• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tequila Works reaquired the rights to RiME

Tequila's PR man is saying that they are having a good laugh with this thread in their Whatsapp group. Instead of laughing you could shed some light so people don't spread "misinformation", don't you think?

Well they can just go fuck themselves then. Was looking forward to this game since it was announced. They are either fools, incompetent, or in such a bad situation that they have to laugh at this whole thing. They need a new PR person to actually shed some light on if a game is coming.

Axass

This is "how to squander all your goodwill 101", seriously.

People loved the game having not seen one second of actual gameplay and with just like 5 minutes total of footage ever. Now, they've got nothing to show after 3 years and laughing at "misconceptions" yet still showing nothing.

Good job guys.

FelipeMGM

I think you guys are taking this out of hand.

They are laughing at the misconception in this thread, at least from their perspective. I'm sure they have their side of the story and see it differently. No need to say the PR guy needs to lose his job

Never said that he needs to lose his job, I would never say that to anyone actually.

I am very disappointed with their line of work on this matter though. They are proudly shouting they own the IP now, so they dont have to answer to no publisher anymore I guess. Why not be open about what is happening and actually show you care about the people interested on your work? Being shady and snarky on the subject is not good PR at all, especially with the people who used to be you big supporters.

5taquitos

I think you guys are taking this out of hand.

They are laughing at the misconception in this thread, at least from their perspective. I'm sure they have their side of the story and see it differently. No need to say the PR guy needs to lose his job

If they're laughing at the misconception, maybe they should do something about that misconception? I can't imagine it's funny that people think negatively of your company and your product.

Sydle

That's too bad. Hopefully the devs pull through.

Isn't it unusual for Sony to show concept videos at their conferences? I don't remember the last time they did that.

This is "how to squander all your goodwill 101", seriously.

People loved the game having not seen one second of actual gameplay and with just like 5 minutes total of footage ever. Now, they've got nothing to show after 3 years and laughing at "misconceptions" yet still showing nothing.

Good job guys.

Has Sony been keeping them afloat since its (RiME's) inception? I'd doubt they'd have much capital themselves having released one XBLA game.. Doesn't seem like a laughing matter to me but oh well.

Harlequin

Sony was clearly in the know here guys. Specifically showing footage to pass off as gameplay on a game show and not specifying so is not kosher. They founded the damn game and bought the ip rights. I hate this type of deceit to customers. Its disrespectful. Im sure they hoped and expected a quality product, but this has been handled horribly by everyone involved.

Wait, did I miss something? Where has it been confirmed that those trailers were PR bullshit?

sublimit

Banned
I feel really bad for Tequila Works...this must be really tough for them.I hope they find a way to save the project because i still want to play this game.

I feel really bad for Tequila Works...this must be really tough for them.I hope they find a way to save the project because i still want to play this game.

Given that at least some of their budget was subsidized with public money from their government, they're going to have to produce something.

hal9001

Banned
All this info comes from a source very close to the studio.

First of all, I was told that the reveal trailer was all cinematic. It was faked to mimic gameplay, assets, etc. from a real game but 0% of the game was implemented.

So the real challenge for the studio was to put that vision into the final game. And apparently this has been impossible to achieve.

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"Sony required about one month ago the DEV KITs to be returned and canceled the fundings into Tequila Works, due of the game had no-sense. Basically there wasn't a game.

This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense). If you add that his wife is the chairman of Tequila Works and looking for info about her you can find this:

http://www.notariado.org/liferay/we...4233524_ELIG_NOT_PARAM_SITUACION=AC&FLAG=MAIL

You could see that she is public notary in Spain. She hasn't any background making games. The results are, that Rime has no publisher and it is not cancelled due of they got public spanish founds to develop games:

http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyu...nts/Listado_PropuestaProvisionalConcesion.pdf

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

I'm a bit sad to be honest since i was there in the first days of the studio (not working).

woah this is just sad.

MrHoot

A real damn shame if the source is to be believed. I was looking forward to a studio who would tackle the "Ico" approach but seems it might be all hot air. And with no footage at all since the reveal it doesn't make me confident in a possible other scenario.

Guess VANE will be my new lookout, with the last guardian.

Bsigg12

Where there's smoke there's fire. You could see something bad happening to this game from miles away when it kept not showing up at every Sony event and then that Spanish website that was talking about the disaster of a game. Just another game announced too soon.

element

This doesn't shock me. Deadlight was above average at best. I liked it because I'm a sucker for adventure sidescrollers, but it had flaws. Hearing that the video was all smoke and mirrors doesn't shock me as lots of developers do that, but typically have a white boxed version of their mechanics in place. Sounds like they couldn't get to that point. Also sounds like they were playing a little of "what's hot right now" game. Metroidvania games were all hot when Deadlight came out. But hearing that it was ICO with MOBA with something else just sounds like a mess.

Kaz42

Reading this and the pr guys laughing at this thread makes me not sad one bit. I am more happy that Sony stopped funding it.

That's the point I'm at too. But then again I wasn't nearly as hyped for this game as others were when it was shown so I'm not as emotionally invested in this game.

Fisty

This doesnt necessarily spell doom for Rime. Sony dropped LA Noire as well, and that one turned out pretty good. Maybe Tequila just needs a different partner to see this through, like how Rockstar stepped in on LA Noire

trikster40

I think they must have missed a lot of deadlines and Sony was done sinking money into something that just wasn't coming to light. First MA, now Sony...Rime may not see the light of day in its intended form.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

First of all, I was told that the reveal trailer was all cinematic. It was faked to mimic gameplay, assets, etc. from a real game but 0% of the game was implemented.

So the real challenge for the studio was to put that vision into the final game. And apparently this has been impossible to achieve.

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"Sony required about one month ago the DEV KITs to be returned and canceled the fundings into Tequila Works, due of the game had no-sense. Basically there wasn't a game.

This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense). If you add that his wife is the chairman of Tequila Works and looking for info about her you can find this:

http://www.notariado.org/liferay/we...4233524_ELIG_NOT_PARAM_SITUACION=AC&FLAG=MAIL

You could see that she is public notary in Spain. She hasn't any background making games. The results are, that Rime has no publisher and it is not cancelled due of they got public spanish founds to develop games:

http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyu...nts/Listado_PropuestaProvisionalConcesion.pdf

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

I'm a bit sad to be honest since i was there in the first days of the studio (not working).

Hah, good lord. Entirely faked up? Wow, Sony must be furious. What a sham scam studio. A shame too as the art all looked lovely.

For those looking for Ico-esque titles to migrate to, we now got:

Vane
(from actual ex-Team Ico peeps) http://www.friendandfoegames.com/vane/
boy_01.gif

Sea of Solitude http://seaofsolitude.com/
W2uNV9d.gif

All aboard!

Real shame but I know nothing about how Spain runs its public fund. But do they have to pay back the money? Because all this news gives me a 38 studios vibe.

Wonder if the Spanish public would be thrilled to learn that the government gave free money to a studio with vapor ware when there are other citizens in need.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam.

Oh boy. No wonder. I think after Castlevania 2, it's clear that any part of the management team was incompetent and way over their heads with their supposed knowledge of videogame development.

Well, it's a shame, it looked fantastic. But then again it was all a show, so damn.

EDIT: Also, I'm glad they're that relaxed that they're laughing about this. I'd be terrified to be working under such management and with public funds. If it gets to the point the press says "is our tax money being mismanaged for a game?", then it'll be sad.

This doesnt necessarily spell doom for Rime. Sony dropped LA Noire as well, and that one turned out pretty good. Maybe Tequila just needs a different partner to see this through, like how Rockstar stepped in on LA Noire

Rockstar had to step in to salvage the game, and didn't want anything to do with Team Bondi afterwards. And Team Bondi doesn't exist anymore as well.

Publishers will want to avoid games with troubled development, specially after such a "relaxed" publisher like Sony simply drops it.

That sucks. I've been looking forward to Rime since its fantastic trailers, but watching it go completely dark and miss every major Sony conference for years it was obvious something was wrong. I guess if they can find a publisher and actually get the game done it'll be nice to see it go multiplatform, but at this point I doubt it's ever going to be finished.

I knew it was too good to be true. The game always seemed to be an ambitious project. Shame about the art direction though.

Top Bottom