• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Abuse Of ‘Feel-Good’ Cop Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kree

Banned
The video.

The article.

I remember the first time a man let me know that he could kill me if he chose to.

I was 19 years old. My fiancé and I had just finished an argument. I had flinched at his rage. He noticed my fear, and he told me a story.

“My ex told her family that she thought I was going to kill her,“ he said, “I mean, I’m really strong. I could hurt people really bad if I wanted to. I’ll punch holes in walls if I have to.” He pulled a sword off of the wall and casually twirled it around while he looked at me, “But I wouldn’t have hurt her. I wasn’t abusive. She should see what real abuse is.”

Today, when I saw this video which has gone viral these past few days as a “feel-good” cop story, I finally made the connection. The video is of a black woman being pulled over by police. There is terror on her face as the officer walks up to her car. His gun is at her eye level. But the officer doesn’t reach for the gun—instead, he reaches for two ice cream cones to hand over to her and her passenger. Her terror gives way to the almost tearful relief that she is not going to come to harm at the hands of these officers. At least not today.

Watching this video, I was suddenly 19 again, trying not to cry while my boyfriend toyed with a sword and told me that I was lucky he’d never hurt me. And I was also the scared mother I was a few months ago, flooded with relief that the cop who followed my baby and I had let us get to the store alive. Watching this video I understood what these “feel-good” video and picture campaigns put on by police departments really are—abuse. They are designed to remind us that they are in charge, and that they are capable of taking our lives in an instant—but if we are good and they are feeling benevolent, they won’t.

These videos, combined with the countless videos of black men and women and children shot dead by cops, serve to remind us that we should both fear and love them if we want to survive. And if we don’t survive, we have nobody to blame but ourselves—see how capable of not killing us they can be?

Anybody who has been in an abusive relationship will recognize this behavior. It’s a raised hand that might be a slap but then lowers for a pat on the shoulder. It’s a friendly warning that—this time—they aren’t going to get really mad. A reminder that what you are experiencing right now isn’t really abuse—you know what real abuse looks like.

The woman in this video was pulled over and terrorized just to let her know that they could. And she was given ice cream to let her know that she should be grateful. And the video was broadcast so that we would all know that we should feel the same.

It’s disgusting.

The time and money spent terrorizing citizens with ice cream cones could have been spent retraining the police force on how to confront their implicit biases and deescalate potentially dangerous situations. Or it could have been spent doing anything other than pulling over unsuspecting black women and scaring the shit out of them for laughs.

Related articles:

No, the police can’t pull over drivers to give them gifts

But here’s the catch: A lot of these stops are unconstitutional. When the police pull over a car, that’s a Fourth Amendment “seizure” of the driver, any passengers, and everything inside. To justify that seizure, the police need at least some cause either that a driver committed a traffic violation or that a person in the car is involved in a crime or wanted in connection with a serious crime. If the police have that cause, they can stop the car regardless of whether they want to write a ticket, investigate a crime or give the driver an ice cream cone. But the police can’t pull over the car without any cause, even if they want to do something nice, such as give the driver a gift.

Cops Pulling Over People to Hand Out Ice Cream Is Dangerous, Not Funny

To the untrained eye and ear, the black woman captured in the video sounded full of joy. But to black people everywhere, we know what loud, uncontrollable relief looks and sounds like. That relief that Maya Angelou once talked about that black women have perfected. That relief that forces you to laugh because you haven’t had the space to cry just yet. That relief every time we interact with police officers because we never know if we will leave that interaction alive.

In an attempt to better relations with community and police officers, the video does the exact opposite. It further highlights the fear that black people carry with them the moment they see flashing lights in their rearview mirror. Not only is this supposed lighthearted humor a complete waste of resources and tax dollars, but it’s also dangerous to stop a driver for no apparent reason other than to show how “good” a cop one is. It’s tone-deaf and out of touch with our reality and experiences as black people.

Perhaps police officers often forget the names of Sandra Bland, Freddie Gray, Mike Brown and, most recently, Philando Castile—who was killed after being in the same car with his girlfriend (ironically the same configuration as the one shown in the video)—but black people never will. We know what getting pulled over by the police can mean for us. We know what accidentally saying “Ma’am” to an egomaniacal, hypermasculine guy cop can mean for us. We know what can happen in a matter of seconds. And we recognize that all of this can occur anytime we step into a vehicle.

It's important to really get why people roll their eyes at pickup basketball games and cookouts in place of actual police reform bolstered by new policies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Damn. That's a rough read... The video may have been well-intentioned, but "Ha haaa! We aren't going to kill you!" isn't much of a prank...

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but how do you guys feel about the "could kill me if he chose to" idea?

I feel like the strength thing is being attached to gender when it shouldn't be. Just because you're female doesn't mean you're damned to forever be too weak to stand up for yourself, you could start lifting weights and building muscle just like a man could. I suppose it's true that it is a bit easier for men since they are naturally a bit stronger but I feel like we as a society should not only try to encourage people get away from abusive partners, but also encourage everyone to work on their physical strength so that men and women could become more equal in that way. Right now the standard in society is for men to focus on being strong and women to focus on being attractive, and I feel like this definitely feeds into the abusive relationships issue.

Maybe I'm completely wrong in thinking that, but I just wanted to put my opinion out there.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
You thought I was gonna murder you but I just made your life flash in front of your eyes cus we needed some good PR.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't know if this is the right thread for this but how do you guys feel about the "could kill me if he chose to" idea?

I feel like the strength thing is being attached to gender when it shouldn't be. Just because you're female doesn't mean you're damned to forever be too weak to stand up for yourself, you could start lifting weights and building muscle just like a man could. I suppose it's true that it is a bit easier for men since they are naturally a bit stronger but I feel like we as a society should not only try to encourage people get away from abusive partners, but also encourage everyone to work on their physical strength so that men and women could become more equal in that way. Right now the standard in society is for men to focus on being strong and women to focus on being attractive, and I feel like this definitely feeds into the abusive relationships issue.

Maybe I'm completely wrong in thinking that, but I just wanted to put my opinion out there.
This is probably the least relevant post you could've made. I'd recommend starting another thread about gender politics instead of derailing this one.

RDreamer

It's important to really get why people roll their eyes at pickup basketball games and cookouts in place of actual police reform bolstered by new policies.

I do think that most of these videos are probably done by cops who just want the publicity and to shout as loudly as possible that they're not the bad ones rather than cops with a genuine want to get to know their community better. Police reform and new policies absolutely need to happen, but I do think cops getting out into the community and really, genuinely breaking down barriers is a good thing. Part of the problem is that these cops see this group of people they're policing as some sort of 'other' and the people being policed obviously see the cops as something like abusers. That shouldn't be the case, and I think blending the two groups more can help that. It's kind of like how the people from your small ass town that go to college in the big city seem to get more "liberal" and tolerant of others. It's because they're actually around those other people and the differences and 'othering' starts to melt away. So, I think things like cookouts and basketball games are a good thing. They're not the biggest thing we need, though, and I don't fault anyone for rolling their eyes at it. Hell I rolled my eyes pretty goddamned hard at some of those videos, too. The videos are put up to obfuscate the issue and try and make it seem like we don't need police reform and policy changes. We do. We need those, and we need good cops really blending in with their community.

I was once pulled over and given ice cream. I thought it was great! But this piece just opened my eyes to a darker side of these situations. As a white male, I'm not worried whenever I get pulled over, so it was just a pleasant surprise when I was given ice cream. At worst, I'd get a small fine (if I actually did something illegal). It's hard to put myself into the shoes of a black individual. I'd imagine, like the article says; its less of a surprise and more of a huge relief that you aren't somehow victimized.

I knew this viral video felt off. And its definitely the woman's face as the cop approached her vehicle.

This video popped up in my fb feed a little while ago and that was my exact reaction. "Oh, hahaha, I thought you were going to kill me but you gave me ice cream! Good one officer! Thanks for not killing me!"

I do think that most of these videos are probably done by cops who just want the publicity and to shout as loudly as possible that they're not the bad ones rather than cops with a genuine want to get to know their community better. Police reform and new policies absolutely need to happen, but I do think cops getting out into the community and really, genuinely breaking down barriers is a good thing. Part of the problem is that these cops see this group of people they're policing as some sort of 'other' and the people being policed obviously see the cops as something like abusers. That shouldn't be the case, and I think blending the two groups more can help that. It's kind of like how the people from your small ass town that go to college in the big city seem to get more "liberal" and tolerant of others. It's because they're actually around those other people and the differences and 'othering' starts to melt away. So, I think things like cookouts and basketball games are a good thing. They're not the biggest thing we need, though, and I don't fault anyone for rolling their eyes at it. Hell I rolled my eyes pretty goddamned hard at some of those videos, too. The videos are put up to obfuscate the issue and try and make it seem like we don't need police reform and policy changes. We do. We need those, and we need good cops really blending in with their community.

I completely agree. Videos like this, or just videos of positive officer interactions in general (i.e. look, this time things went well), those are unimportant and mostly fluff. But community outreach is very important in changing how police do their jobs in many of these areas, and shouldn't be overlooked just because there's other work to be done as well.

The Kree

Banned

I feel like the cops have to earn these chillout sessions first and they haven't even begun to do that. As an institution you can't come off a killing spree and then just be like my bad, lets have a beer and talk. Acknowledge that you have a problem, fall back, make some changes to your operating procedure, make a habit of ostracizing and punishing the bad actors within your ranks, and then you can come hang out. Taping yourself doing nice things is just propaganda.

Yea that video was stupid. Have a bbq with the community like that other story if you want to have a feel good story of police/community bonding. Pulling people over and scaring the shit out of them to instead say "Surprise! Ice Cream!" while maybe well intentioned isn't the way to do it.

RDreamer

I feel like the cops have to earn these chillout sessions first and they haven't even begun to do that. As an institution you can't come off a killing spree and then just be like my bad, lets have a beer and talk. Acknowledge that you have a problem, fall back, make some changes to your operating procedure, make a habit of ostracizing and punishing the bad actors within your ranks, and then you can come hang out. Taping yourself doing nice things is just propaganda.

I guess that depends on how you see the institution of policing and how interconnected you think they are. If the cities where these people were killed were doing the cookouts and shit then yeah you've definitely got a point, but I think some of/most of these aren't. There's a degree of separation there where they're not actually coming off a killing spree. They might see that there's a problem overall and are changing those policies and trying to go into the communities and be better before those things happen.

It's just a weird situation and discussion because obviously I realize there is a bit of connectedness there and at the same time there isn't. And, again, I do absolutely agree that taping yourself doing these things is propaganda. I'm talking about other precincts that are doing these things without the pomp. I heard about communities changing policing to have more outreach before this was a big issue throughout the US. Those instances are kind of what I'm talking about.

SL128

"Are you aware of why I pulled you over today?"

"No- I MEAN yes, sir!"
:(

Edit: Re-listening, it sounds like she might have said something else, but it sadly still seems like a plausible interection

This video popped up in my fb feed a little while ago and that was my exact reaction. "Oh, hahaha, I thought you were going to kill me but you gave me ice cream! Good one officer! Thanks for not killing me!"

Same here.

It would be like going to the doctor and being told, ”I'm sorry Mr Freddie, I have some bad news. Your blood test revealed that you have AIDS........ acquired ICECREAM deficiency syndrome LoL!"

Seriously, don't abuse your authority to prank someone.

The Kree

Banned
I guess that depends on how you see the institution of policing and how interconnected you think they are. If the cities where these people were killed were doing the cookouts and shit then yeah you've definitely got a point, but I think some of/most of these aren't. There's a degree of separation there where they're not actually coming off a killing spree. They might see that there's a problem overall and are changing those policies and trying to go into the communities and be better before those things happen.

It's just a weird situation and discussion because obviously I realize there is a bit of connectedness there and at the same time there isn't. And, again, I do absolutely agree that taping yourself doing these things is propaganda. I'm talking about other precincts that are doing these things without the pomp. I heard about communities changing policing to have more outreach before this was a big issue throughout the US. Those instances are kind of what I'm talking about.

I know that some jurisdictions are worse than others, but they specifically targeted a black driver to make this video. They pick minority communities for those cookouts. On and off camera, they're acknowledging that the issue is between law enforcement as a whole and minorities. In that respect, the separation doesn't seem relevant. The message is universal: we could be killing you, but we didn't today, so please remember that.

devilhawk

Pulling people over 'as a joke' is illegal, right?

Either way, it's definitely not funny.
Cops can play it off that they pulled them over for another reason.

When I went on a ride-along way back in HS for a school project, it was very apparent that on city streets, it is a near impossibility to drive for any decent length of time without making the most minor of infractions and enabling a cop to pull you over.

That's what makes profiling so dangerous, whether it be racial, against teenagers, or out-of-towners, is that cops will find a perfectly legitimate reason to pull you over if they decide you are their target.

The only reason the cookout news story was acceptable cause it wasn't just a cookout and photo op but also BLM people discussing matters with the police during it. Questions were asked of the police chief. The questions weren't soft-balled, they were things like is the black community being bought off with food and is this feel-good event really helping much with racial profiling. The BLM people would still do the protest afterwards.

This case was an empty feel-good story that will encourage white people to share it in mass to placate the #notallcops crowd while non-whites just have to sigh that it doesn't go to improve racial profiling or police brutality.

devilhawk

devilhawk

But like someone said earlier, there's almost no one that drives for more than a mile or two without committing a traffic violation of some sort.
Well, that someone was me. My point is that this isn't illegal as some posters claimed. It really is damn near impossible to not get pulled over for an infraction if you are targeted.

Police reform and new policies absolutely need to happen, but I do think cops getting out into the community and really, genuinely breaking down barriers is a good thing.

No, it abso-fucking-lutely is not:

Hinton also charts the rise of programs like Police Athletic Leagues and gives urgently needed context on the current debate about community policing. There’s a great photo in the middle of the book of young black men playing cards in a teen center with cops in DC in 1968. These efforts to improve community relationships with the police had a sinister side: they were pre-emptive strikes for cops to find “potential criminals” under the cover of providing social services. Eventually, “policing became the main form of social service – when drugs came, folks had no one to call but the police”.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...y-to-the-war-on-crime-review-elizabeth-hinton

Creating a positive relationship with the community is antithetical to the job of policing, particularly in African-american communities. You can't have "positive relations" with a an occupying paramilitary force. This is that 'winning hearts and minds' nonsense all over again. Police use violence to maintain social control over black and Latino communities. Community outreach has been, and always will be, used as a non-violent means to pursue a violent goal.

Police need to stay the hell away from our children.

RDreamer

Welp, looks like every car had committed a violation, just as I had guessed. Shocked that a subset of the articles on this neglected it...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/08/02/va-police-officers-pulled-over-vehicles-gave-occupants-ice-cream/87948906/

Really shines a light on how fucked up policies are. If they can pull you over for a 'benevolent' reason whenever the fuck they want, they can pull you over for some other reason whenever the fuck they want. It's ridiculous. The more I think about the ice cream shit the more pissed off I get. It's like they think black people are children or something. "Here, let me distract you with ice cream! yay!" fuck off.

No, it abso-fucking-lutely is not:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...y-to-the-war-on-crime-review-elizabeth-hinton

Creating a positive relationship with the community is antithetical to the job of policing, particularly in African-american communities. You can't have "positive relations" with a an occupying paramilitary force. This is that 'winning hearts and minds' nonsense all over again. Police use violence to maintain social control over black and Latino communities. Community outreach has been, and always will be, used as a non-violent means to pursue a violent goal.

Police need to stay the hell away from our children.

I really don't think I agree with this at all. Yes the police force as of now acts as a paramilitary force against african-american and latino communities largely because of policies and racism, but I don't think in the ideal world it should be that. Police in white communities interact with children and everything's fine. They interact with the community as a whole and integrate themselves. They're seen as one of the community, there to protect and serve. How does separating them and othering their constituents serve overall goal? What exactly are you saying is the end goal here? Do you want them to be an occupying paramilitary force against everyone?

Again, I have said throughout this thread that the inherent policies of racism and training with our police force have to change first and I'm not here to argue that police getting into the communities is some sort of fix for any of the bullshit we're seeing. It isn't, and these videos are propaganda. When I talk about outreach, though, I'm talking about as an ideal and in conjunction with many other sweeping changes across the board.

Oh, this is about that weird ice cream cop video isn't it? When I first saw that I thought it was kinda gross and patronizing. I'm glad other people feel the same way.

Valhelm

contribute something
Damn. That's a rough read... The video may have been well-intentioned, but "Ha haaa! We aren't going to kill you!" isn't much of a prank...

Right. I wonder if those cops thought it would be funny to intimidate these citizens, or if they're so used to the one-sided power dynamic that they don't know other way to be friendly.

I'm not sure which is worse.

The only reason the cookout news story was acceptable cause it wasn't just a cookout and photo op but also BLM people discussing matters with the police during it. Questions were asked of the police chief. The questions weren't soft-balled, they were things like is the black community being bought off with food and is this feel-good event really helping much with racial profiling. The BLM people would still do the protest afterwards.

This case was an empty feel-good story that will encourage white people to share it in mass to placate the #notallcops crowd while non-whites just have to sigh that it doesn't go to improve racial profiling or police brutality.

I participated in the Wichita BBQ, and you're absolutely correct, punches weren't pulled. It may not have been endorsed by BLM, but it had more of an impact than I think some people gave it.

Really great post encapsulating how this sort of thing feels. Whether's it's officers putting post moves on kids with their gun holstered to their hip or officer friendly pulling you over for ice cream, neither really gives me the feel good vibes as intended.

Phediuk

You're completely wrong in thinking that.

Hope this helps.

Crayons

Banned
I really dislike the ice cream video...if a cop stopped me and my heart was beating at 200bpm and I'm an anxious mess and then I get told 'its just a prank bro' I'd be fucking pissed

collige

Banned

You should look into domestic violence stats for gay couples.

Mael

"Ahah I'm going to kill you...today"
Seems like a good message the police should send?

And police should ABSOLUTELY interact with the population, the whole point of the police is in theory to protect and serve after all.
Police should never be seen as an occupation force.
How the hell do policemen do their work with an hostile population?

I see conservatives on my FB feed constantly posting these videos. And as you can guess, they feel there is no reason for any reform.

adversarial

Pulling people over to give them ice cream? Scaring the shit out of them just to see the relief on their face when they realize they're not about to get terrorized? That's fucked. Great article.

BioHazard

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought that ice cream video was so dumb/patronizing. Too bad the vibe I got for others was UNANIMOUSLY "awwww, what a great video" with a mix of "I can't wait to see how those daggum liberals spin this one!"

That exact video was posted on a friends FB feed. Me and my sister had the same reaction. That lady looks terrified and this is totally fucked. Disgusting to see comments from people like aww what a nice video. It has to be an empathy problem these people have. Why can I see the terror but they can't?

Arkeband

Banned
Its the same thing as the restaurant meal thread we had a few weeks ago. Police demanding respect and bullying a scared populace into saying "thank you" with unasked-for "you're welcomes".

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I was once pulled over and given ice cream. I thought it was great! But this piece just opened my eyes to a darker side of these situations. As a white male, I'm not worried whenever I get pulled over, so it was just a pleasant surprise when I was given ice cream. At worst, I'd get a small fine (if I actually did something illegal). It's hard to put myself into the shoes of a black individual. I'd imagine, like the article says; its less of a surprise and more of a huge relief that you aren't somehow victimized.

I knew this viral video felt off. And its definitely the woman's face as the cop approached her vehicle.
As a white male, I would think you are more likely to be vicitimized by the cops than a black woman.

Volimar

Eh, I don't mind the stories really, but I'm not a fan of pulling people over to be nice to them. I prefer the cookout stories because it shows prolonged community interaction that helps combat the dehumanizing that many officers project onto the public they're meant to serve.

BokehKing

Banned
Cops bought me coffe and donuts after I got arrested, even let me sit in the front seat of the car. I mean I guess he felt bad because he told me he was arresting me for over time. Which was better than arresting me for what I was guilty of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom