• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two Q1 FY2012 Results ($8.6M Loss, Borderlands = 4.5M, RDR+UN = 11M, NBA = 5.5M)

StevieP

Banned
Takao said:
I don't think they shipped any new PSP or PS2 games last quarter and both are above Wii, lol.

How many GTA titles with large investment did they put out on Wii?

Maybe if they would stop making terrible ports of games and release them months after everyone has already played them on consoles, they'd sell more pc games.

Much as with the Wii, if you don't put effort into your product you won't get returns. It's simple, people.

inky said:
There's no way GTA V even gets a mention when they have Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinte for FY 13.

I know it's been explained before but it baffles me that T2 releases such massive games and still makes very little profit if any at all.

I guess that's why they're always rumored to being bought out.

Takao

Banned
StevieP said:
How many GTA titles with large investment did they put out on Wii?

But those were years ago. They haven't released anything notable in ages, and I doubt the PSP and PS2 skus are pushing NBA, and MLB sales.

Forget the new DLC or skins or whatever, where's my RDR PC port! I want to play this game with all the bells and whistles (see what I did there).

boingball

Takao said:
I don't think they shipped any new PSP or PS2 games last quarter and both are above Wii, lol.

Yes PSP + PS2 is double the amount of Wii + DS (incl I assume 3DS)...

Their schedule of upcoming games is a little bit depressing. Seems like they are betting on Kinect.

Mr_Brit

Banned
I think people need to take into account sales prices as well as sales numbers as both are equally important. e.g. take Borderlands, it shipped 4.5 million copies but if most of those were at a low price it won't have generated anywhere near as much as you might expect.

Kifimbo

Mr_Brit said:
I think people need to take into account sales prices as well as sales numbers as both are equally important. e.g. take Borderlands, it shipped 4.5 million copies but if most of those were at a low price it won't have generated anywhere near as much as you might expect.

It sold 2 millions two months after the game was released. It sold 3 millions by February 2010, about 5-6 months after launch. I would say most of these 3 millions were full price purchases. For a new franchise, it'pretty damn good.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
zoner said:
You know. Quality titles for selective gamers.
Based on the above numbers we should be rooting for those cheap to make a profit and be successful.

Take Two is pretty unique with spending so much time to generate content for games that sells less than FIFA every year, but are critically acclaimed.

I doubt GTA would continue the way it does when a different publisher had to foot the bill.

I think Rockstar North may be making Agent instead of GTA V going by Sony saying Agent was no longer exclusive. Why change the platform or associated first-party if you're not making it?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Kifimbo said:
It sold 2 millions two months after the game was released. It sold 3 millions by February 2010, about 5-6 months after launch. I would say most of these 3 millions were full price purchases. For a new franchise, it'pretty damn good.
I was just using Borderlands as an example, I had no idea how many of its units were sold near launch. Point still stands though, selling price is equally important to copies sold.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I think Rockstar North may be making Agent instead of GTA V going by Sony saying Agent was no longer exclusive. Why change the platform or associated first-party if you're not making it?
Agent is GTA V. GTA V is Agent.

Pooya

too late for RDR PC, it would have been announced by now if it was coming and LA Noire is later this year, not happening.

Zen

Banned
inky said:
There's no way GTA V even gets a mention when they have Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinte for FY 13.

I know it's been explained before but it baffles me that T2 releases such massive games and still makes very little profit if any at all.

Yeah it's pretty weird, they're sort of like a super Capcom in that Way. Capcom seems to make barely any money relative to the sales they pull in.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mr_Brit said:
I was just using Borderlands as an example, I had no idea how many of its units were sold near launch. Point still stands though, selling price is equally important to copies sold.
For sure, this was EA's problem as well.

The notable thing about copies sold though is that if you sell a bunch of copies at a low price, many of those people might buy the sequel at a higher price, especially with core games.

It ends up being a strategy to build for the future, but in order to do it correctly, your sequel needs to be really good.

BioShock 2 is a great example of how not to do this, since they amazingly managed to go down quite a bit, but I suspect BioShock Infinite will go up a lot from 4.5 million.

dLMN8R

Is it just me, or are others tremendously impressed that the PC skated by with 7% of their total revenue having been made up of just the Duke Nukem and some Civ V DLC releases?

okenny

Banned
Interesting that 360 sales lost percentage in North America to PS3 from 2010 to 2011 but the worldwide sales have increased on the 360 from 2010 to 2011. Does this mean that Europe is buying more 360s? Did the PSN hack have an impact?

It's pretty amazing for comapnies to be able to sell that many games and still lose that much money.

okenny said:
Interesting that 360 sales lost percentage in North America to PS3 from 2010 to 2011 but the worldwide sales have increased on the 360 from 2010 to 2011. Does this mean that Europe is buying more 360s? Did the PSN hack have an impact?

It doesn't specify that does it? It simply says that North America lost a small percantage. The 360 may just be making up a lager percentage of the North American market.

Nappuccino said:
Maybe if they would stop making terrible ports of games and release them months after everyone has already played them on consoles, they'd sell more pc games.

I certainly would have gotten a PC version of LA and Red dead if they were released along side consoles but I've lost all interest in them now.

okenny

Banned
Striek said:
Been waiting on this personally.

So have I but Seeing that the retail game is still fetching $30 to $45 at retail (new) I don't know if they're willing to pack in the DLCs and re-release it at $40 :(

When was the last time they actually released a Wii game? New Carnival Games back last year I believe!

You can't make any money on a console if you don't actually release anything!

The fact that they actually lost money, despite the massive list of successful franchises is downright terrifying!

Pooya

this I think makes gta for next fiscal year quite likely, they were hinting at significant announcement later in the year during the call.

http://www.gtanet.com/news/single.php?id=4429
Statements included that they have some unannounced titles for release during the next fiscal year that we will hear about in the "coming months". A particular statement, repeated from the last financial report, was that they expect to exceed a net income of $2 per share in fiscal year 2013 (April 2012 – March 2013).

To put these numbers in perspective, the last time T2 did reach such an income is during the release of Grand Theft Auto IV, in which they recorded $2.08 per share. In comparison, income reached $1.06 per share during the release of Red Dead Redemption and is projected to reach up to $0.35 for the current fiscal year, where LA Noire and Duke Nukem Forever have been their main new titles.

DeadTrees

dLMN8R said:
Is it just me, or are others tremendously impressed that the PC skated by with 7% of their total revenue having been made up of just the Duke Nukem and some Civ V DLC releases?
It's just you.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
When was Darkness II delayed? Fuck.

Rhindle

miladesn said:
this I think makes gta for next fiscal year quite likely, they were hinting at significant announcement later in the year during the call.

http://www.gtanet.com/news/single.php?id=4429
GTA5 next year is a lock. Not that we didn't know that already.

Nuclear Muffin said:
The fact that they actually lost money, despite the massive list of successful franchises is downright terrifying!
Not really. That's just the way Take Two is. They make massive bank whenever a GTA game is released, and just barely scrape by the rest of the time. Last year, they got lucky with RDR.

Rhindle said:
GTA5 next year is a lock. Not that we didn't know that already.

Not really. That's just the way Take Two is. They make massive bank whenever a GTA game is released, and just barely scrape by the rest of the time. Last year, they got lucky with RDR.

No I do know what usually happens with them, I just still find the concept absolutely terrifying!

And then you have people going around praising the MS and Sony platforms, when their ridiculous development budgetary requirements are causing this mess in the first place.

Shiggy said:
What does this mean for Agent?

When was the last time we heard anything about it?

Zizbuka

Banned
Where does T2 stand as far as publishers/devs? Anyone know a web site that ranks each? Would be interesting.

Pooya

Zizbuka said:
Where does T2 stand as far as publishers/devs? Anyone know a web site that ranks each? Would be interesting.
this is their market share in 2010 in Europe (slide released by Capcom), no data for US, I don't have anything more recent :S

capture2qf31.png

Onion_Relish said:
wow, look at that platform disparity. No wonder people aren't in a big rush to make PC ports.
They have hardly released anything on the PC these days. The 7% revenue for the PC was the result of Duke Nukem (a game that received horrible reviews) and two bits of crappy DLC. So no I don't find it shocking that Take Two don't make much money off the PC platform.

If anything it is pretty impressive that just 1 game and 2 bits of crappy DLC for the PC accounts for nearly 10% of their revenue. Now just imagine how much revenue the PC would bring in if Take Two actually supported the PC to the same level as the consoles. It isn't a stretch to say that had they released RDR and LA Noire on the PC at an appropriate time this $8.6 million dollar loss could have been avoided and they could've actually turned a profit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zizbuka said:
Generally the biggest publishers on the HD platforms (in the West) are EA, Activision, Ubisoft, (Platform Holder), and Take-Two.

EA is a bigger console publisher than Activision, but when we include the PC, Activision is bigger overall.

Ubisoft is third, and Take-Two is normally fourth, though sometimes Microsoft and/or Sony can be larger.

After that, it's usually the larger Japanese publishers and smaller Western publishers like THQ and Warner vying for positions 6-15.

Edit:

Actually, Mila's chart does a great job showing this. Nintendo's market share continues to shrink though currently, so Ubisoft is a much more solid third.

Massa

Nirolak said:
For sure, this was EA's problem as well.

The notable thing about copies sold though is that if you sell a bunch of copies at a low price, many of those people might buy the sequel at a higher price, especially with core games.

It ends up being a strategy to build for the future, but in order to do it correctly, your sequel needs to be really good.

BioShock 2 is a great example of how not to do this, since they amazingly managed to go down quite a bit, but I suspect BioShock Infinite will go up a lot from 4.5 million.

It should be noted Bioshock Infinite has been in development since before the studio that made Bioshock 2 even existed. They put together a team and a game before Irrational was even ready to announce Infinite to the world.

I doubt it will be more profitable.

Nuclear Muffin said:
No I do know what usually happens with them, I just still find the concept absolutely terrifying!

And then you have people going around praising the MS and Sony platforms, when their ridiculous development budgetary requirements are causing this mess in the first place.

Poor development practices are the root of their problem, not the platforms they're making games on. Mostly the entire software industry except the games industry understands that overworking your employees is bad for productivity and actually puts you even further behind schedule.

Top Bottom