• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEH FIANAL LOVDOWN. shufflemoveto the infooplace!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I wonder... remember that woman who worked for OnLive (?) saying a long time ago that one of the next gen consoles wouldn't be a console at all?

We all shrugged it off at the time as someone just pushing their business/model, but if these rumours are true it does sound like MS could be pushing xbone purely as a STB front for a service platform.

Looked at from that perspective, it actually makes a lot more sense that they'd be pushing the media stuff front and centre because that's the "value" aspect of the hardware; everything else is actually within the umbrella of Xbox Live to some degree - and so the rest of the proposition -basically 90% of the gaming functionally- is all about justifying the service plan price.

DaBuddaDa

arrogance

they've been on top for the last couple years, but have forgotten that they actually didn't sell the most machines last gen.

A little of that, but moreso a whole lot of recklessly chasing the magical walled garden ecosystem of Apple but for the entire living room and dragging gaming through the mud as a means to that end.

MogCakes

I wonder... remember that woman who worked for OnLive (?) saying a long time ago that one of the next gen consoles wouldn't be a console at all?

We all shrugged it off at the time as someone just pushing their business/model, but if these rumours are true it does sound like MS could be pushing xbone purely as a STB front for a service platform.

Looked at from that perspective, it actually makes a lot more sense that they'd be pushing the media stuff front and centre because that's the "value" aspect of the hardware; everything else is actually within the umbrella of Xbox Live to some degree - and so the rest of the proposition -basically 90% of the gaming functionally- is all about justifying the service plan price.

So essentially, this has been the end goal of Microsoft for years.

That makes a lot of sense.

Basically a cable box that happens to play games and not the other way around. Much easier to sell to common people like that.

ascii42

That makes a lot of sense.

Basically a cable box that happens to play games and not the other way around. Much easier to sell to common people like that.

That would make a lot more sense if the One did in fact replace the cable box rather than just connect to it.

Jarmel

Banned
I've only heard this from one person but think about if MS merged the concept of PS+ with XBLG and applied it to your games

Well fuck. No way in hell this flies in the EU. Good god, I was wiliing to roll with the DRM to an extent but this is really fucking pushing it.

mjontrix

Basically, they will probably offer discounted (or earlier access) XBone games via DD, with an added discount if you're a Gold member... BUT if you lose Gold subscription you won't be able to play/use the game until you renew.

MY GOD, it would be so evil that it just might work - especially the kids who make their parents who give them their CCs to use to their accounts.

As requested earlier -

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The bit about cheaper prices...we've seen prices on Amazon.fr being the same as last gen / 5€ higher for EA, and before they were 99€. This means they received more infos about retail prices. Could this mean that buying retail titles cost the same as last gen, besides the whole DRM clusterfuck AND the required Gold subscription...while digital SKUs would be a little cheaper (10-15) due to not go against retailers? Given the infos we've had, it's the only possible explanation.

mjontrix

Wait... you need a Xbox live gold account to play games???

Wut?

No, we don't know yet.

But some (including me) suspect that it involves buying games via Digital download at a discount... through a Gold subscription and losing access to said games if you don't renew said Gold subscription

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Considering the whole SimCity debacle, where they promised the same thing (cloud is needed to perform complex calculations your computer just couldn't handle) which turned out to be a complete lie, it was just about DRM, I'm surprised so many people think the cloud power is real

Because no one can actually see the cloud. Makes it easier to bullshit about it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
ascii42 said:
That would make a lot more sense if the One did in fact replace the cable box rather than just connect to it.

Well, if you consider their stated aim is to offer unique TV programming (Halo the series etc.) this is just the first step. Kinect/xbone offers functionality that augments any extent service provider while they build up their own IPTV and VoD offerings within XBL.

This would explain why despite them courting Sky, they got cold feet.

It's overwhelmingly ambitious, and frankly a bit scary, but if you see their end-goal as becoming the dominant entertainment provider both in terms of hardware (xbone) and distribution platform (xbl) everything suddenly makes sense.

Fucking hell.

hesido

No gold, no games? Oh Wow Microfuckingsoft congratulations for turning fans 180° against you in a week.

Makes me sad that games like Forza and Gears are tied to this POS.

What a clusterfuck if all turns out true.

I first thought that MS can't be stupid enough to do this "No gold no games" thing. I'm still leaning to the "No way they can't" side, but still, when I think about, it's not that far fetched.

I think Microsoft is depending on their RROD experience and this phenomenon :
You have 20 games in your game library. You get a RROD and you're out of warranty. You are between a rock and a hard place: You gamer identity is on XBlive and you already have 8 more months of membership, you have 500 worth of games: you can either go to PS and start over, or just buy another Xbox for 300usd. And people went through multiple Xboxes because of this, but you don't make much by selling hardware, however Xbox Live is mostly profit, which leads us to the following:

What they may try to do this time is, go for a more durable hardware that won't break but with ridiculously low price, lure people into their pit. It will be easy, people won't calculate how much more money they'll have to shell for all those following years.

This way, instead of selling people multiple boxes with very little profit, they can sell memberships with great profit, people would have to return to them due to sunk cost fallacy.

DC1

Paste the link where this is confirmed - or are we just going off rumours again and taking them as gospel?

Be easy man- Consider the thread that we are in and some of the comments, rumor confirmations or nuances litter throughout.

I was simply providing a possible scenario regarding the PSPluse+Gold association (The origin can be found 10-15 pages back) - and adding clarity to what that might be for Pandemic.

Micerider

Well fuck. No way in hell this flies in the EU. Good god, I was wiliing to roll with the DRM to an extent but this is really fucking pushing it.

It would work in the EU if sold as a service entirely. I'm not for it, but they might have found a way to get away with it.

XBOX would basicaly become a subscription service with a "pay per use" approach for new releases. Think TV providers with "on demand" items charged on top.

Bleh...would be my reaction if they confirm that...but I could see it working on a marketing perspective with the right pricing.

jaosobno

Nobody checking their emailztodayz.

dawson-crying1.gif

Do people really believe it will sell no matter what? Gamers have proven they don't fall for bullshit plenty of times. There's not enough misinformed moms in the world to save this disaster. Social media will eat this system alive (already is). If everything said comes to light and there's more horror stories to come. I'll be willing to bet X1 will not sell out at launch.

Internet required, complicated used game system, limited borrowing, no renting, and now possibly XBLG required to play your games? There's not enough spin to save this system. It's DOA.

mjontrix

I first thought that MS can't be stupid enough to do this "No gold no games" thing. I'm still leaning to the "No way they can't" side, but still, when I think about, it's not that far fetched.

I think Microsoft is depending on their RROD experience and this phenomenon :
You have 20 games in your game library. You get a RROD and you're out of warranty. You are between a rock and a hard place: You gamer identity is on XBlive and you already have 8 more months of membership, you have 500 worth of games: you can either go to PS and start over, or just buy another Xbox for 300usd. And people went through multiple Xboxes because of this, but you don't make much by selling hardware, however Xbox Live is mostly profit, which leads us to the following:

What they may try to do this time is, go for a more durable hardware that won't break but with ridiculously low price, lure people into their pit. It will be easy, people won't calculate how much more money they'll have to shell for all those following years.

This way, instead of selling people multiple boxes with very little profit, they can sell memberships with great profit, people would have to return to them due to sunk cost fallacy.

DING DING DING we're onto something here! I think you're absolutely right. This will truly be the greatest fight we gamers will ever be involved in.

Do people really believe it will sell no matter what? Gamers have proven they don't fall for bullshit plenty of times. There's not enough misinformed moms in the world to save this disaster. Social media will eat this system alive (already is). If everything said comes to light and there's more horror stories to come. I'll be willing to bet X1 will not sell out at launch.

Internet required, complicated used game system, limited borrowing, no renting, and now possibly XBLG required to play your games? There's not enough spin to save this system. It's DOA.

The yield issues then play into their hands perfectly - intentionally create a shortage to create the impression that the console is popular - promote on Morning TV to stay-at-home moms with no discipline over their kids and get pressured to buy an XBone because "CALL OF DUTY MOM NAOOOOOOOOOOO!"!!!. Then having all the games binded to the profile will result in said child being forced to stick with said console since all the games and DLC (and ranks and achievements) all on the XBone and can't be transferred to PS4.

I'm going to go postal on the first guy who posts a 'take my money' image if they announce subscription based games like this...

Make sure to send me their details - I'll join in :)

A bit offtopic but - does anyone think that Microsoft will also have subscription channels via their Xbox one as well - replacing current cable companies? I'm guessing offering Netflix, Hulu, NBA/NFL/NBA etc. through the XBone - essentially a glorified Roku?

If so then EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE! The roku tried to include games (Angry Birds), WDTV Live Game (or whatever its called) also did - so maybe this is the actual endgame plan of Microsoft...

Feorax

At this point, I think I'm beyond caring about any more bad news on MS side. I'd rather hear good news for a console I actually will buy.

bebop242

in what instance did gamers prove they don't fall for bullshit?

If the Xbox Live gold subscription to play your library at all is true, then I fully expect to hear that Microsoft's E3 show came complete with the screams of tortured souls for audio and hellfire for lighting.

jjasper

Wow at this news. It's like MS want to punish gamers. Why?!
Because they have found a subset of the population that they can exploit the hell out of. And they have probably found that exploiting that group will get them a higher profit than appealing to everyone.

I believe the trading and stuff will be gold restricted but I refuse to believe gold is going to be required like some are saying here.

DC1

Make sure to send me their details - I'll join in :)

A bit offtopic but - does anyone think that Microsoft will also have subscription channels via their Xbox one as well - replacing current cable companies? I'm guessing offering Netflix, Hulu, NBA/NFL/NBA etc. through the XBone - essentially a glorified Roku?

If so then EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE! The roku tried to include games (Angry Birds), WDTV Live Game (or whatever its called) also did - so maybe this is the actual endgame plan of Microsoft...

Yep, I do believe this is part of the end game. And I can't blame them.
It is very hard to get into the nation wide cable services game (regardless of how many billions are in play). The payoff however, would be astronomical!!

Mael

You people (gaming population) went through multiple x360 already, you've shown that they could sell you crap and you would ask for more.
Seriously at this point I don't feel sorry for the poor saps that are getting xbone come next fall.

Syf

Banned
I don't want to believe that Microsoft could be so dumb as to require a gold subscription to play games.. but at this point I wouldn't be surprised either. They've already demonstrated how out of touch with gamers they are.

You people (gaming population) went through multiple x360 already, you've shown that they could sell you crap and you would ask for more.
Seriously at this point I don't feel sorry for the poor saps that are getting xbone come next fall.

You should feel sorry for the clerks at the stores when they get lots of refund petitions.

Row

Banned
So essentially, this has been the end goal of Microsoft for years.

Of course

The revenue they generate from gaming is a joke compared to their operating systems and productivity software, the reason they bother is the potential to someday reach the point where they have a huge amount of control over several entertainment outlets and can finally reap the rewards

quest

Not Banned from OT
Putting gaming behind a pay wall actually makes sense. They dropped the subsidized model and we seen the leaked document were they want a 299.99 price point. Well instead of 1 model that is subsidized they make every Xbone subsidized and launch at 299.99. If they can put Netflix behind a pay wall why not gaming. Got to pay the 400 million for the NFL some how and get people to gold and that be perfect.

a new gen is a clean slate. i recall many saying a 599 ps3 would sell out because the sony brand was too strong. xbone could suffer the same fate after more and more get wind of the toxic bs that courses through the system.

Robbok

Year by Year i´m happily looking forward to E3. I always enjoyed watching the Press Conferences with tons of snacks deep into the Night. There were always lies (such as fake Trailers or that crazy Milo thing) but i still enjoyed it.
But this Year....
It has more of a conspiracy thriller, and I´m afraid if there will be a Happy End.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom