• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 50 Best Film Scores Of The 21st Century So Far

jb1234

The list has a very clear agenda against scores of a more traditional nature. I'm honestly surprised they gave Desplat a top ten entry, given John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Michael Giacchino, Howard Shore, Christopher Young, etc. etc. weren't mentioned at all.

(And James Newton Howard only gets a mention in connection to his collaboration with Hans Zimmer in The Dark Knight, which was mostly written by the latter anyway.)

Edit: Yup, just the last sentence says it all. "Danny Elfman’s underrated and uncharacteristically understated music in “The End Of The Tour,” the list goes on and on." This is a list of scores that have nothing much to say, which seems to be what the authors prefer.

Mifune

Mehmber
There's some good stuff on here obviously, but apparently The Playlist is a place where traditional film scores don't exist. No Williams? No Giacchino? No Powell? No Horner? No Shore? At least Desplat got a mention - Birth is truly extraordinary.

#1 is perfect. It was so fucking good. On my second play through of Red Dead Redemption I had it playing and it fit so fucking well.

The Lord of the Rings should be on there though.

Mifune

Mehmber
I guess John Williams and James Horner needed to try harder than the dude from Edward Sharpe.

If Tarantino didn't use his music this site wouldn't know Morricone from Mascarpone.

Glad to see Tron Legacy and It Follows up there. Definitely two of my favourites of the last few years.

Inception gotta be up there. To this day its still amazing.

I love the score to Inception so much. I can honestly listen to Time on repeat for hours and not get bored of it.

The Lord of the Rings is not even top 10? Trash list

Edit: Not even on the list, why in the hell would they make a list like this and leave out one of the most iconic and recognizable film scores of the 21st century???

Yeah, that's total horseshit. It definitely deserves to be up there.

This is a solid list. I don't like Hans Zimmer, but the rest is amazing. They could place number 1 in the Zimmer spot and then give the number 1 to The Following's score by Disasterpiece.

You mean It Follows by Disasterpeace?!

Edit - really glad to see Sunshine in there too. I love that score so much: especially the crescendo when Capa is leaping to the separated dish.

jett

D-Member
Did they forget about The Lord of the Rings? It's not anywhere in the top 50. Music is subjective, and there are several fine choices in this list, but this omission is just insane to me.

And not a single Giacchino score either. Ah fuck it, screw this list.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The last act of Jesse James was the most I've been glued to a movie in years, and the score helped with that. Well deserved number 1.

A Song For Bob is a heart wrenching ode to our mistakes. I would call the music another character in the movie or perhaps acting like a second narrator in a way. One of the few movie watching experiences I would call magical.

Song for Bob

Pedrito

I'm surprised The Village isn't there. Blood Diamond also has an underrated score. Both by James Newton Howard.

TDLink

Terrible list. Not that the films listed are bad but...

No Star Wars?
No Lord of the Rings?
No Harry Potter?
Interstellar missing?
No Michael Giacchino at all?
No John Williams at all?

Nibel

It's a modern classic IMO. Some people say it's too slow, I call it brooding and contemplative. Amazing movie with an amazing soundtrack.

It's a low key great movie. Did not expect to like it as much as I did.

It is the unsung masterpiece of the last 20 years, IMO. A masterclass in acting, directing, and cinematography.

Thanks guys, will check it out when I have the time. I always liked what I've seen in still images I've came across

Window

I'd put John Williams up there with his AI score.
Yeah I was thinking of that too. The score in AI is wonderful.

And since I'm an Angelo Badalamenti fan, I would also add the Mulholland Dr. score. It contributes a lot in establishing the film's atmosphere. And if I were cheating, The Best of Youth would be near the top.

WillyFive

Interesting list, not a single one of those are movies I would consider to have a score worth mentioning, let alone praising.

Interesting list, not a single one of those are movies I would consider to have a score worth mentioning, let alone praising.

plz-stop-posthbqsx.jpg

Interstellar or Inception's soundtrack was better than The Dark Knight, in my opinion.

I can agree with that. Zimmer went Philip Glass on the Interstellar Soundtrack and it worked in the movie and as a seperate listening experience.

Inception was great, if not better than Interstellar. Old Souls is such a perfect track.

Everyone should go watch The Assassination of Jesse James. Man that movie. The acting, the cinematography, the score. Like the performance by Casey Affleck is up there with the best of this century with probably Daniel Day Lewis in a bunch of movies.

Everyone should go watch The Assassination of Jesse James. Man that movie. The acting, the cinematography, the score. Like the performance by Casey Affleck is up there with the best of this century with probably Daniel Day Lewis in a bunch of movies.

Yeah, brilliant film.

Top Bottom