• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fraternal Order of Police endorses Donald Trump for President

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

It really amazes me how someone who has no political background is being trusted on commitments and policies.

Very different system to how we operate in the UK. It makes Trump seem like some weird celebrity special guest.

darscot

This is completely expected, this group is the hard core of cops that can do no wrong. Blame everyone and everything and its all the victims fault. The only time I have ever heard of them is when they are on full out protect the hive mode.

Fluvian

Banned
It really amazes me how someone who has no political background is being trusted on commitments and policies.

Very different system to how we operate in the UK. It makes Trump seem like some weird celebrity special guest.

Yes how we operate, we don't let rich out of touch celebrities run for office, we let rich out of touch private education twats run.

Cerium

How is your superior system working out for you these days?

I don't think that, to undecideds, this is a selling point for Trumpo

It depends on how he spins it. A statement like this:

"I am the first Republican presidential candidate in many years to gain the support of a major union. This endorsement is furthur evidence that crooked Hillary and the Democrats are out of touch with the American people, and no longer care about the needs of hard-working American families."

Would play very well with white labor Democrats in OH, PA, IA, etc.

Yes how we operate, we don't let rich out of touch celebrities run for office, we let rich out of touch private education twats run.

Haha I was thinking of a disclaimer.

As bad as our politicians are, at least a potential Prime Minister will have had a lengthy background in the party on a directly elected level.

Cyan

Banned
It depends on how he spins it. A statement like this:

"I am the first Republican presidential candidate in many years to gain the support of a major union. This endorsement is furthur evidence that crooked Hillary and the Democrats are out of touch with the American people, and no longer care about the needs of hard-working American families."

Would play very well with white labor Democrats in OH, PA, IA, etc.

It wouldn't even be an outright lie like his usual stuff, only highly misleading. It's been eight whole years since this same union endorsed McCain.

WedgeX

Banned
There is nothing wrong with a national organization that is dedicated to pushing the causes of law enforcement. There is nothing wrong with local unions fighting for the rights of law enforcement. Both are a fine look, so to speak.

The issue with both is the execution in these cases: where local union and the FOP at large seek to quell or dismiss citizen dissent against law enforcement practices.

Yep. Its an incredible problem that police and police organizations like the FOP, despite record lows of police deaths, think that they are under assault and think that this gives them a pass on all the large problems that are being highlighted currently. They've given into fear, or perhaps see money to be made, and its hurting our democracy.

I am sick and tired of this country. Goddamn fat stupid people everywhere I look. If Trump gets more than 1 vote(his own), then it proves the downfall of American intelligence.

commedieu

Banned
It's not that, I'm just boggled by the sentiment that no context is needed unless someone wants to downplay something.

I dont see any conclusion to arrive at, for this specific op. I've been wrong in the past though and shouldn't pull out my jump to conclusions mat.

quaere

Trump literally has never mentioned the killing of black men. He thinks the only thing wrong with black communities is that we shoot each other all the time and the Mexicans bring the drugs and take the jobs.

I wish I was over exaggerating this.
Factually incorrect - Trump has mentioned it.

therealjay

Neo Member
White supremacist union backs white supremacist candidate.

Is this really neccesary?

Police Unions aren't white supremacists unions and plenty of inner-cities have near majority or majority black police forces where the most violence is done.

I think I read the other day that 26 unarmed black people have been shot this year. Look up the murder rate in just Baltimore and prepare to be shocked.

I don't say this to say that police are doing a fantastic job and no changes should be made but I'd stop real short of calling the police a white supremacist group. It's just stupid.

As stupid as the threads where people act like black people are being murdered systematically every day. I'm sympathetic to the cause but when I see officers being mischaracterized as badly as they often are it's just as bad. Being an inner city cop is a dangerous fucking job and people love to pile on.

That said Donald Trump is a fucking asshole and it is dissapointing the union came out for him. Although as an entity that is essentially a single issue "voter" I get why based of the information in the OP.

Haha I was thinking of a disclaimer.

As bad as our politicians are, at least a potential Prime Minister will have had a lengthy background in the party on a directly elected level.

Congrats?

Police Unions aren't white supremacists unions and plenty of inner-cities have near majority or majority black police forces where the most violence is done.

I think I read the other day that 26 unarmed black people have been shot this year. Look up the murder rate in just Baltimore and prepare to be shocked.

I don't say this to say that police are doing a fantastic job and no changes should be made but I'd stop real short of calling the police a white supremacist group. It's just stupid.

As stupid as the threads where people act like black people are being murdered systematically every day. I'm sympathetic to the cause but when I see officers being mischaracterized as badly as they often are it's just as bad. Being an inner city cop is a dangerous fucking job and people love to pile on.

That said Donald Trump is a fucking asshole and it is dissapointing the union came out for him. Although as an entity that is essentially a single issue "voter" I get why based of the information in the OP.

Woof. #NotAllCops. And no, people being mean to the good cops (are these the ones who constantly just hide behind the blue wall?) is not as bad as innocent people being murdered by cops.

darscot

Why do these two points have anything to do with each other? How many police have been murdered this year?

It might not be necessary, but what's undeniable is that they're supposed to be protecting all people yet they just endorsed a candidate that's openly racist, sexist, Islamophobic etc. What does that say about them?

What exactly does what one citizen does to another have to do with police brutality? Statistics like that will never be relevant to a topic that has to do with police shooting, injuring, and killing unarmed minorities. Last year there were an estimated 1,000 civilians killed by police. Can you guess how many officers were convicted? The number would be zero.

therealjay

Neo Member
It might not be necessary, but what's undeniable is that they're supposed to be protecting all people yet they just endorsed a candidate that's openly racist, sexist, Islamophobic etc. What does that say about them?

What exactly does what one citizen does to another have to do with police brutality? Statistics like that will never be relevant to a topic that has to do with police shooting, injuring, and killing unarmed minorities. Last year there were an estimated 1,000 civilians killed by police. Can you guess how many officers were convicted? The number would be zero.

I knew my post was going to get attention when I hit submit. And this is probably not the thread for it but here's my opinion.

Aside from a few bad apples I don't think racism is the police's problem. The problem in America is the war on drugs. When you take inner cities and dump a shitload of people in them with no money and no prospects. Literally a permanent underclass and their only way to make a living is to turn to selling drugs or other illegal things you are going to get huge clashes between that population and the police force.

It's just the way it is. And I think this is where Black Lives Matter misses the plot. Being a patrolman in West Baltimore or Chicago is a dangerous fucking job and you better be ready to kick some ass. It's just the reality of the situation. Until drugs like heroin and cocaine (and it's derivatives) are either legaglized and regulated or the punishments go way down the violence between the population itself and the population and the police is going to continue to escalate.

That's why I mention Baltimore specifically and why I mention the murder rate of unarmed black civilians. Yes there is clearly some bias amoungst some groups of police. But I highly highly doubt it's any higher then the general population. The issue is the war on drugs and it's been the issue for a long time now.

Police cameras might help with those unarmed people being shot or some of the crazy videos we've seen. But we are a nation of 300+ million and all those videos together don't count for that much. The real killing is going on in America's inner cities and people need to wake up to this.

I don't get why it's not more obvious.

Funny, while reading this thread I got a call from a police pan-handler.

How about you guys go ahead and mark me down as a "likely never" donator.

darscot

It's just the way it is. And I think this is where Black Lives Matter misses the plot. Being a patrolman in West Baltimore or Chicago is a dangerous fucking job and you better be ready to kick some ass. It's just the reality of the situation

LOL, #notallcops
Receipts

P.S. I love the logic that black people shoot each other so its no big deal if the cops kill a few unarmed ones.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I knew my post was going to get attention when I hit submit. And this is probably not the thread for it but here's my opinion.

Aside from a few bad apples I don't think racism is the police's problem. The problem in America is the war on drugs. When you take inner cities and dump a shitload of people in them with no money and no prospects. Literally a permanent underclass and their only way to make a living is to turn to selling drugs or other illegal things you are going to get huge clashes between that population and the police force.

It's just the way it is. And I think this is where Black Lives Matter misses the plot. Being a patrolman in West Baltimore or Chicago is a dangerous fucking job and you better be ready to kick some ass. It's just the reality of the situation. Until drugs like heroin and cocaine (and it's derivatives) are either legaglized and regulated or the punishments go way down the violence between the population itself and the population and the police is going to continue to escalate.

That's why I mention Baltimore specifically and why I mention the murder rate of unarmed black civilians. Yes there is clearly some bias amoungst some groups of police. But I highly highly doubt it's any higher then the general population. The issue is the war on drugs and it's been the issue for a long time now.

Police cameras might help with those unarmed people being shot or some of the crazy videos we've seen. But we are a nation of 300+ million and all those videos together don't count for that much. The real killing is going on in America's inner cities and people need to wake up to this.

I don't get why it's not more obvious.

It's not just killings. You can't ignore the beatings, torture, general harassment, or the near universal defence of those committing those crimes among the police. The FBI also explicitly warned about infiltration of law enforcement by white supremicist groups, which has shown to be a problem.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I dont see any conclusion to arrive at, for this specific op. I've been wrong in the past though and shouldn't pull out my jump to conclusions mat.

I want to know whether police unions tend to support Republicans (because they are more law and order oriented) or Democrats (because they are more supportive of unions). If police unions tend to support Republicans, then the fact that they support Donald Trump is less diagnostic than if the opposite is the case. Either way I'm not trying to argue about whether cops are racist, so you can settle down. I'm interested in analyzing this particular case as evidence of racism. I already believe that the police are a racially biased institution and that black people get unfair treatment at their hands. I don't need to accrue bad or ambiguous evidence to support that belief, so I'm asking a relevant question.

HeySeuss

Why do these two points have anything to do with each other? How many police have been murdered this year?

39 by gunfire and I'd have to do some research on how many have been struck by vehicles or died by other intentional means. So the number is probably around 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom