazy stats.

Overseas

Nintendo Switch - 3.58 million

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 3.32 million (92.7% attach rate)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 2.85 million (79.6% attach rate)

Is this a record? Not sure if anything ever registered these numbers, other than bundled titles.

casiopao

My only concern with Mania is that it doesn't really have a retail presence (outside of the Collector's Edition). I don't know if it can hit a million downloads on the Switch.

Wait. It dont have retail presence? That is going to cost a lot of sales there. Nintendo fanbase is more retail savvy compared to digital here.

Mario/Rabbids I think is kind of an unknown factor, and it would be a mistake to assume it will do a million just because it has Mario on it.

For the last two, DQ Heroes didn't do great on Switch, and was a bad port on top of that, so FE Warriors is in a bit of rough water. Xenoblade Chronicles X hit around 104k before falling off the Media Create charts, and without a doubt Japan is the most Xeno-favourable market, so a million seems unlikely in my opinion.

I could have sworn I've read an interview with Takahashi saying the modern Xeno games do better in the West than in Japan

AniHawk

Will this encourage 3rd party developers who were pessimistic to the Switch?

i think most western developers are good where they are, as are japanese developers with a pretty heavy western lean, or at least have games with a very heavy western lean. japanese developers on the fence about going from psvita/ps4 to switch/ps4 should have already started the transition though, and any family game that was in planning is probably switch-bound for the western market.

OuterLimits

I wonder how Disgaea 5 did on the system. I know it bombed in Japan but hopefully did ok in the West. I'm enjoying it. Ended up buying that along with Zelda and Puyo Tetris when I bought the system 2 weeks ago. Haven't bought Mario Kart. I would think Puyo Puyo Tetris has done decent as well.

Maybe my math is off, but I'm still not seeing why they need to up production to meet their 10m.

4.7 from March to June (1.96 of it this quarter)
1.96m x 2 remaining quarters this calendar year = 3.92m
1.96 for Jan-March 2018 (end of fy)
Isn't that 10m+ just from keeping the current pace?

March is counted in the last fiscal year, so the Switch launch sales aren't included. This report is for the first three months of this fiscal year, from April to June.

Assuming the same sales in every quarter (1.96 million x 4) only gets you to 7.84 million. 2 million per quarter is a good pace for every quarter but the holiday one. Nintendo needs to get that to 4 million to reach targets, or make it up elsewhere.

If 1.96 million is their production ceiling, then they need to improve that, or they won't reach their target.

Yeah this.

In June. 150k for Japan and 250k for US right? Either way I'm not going to quibble about 50k. Sold about half the shipment at most.

150k was the launch week of ARMS in Japan, NPD is by the month. ARMS had about 2 more weeks of sales in Japan before the month ended.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, wait, I always forget that these are shipped numbers. So we don't know if ARMS broke 1 million sold yet. We know just that Nintendo and retailers were pretty optimistic about it.

Going by what we know from the sales threads I guess it was at around 6-700k for June worldwide.

ASIS

It's safe to say that ARMS is a success. I thought it would be nearing 1 million by the end of the year, so these numbers are a great relief.

What's the LTD outlook for it? is 2 million possible?

ARMS selling over a million this quickly is pretty damn impressive. It's a great game but I wasn't entirely convinced a fighting game, especially one in this style, could sell to over one fifth of the install base. Very well done!

Ombala

Nintendo players really like those Nintendo games.
What's the biggest third party game?
Is there any above 1mil?

March is counted in the last fiscal year. This report is for the first three months of this fiscal year, from April to June.

Assuming the same sales in every quarter (1.96 million x 4) only gets you to 7.84 million. 2 million per quarter is a good pace for every quarter but the holiday one. Nintendo needs to get that to 4 million to reach targets, or make it up elsewhere.

If 1.96 million is their production ceiling, then they need to improve that, or they won't reach their target.

Yup, you're on the ball.

Definitely need to up production. I see now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
150k was the launch week of ARMS in Japan, NPD is by the month. ARMS had about 2 more weeks of sales in Japan before the month ended.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

07./03. [NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} (¥5.980) - 8.642 / 170.003

Probably add another 8k for last week.

ARMS selling over a million this quickly is pretty damn impressive. It's a great game but I wasn't entirely convinced a fighting game, especially one in this style, could sell to over one fifth of the install base. Very well done!
It's shipped. Probably not at a million yet

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah this.

In June. 150k for Japan and 250k for US right? Either way I'm not going to quibble about 50k. Sold about half the shipment at most WW is the point.

Nintendo making that stupid money.

iHDUaMD.png
It shipped 230k to Japan that quarter. It's sold. 187k As of last week (Famitsu includes download cards) which does not include all of the digital sales like the former does.

Unless the rest of the world has widely different tracking between shipped and sold there's a good bet it'll outsell that shipment not too long.

It Shipped 230k to Japan that quarter. It's sold. 187k As of last week (Famitsu includes download cards) which does not include all of the digital sales like the former does.

Unless the rest of the world has widely different tracking between shipped and sold thwe's a good bet it'll outsell that shipment not too long.

rVqhgLJ.png

Unless, I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It Shipped 230k to Japan that quarter. It's sold. 187k As of last week (Famitsu includes download cards) which does not include all of the digital sales like the former does.

Unless the rest of the world has widely different tracking between shipped and sold thwe's a good bet it'll outsell that shipment not too long.

187k includes download cards, doesn't it?

Does Nintendo include download cards in their shipment numbers?

Edit: answered above.

Edit: you're comparing shipped at end of June with sold mid July.

MTC100

Banned
I wonder how Disgaea 5 did on the system. I know it bombed in Japan but hopefully did ok in the West. I'm enjoying it. Ended up buying that along with Zelda and Puyo Tetris when I bought the system 2 weeks ago. Haven't bought Mario Kart. I would think Puyo Puyo Tetris has done decent as well.

From what I've seen it did pretty well, better than the PS4 version in the same amount of time at least.

For reference, do we know what the WiiU was at numbers wise at this point in its lifespan? I just think it'd be fun to see the gap. Hell it'd be neat to see it up against Wii too.

Tron 2.0

Anecdotally, I believe Switch stock has begun to increase (slightly) over the past two weeks, and Nintendo has previously stated that they anticipate better supply heading into the Fall, so it's clear they have a plan to at least hit 10 million for the fiscal year. Maybe not much beyond that.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

07./03. [NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} (¥5.980) - 8.642 / 170.003

Probably add another 8k for last week.

Yeah this. Thanks for looking up the exact figure. Still think with the numbers we have it sold through probably around 550k of that 1.2 million shipped. Don't see the ROW doing much more than 200k when we didn't see it chart much anywhere else.

z0m3le

Banned
The 2nd paragraph wont hold up for most part tbh.
Portables always had the sports games, not sure how well they did. About the others, were talking ps360 quality games. Id agree if the switch was getting ac origins or battlefront with lowered visuals but right now its not really much of a choice. Paying full price for skyrim or Xenoverse just feels absurd to me. But for someone who hasn't played either, maybe it sounds better?
We really cant judge until they start launching games simultaneously.

The 2nd paragraph is entirely true, gamers having a real reason to buy the Switch version of a title over the other platforms is simply a fact, and only requires 3rd parties to be brave enough to release multiplats on Switch, this is not talking about current slate of titles announced, but future ones. We will start to see these multiplat titles next year, mostly thanks to development times and Switch devkits and success happening after production of current multiplat games have begun production.

Games that release in late 2018 and 2019 have a much better chance of coming to Switch than games coming the next 12 months, simply because Switch devkits have only been widely available for the past 12 months, and 2 years is pretty much the minimum time required for a development cycle in today's industry.

As for anything that can be inferred about the performance of the Switch, it has better performance than almost any Intel integrated GPU (minus the HD580 found in the skull canyon chip) These GPUs play current gen games and will likely run battlefront as well, it really comes down to resources and timing with the Switch, but if Switch maintains it's success, we will see 3rd party AAA multiplats make their way to the system.

Top Bottom