• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.
i9HWVNv.gif

I think this is the first time I've seen this without some kind of video game exec face plastered on to the people lol

I just noticed there was a stage hand or something who also tried to snatch it from Beatty

And he runs off immediately. Gotta work double time after that fuck up.

Oersted

The Salesman was missing from the list I copy/pasted from The Oscar's official site for some reason so I was unaware of its presence until they announced it during the show. Edited it in late.

I wondered if it was something up with the OPs list. No biggie, should have remembered Salesman on my own

I blame Hacksaw Ridge for most misses anyway

Then just say you're walking back your original allegation instead of talking about "clarifying" and "just LOOKS shady" instead.

but you already recognized that I'd walked it back? Are you just asking for the announcement or something?

I don't get this. It looked shady. I said so. Someone pointed out he at least tried to wave it off. I said "you're right, he did."

Was he just trying to buy time? Was he looking to get his speech read while he was up there? Was he on autopilot? Was he hoping that while he was up there the Academy might just let everyone keep their awards and declare a tie? I don't know. but it's pretty clear he knew they weren't supposed to win the award, and gave his acceptance speech anyway, before ending it with "we lost, by the way."

What are you specifically requesting I do here

mjp2417

Banned
All things aside, Moonlight is probably one of the best Best Picture winners that the Oscars have chosen in their history.

Yeah, this is actually the first time in my lifetime that what I believed to be the best American movie in a given year actually won best picture. Feels weird.

My entire issue runs with the fact you got upset at people being upset at Mel. Why? When people are reasonably upset at the fucker for being a piece of shit.
Wrong! I was upset for people piling on me and others for saying "Mel is awesome" in context of the show we were all watching together so peacefully and pleasantly...But thanks to you! it's been literally 4 hours since then, and now I find myself in a useless back and forth with you, who sounds sooo angry!!

What do you want me to say? "Mel is a racist, but he makes great films and he has some good acting chops."
Can you give me that much? Why do I feel like I am trying to stop a child from crying?? why?

Honestly dude, lets move this along, like the producers moved it along so quickly as soon as they realized they lost.

He said this?! Holy fuck. Where the fuck have I been?

According to Wikipedia;

In July 2010, Gibson had been recorded during a phone call with Oksana Grigorieva suggesting that if she got "raped by a pack of niggers," she would be to blame.

Prior to that there was this situation;

On July 28, 2006, Gibson was arrested by a deputy James Mee of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department for driving under the influence (DUI) while speeding in his vehicle with an open container of alcohol, which is illegal in California. According to a 2011 article in Vanity Fair, Gibson first told the arresting officer, "My life is over. I'm fucked. Robyn's going to leave me." According to the arrest report, Gibson exploded into an angry tirade when the arresting officer would not allow him to drive home. Gibson climaxed with the words, "Fucking Jews... the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world. Are you a Jew?" The arresting Sheriff's Deputy, James Mee, was Jewish.

He did apologize for both situations, just not in a personal way. I know for at least one he said he had been drinking heavily and basically implied it just kinda happened. He was basically blacklisted from Hollywood from 2010-2015. 2016 was the first year he actually got major studio backing for a film (Hacksaw Ridge) and when they were first advertising it they never credited Gibson as the director, it just said "From the Director of Braveheart and (Something else he did)".

Out 1

Are you guys seriously defending him?

I mean, yeah yeah, stage pressure I know. He was probably very nervous. But that doesnt excuse him for being so rude. It wasnt Warren's fault. It wasnt anybody's fault there.

The way he took the envelope from Warren's hand was ridiculous, rude and stupid. No excuses.

Yep. It's Warren Beatty ffs

C4Lukins

Amy Adams is Best Picture

eKGHuHF.jpg

Yep.

Amy Adams was the big winner tonight.

I was totally over her, and thought she looked a little old in Nocturnal Animals. She super won best everything for the night in that dress. She was also excellent in Arrival and Nocturnal Animals.

There's no need to "fill time". The only need is for them to get the fuck off the stage as quickly as possible so that the Moonlight people have their moment to shine.

Instead, that second producers goes up knowing they lost and thanks his family for five minutes and then says "we lost btw"
He spoke for 15 seconds while the group behind him was being notified.

LionPride

Banned
Wrong! I was upset for people piling on me and others for saying "Mel is awesome" in context of the show we were all watching together so peacefully and pleasantly...But thanks to you! it's been literally 4 hours since then, and now I find myself in a useless back and forth with you, who sound sooo angry!!

What do you want me to say? "Mel is a racist, but he makes great films and he has some good acting chops."
Can you give me that much? Why do I feel like I am trying to stop a child from crying?? why?

Honestly dude, lets move this along, like the producers moves it along so quickly as soon as they realized they lost.
People can give opinions on people you like no matter the circumstance. There was no reason to be upset that people were calling out Mel fans, especially ones who just never owned up to liking such a terrible person because he makes movies you like.

Again, it's fine to like him, but it isn't fine to be upset when people call him and fans of his out if those fans don't acknowledge they like a person who is just such an asshole.

teiresias

This doesn't register as rude, it registers as "let me set this shit straight while you and Kimmel fart around leaving the actual winners only ten seconds to speak," then of course Beatty and Kimmel proceed to make the next two minutes about themselves anyway instead of just getting the Moonlight team up to the mic.

Feel so bad that true legends like Warren and Faye had to get caught up in this absurd moment.

They deserved better.

We are lucky that they didn't both drop dead from all of the activity, but to be fair to the well-oiled machine that is the Oscars, they probably had their in memoriams in the tank and ready to roll.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
In the absolute chaos of this thread I must point out (though it has to have been already pointed out) Oscar winning Suicide Squad. How many Oscars did marvel win this year? Talent always wins.

Man, judging by the look on Horowitz's (the envelope-grabber's) face, he was not a happy camper. Like people have said in this thread, he was probably just angry about the situation, and there were probably also a lot of emotions going through his head after the whiplash of thinking they won and then finding out they lost. I'm even more impressed that he handled things in such an efficient and classy manner given that look on his face -- the few times in life I've had that look on my face, I've been so upset that I was practically unable to function.

LionPride

Banned
According to Wikipedia;

Prior to that there was this situation;

He did apologize for both situations, just not in a personal way. I know for at least one he said he had been drinking heavily and basically implied it just kinda happened. He was basically blacklisted from Hollywood from 2010-2015. 2016 was the first year he actually got major studio backing for a film (Hacksaw Ridge) and when they were first advertising it they never credited Gibson as the director, it just said "From the Director of Braveheart and (Something else he did)".
He ain't exactly give an apology for the nigger thing. Being an alcoholic doesn't make you a racist ass. Being a racist ass, makes you a racist ass.

Klocker

Watching the vid it's even clearer. When he says moonlight won, the crowd and everyone clearly is barely registering it. He grabs the card to ensure everyone knows he's not fucking with anyone

Exactly, dude obviously knows how to take charge and he was watching a bunch people floundering around confused asking what happened, and Producer guy was all about , who cares HOW it happened, lets fix it... taking charge and making sure everyone knew that the credit goes to Moonlight.

there were probably also a lot of emotions going through his head after the whiplash of thinking they won and then finding out they lost.

It's a Damian Chazelle production, alright.

Yes, people do recognize when they're mistaken instead of randomly shifting their stance mid-argument if that's what you're asking.

No, that's not what I'm asking. You just quoted what I'm asking. Are you basically asking me to explicitly state to you that I did the thing you already observed me doing openly? Because it's not like I was hiding it, and it's not like you didn't see it happen as you followed the conversation.

I mean, I think I've been pretty up-front here?

Further, wouldn't it make sense that if I've shifted my stance, it's because I recognized I had missed a detail when someone pointed it out to me? That's what you're supposed to do, right?

I apologize for being unclear and for probably making this harder than it needs to be.

I think it really just boils down to the modern academy voters awarding directing along more technical lines recently rather than a "direction of actors and story" line.
Yeah, that's basically what I was getting at.

The guilds only have one award for the equivalent of best picture, while the oscars have two true "big ones". And best director has had renewed prestige after the expansion of possible best picture nominations.

Feel so bad that true legends like Warren and Faye had to get caught up in this absurd moment.

They deserved better.
I dunno. Imagine if it was someone younger who has a long career ahead of them. This is the kind of shit that follows you, lol

erawsd

There's no need to "fill time". The only need is for them to get the fuck off the stage as quickly as possible so that the Moonlight people have their moment to shine.

Instead, that second producers goes up knowing they lost and thanks his family for five minutes and then says "we lost btw"

Problem is no one was doing anything so it wasn't going to get the Moonlight people up there any faster. Everyone seemed to be just standing around waiting for the Oscar producers to make a call or provide some direction that never came... Luckily, Jordan Horowitz took control of the situation but I wouldnt fault anyone else for making a bad decision in such a moment since its unfair they were in that position to begin with.

ZeoVGM

Banned
We are on the same page, right? This was clearly manufactured for the event and ratings/viral videos. Brilliant for awards shows that know they're losing viewers.

Yep, they manufactured a crazy event during the last 5 minutes of a four hour show to boost ratings.

Brilliant deduction.

kevin1025

Banned
Yep.

Amy Adams was the big winner tonight.

I was totally over her, and thought she looked a little old in Nocturnal Animals. She super won best everything for the night in that dress. She was also excellent in Arrival and Nocturnal Animals.

Just never bet against Adams. That's a lesson everyone should know.

UberTag

Man, judging by the look on Horowitz's (the envelope-grabber's) face, he was not a happy camper. Like people have said in this thread, he was probably just angry about the situation, and there were probably also a lot of emotions going through his head after the whiplash of thinking they won and then finding out they lost. I'm even more impressed that he handled things in such an efficient and classy manner given that look on his face -- the few times in life I've had that look on my face, I've been so upset that I was practically unable to function.
Beatty's unceasing smile in the background makes the moment that much more priceless.

People can give opinions on people you like no matter the circumstance. There was no reason to be upset that people were calling out Mel fans, especially ones who just never owned up to liking such a terrible person because he makes movies you like.

Again, it's fine to like him, but it isn't fine to be upset when people call him and fans of his out if those fans don't acknowledge they like a person who is just such an asshole.

this is gonna sound like deja vu but...k

stupei

Are you talking about the concert scene? Stone's character reacts that way because she sees Gosling's character going along with a musical style that he doesn't truly love. The film isn't making a statement on who is "right".

But as I mentioned, it's not just her reactions. The way the rest of the scene is framed, the constant escalation, is also an indictment of what Keith is doing. Just as soon as you start to settle in and think it's not so bad, it's kind of good, there's another wrinkle. Oh, you like it? But what if there are back up singers! And funky dancers! Also, it's an electric keyboard, what about now!

It's impossible to finish that scene and not know which of them Chazelle thinks is correct in their opinion on jazz and it simply isn't Keith.

Add in the photo shoot later and almost every scene that shows the band just screams "this is tacky and compromises integrity." People say that Seb evolves, but he doesn't. People want to suggest he reaches a point where he acknowledges it's possible to approach art in two entirely different ways that are equally valid, but he never says that either; people just infer it because it's reasonable and they want the film they enjoyed to be reasonable, but frankly it isn't as complex or layered as that. He begins the film correct and ends in largely the same place. His transformation as a character is almost entirely monetary. The film's characters simply do not have that dynamic an arc, which is okay. It's not that kind of film.

Even if its creators often talk about it as though it is.

Exactly, dude obviously knows how to take charge and he was like watching a bunch people floundering around confused asking what happened, and Producer guy was all about , who cares HOW it happened, lets fix it... taking charge and making sure everyone knew that the credit goes to Moonlight.

It's actually unfortunate in some ways that the award for talent as a producer is best picture, because the guy demonstrated right then how great he is at producing.

KHarvey16

Can I ask an honest question here? Which do we really, truly, honestly believe is the more likely scenario?

A. Man, in the midst of a crowd currently being informed they did not win the award they thought they did by officials from the show, proceeds to speak in a calculated attempt to prevent the award going to its rightful owners

or

B. Man, in the midst of a confusing scene, has adrenaline pumping, is nervous in front of a shit load of people and doesn't really know the best way to handle the situation unfolding around him.

Why is malice or intentionally attempting to deprive others of the honor the easier explanation here? Do we really think the guy thought this through and said "nah fuck those guys, I'll keep talking and see if this problem goes away!"? We sit here and analyze with the benefit of hindsight and far more information than anyone on that stage had, all while being able to do it from the comfort of our chairs inside our homes, not up on a stage in front of thousands, being watched by millions, having had a great honor and something we worked hard for given and taken away in seconds.

Why don't we just take a step back and not call a guy an asshole based on this scenario?

They deserved better.

Well thankfully they're old enough that the shitshow that is the internet doesn't affect them. They don't have twitter accounts to bombard to make sure they feel extra bad for their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom