• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
If you don't believe in the afterlife; why do you care what happens in the afterlife? I'm curious why you would even care if you don't believe in afterlife if you have a punishment or don't which is what this is referring to.

Because saying that people who do not believe a certain religious text deserve severe punishment just for the fact that they do not believe degrades them in the eyes of those who believe. The very idea that you deserve punishment for doubting the validity of texts that some guy claims to have received while being alone in a cave is a poisonous ethical statement that, if taken as an ethical template for how these issues are to be assessed generally, can corrupt a person's ethical thinking and thus his actions.

The fact that that punishment is supposed to happen in an afterlife is irrelevant. Somebody like the murderers can easily think that god's ethical reasoning is applicable to similar situations, and from there on it is easy for a maniac to go from "He deserves it" to "I'll make sure he get's it."

But that wasn't our subject anyway. I still don't see how you can defend that a book, allegedly written by an infallible, perfect person, and meant to be read by fallible people as the ultimate guideline, allows itself to be "misinterpreted". Such a person would have wirrten something that even those maniacs could not have misunderstood.

"Never, ever kill somebody for something he just believes, says, or writes." would be a good try.

I'm loving a lot of these cartoon responses. As a creative, I cannot feel more inspired. This news really bummed me out all day at work being seeing so many people around the world come together and united made me feel a lot better.

I hope we can overcome extremism together one day.

These are the people who lost their lives. I'd hope we can remember them more than the animals who did this.

Charb – whose real name was Stephane Charbonnier, 47, artist and publisher of Charlie Hebdo.

Cabu – whose real name was Jean Cabut, 76, Charlie Hebdo’s lead cartoonist. Honoured with the Legion of Honour, France’s highest decoration, in 2005.

Georges Wolinski – Tuinisian born artist, 80. Had been drawing cartoons since the 1960s, and worked for Hara-Kiri, a satirical magazine considered a forerunner to Charlie Hebdo.

Tignous – whose real name was Bernard Verlhac, 57, was a member of a group of artists called ‘Cartoonists for Peace’.

Bernard Maris – known as ‘Uncle Bernard’, 68, was an economist and wrote a regular column for Charlie Hebdo.

Honore – Phillipe Honore, 73, cartoonist, who had worked for Charlie Hebdo since 1992. He was the artist who drew the last cartoon tweeted by the weekly only moments before the massacre. The cartoon shows the leader of the Islamic State and the Levant (ISIS), Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, presenting his New Year message saying “and especially good health!”

Michel Renaud – a former journalist and political staffer who had founded a cultural festival. He was visiting the Charlie Hebdo offices from Clermont-Ferrard.

Mustapha Ourrad – a copy editor for Charlie Hebdo. Of Algerian descent.

Elsa Cayat – Charlie Hebdo analyst and columnist.

Frederic Boisseau – building maintenance worker.

Franck Brinsolaro – 49-year-old policeman appointed to head security detail for Charb. He was the father of a one-year-old daughter.

Merabet Ahmed - 42 and a French Muslim. A police officer and member of the 11th arrondissement brigade.

Dennis

Banned
Also this needs to be posted again and again

B6yMBjlCAAIaKvW.jpg

You didn't kill Charlie Hebdo. You made it stronger.

Respect.

By the way, custody in France is usually 24 hours long, renewable once. However, for terrorist cases, it can be as long as 96 hours.

Gives the police plenty of time to get info from the suspect.

Jon Passantino ‏@passantino 2m2 minutes ago
Paris prosecutor: Man linked to Paris attacks on Wednesday voluntarily presented himself to police in northeast France - Reuters

Zaph

According to Wikipedia, life without parole is only applicable to the following crimes:

For everything else, the maximum sentence is life in prison with a possibility of parole after 22 years.

I was talking in practical terms. Regardless of the number they're never getting out of jail. Whenever murderer/terrorist jail sentences are discussed, people like to accuse Europe of being soft, because they don't understand how it works (check out any Breivik thread).

the most mindblowing thing about all of this to me is that there are still people in 2015 are willing to kill others over a fucking cartoon.

I had a classmate killed over a cigarette back in high school. People will kill for any reason if they wanted to. Doesn't matter what year it is. Human emotions, human pride, human stupidity will always make people make such atrocities regardless of the reason.

Boston marathon asshat surrendered too. Maybe too scared to become a martyr?

He's an 18 year old kid. When I was that age I was sharing my counter-strike statistics and aol chat shenanigans with my friends. What happens when the entire state police, interpol and the SWAT tactical forces are looking for your 18 year old dumb ass? He probably hedged his bets.

lefantome

That is the beauty of free speech, if something is offensive and terrible you can scream about it and make yourself heard.

We can get angry, we can get passionate about this, you can be completely wrong too, but losing lives is simply unacceptable.

with free speech you can easily identify the people who threat to murder people because of some cartoons because they would be open about it.

Also people could try to talk some sanity into them.

btw I think the user just wanted to post that these kind of actions may have a support larger than what we thought. I'm not sure how big these demonstration were and where they had place.

By the way, custody in France is usually 24 hours long, renewable once. However, for terrorist cases, it can be as long as 96 hours.

Gives the police plenty of time to get info from the suspect.

I worked in law enforcement in Germany, these rules can be and are bent if necessary.

What do non-extremists do to overcome extremism?

I dunno. Not back down when stuff like this happens? Continue to be a good human being and spread positivity? I dont have the answers but maybe we can figure it out one day.

There are socioeconomic problem where this stuff arises as well. Its super complex.

Good summary of something I've failed to formulate in clear enough terms:

If anyone has seen the awful video of (the policeman's) execution, he calls the terrorist about to shoot him "chef", which means "chief", and is a commonly used slang term by mostly Maghrebi or Arab French people, and it's basically the equivalent of "dude". By using the term, the policeman was trying to appeal to the guy's conscience, because it's a friendly and down to earth term. But the guy still shot him point blank without hesitating. Just thinking about it makes me sick to the heart.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Horrifying. I pray for the families, and slam one all the way down to these Heroes who died for using their wit, a pencil and a paper. It's immensely sad and worrying we've come to this, I hope it's not a sign of things to come

Cyd0nia

Banned
Quran answers you in verse 3:6-3:9

Does the Quran answer why God only had a vessel / communicator / prophet on earth thousands of years ago? Why there is no guiding force here on Earth now? I imagine there probably is some kind of caveat that conveniently explains that actually -- future proofing if you will. Do all the writings come truth-certified? Can we verify they came from Mohammed's own accounts, when we know they filtered through scribes? What of the hadiths which came from dozens of sources?

The Quran doesn't answer anything except the blind faith of people in ancient texts of unknown origin IMO.

In Britain we used to chip weapons out of pieces of flint / slate, worship things like the sun or water gods, and we'd drag our bodies across the countryside to bury our dead in burial mounds and make ritual sacrifice. We'd waste coins and goods on the corpse for the journey to the afterlife. Then came the domestication of the horse. The wheel. The mining of iron ore. And copper. The Romans and their Gods. The Christians and their god. The divorce from the papacy and the birth of protestantism, the birth of the Church of England. Civil wars. Two World Wars. Suffragettes. Civil rights. Monarchy reduced to a symbolic function. Fast forward to the present and we're a secular society that truly doesn't look back and doesn't need any of this shit. We don't bow or defer to our royalty or religion, we don't follow all of the same oppressive fire and brimstone practices that we used to just because it was written down somewhere or decreed by some self appointed religious figurehead. It's been about 400 years since anyone was killed for heresy or blasphemy. We do still do some stupid, shit stuff, but the point is, surely progressive people can recognise that the past is a mess, and that people could not possibly have been infallible or without political motive. Scripture is a nonsense to me.

To me, religion is what humans used to use to morally indoctrinate, calm, control and prosecute people with before they codified more modern, inclusive, superior civil laws. I wish people could enlighten me as to how easily they take it to their hearts as the truth, or any form of it. I just don't understand religion. And believe me, it's not because I lack 'faith'. Faith is something I am *glad* I am not afflicted by.

I don't care if you want to believe that stuff. If it brings you love and comfort I am happy for you.

My problem today, in the midst of this, is that the discourse has shifted to this wishy washy inward sounding of caution - people trying to defend the religious, people trying to defend their own religion, and people obviously fearful that we will create more extremism if we dare to offend the religious. What was threatened today wasn't religion. It was common decency. It was freedom of the press. That's what we should all be outraged about and conscious of defending. Maybe a full and proper examination and headlong clash of civilisations is what this world needs to cure itself of these ridiculous fanatics.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Good summary of something I've failed to formulate in clear enough terms;

The way that guy didn't even stop walking when he executed the cop was scary. This guy was clearly insane and enjoyed what he did.

kmax

What do non-extremists do to overcome extremism?

All we as people can do is stand united, no matter our background, and vehemently condemn these atrocities.

That is the greatest "Fuck You" we can send to these terrorist scumbags, Muslims and the rest of the world alike.

An incredible loss not only for the loss of the individuals and great artists and heroes. But a strike at the very freedoms most of us hold dear.

jdouglas

To some extent, I DO believe that Islam as a faith and doctrine plays a fault in the extremism. Just the fact that there is definitive room in the teachings of Mohammad advocating violence, means that there is something fundamentally wrong with the ideology. At some point you can't blame extremism/fundamentalism because there are simply too many examples of non-violent extremism/fundamentalism.

What I'm saying is, just the mere presence of violence in a religious text enables negative extremism. This is true for Christianity and Judaism as well (though it's toned down in the last millenium...).

On the other hand, you have Jainism, which at it's core encourages non-violence. You know what a Jain extremist looks like? They sip water and breath through filter paper so as to not accidentally swallow a bug and kill it by digestion.

typist

I want to re-propose my design for a social experiment which may identify people who would escalate a physically non-violent conflict (an idealogical conflict) into a physically violent conflict. In other words this experiment would test people to see if they're the kind of crazy that will hurt or murder someone over a verbal disagreement.

Step 1: Have subject answer questionnaire to gain some idea of their deeply held beliefs and strongly held preferences.

Step 2: Have subject interact with an experimenter who will verbally challenge their deeply held beliefs/preferences in a respectful, calm and non-violent manner. If the subject is religious then the experimenter argues the case against religion, points out corruption of religious figures etcetera. If the subject is conservative then the experimenter argues the case for liberal politics, points out corruption of conservatives etcetera. If the subject likes pop music than the experimenter might state their preference for a contrary genre or disparage the pop genre etcetera. You get the idea.

Step 3: Analyse reactions. Outright violence (e.g attempted assault) is an automatic fail, subject is recommended to some form of therapy/treatment if already a citizen, if not a citizen perhaps therapy or just denied access to state. If the subject escalates to near-violent behaviour then further verbal provocation may be offered by the experimenter. Perhaps including insults or snark - i.e. '(insert idolised person here) was a criminal moron who did (insert stupid shit here)'. If a person can't take an insult without becoming violent then they may need some kind of therapy/help. Subjects who resist provocation, exit the experiment, or just keep their cool all pass. They have demonstrated their reluctance to escalate an idealogical conflict into physical violence and are safe people to disagree with.

I honestly think religious extremists like those who did this shooting could not possibly pass this kind of test but have yet to verify this experimentally. I may soon attempt to get permission for this kind of experiment if I can argue my case against the ethics committee. If such a test was widespread then passing such a test may even be a requisite for earning 'adulthood', a kind of test of maturity or a test for the adherence to non-violence. Constructive criticism is very welcome

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

For fuck's sake, man... This is so fucked up.

The way people manage to kill others like this absolutely terrifies me. It's an aggravant that they have absolutely no logical reason to do it, too.

He's an 18 year old kid. When I was that age I was sharing my counter-strike statistics and aol chat shenanigans with my friends. What happens when the entire state police, interpol and the SWAT tactical forces are looking for your 18 year old dumb ass? He probably hedged his bets.

He's helped assassinate people (not just murder them, assassinate them). He is no kid.

lefantome

this is what usually destroys any extremism in modern societies: when they, to blindly and irrationally fulfill their ideals, go so far to kill or harm the people they should "fight" for they lose support they may have built.

I hope the poor policeman death would take many extremist back to earth, showing them the horror of their ideology and goals.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
My friend thinks this is a false flag because of this video

!!!!WARNING VIOLENT/GRAPHIC CONTENT!!!

*redacted*

Sorry folks

Because saying that people who do not believe a certain religious text deserve severe punishment just for the fact that they do not believe degrades them in the eyes of those who believe. The very idea that you deserve punishment for doubting the validity of texts that some guy claims to have received while being alone in a cave is a poisonous ethical statement that, if taken as an ethical template for how these issues are to be assessed generally, can corrupt a person's ethical thinking and thus his actions.

Somebody like the murderers can easily think that god's ethical reasoning is applicable to similar situations, and from there on it is easy for a maniac to go from "He deserves it" to "I'll make sure he get's it."

The fact that that punishment is supposed to happen in an afterlife is irrelevant.

But that wasn't our subject anyway. I still don't see how you can defend that a book, allegedly written by an infallible, perfect person, and meant to be read by fallible people as the ultimate guideline, allows itself to be "misinterpreted". Such a person would have wirrten something that even those maniacs could not have misunderstood.

"Never, ever kill somebody for something he just believes, says, or writes." would be a good try.

Why would It downgrade the view about non muslims? The purpose is the educate and if education fails then let them disbelieve. Islam gives great importance of accepting islam up until the last breath at the old age or when dying of disease so if God can wait till the dying breath why not muslims and this is what they do. Do you know of any muslim fiends who hate you for being non muslims? I am on gaf where 90% would be non muslim do I hate 90% of folks here ? No why would I be on the forum for gaming if I just hate other non Muslims. This thinking is only by those who don't respect other human beings. It says in the Quran itself

There is no compulsion in religion. 2:256
Whosoever will, let him believe, and whosoever will, let him disbelieve. 18:29
Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion. 109:6

In the Quran. The only acts of violence are in defense against an aggressor but never be an aggressor yourself, this is also the belief of the U.S. ARMY but islam is not a nation so it doesn't apply to muslims in modern age. There is no use of armed defense as no one can remove islam forcefully

Does the Quran answer why God only had a vessel / communicator / prophet on earth thousands of years ago? Why there is no guiding force here on Earth now? I imagine there probably is some kind of caveat that conveniently explains that actually -- future proofing if you will. Do all the writings come truth-certified? Can we verify they came from Mohammed's own accounts, when we know they filtered through scribes? What of the hadiths which came from dozens of sources?

The Quran doesn't answer anything except the blind faith of people in ancient texts of unknown origin IMO.

In Britain we used to chip weapons out of pieces of flint / slate, worship things like the sun or water gods, and we'd drag our bodies across the countryside to bury our dead in burial mounds and make ritual sacrifice. We'd waste coins and goods on the corpse for the journey to the afterlife. Then came the domestication of the horse. The wheel. The mining of iron ore. And copper. The Romans and their Gods. The Christians and their god. The divorce from the papacy and the birth of protestantism, the birth of the Church of England. Civil wars. Two World Wars. Suffragettes. Civil rights. Monarchy reduced to a symbolic function. Fast forward to the present and we're a secular society that truly doesn't look back and doesn't need any of this shit. We don't bow or defer to our royalty or religion, we don't follow all of the same oppressive fire and brimstone practices that we used to just because it was written down somewhere or decreed by some self appointed religious figurehead. It's been about 400 years since anyone was killed for heresy or blasphemy. We do still do some stupid, shit stuff, but the point is, surely progressive people can recognise that the past is a mess, and that people could not possibly have been infallible or without political motive. Scripture is a nonsense to me.

To me, religion is what humans used to use to morally indoctrinate, calm, control and prosecute people with before they codified more modern, inclusive, superior civil laws. I wish people could enlighten me as to how easily they take it to their hearts as the truth, or any form of it. I just don't understand religion. And believe me, it's not because I lack 'faith'. Faith is something I am *glad* I am not afflicted by.

I don't care if you want to believe that stuff. If it brings you love and comfort I am happy for you.

My problem today, in the midst of this, is that the discourse has shifted to this wishy washy inward sounding of caution - people trying to defend the religious, people trying to defend their own religion, and people obviously fearful that we will create more extremism if we dare to offend the religious. What was threatened today wasn't religion. It was common decency. It was freedom of the press. That's what we should all be outraged about and conscious of defending. Maybe a full and proper examination and headlong clash of civilisations is what this world needs to cure itself of these ridiculous fanatics.

Refer to post 56

Responses from US Muslim leaders. One of the most prominent US Sheikhs and Islamic leader (Hamza Yusuf)

qVQ08c5.png

Equally prominent scholar Yasir Qadhi

8h0BDHI.png

Yeah but your 18 year old self wouldn't have gotten involved in a terrorist plot.

Blows my mind. I guess trying to figure it out is futile.

FartOfWar

Banned
I completely agree with that. I'm annoyed that I have to keep emphasizing this because I dislike Charlie Hebdo's art, but oh well.
You're critiquing the quality of satirical illustrations in a thread about ten journalists and two police officers being murdered because said drawings offended a few fragile, despicable religious lunatics. Pity you're unable to understand why people suspect you're implying something other than your own distaste for the content of the cartoons. I doubt anyone is concerned that you're annoyed, though.

Xando

Good summary of something I've failed to formulate in clear enough terms:
Seeing the video of the execution made me really sad. How can you take someone's life without any emotion? It was like they were roboters. Makes me ashamed that these cowards are the same species as i am.

Will be just terrible if those two get away. Is there really no way to lock down exits to the country with how open Western Europe travel is?

There are still ways. In Germany the federal border guard will still do random inspections and can ask anyone for ID at any time near the border/at train stations.
Obviously it's not possible to cover all cars and travelers, especially with limited preparation time, no descriptions etc.

Last year, I was checked by them on the train from France 5 times. Every time they only wanted to call in my data haha

All we as people can do is stand united, no matter our background, and vehemently condemn these atrocities.

That is the greatest "Fuck You" we can send to these terrorist scumbags, Muslims and the rest of the world alike.

I think it's very good that we showed the terrorists they are isolated in their madness and that we will not put up with their shit. If we don't do that, we risk letting honest people doubt and maybe get seduced by their sick ideas - or submitting to them out of fear.

Today/yesterday's public reaction has been even more useful considering they've reacted almost instantly. We didn't even wait 24 hours before gathering and expressing our opposition to terrorism. That's as clear a message as you can send. The more countries and organizations do this, the stronger the effect will be.

AkuAnkka

Neo Member
Of course, the headshot is a fake, just because a guy, at 450 miles of Paris, created a video with an original captured with a phone... :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom