• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fate of the Furious / Fast and Furious 8 *SPOILER THREAD*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the the green screen was distractingly bad. Especially the scene in the snow before they take on the Russians and the rooftop scene in NY at the end. Not shooting the latter on location is inexusable IMO.

Elena got fucked over by Michelle Rodriguez so bad.

The retcons are making things pretty weird at this point.

- Lettie dies, so Dom shacks up with Elena
- Oh wait, Lettie's alive, lol fuck you Elena
- Oh by the way, Dom and Lettie secretly got married before she 'died'. You sure moved on pretty quick, Dom
- Guess what, Dom and Elena had a baby, but she didn't want to tell him about it because she was having fun raising a kid as a single mother on a Brazilian cop's salary, I guess?

Killing Elena off really is the ultimate "fuck you", though. They basically brought back her character just to give Lettie and Dom an instant kid without having any of the fuss of a pregnant character in an action movie, then they put Elena in the ground when they were done with her so it wouldn't be awkward.

Vic_Viper

Did Dom and Lettie get married before she "died"? I thought it was right before this movie started.

Movie was good but man they should have just ended it with 7. If anything, The Rock and Statham should just take over this series. Too much Dom is not a good thing lol.

We promised not to involve Brian in this, but hes totally still around with Mia, let name Dom's kid after him.

norm9

Movie was good but man they should have just ended it with 7. If anything, The Rock and Statham should just take over this series. Too much Dom is not a good thing lol.

We promised not to involve Brian in this, but hes totally still around with Mia, let name Dom's kid after him.

There is a lot of sentiment in this thread and elsewhere that they should just take over the series. I'm a big nope on that because I don't buy the Rock as a car driver. Obviously Statham yes because he's the Transporter and a Mechanic in his spare time, but the Rock is just a giant superhero meat man. In a series about fast cars (not really, but really because they always need a fast cars scene), the Rock would not be "believable."

- Guess what, Dom and Elena had a baby, but she didn't want to tell him about it because she was having fun raising a kid as a single mother on a Brazilian cop's salary, I guess

I agree it sucks Elena got shafted, but also she doesnt have a Brazilian cop's salary anymore as whatever her new position is/was it was with Hobbs.

I'm still kind of peeve that they would readily accept Deckard into the group, not even a Roman quip about him being an enemy who killed a friend....they probably know something we don't. Overall fun movie, interested to see where they go from here.

kai3345

Banned
Ya they kinda cut down on the cheesecake in this one which was for the better, I think

7 is still hilarious for the bit where they have to break into an armored car to get Ramsey and their entire plan was 'eh, let Brian in a hoodie handle it'

cut DOWN on the cheesecake?

breh did you not see the haka or baby scenes

Vic_Viper

There is a lot of sentiment in this thread and elsewhere that they should just take over the series. I'm a big nope on that because I don't buy the Rock as a car driver. Obviously Statham yes because he's the Transporter and a Mechanic in his spare time, but the Rock is just a giant superhero meat man. In a series about fast cars (not really, but really because they always need a fast cars scene), the Rock would not be "believable."

Oh completely agree. The Rock should never be the "car" guy, but they still have a huge cast of car lovers to take his place. If they do a spin off like they talked about it should stay away from the whole car racing stuff since their characters are pretty much members of Cruise's MI team. Really dont want this series to turn into a foe Transporter series, but they need to do something new.

I wasnt too impressed with how they used Scott Eastwood in the movie, but if done right in the next one he could end up taking Brian's place in the series as the team leader.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

- Oh by the way, Dom and Lettie secretly got married before she 'died'. You sure moved on pretty quick, Dom
- Guess what, Dom and Elena had a baby, but she didn't want to tell him about it because she was having fun raising a kid as a single mother on a Brazilian cop's salary, I guess?

Killing Elena off really is the ultimate "fuck you", though. They basically brought back her character just to give Lettie and Dom an instant kid without having any of the fuss of a pregnant character in an action movie, then they put Elena in the ground when they were done with her so it wouldn't be awkward.

Yeah, its basically trying to give Dom and Letty a kid without having Letty sit out a movie or have the kid between movies. The movie allocates its time oddly. Like Hobbs spends more time (and emotion) on mourning Deckard than he does with Elena. By all accounts those two would still be close...They worked together up until the events of 7. Now obviously Hobbs wouldn't even know about Elena dying until after Dom shifts back, but the movie kinda wants to sail right by that moment.

The endings for these movies start to feel hollow cause you just never get huge payoff. They introduce a main antagonist and like a mini antagonist. The mini always gets it, the main sticks around and becomes part of The Family.

Someone mentioned earlier about never remembering any direct dialogue exchanges between The Rock and Vin. Thinking on it it that seems about right and points to their supposed behind the scenes beef being even worse than it seems. Makes me wonder how they will handle it in the future.

Knew she was gone when they introduced the kid, considering the previous conversation about Lettie wanting a kid. God Elena getting thrown to the curb was bad, but the way they treated her here as a prop to throw the kid to Dom/Lettie was super shitty. Not like I gave a fuck about her to start with, but doing shit like that doesn't help.

Watch them welcome Charlize Theron into the group even though she killed Elena and threatened to kill a baby. "Well you see it was technically Tormund Giantsbane who killed Elena and The Patriots made me kidnap them."

5-6-7 had ass ahoy

7 in particular was real blatant

Did you miss the barely covered ass cheeks on the Cuban flag girl? I feel like all the movies have that one part where all the street racers and sexy girls gather and then after that it's back to being serious. This had some ass shots but it wasn't awkwardly lingering on them.

Im thinking they just couldnt brutally kill two women in one movie, so since Theron is a pretty big star they left her alive "just in case."

Also, as far as i recall, no back and forth dialog beteeen rock and diesel. Diesel rammed rock off the road then rock yelled at diesel about what he was doing and that he could still fix it. But diesel never spoke a word to rock, just picked up the emp and walked off.

Movie was fun. Felt different without Paul's character. But, Statham was nice addition to the team. That plane fight was hilarious and badass.

Really hope we get more of Deckard and Owen teaming up in the next one. Even in their brief time together, they had fun banter.

The movie was okay. Needs Paul, and that isn't going to change.

The biggest thing to me that just rubbed me the wrong way was that 2 of the family were killed because of the Shaw brothers, but they're sitting down at a BB-Q together? Gtfo.

Rymuth

Charlize's biggest problems is that her methods don't fit her internal logical, like the rest of the series villains. Both Shaws acted in ways that suited their character - Charlize is supposed to be super smart yet she sends Dom alone to do most of these jobs. Like, I get it, he can defeat his team but surely sending atleast three or four to assist him would've severely hampered any escape attempts.

Also, you really expected him to turn when you had his son hostage? I'm not sure if they were going for 'robot girl who doesn't comprehend emotions' to 'madly in love with Dom and wants to corrupt him'

Terrible.

Elena got fucked over by Michelle Rodriguez so bad.
In more ways than one. She was just a baby machine to give Lettie a child without letting her have down time for pregnancy.

Awful.

UFO

Banned
I wonder how they raise the stakes for the next movie. Outer space? Dom building a supped up 70's Charger moon rover?

Speevy

Banned
In more ways than one. She was just a baby machine to give Lettie a child without giving him a down time for pregnancy. Awful.

It's for the best, I suppose. Both characters are 10 years younger than their actors. Having Michelle Rodriguez walking around with a fake baby belly at 40 would be as big of a suspension of disbelief as Dom's 32 year old 20 something from the original film.

I wonder how they raise the stakes for the next movie. Outer space? Dom building a supped up 70's Charger moon rover?

Either space or journey to the center of the earth. Plus aliens. Or they find Cipher has been genetically manipulating Han's genes...

1275389642_turbo-teen.gif

Sir Doom

Not bad enjoyed it.
I'm ready for Rock Statham, and Brother spin off with Han resurrected.
I like Cipher because it's Charlize

I think Dom and team needs to go old school no huge organization helping them

Darkangel

The Cuban car race scene at the beginning was amazing. I actually kind of miss the simplicity of a good old fashioned street race.

I definitely felt the absence of Brian and didn't really enjoy the non-action scenes. Scott Eastwood has potential, as does Jason Statham's character. Kind of weird how they don't care about him killing Han anymore...

UFO

Banned
The Cuban car race scene at the beginning was amazing. I actually kind of miss the simplicity of a good old fashioned street race.

I couldn't get over just how much better, but also different the race scene looked compared to past movies. Some really impressive CG.

The opening of Furious 7 was weird to me because you see Luke Evans a in hospital bed and he looks just fine. Then Statham goes and kills Han for it and vows to kill the whole crew over it. And now he's just a good dude who was disavowed for being caught during a black ops mission and it's like...oh. I thought he was just an evil dude with a disproportionate revenge complex.

whoszed

Liked the movie and had a pretty big smile on my face for most of it. Not quite my favorite in the series but in the top 3.

Anyone else feel like they should get rid of this "God's Eye" hacking bullcrap ASAP? Obviously it's a very convenient way of giving the villains considerably power, but it's just so stupid, even given how ridiculous this series is. However, it looks likely Cipher will return, I just wish that next time both sides had tools that are something a bit more specific and attainable than HACK_EVERYTHING.exe.

I want a rock and Statham spin off franchise.

I feel they ended with a send off for The Rock. It seemed like he was retiring to be with his daughter.

The last scene was really akward you could tell the Rock was not really part of the filming.

Betty

Banned
Anyone else feel like they should get rid of this "God's Eye" hacking bullcrap ASAP?.

Kind of, it's just an easy way to get a character to say "they're in [insert country here]" to move the plot along.

It's not elegant but it beats expository bull any day.

I'd love to see Tom Hardy join in for the sequels. He could be Cipher's brother or something. The meta-reference of having Mad Max in a car action movie + Mad Max reunion + family theme, and he already proved he can be a menacing presence/villain in Bronson, TDKR, and Taboo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom