• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The evolution of the video game

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The evolution of video games has been a fascinating process and has seen a number of significant advances since its inception.

How we got from starting are this

to this

The impact of video games on today's society is broad and diverse, as they have gone from being a form of niche entertainment to becoming one of the most influential cultural industries in the world.

Before, companies of cinema, mocked and belittled the lack of importance of the video game industry, where it is now as giant as cinema.

The games have now diversified, where you can find almost a perfect difference between the real and the fictional.

Where it is almost compared to an art film production

Where the limit was presented

Now the worlds are almost limitless

Where the action was fun

And now it's real

Where an adventure began.

https://youtu.be/A6sdvTUh9II?t=3106

Now the adventure is part of the world in which he finds himself.

https://youtu.be/L_LW2Hk2At4?t=16

The advancement of technology where we do not know what else the future holds.

https://youtu.be/SAKbtJjAV18

https://youtu.be/u5L9Mvh7tAk?t=1

In the following decades the video game industry continued to innovate and improve, sometimes with risky bets such as that of the Nintendo Wii, whose introduction of motion sensors in most games divided the audience. New competitors appeared, such as Sony and Microsoft, while SEGA finally had to get off the console ship to focus on developing games. Even so, with its difficulties and crises, the video game industry remains active and fitter than ever.

The video game industry has changed so much in 30 years that it is difficult for the imagination to know what games and players will be like in the future. After all, it is a sector that is not even a century old. But it is clear that technological evolution will go hand in hand with video games, and the trends that the sector is taking will develop more and more in the coming years.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

it is clear that technological evolution will go hand in hand with video games,
You got that mixed up, it's video games that go hand in hand with technological evolution. The video game industry is not pushing technology ahead, it's the technology that pushes video games forward.

Also, interesting to see you only take into account the last 30 years. You don't think jumping from screen overlays in Odyssey 2 to Super Mario Bros 3 is as impressive?

Shut0wen

Banned
K9V4Bt6.jpeg
mfw the video game

magnumpy

I think of the "holodeck" from "star trek: tng" as a future form of video games. yes its purely fictional and not intended to be a realistic view of the future, but for lack of anything better, well it's good to have dreams anywy xD

SHA

Everything except the plot is getting weider and more sexist, the rise of the "what demographic x expect/want from game makers" is seriously scary.

Woopah

Bullshit, movie tickets don't cost $60 - $70. Very few games hit the cultural zeitgeist. It's still a male dominated audience.
It's not that male dominated. Last year's Circana research found that:

41% of PS5s in the US are female owned

45% of Xbox Series consoles are female owned

52% of Swich consoles are female owned

50% of gaming PCs are female owned

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Yeah but how many of those are actual females and not "females"? :pie_thinking:

nush

Gold Member
Let’s discuss amicably. Attack the argument, not the user.

Purchased on moms credit card. Dipshit.

Woopah

Because you are. Now show me the stats that show PSN, XBL, Nintendo Online, Steam accounts are owned by women with the same percentage.

TintoConCasera TintoConCasera has already called out "Identifying as" correctly.
I'm trying to have a civil discussion. No idea why you feel the need to insult.

I did some research and I don't believe that Valve or the platform holders officially release the information you have requested. What I did find is Sony saying that 41% of PS4/PS5 owners are female. Which matches what Circana said.

nush

Gold Member
I'm trying to have a civil discussion. No idea why you feel the need to insult.

I did some research and I don't believe that Valve or the platform holders officially release the information you have requested. What I did find is Sony saying that 41% of PS4/PS5 owners are female. Which matches what Circana said.
What’s the distinction between owners and users? How do they know who “owns” the console? Did they poll their users and get a 100% response rate? What data they do have is the person that brought the console.

I managed a big Amazon account, I could see who owned the account that brought the product. It was not the demographic that used our product. Mums credit card.

If the owner stats are like you say GAF would not be a total sausage fest or any other gaming discussion platform. “Sony says” why don’t you use some critical thinking here instead of regurgitating marketing talking points?

Woopah

What’s the distinction between owners and users? How do they know who “owns” the console? Did they poll their users and get a 100% response rate? What data they do have is the person that brought the console.

I managed a big Amazon account, I could see who owned the account that brought the product. It was not the demographic that used our product. Mums credit card.

If the owner stats are like you say GAF would not be a total sausage fest or any other gaming discussion platform. “Sony says” why don’t you use some critical thinking here instead of regurgitating marketing talking points?
Well for the Circana data it was based on their PlayerPulse people of people who were over the age of 13 and had played a video game in the last 30 days. The owner of the credit card would have 0 effect.

For Sony's presentation to its investors, it lists the source as:

"SIE Global Platform Experience Tracker (Breakthrough)
PlayStation registration information (IDG)"

The same slide showed that the majority of PlayStation users were over 25. So the number of PS owners buying things with their Mum's credit card is likely to be small.

I agree that if you did an analysis of credit card users, you might see something different. But the figures I've shown you aren't based on credit card information.

GAF is not representive of the wider gaming market. Our demographics here aren't going to match the community who use consoles.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

The fact that people bought that nonsense poll is frightening.

Because you are.
Probably the most unnecessary use of the word "dipshit" I ever seen on this site... About such a light topic too. Genuinely pathetic...

The fact that people bought that nonsense poll is frightening.
Also, I don't know what metric you are using to say that the research was nonsense... When other researches have shown that male to female gaming percentages are around the 50s for men, and 40s for women. If you have one, do tell me, I mean no aggression in my response to you.

I'm not even saying that it isn't nonsense or that it is, even if I knew the answer, I wouldn't care, because I have no idea how the number of women that play video games is in anyway important, beyond just going "Wow, that's neat to know".

If those are true, gaming is still more populated with men then women. But is not DOMINATED by men, like Woopah Woopah Said.

Why is that a problem?
Not to you, Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes
But to nush nush

Woopah

Probably the most unnecessary use of the word "dipshit" I ever seen on this site... About such a light topic too. Genuinely pathetic...

Also, I don't know what metric you are using to say that the research was nonsense... When other researches have shown that male to female gaming percentages are around the 50s for men, and 40s for women. If you have one, do tell me, I mean no aggression in my response to you.

I'm not even saying that it isn't nonsense or that it is, even if I knew the answer, I wouldn't care, because I have no idea how the number of women that play video games is in anyway important, beyond just going "Wow, that's neat to know".

If those are true, gaming is still more populated with men then women. But is not DOMINATED by men, like Woopah Woopah Said.

Why is that a problem?
But to nush nush
Thank you for bringing some sanity here.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Why is that a problem?
But to nush nush

I have interacted with many women throughout my life. Almost 0% have been what I would call "console / PC gamers".

I have consumed much media targeted at women in my life. Almost 0% of it references console & PC videogames.

I won't be convinced that THAT much anecdotal evidence is off by that much.

Woopah

I have interacted with many women throughout my life. Almost 0% have been what I would call "console / PC gamers".

I have consumed much media targeted at women in my life. Almost 0% of it references console & PC videogames.

Well that's why we don't just use anecdotal evidence. I know quite a few women who own consoles, but obviously my own anecdotal evidence isn't as strong as data from Circana or Sony.

Woopah

We use anecdotal evidence every day of our lives. It's how we make decisions based on things that haven't been polled yet.

Some people lack a BS meter.
When Sony reports a gender % to their investors, they are not going to use anecdotal evidence.

Because anecdotal evidence is not particularly representilative or accurate.
Bet you it's not 50%.

Bet you it's not 20% either.
From console owners I know its between 30% and 40% female, depending on how you count it

Woopah

Press F to doubt.
Based on what exactly? What sort of details/information are you wanting me to provide?

Again this is why we don't use anecdotal evidence. If almost 0% of women you know play console games, then that is very very different from my life experience.

Last edited:

No offense meant, but your argument that the research is nonsense is actually nothing.

Because I can tell you that I have met plenty of console and PC female gamers. I'm not saying this as a gatcha, I literally have, in my day to day life and online.

I'm not saying your anecdotes aren't real, I don't believe you are lying. I'm saying that it's completely irrelevant to the research. Just like mine are too.
There are people with anecdotes like yours and mine.

The research is completely separate.

I don't understand why you and nush nush are being so contrarian about this research...

There's no reason to be.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No offense meant, but your argument that the research is nonsense is actually nothing.

Because I can tell you that I have met plenty of console and PC female gamers. I'm not saying this as a gatcha, I literally have, in my day to day life and online.

I'm not saying your anecdotes aren't real, I don't believe you are lying. I'm saying that it's completely irrelevant to the research. Just like mine are too.
There are people with anecdotes like yours and mine.

The research is completely separate.

I don't understand why you and nush nush are being so contrarian about this research...

There's no reason to be.
Look at the words you're choosing.

Me: No way in hell it's close to 50/50.
You: I have met many female gamers.

Your statement doesn't contradict mine. If 5% of console players are female, then you can meet "many female console players."

I'm sorry, but the console market is not 50% female. The details of the poll were not revealed for a reason and that reason is to trick the uncritical mind.

Based on what exactly? What sort of details/information are you wanting me to provide?

Again this is why we don't use anecdotal evidence. If almost 0% of women you know play console games, then that is very very different from my life experience.
I'm just gonna back off this one.

I know Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes is a self-admitted contrarian, and I do enjoy talking to him and reading his threads, genuinely.

But anyone that genuinely believes that research is bullshit, because they themselves don't know that many or any female gamers, needs to reconsider how they base their positions. What is seen, what is experienced, changes from person to person. Data and research exists for a reason.

And I hate to be that guy, but I very much believe that for some it just comes from a place of sexism... Which is very boring.

Call me a cuck or whatever, but when I watched a recording of one of the Final Fantasy 14 expansion trailers, being shown to an audience, and the screams of excitement came from both men and women, that feels nice.

I don't like sausage parties, or ________ parties (I don't know what the female equivalent of sausage parties is).
Look at the words you're choosing.

Me: No way in hell it's close to 50/50.
You: I have met many female gamers.

Your statement doesn't contradict mine. If 5% of console players are female, then you can meet "many female console players."

I'm sorry, but the console market is not 50% female. The details of the poll were not revealed for a reason and that reason is to trick the uncritical mind.
"I feel that way".

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I know Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes is a self-admitted contrarian, and I do enjoy talking to him and reading his threads, genuinely.

But anyone that genuinely believes that research is bullshit, because they themselves don't know that many or any female gamers, needs to reconsider how they base their positions. What is seen, what is experienced, changes from person to person. Data and research exists for a reason.

And I hate to be that guy, but I very much believe that for some it just comes from a place of sexism... Which is very boring.

Call me a cuck or whatever, but when I watched a recording of one of the Final Fantasy 14 expansion trailers, being shown to an audience, and the screams of excitement came from both men and women, that feels nice.

I don't like sausage parties, or ________ parties (I don't know what the female equivalent of sausage parties is).

"I feel that way".

The research is only BS in that they hide how they got their "data".

Being skeptical when there's a blatant lack of transparency should be a given.

nush

Gold Member

They still haven’t disputed my fact that women are the owners of the consoles becuse they are the ones buying them for their kids.

Woopah

Who has a blatant lack of transparency?

Source from Sony's slide to investors:

"SIE Global Platform Experience Tracker (Breakthrough)
PlayStation registration information (IDG)"

Source of Circana's data:

"Circana conducts a monthly survey of US active gamers over the age of 13. Surveys are fielded online, via PC and mobile devices, drawing from a nationally representative pool. Respondents qualify on the basis of having played games in the past month (30 days).

To ensure consistency across samples and correct for any biases/errors, Circana implements a weighting system for each monthly dataset based on representative distributions of platform use and platform investment.

Circana’s models are based on aggregated, cross-product samples, and are updated quarterly to account for market shifts."

They still haven’t disputed my fact that women are the owners of the consoles becuse they are the ones buying them for their kids.
I've disputed it. Why would a woman buying a console for her son/daughter meaningfully affect the different data sets shown above?

The data isn't based on the credit card information of who bought the console.

Last edited:

Woopah

Exactly.

Makes no sense to discount data from Circana or Sony just because someone doesn't know any female gamers in their own life.

Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes and I clearly have different experiences. I believe his account of his own life, but for some reason he's decided I'm a liar.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes and I clearly have different experiences. I believe his account of his own life, but for some reason he's decided I'm a liar.
I actually don't think you're lying.

All you've said is "I've known plenty of females who game on console", which doesn't refute my claim that it's nowhere close to 50%. You've taken your claim, and then wholeheartedly bought into the Circadia poll without an ounce of skepticism. Could you answer the following 5 questions?

Are there any polls you think that are unreliable? If so, which polls?

Why is it when you watch movies or TV targeting the female audience, the topic of gaming almost never comes up? If 50% of core gamers are women, shouldn't we see it reflected here?

Why is it when you watch TV that targets the male audience, you get videogame commercials but with the opposite...you don't?

Why is it when you go into a GameStop or Walmart games section, it's always a sausage fest?

Why is it that the bulk of console games center around violence rather than themes that appeal to women?

Woopah

I actually don't think you're lying.

All you've said is "I've known plenty of females who game on console", which doesn't refute my claim that it's nowhere close to 50%. You've taken your claim, and then wholeheartedly bought into the Circadia poll without an ounce of skepticism. Could you answer the following 5 questions?

What I said was "From console owners I know, its between 30% and 40% female, depending on how you count it.". Your reply was "press F to doubt". I took that to mean that you doubted I was telling the truth, but apologies if that wasn't what you meant.

I wrote down a list of friends/family who I know play on the most recent generations of consoles (PS4 onwards) and it was 37.5% women, 62.5% men. Again the number could be different depending on who you do or do not count.

Happy to answer your 5 questions.

Are there any polls you think that are unreliable? If so, which polls?

If a poll is an amateur one, say for example on a gaming forum or social media, I don't believe it would be particularly representative. When a poll is done by a professional company such as YouGov or Circana, then I put more weight behind its results. I reviewed the methodology shared by Circana and it makes sense to me (though obviously I am not a professional pollster).

Either way, a professional poll is certainly more representative than my own personal experiences.

Why is it when you watch movies or TV targeting the female audience, the topic of gaming almost never comes up? If 50% of core gamers are women, shouldn't we see it reflected here?
Maybe the % of "core gamers" to the overall gamers is higher for men than it is for women.

Why is it when you watch TV that targets the male audience, you get videogame commercials but with the opposite...you don't?
I don't believe this to be true. I see video game commercials targeting women fairly regularly. Below are a couple of examples I've seen in the UK:

Why is it when you go into a GameStop or Walmart games section, it's always a sausage fest?
We don't have GameStop or Walmart here so I can't answer that. The cheapest way to get games here is to order them online.

Why is it that the bulk of console games center around violence rather than themes that appeal to women?
Traditionally gaming has been male dominated (18% of PS1 owners were women per Sony's data) and it's true a lot of games have focused on violence. But my counter point would be:
  • There are popular games that don't focus a lot on violence
  • Women can consume media with violence in it as well
Counterpoint questions:

1.You said "there's a blatant lack of transparency". What did you mean by that?

2. When we have Sony telling investors the % of PlayStation Account owners over the age of 13 who are female, why would we ignore that information? Why decide its more accurate to judge the PlayStation userbase with personal, anecdotal metrics like "people I saw in Walmart" or "mentions of gaming in TV shows I've seen."

That's not critical thinking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom