• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division - 15 minutes of new gameplay

Tainted

Can't wait to hear reports on the PC version, apparently the NDA is still active on that version for another week. It will be nice to see how this all looks at 60fps+

Looks really fun, despite some of those sponge-enemies that I don't feel fit well in the Clancy universe.

Unfortunately, no beta for me. I'll be out of town right before it starts to a few days after it ends. Grief has me close to jumping into the PC version over PS4. Partially depends on where many of DestinyGAF is going.

DrBo42

The subtlety of hit reaction and little AI attempt at avoidance are really the things that upset me. It's something Destiny gets right for the most part. I can't really get with a dude dressed as a bum having little to no reaction or self preservation while taking loads of automatic fire and shotgun rounds. Think it's one of those things you just have to get over after the playing the game for a while but it's pretty jarring to watch.

Yikes, this vid is doing its best to turn me off of the game completely. Gunplay couldn't look any less interesting. I was almost coming around on this after seeing the leaked Alpha videos and being enticed by the idea of a highly detailed and seamless, desolate, winter season Manhattan, but these encounters........

Still going to try the Beta because I like the look of the game (and that cover vault animation, jesus), but I'm not expecting much anymore. I would've been way more interested if this were a straight up spec ops open world co-op shooter.

Senhua

E0gVn80.png

Will post my impressions later.

Furyous

I'm of two drastically different minds on this game and need help choosing how to decide to buy this game.

Evil Mind:

This game looks like a third person version of that one popular FPS with a neverending DLC cycle. Yes, environments are richer but it comes down to the same mechanics from non final impressions of course: go here, kill a few guys, walk down a corridor, kill a few more guys, walk down a corridor, kill a few more guys, walk down a corridor, fight bullet sponge boss for five minutes and evac. Only 15 story missions is fuckery personified.

Good Mind:

This game looks great. The RPG system looks fun and the idea of unlocking different parts of the base is cool. The mechanics could change upon release as nothing is known about single player mission variety. Give me a stealth section to let loose pls. I'm a PvE kinda guy so at least the unlock system gives me something to play for.

Should I buy this game or wait for reviews?

This won't be a day one purchase but possibly a day 66 purchase. It just depends on the impressions and reviews. How does Giant Bomb feel about this game?

no1dead

Banned
I don't get it why is everyone bashing the Xbox One footage? It's not going to be the E3 footage we saw because those were PC. It looks great on the Xbox One.

Yikes, this vid is doing its best to turn me off of the game completely. Gunplay couldn't look any less interesting. I was almost coming around on this after seeing the leaked Alpha videos and being enticed by the idea of a highly detailed and seamless, desolate, winter season Manhattan, but these encounters........

Still going to try the Beta because I like the look of the game (and that cover vault animation, jesus), but I'm not expecting much anymore. I would've been way more interested if this were a straight up spec ops open world co-op shooter.

Woah I just noticed in that video that those guns are extremely underleveled a level 5 blue pistol has more power than that. Yeah those are really really really underpowered. In the alpha I had 3 guns all with over 1500 damage, and remember this is at level 5-6 not 20 like these guys.

Net_Wrecker it'll be easier for you to play the game and see what you think of it.

tebunker

Banned
The Dark Zone gameplay mechanics looks REALLY fun and tense, especially the extraction.

Holy... I am at the exact opposite of many of you: this game went from completely ignored by my radar to an all high want, hahah. It even has a nice character creator! And I do love me some nice character creator, hahaha.

I am kind of in the same boat, those videos check off so many boxes for me, but hey, guess what, beta in two weeks, so i will know for sure how it makes me feel. I have no problem bailing on something after a beta, and nothing lets you know if you will like a game better than playing it.

Also, this Beta is probably final code. 1 month from ship, yeah, this game is gold, and the beta is more of a stress test than anything else.

Tagyhag

I don't get it why is everyone bashing the Xbox One footage? It's not going to be the E3 footage we saw because those were PC. It looks great on the Xbox One.

Let's be honest, the PC version won't look like the E3 footage. How many times does Ubisoft have to do this before people pick up on it?

GHG

Don't know if it's been posted yet but video from JackFrags with some extra details:

youtube.com/watch?v=L2rT35dr-Rk

- Xbox one version is not 1080p
- Xbox One version appears to run at 30fps
- Clear framedrops below 30fps on the Xbox one when there are a lot of enemy's and explosions on the screen
- Didn't get a chance to play/see the PS4 version
- Can't talk about the PC version yet but he did play it... But he did say he will be getting the game on the PC
- Local directional voice chat in the dark zone which makes it easier to communicate with random PVP players you encounter
- Up to 24 other PVP players in the dark zone (could be more in the final game)
- Played for 3 hours and found it fun and polished

Woah I just noticed in that video that those guns are extremely underleveled a level 5 blue pistol has more power than that. Yeah those are really really really underpowered. In the alpha I had 3 guns all with over 1500 damage, and remember this is at level 5-6 not 20 like these guys.

Net_Wrecker it'll be easier for you to play the game and see what you think of it.

I'll play the Beta and am open to changing my mind, I just don't think that will happen. Regardless of if the weapons were under-leveled in that video, there's too much RPG in the combat feedback for my tastes, at a core level. It's not even like Mass Effect 2/3 where you have the impact of Biotic attacks and nice looking effects popping off during combat, this just looks kind of lifeless. Love the environment, love the movement animations, love the gear and weapons, but the combat doesn't sit right with me. Still concerned about the game's pacing and mission design as well.

How varied is the environment supposed to be? Snowy street number 16 isn't gonna be as fresh as the first.

The premise is that the bioattack takes place on Black Friday and the players enter the area before everything is completely lost.. so it should start in Winter and change over time.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Don't know if it's been posted yet but video from JackFrags with some extra details:

youtube.com/watch?v=L2rT35dr-Rk

- Xbox one version is not 1080p
- Xbox One version appears to run at 30fps
- Clear framedrops below 30fps on the Xbox one when there are a lot of enemy's and explosions on the screen
- Didn't get a chance to play/see the PS4 version
- Can't talk about the PC version yet but he did play it... But he did say he will be getting the game on the PC
- Local directional voice chat in the dark zone which makes it easier to communicate with random PVP players you encounter
- Up to 24 other PVP players in the dark zone (could be more in the final game)
- Played for 3 hours and found it fun and polished

Can't fucking wait.

Sucks, it's coming on my work weekend, and I work night shift. So I'll only be able to play in the mornings, and not for very long. (And not with any of my day shift friends).

Still though, it will be nice to get a feel for it.

Really hoping the PC version still has most of the Snowdrop engine features intact. Also hope it runs well at 4K.

I don't think stronger weapons will suddenly make the combat look any more impactful other than down enemies in less hits. The weak hit reactions and bad AI will still be there.

M.W.

I loved the alpha. I will love the beta. I will love The Division.

The game was a joy to play. I thought the alpha on X1 looked incredible.

Wish this wasn't multiplayer. The world/setting looks so good and realistic in terms of the immediate effects of mass evacuation but the potential atmosphere is ruined with the lame back and forth shooting gallery stuff with other players. Would be cool to have a game like this that doesn't involve shooting and is just about survival in a major city like I Am Legend the game.
I Am Alive is pretty much that if you haven't played it yet. One of the only survival games with zero supernatural elements. Platforming itself depletes stamina. Between long plaforming sessions, you'll have to put a piton to act as a rest stop. Gotta scavenge for resources. Help survivors. Can't stay on ground level in the city because of the dust for too long, so have to climb up. Enemy encounters can be dealt with a gun even if you have no bullets, so you point it at them to raise their hands so they back away and even kick them off a ledge or perform an execution on them. If you take too long in pointing the gun, they'll recognise you got nothing so will come after you. If you have a bow and arrow though, you can switch to that and take them out but know they're not scared. Shit is tense, actually challenging which is unusual for a game from Ubisoft that wants to make games beatable for everyone.

kyser73

the screen tearing is horrible. I hope the PS4 version doesn't have that.

I'm so happy someone else noticed this. I was all 'Is it me? Is it YT? Capture?' then I watched the Jack Frags and also noticed it...

Game looks good tho - the difference in playstyle between the OP video and Jack showed how movement can make or break a TPS when it comes to emergent gameplay.

I've skimmed through thread so far...does anyone know if much info has been released about how the matchmaking works in the game?

E.g. in the normal PvE world can people you meet in the world just join your team or do they have to load out and load back in?

Whem roaming the world where is the time for matchmaking hidden? Does MM only occur when moving from one map area to the next?

In a certain other game the matchmaking was hidden in the time travelling between areas. In certain missions you need other people to help you, so you were much better off deliberately travelling slowly to give MM a longer time to find people.

Are the darkzone PvP areas P2P hosted or dedicated servers? P2P will lead to endless debates about host advantage and people deliberately lagging to get an advantage when rogue.

I really hope there is some good endgame stuff. If there isn't a big PvP mode then we'll need a reason to keep going back to the darkzone.

Just imagine if this gane has the equivalent of the gjallarhorn, and you get it to drop...and then you have to wait 90 seconds at the extraction zone to get it out.... Brutal.

Lastly I really, really, hope they have a troll achievement/trophy for closing every car door in NY! :)

cripterion

I may be wrong here but wasn't the game originally for consoles and had to get a petition to get the pc version going? I fear a pc delay. Especially knowing Ubisoft.

Tainted

I may be wrong here but wasn't the game originally for consoles and had to get a petition to get the pc version going? I fear a pc delay. Especially knowing Ubisoft.

Seeing as though the closed beta for the PC is running simultaneously with the console versions, I dont think so

Yoday

I'm so happy someone else noticed this. I was all 'Is it me? Is it YT? Capture?' then I watched the Jack Frags and also noticed it...

Game looks good tho - the difference in playstyle between the OP video and Jack showed how movement can make or break a TPS when it comes to emergent gameplay.
Screen tearing is pretty noticeable to me in general, but I don't recall it being an issue during the Alpha. If it was there, it was pretty minimal.

Theorry

Had the same in the alpha. Thought it ran quite smooth. Had some big framedrops but those happenend when i walked alone through a little area when nothing really went on. So that felt for me like a typical alpha thing.

Yeah think I'll cancel my pre order for this. It's not looking hot. I guess I was taken by the initial reveal and setting (and cheap preorder price). I can't see me enjoying the gameplay here.

I think it's winter all the time. I believe a dev came out and said it's set in winter and that there will be dynamic weather but no season change. I hope i'm wrong though.

Not seasons. But this is apparently supposed to be a feature.
image_tom_clancy_s_the_division-23870-2751_0004.jpg

Angry Joe talking abit about the pc version.

https://youtu.be/PpPLATt94n0?t=54m53s

Youi heard it from Angry Joe first, "They're doing a lot for the PC version.", and "The PC version looks far better than the console version". Hold me.

aHere he refers to a list of enhancements that come with the pc version. According to him it looks far better than the console versions.

EDIT:Apparently beaten. ._.

As does every game on a pc though if it's a good PC? lol

Anyway, one thing I agree in with a lot of impressions, the AI are pure shit. They just stand in the open and take shot. Really poor design choice IMO.

Top Bottom