• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution PS3 Excusive Free To Play 6/11/13

Nozem

I haven't played Tekken since Tekken 3. But I still remember the button combination for Ling Xiaoyu's 10 hit combo, would that still work?

tranciful

That's the thing tho. What if you don't have a favorite character yet? You NEED to try out the characters for free. That's just mandatory. A fighting game rises and falls with its characters and how much you personally like them.

You could say the same thing about MOBAs and they're all F2P lol

SUPARSTARX

What is appliable in a real pay2win situation in a free fighting game? Can't figure out how to beat a character, that person bought the character to win?

I wonder if this was the "unannounced fighting game" that Harada was supposed to present at E3?

Probably not. Interested in seeing more of it though.
I'd think it is, but I don't get it. Mainly because:
This seems very strange to me. TT2 isn't even a year old and they're already coming out with a new F2P Tekken? Seems a bit early in my opinion. That being said, I'm looking forward to this.

That. TTT2 was a September release and then this comes out next PSN update. Part of me is hoping that this is like what's happening with DoA Ultimate (free demo-like game with 4 characters/pay for more that works with the full version of Ultimate), but I'm not sure.

Thought something was fishy when Harada mentioned he had just finished up on the master edition of something in his tweet a few days ago... guess this was it.

Dahbomb

Guy guy... listen here...

What is the Capcom big announcement is SF4:AE 2013 being free to play?

OMG DAH MEGATON!

That's the thing tho. What if you don't have a favorite character yet? You NEED to try out the characters for free. That's just mandatory. A fighting game rises and falls with its characters and how much you personally like them.
Wrong, this game is not for you if you don't already have a set of characters in mind that you main.

If trying out the game and characters is your thing then buy one of the countless other versions of Tekken. This is for veteran players.

Manbig

I won't mind pay per character much if it gives you access to every character in the training mode. Best case scenario I hope for though is the whole roster is free, but they just release a fuckload of customization options on a semi frequent basis as microtransactions.

Makoto

Wrong, this game is not for you if you don't already have a set of characters in mind that you main.

If trying out the game and characters is your thing then buy one of the countless other versions of Tekken. This is for veteran players.
Label me crazy, but I don't think this is Namco's intention.

tranciful

No you can't. I'm not sure if you know how FGs are played on a dedicated level.

...are you suggesting MOBAs aren't competitive? Or that the character selection is inconsequential? Because you'd be incredibly wrong. Both genres are extremely competitive and obviously very character-centric -- different characters suit very different playstyles and you explore all the characters to find which one fits with you personally. I've been more involved in the FG scene than the MOBA scene, but the similarities are obvious.

MOBA grew up on PC with more forward thinking business models while fighting games have stuck on traditional consoles with traditional business models. It doesn't surprise me, at all, to see traditional genres exploring new business models.

Zukuu

Banned

If it's for veteran players it wouldn't need to be f2p. A f2p model is practically a guarantor to bring in new players. Don't limit your persception to existing f2p business models. You can't just copy and paste them on a FG. There are other approaches that work and haven't been done before. (Btw, I started playing tekken in 1996 and mained Paul ever since. ;))

Dahbomb

I really doubt this is for veteran players... Veteran players already have the full TTT2 game.

Its unrealistic to expect someone to try out a game and character for 60 bucks just to see if they like it.

Label me crazy, but I don't think this Namco's intention.

Judging by the timing of the release I think it's safe to say this version is meant to compliment TTTT. They're not going to make a free game their end-all-be-all iteration, that makes no sense.

GrayFoxPL

I won't mind pay per character much if it gives you access to every character in the training mode. Best case scenario I hope for though is the whole roster is free, but they just release a fuckload of customization options on a semi frequent basis as microtransactions.

I doubt all characters available in training. If it has new balance it'll suck to learn, but that's f2p to ya.

Horseress

Again, they didn't said what's the F2P model they'll adopt. Let's wait and not jump to conclusions.

Zukuu

Banned
...are you suggesting MOBAs aren't competitive? Or that the character selection is inconsequential? Because you'd be incredibly wrong. Both genres are extremely competitive and obvious very character-centric -- different characters suit very different playstyles and you explore all the characters to find which one fits with you personally. I've been more involved in the FG scene than the MOBA scene, but the similarities are obvious.

No I don't. I'm just saying MOBA and FGs have nothing in common and can't be compared. Let alone due to the team approach. MOBAs aren't even close to character focused in comparison to a FG (at least not in a player sense). The sole fact that you need 16 characters to even start ranked shows that, where as you literally MAIN one or two characters in a FG.

Horseress

What else would it be? It's clear that this is a response to DoA5 going F2P. They're going to charge for characters in some way.

TTT2 has 59 characters IIRC, DOA has a way smaller cast, so they can make more characters avaliable for a weekly rotation, like LoL. 10 would be fine

GrayFoxPL

What else would it be? It's clear that this is a response to DoA5 going F2P. They're going to charge for characters in some way.

You really think they put this game together in a few days after doa f2p reveal and got it ready to be out in the next few days?

You really think this is how development works?

RedAssedApe

Banned
sounds like DOA. base game with a couple of characters...everything else microtransactions to get new characters and stages?

You really think they put this game together in a few days after doa f2p reveal and got it ready to be out in the next few days?

You really think this is how development works?
You really think they didn't know ahead of time?

Seeing as this will be a digital release, on one platform, I doubt it took much work to strip down the TTTT foundation.

tranciful

No I don't. I'm just saying MOBA and FGs have nothing in common and can't be compared. Let alone due to the team approach. MOBAs aren't even close to character focused in comparison to a FG (at least not in a player sense). The sole fact that you need 16 characters to even start ranked shows that, where as you literally MAIN one or two characters in a FG.

People have mains in mobas. You coordinate teams not entirely unlike when you have teams in FG tournies (or are playing a tag type game) -- part of team composition is to fill in the matchup gaps.

The 16 character requirement is
-not universal to MOBAs
-designed to keep unskilled players out of ranked matches (you can unlock players through currency earned through gameplay, so this requirement helps ensure you've invested a certain amount of time into the game)

Top fighting game players are going to be competent in every character because it's part of learning the matchups. MOBAs are the same here too. In MOBAs, you have "the best CharacterExampleA players" just like in fighting games.

I mean for a free to play fighting game.
Limiting the base to 4 characters = demo mode imo. That's just not how fighting games work.

I think that there are some quirks that can be worked out, but I think it can still work. I'd say the main thing that they should do is make every character available in training mode so that you can see which one you like. Sort of like how you can test drive a car in a racing game before you purchase it.

ash_ag

Plus, "veteran" is not a thing to laugh at in a franchise like Tekken. Who hasn't played one entry of the series? Even one entry is enough to create a taste for the game and decide on a few favourite characters.

And for what it's worth, even people who haven't touched the series in a while (or ever) can still cope with the system. The internet is full of gameplay videos; choosing a character to purchase doesn't have to be a blind decision. Not to mention that online matches should be enough to be acquired with a character's style. And nothing says you're limited to one purchase. The game is freemium -- it's up to you to decide how much you want to spend on it.

Obviously the requirements for a good F2P model for a FG (and in general) are

The ability to get all game content by playing the game/in game currency/nothing that 100% requires real money

All characters in training mode (probably no 2P control in training to avoid exploiting this)

If the game does these two things, F2P is the logical future of fighting games.

If Namco didn't screw this it actually might be a great idea. but I don't understand why it's a PS3 only thing though, there is a F2P game on the 360.

Top Bottom