• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GS Warriors Are NBA Champions; Hold The Record For Best Postseason Record at 16-1

Fjordson

Yeah, how can GSW afford all those salaries when Curry gets what he wants now. lol
Bird rights. Lets a team like GS go way over the cap to re-sign a player.

Also, Draymond and Klay are on budget deals with the recent cap increase. Draymond will probably win defensive player of the year and he only made $16.4 mill this season.

The players voted against cap smoothing so when it blew up last year Klay and Draymond's deals were suddenly pretty cheap.

Kickz

Except that Lakers team 3-peated and never got blown out like GS did when they went 15-1.

GS is definitely deeper but IMO Kobe and Shaq were more dominant than any 2 players on the Warriors. Would have been a really weird series if those teams played.

Nah, 3 point barrage would bury them as well.

benjipwns

Banned
Since we're talking contracts, with some rounding here and there (also exact numbers won't be known until after the moratorium, this is projected):

The Warriors are expected to be at $109 million for Curry, Durant, Green and Thompson (and waived Jason Thompson), their entire team this year was $102 million.

Cleveland currently has LeBron, Love, Irving, Thompson, Smith, Frye, Shumpert and Jefferson at $125 million next year. And that'll cost way more than that because they'll be a repeater in the luxury tax.

Portland's the sneaky contract team, they will pay Lillard, McCollum, Crabbe, Turner, Myers Leonard, Mo Harkless, Ezeli and Aminu a combined $120 million.

OKC will pay $90 million for Westbrook, Adams, Oladipo and Kanter.

LionPride

Banned
Since we're talking contracts, with some rounding here and there (also exact numbers won't be known until after the moratorium, this is projected):

The Warriors are expected to be at $109 million for Curry, Durant, Green and Thompson (and waived Jason Thompson), their entire team this year was $102 million.

Cleveland currently has LeBron, Love, Irving, Thompson, Smith, Frye, Shumpert and Jefferson at $125 million next year. And that'll cost way more than that because they'll be a repeater in the luxury tax.

Portland's the sneaky contract team, they will pay Lillard, McCollum, Crabbe, Turner, Myers Leonard, Mo Harkless, Ezeli and Aminu a combined $120 million.

Portland needs to trade everyone not named McCollum or Lillard and honestly need to trade one of them as well

Fjordson

Whew Portland has some awful deals. Maybe some guys will step up next season, but guys like Crabbe and Evan Turner really aren't worth their salaries imo.

Well deserved, they're so much fun to watch

Loving the salt due to a player working his ass off his whole life to become an unstoppable scorer and then using that to give himself the best chance at winning a ring

benjipwns

Banned
Portland went all in on that whole "we'll overpay some guys because the cap's going up anyway and these will look like bargains" strategy except they probably used it on too many guys.

Especially since they have to pay Nurkic still.

mjp2417

Banned
Whew Portland has some awful deals. Maybe some guys will step up next season, but guys like Crabbe and Evan Turner really aren't worth their salaries imo.

People thinking that Portland was a team on the rise this offseason because they overachieved in 2016 and won 44 games and everyone on the Clippers got hurt in the playoffs was one of the weirder mass delusions. It's a team built around 2 non-top 10 players who will never be top 10 players and a bunch of bad contracts. Their ceiling is the Toronto Raptors, but much worse.

Derwind

Unreal team, stacked with multiple superstar shooters.

Durant is something else, dudes a 7-footer shooting like he's a guard, swatting back shots with his length. Has (arguably) one of the toughest shots to defend against.

I'm happy for them. Congrats GS!

Fjordson

People thinking that Portland was a team on the rise this offseason because they overachieved in 2016 and won 44 games and everyone on the Clippers got hurt in the playoffs was one of the weirder mass delusions. It's a team built around 2 non-top 10 players who will never be top 10 players and a bunch of bad contracts. Their ceiling is the Toronto Raptors, but much worse.
Yeah, kinda feels that way.

And with all the length and versatility around the league these days, I feel like it's tough to build around a backcourt of Dame and CJ. Amazing players, but they're both like 6-2.

diehard

Fleer
Yes he will. See this thread - the freaking dancers and janitors got rings when the Spurs won.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4g9bw9/if_the_warriors_win_the_finals_will_steve_nash/

Somebody giving you a ring does not equate to "getting a ring". It's like if i went on ebay and bought one.. it doesn't have the same meaning of winning a championship that "getting a ring" does. The NBA keeps track of championships win at the front office and playing level, and nothing more. Staff also usually get a cheaper version.

Easy to write GS off as a "collection of talent" whatever that means but if they make a it back next year, dynasty talk legit begins

Also, weird a guy who posted in the OT a handful of times jumped on posting this thread.

I happened to be browsing when the time was right and they were pretty much sealing the game, so I decided to make the thread to allow Gaf to converse about the Finals and discuss the team's place in NBA history.

kaiju

Champs!

DCLKjm8VoAACMXF.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
I feel like Richard Jefferson is the type to go around to each Warriors player after the game and say "enjoy meeting Trump."

Kettch

They are an insanely talented team, that I think would have won even without their best player.

Let's not get crazy. I do think it's entirely possible GS could have won if they'd spent Durant's money elsewhere though. They did go 73-9 and had a near lock on the championship with Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut plugging up the holes. Along with winning the year before. If they didn't have Durant, they would have had some other good player(s).

Also, I don't see how anyone could throw blame at GS for signing Durant. They drafted Curry, they drafted Thompson, they drafted Green. They signed one big time player. It's not like they just assembled the squad with piles of cash.

benjipwns

Banned
After so many people mentioned it, I would really love to somehow see Shaq on a slightly better team than those 2001 Lakers vs. these Warriors, 2K17 lets you do it but it's not quite right.

You have the most dominant big man against a team that spends most of the game trying to avoid playing someone who could even be a speed bump against him. Green's amazing but against Prime Actually Playing D and Rebounding Shaq? Even Bogut would get mauled to death.

This version of GSW is probably just too much firepower to overcome but I'd imagine it'd be something like Shaq averaging 42/18 plus Kobe's whatever and the Warriors still winning 4-1.

Kinda like this series was. So my post is actually saying nothing of value at all. What else is new?

edit: Shaq averaged 36/15/4 with 3 blocks in the Finals during the three-peat

theWB27

After so many people mentioned it, I would really love to somehow see Shaq on a slightly better team than those 2001 Lakers vs. these Warriors, 2K17 lets you do it but it's not quite right.

You have the most dominant big man against a team that spends most of the game trying to avoid playing someone who could even be a speed bump against him. Green's amazing but against Prime Actually Playing D and Rebounding Shaq? Even Bogut would get mauled to death.

This version of GSW is probably just too much firepower to overcome but I'd imagine it'd be something like Shaq averaging 42/18 plus Kobe's whatever and the Warriors still winning 4-1.

Kinda like this series was. So my post is actually saying nothing of value at all. What else is new?

edit: Shaq averaged 36/15/4 with 3 blocks in the Finals during the three-peat

Yall disrespectful. They wouldn't even have beat Cwebbs Kings 4-1

LionPride

Banned
Basketball before 2009?

PU
not serious for the most part

But honestly I can't think of any team 60s on that could beat these warriors in a seven game series even if you make them a more modern type of team

benjipwns

Banned
The 1970-74 Bucks with Young Kareem and Ol' Oscar are kinda frightening to think about with a modern defense and offense instilled.

LionPride

Banned
The 1970-74 Bucks with Young Kareem and Ol' Oscar are kinda frightening to think about with a modern defense and offense instilled.
I still feel like no one could guard KD on that team

04 Pistons? Rip and Tayshaun will have a damn heart attack, LeBron scored 28 straight in Tayshaun in 2007. KD would just jesus. Who needs to score in the paint.

Any Lakers team? Nope

Any Bulls team? Maybe

02 Kings? Nah

13 Heat? Maybe

85 Celtics? Nope

I could go on and on

Ronin Ray

Congrats to the warriors!!

As a spurs fan the KD salt makes no sense. Who wouldn't​ leave for a better job that's better ran, has way better co workers and is in a better city. I was pulling for the Cavs but I have nothing against the Warriors.

theWB27

I still feel like no one could guard KD on that team

04 Pistons? Rip and Tayshaun will have a damn heart attack, LeBron scored 28 straight in Tayshaun in 2007. KD would just jesus. Who needs to score in the paint.

Any Lakers team? Nope

Any Bulls team? Maybe

02 Kings? Nah

13 Heat? Maybe

85 Celtics? Nope

I could go on and on

The warriors are the greatest team ever and no one could beat them? Like they literally have no one ever that could be a matchup nightmare for them? You're telling me the likes of Kareem, Wilt, Shaq wouldn't dog walk their frontcourt? Is this real life?

LionPride

Banned
Congrats to the warriors!!

As a spurs fan the KD salt makes no sense. Who wouldn't​ leave for a better job that's better ran, has way better co workers and is in a better city. I was pulling for the Cavs but I have nothing against the Warriors.
Honestly

"Hey you wanna go to California and work with some other great people with a better boss or stay here in Oklafuckinghoma with some decent people and a meh boss?"

The warriors are the greatest team ever and no one could beat them? Like they literally have no one ever that could be a matchup nightmare for them? You're telling me the likes of Kareem, Wilt, Shaq wouldn't dog walk their frontcourt? Is this real life?
Shaq ain't fucking comin over that pick and roll

Let Kareem score 40, Steph and KD could score 30 a piece tbh

I ain't say tyey wouldn't dominate their frontcourt, but uh that backcourt that has two of the best shooters ever and a SF who is the best scorer ever would give everyone trouble

kasane

Gotta admit im mad salty at kd but grats on him on pursuing his dream and playing great in the finals.

I guess if i was in his situation last year all i wouldve think of was revenge against the team that knocked me out, not join them. Guess thats why im not an athlete 🤔 🤔 🤔.

Anyways dubs got mad lucky with their process but props to them.

mjp2417

Banned

This is the most talented basketball team ever assembled. Would they beat every team in NBA history in a 7 game series? Maybe, maybe not. But they are the most talented basketball team ever assembled.

LionPride

Banned
This is the most talented basketball team ever assembled. Would they beat every team in NBA history in a 7 game series? Maybe, maybe not. But they are the most talented basketball team ever assembled.
I honestly think in a 7 game they could beat every team exceot maybe a few on a good day

Draymond, Klay, and KD are good to great defenders along with Iggy off the bench so that's not a problem

Did I mentiom the whole 7 foot shooter who is wildly efficient thing?

Also two of the best shooters in NBA history

theWB27

Honestly

"Hey you wanna go to California and work with some other great people with a better boss or stay here in Oklafuckinghoma with some decent people and a meh boss?"

Shaq ain't fucking comin over that pick and roll

Let Kareem score 40, Steph and KD could score 30 a piece tbh

I ain't say tyey wouldn't dominate their frontcourt, but uh that backcourt that has two of the best shooters ever and a SF who is the best scorer ever would give everyone trouble

Shaq didn't have to come over that pick and roll because he was too busy destroying the frontcourt. You severely underestimate what that used to do teams and running their gameplan. It's like you forgetting Shaq and Kobe were averaging 60 together. And Shaq's 40was coming with 20 boards in the finals.

Mad props to Golden State, but cmon. Kareem wasn't the only one you had to deal with. Kevin Mchale, Parish, DJ and Bird. Bird is matching everything KD is putting up.

Just...let them have they moment without reverting to that. They have matchup nightmares galore throughout history...just not in today's game.

xfactor99

I really hate these "would previous team have beat this team" debates that only the NBA seems to have. In the MLB and NFL, we accept that the game has changed so much that such comparisons don't really make sense. No one goes "Could the 07 Patriots have beat the 72 Dolphins?" Why can't we just do the same thing for the NBA, when the game now is completely different from the 1970s (and most of the 1980s to be honest with the lack of 3-point shot)?

mjp2417

Banned
Mad props to Golden State, but cmon. Kareem wasn't the only one you had to deal with. Kevin Mchale, Parish, DJ and Bird. Bird is matching everything KD is putting up.
Sure
Just...let them have they moment without reverting to that. They have matchup nightmares galore throughout history...just not in today's game.

Sure, in the same way that LBJ is matching him. Congrats, you won 1 game. Who is matching Curry on the Celtics?

Fjordson

I really hate these "would previous team have beat this team" debates that only the NBA seems to have. In the MLB and NFL, we accept that the game has changed so much that such comparisons don't really make sense. No one goes "Could the 07 Patriots have beat the 72 Dolphins?" Why can't we just do the same thing for the NBA, when the game now is completely different from the 1970s (and most of the 1980s to be honest with the lack of 3-point shot)?
It's pretty silly.

I mean the game today is so much more complex and the athletes are so much more impressive than ever before. Durant, Steph and Lebron would run circles around any past NBA team up until maybe the late 90's. Same goes for guys like Westbrook, Anthony Davis, Giannis, etc. The league right now is absolutely stacked with talented freak athletes.

Top Bottom