• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cancelled Oblivion: PSP Revealed

Sakujou

Banned
i only saw the announcement no wonder that this got canned. no way that this would have run on a psp in a playable way.

AmyS

∀ Narayan;203948301 said:
Seeing footage for this produces the desire for a new King's Field game.

This, yes, so much.

That footage also produces the desire to see finished the cancelled 60fps RPG: Power Crystal for the cancelled Panasonic M2 console.

biCeQzL.jpg
GElO8Ev.jpg

PpZb4tr.jpg
1pQjzl5.jpg
circa 1996, 1997.

Borman

This, yes, so much.

That footage also produces the desire to see finished the cancelled 60fps RPG: Power Crystal for the cancelled Panasonic M2 console.

circa 1996, 1997.

Id love to have that. Any devs out there that worked on it?

AmyS

Id love to have that. Any devs out there that worked on it?

Yeah, would sure love to hear from any developers that worked on Power Crystal, like Andrew Whittaker, Dave Lago (at Perceptions UK (or Rebellion?)

I can't find any information about Perceptions developement studio or anything like that. Andrew Whittaker at Rebellion worked on Aliens vs Predator for the Atari Jaguar.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Looks awful (like Oblivion), but it's a neat technical little doodad. I mean how could anyone really want to play a game solely based on Oblivion's combat? Yikes.

Defuser

When I come to think of it. PSP is a treasure trove full of awesome games especially japanese games that went undiscovered. I wish Vita would have a fraction of PSP type of offerings instead of being a indie machine.

Mr.Fox

I don't understand why people are so mind-blown and even skeptical about the visuals/performance. New footage reminding of the PSP capabilities is always a bit impressive, and this one does look pretty good, but... did people completely forgot about the God of Wars, Final Fantasies, Metal Gears, etc?

dhonk

I don't understand why people are so mind-blown and even skeptical about the visuals/performance. New footage reminding of the PSP capabilities is always a bit impressive, and this one does look pretty good, but... did people completely forgot about the God of Wars, Final Fantasies, Metal Gears, etc?

Well, its kind of surprising for a cancelled game imo. Usually their FPS is poor / shitty. I know this was somewhat far along but still, I think thats where the surprise comes from.

A shame. Would love a portable ES title.

OP, would love it if you ever got your hands on Black and White: Creatures for the Nintendo DS/PSP. I'm just a bit down about the death of that series in general :/

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Climax helps keep my portables fed...

They are one of my favourite teams and they are quite talented with portable gaming. It's a shame they kind of disappeared after Shattered Memories but I've always been happy with their games.
I was surprised to see that they were developing this version.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nah i'm pretty sure Revelations started off as RE Portable but they switched platforms because of the 3DS tech.

"western developer", "different from the rest" and i don't remember what else we knew, what makes you think, racoon city or revelation?

"western developer", "different from the rest" and i don't remember what else we knew, what makes you think, racoon city or revelation?

Considering Slant Six Games had worked on two SOCOM titles for PSP as well, I wouldn't be shocked if that game became Operation Raccoon City either.

camo

I picked up a PSP Go literally two days ago - It's like the planets have aligned themselves for me….now all I need is the ISO and my daily commute on the piss wagon will be less tedious...Huzzah!

CamHostage

Considering Slant Six Games had worked on two SOCOM titles for PSP as well, I wouldn't be shocked if that game became Operation Raccoon City either.

Also the art released at E3 to announce the game, while not specifically indicative of Operation Raccoon City (and also not necessarily from the PSP game itself, it could have just mocked up for the event) was probably more like the game that ORC is than Revelations. Plus there's not much "tech" to Resident Evil Revelations that's PSP-like (it runs on MT Framework, which was not used on PSP) despite the seeming 'similarity' of hardware generations. There was weird talk that all the guesses were wrong and that it really was Revelations that was to be the PSP game (maybe the script was being made for one game and the multiplayer component was being made for another and at some point the whole project swapped studios/destinations somehow? or maybe RE PSP was never any more but a logo and a handshake deal?), but it's the better guess overall that RE OCR was what became of RE PSP.

RE%20PSP.jpg

Speaking of that, I'm surprised that nothing more came of Resident Evil PSP over the years. Slant Six is gone, all those guys are floating around the business, and although it was a relatively small studio that I would imagine would be difficult to hide their connection to a leak, I still think it'd be safe all these years now to sneak some old stuff out (if Slant Six was still running then that'd be a different story but I've not heard of anybody getting real punishment for letting concept work leak from a dead company?) or at least confirm in talk. I'd love to know how much was actually done before the E3 2009 announcement, and what happened to the project to make it vaporware. Anybody know a somebody who used to work for S6?

Hopefully this won't derail this particular Elder Scrolls PSP thread too much; I'd just love to wake up some day and find a fresh new "The Cancelled Resident EVil: PSP Revealed" thread on GAF just like this one...

A lot of people straight up forgot about the PSP.

Even in its prime, the only PSP I ever actually saw was the one on that South Park episode.

It is a forgotten console with a forgotten library. People have no idea what is has to offer. Many people who bought Vitas end up surprised just how much PSP Classics has to offer, even with games like Kingdom Hearts and Crisis Core not available digitally.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I would have killed for this title back in the day. Fucking awesome.

I always knew it was in development, they even had it on the Bethesda website I believe. Sad to see it never came to fruition.

Takao

Banned
Put me in the RE PSP became ORC camp. Outside of Monster Hunter and the occasional Sengoku Basara, Capcom Japan wasn't doing much on PSP at the time.

Definitely a crazy little tech showcase that could well have been---I guess this might've been an equivalent niche for the PSP, had it made it all the way, that Fighting Fantasy was for the old DS.

I never even heard of that Power Crystal game either----can't get enough of cases like that and I sorely wish the entire lot of such things were more known and organized for posterity at the least!

Top Bottom