• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Personally, I feel like launching a HMD without solid tracked controller options at this point (or worse, half a year from now) is rather pointless. After the Touch launch I think it's less controversial than ever before that tracked controls need to be part of the whole VR package.

I think the idea is that someone else is going to be making tracked controllers for Windows Holographic and selling them separately so they don't need to. Maybe the ones that have showed up in the Microsoft promo videos a couple times. No point in ALL these upcoming WinHolo headsets releasing their own controllers if someone else is going to make a set compatible with all of them.

Zalusithix

Interesting article at Anandtech about a new microdisplay from Kopin (a spinoff from MIT's Lincoln Labs). It's a 1 inch diagonal OLED with RGB 2048x2048 resolution, 120hz update rate, 10 microsecond latency, and "a high fill factor above that commonly seen in smartphone AMOLED displays along with low power consumption". I doubt we'll see anything like it in consumer VR headsets any time soon, but an interesting glimpse into the future perhaps.

Durante

I currently don't see any way for microdisplays to be the future of VR. Due to the way they are manufactured, it's just not viable to get them large enough to get a good FoV with reasonable optics.

Zalusithix

I currently don't see any way for microdisplays to be the future of VR. Due to the way they are manufactured, it's just not viable to get them large enough to get a good FoV with reasonable optics.

Nvidia's near-eye light field HMD used microdisplays. I view that as the future.

Durante

Nvidia's near-eye light field HMD used microdisplays. I view that as the future.
Ok, let me amend to "near-term future" ;)

What's o good about microdisplays?
What's good is very high pixel density and good fill rate.

What's bad is that due to the way they are manufactured, it's pretty much impossible to make larger ones at a consumer price point (even an enthusiast price point). Hence "micro".

What this means in practice is that FoV is highly restricted unless you go for huge and expensive optics.

Zalusithix

What this means in practice is that FoV is highly restricted unless you go for huge and expensive optics.

Or in the case of the Nvidia prototype, super small and light micro-lenses which would place the small micro-displays extremely close to your eyes. This is still expensive, and additionally serves to cut down the effective resolution which means even higher resolution displays are needed. What you gain, however, is a light field capable display: one that mimics how light works in the real world. You'd gain natural depth of field and the ability to focus on objects at different depths within the virtual world.

All quite far off tech, but the ultimate destination for VR.

Edit: To be clear, this is expanding on Durante's post for mckmas8808's sake.

Zalusithix

Road to VR has an article up on HypeVR's volumetric video capture. They're sitting at about 68MB per second of capture right now (1.14MB per frame). Between that and ~6 minutes per frame encode/processing time, I'd say it'll be awhile before we see any consumer videos with this tech. Still, the future is here! Kind of...

Zalusithix

I want to see that in person SO bad. Must be surreal.

Truly the closest you'd be able to get to being somewhere without actually being there.

3D/360 videos are a neat parlor trick, but never feel particularly real. Rendered environments are way more presence building despite their current simplistic nature, but will never replace actual real life footage. Photogrammetry can be stunning and feel real, but it's static and the results are limited by the photography and software used to stitch everything together; it also all falls apart if stuff is moving in the scene even slightly.

This though... Short of the lack of interactivity with the environment, it should truly feel like you've been transported to another real life place. If we can ever get to the point where we can do the computations in real time and get the bandwidth down enough that it can be streamed...

Truly the closest you'd be able to get to being somewhere without actually being there.

3D/360 videos are a neat parlor trick, but never feel particularly real. Rendered environments are way more presence building despite their current simplistic nature, but will never replace actual real life footage. Photogrammetry can be stunning and feel real, but it's static and the results are limited by the photography and software used to stitch everything together; it also all falls apart if stuff is moving in the scene even slightly.

This though... Short of the lack of interactivity with the environment, it should truly feel like you've been transported to another real life place. If we can ever get to the point where we can do the computations in real time and get the bandwidth down enough that it can be streamed...

Did they ever show exactly how they're doing it? I'm trying to figure out possible solutions in my head and totally coming up blank. Shit is sorcery.

Zalusithix

Did they ever show exactly how they're doing it? I'm trying to figure out possible solutions in my head and totally coming up blank. Shit is sorcery.

LIDAR + a boatload of cameras + lots of post processing. How they're filling in the obscured areas is black box Voodoo though.

Zalusithix

Huh? Article says it's currently 2GB per 30 seconds. That's big but managable, at least for short videos.
Yeah, it's a simple units error. GB->MB. Was quickly doing the math and compiling the post between doing things IRL and forgot to change units while writing it down. My point remains though. Over 1MB per frame @60+fps is way outside of the realm of being reasonably deliverable by disc or internet. (Until holographic discs become mainstream or everybody has 600+Mbit internet connections without caps.)

Though as GuitarAtomik pointed out, their previous point was about 3GB per frame, so the GB+ per frame concept isn't exactly that strange for this. Granted I'm not sure if that was raw data or using a previous compression.

UQSAzzZl.jpg

VmFxxppl.jpg

hvrSr6kl.jpg

Testing Superhot VR, Dead and Buried and The Climb VR soon. Need to finish Dishonored 2 first.

cakefoo

Anyone see this Freedom Locomotion System? Any thoughts on it? Seems pretty comprehensive.
His method: Run in place and swing your arms faster and faster, press a touchpad direction and point your controller. So if my wrist changes angles while swinging my arm, is that going to influence my movement direction? Plus dual wielding while using this locomotion system might be too awkward if my aiming is going to influence which direction I move and if I'm waving my gun around I'm going to have to be simultaneously changing my thumb position to re-direct my movement.

There needs to be a more sophisticated and intuitive movement system that involves only your legs, and a mere button to activate. While running in place, drift in the direction you want to move. If you want to go south, drift south. If you want to go west, drift west. If you've played Quell 4D, it's sort of like that already, but there your speed is determined by how far you stick out the controller, which makes it more like an analog stick with several feet of deadzone, making it somewhat floaty when you want to change directions. With the run-in-place method I'm imagining, you would be able to have a smaller re-centering deadzone because your speed is determined not by position, but by leg speed.

His method: Run in place and swing your arms faster and faster, press a touchpad direction and point your controller. So if my wrist changes angles while swinging my arm, is that going to influence my movement direction? Plus dual wielding while using this locomotion system might be too awkward if my aiming is going to influence which direction I move and if I'm waving my gun around I'm going to have to be simultaneously changing my thumb position to re-direct my movement.

There needs to be a more sophisticated and intuitive movement system that involves only your legs, and a mere button to activate. While running in place, drift in the direction you want to move. If you want to go south, drift south. If you want to go west, drift west. If you've played Quell 4D, it's sort of like that already, but there your speed is determined by how far you stick out the controller, which makes it more like an analog stick with several feet of deadzone, making it somewhat floaty when you want to change directions. With the run-in-place method I'm imagining, you would be able to have a smaller re-centering deadzone because your speed is determined not by position, but by leg speed.

Yeah, not sure of the finer details of it. I think one of the more interesting things about it is the different systems being used in conjunction. For example, being able to use room rotate while moving. Or the freeformness of the climbing system, specifically how he was using it to move while prone. He's putting a demo out though so at least we can try for ourselves.

EDIT: Lol. I just put two and two together and realized it was made by a GAFer Zaptruder. He's banned right now though.

Tain

VR games from this year's GOTY voting:

52. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Rez Infinite (Rhythm) = 83 points, 5 honorable mentions
66. [PS4][PSVR] Batman: Arkham VR (Adventure) = 57 points, 2 honorable mentions
103. [PC][OVR] Obduction (Puzzle) = 25 points, 2 honorable mentions
119. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Rigs: Mechanized Combat League (FPS) = 17 points
123. [PS4][PSVR] PlayStation VR Worlds (Action) = 16 points
128. [PC][OVR][HTC] The Lab (Action) = 15 points, 1 honorable mention
163. [PC][HTC] Audioshield (Rhythm) = 10 points
164. [PS4][PSVR] The Playroom VR (Action) = 9 points, 4 honorable mentions
170. [PS4][PSVR][NWU][PC] Job Simulator (Simulation) = 9 points
201. [NWU][PC][OVR] Chronos (RPG) = 6 points
224. [PS4][PSVR] Tethered (Strategy) = 5 points
286. [PS4][PSVR][NWU][PC] Eagle Flight (Simulation) = 3 points
292. [PS4][PSVR] Driveclub VR (Racing) = 3 points
292. [PS4][PSVR] Star Wars Battlefront: Rogue One: X-wing VR Mission (FPS) = 3 points
309. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Super Hypercube (Puzzle) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
324. [PS4][PSVR] Harmonix Music VR (Rhythm) = 2 points
336. [PC][HTC] Vanishing Realms (RPG) = 2 points
353. [PS4][PSVR][NWU][PC][OVR][HTC] Eve: Valkyrie (FPS) = 2 points
357. [PS4][PSVR] Headmaster (Sports) = 2 points
360. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Wayward Sky (Action) = 2 points
366. [PC][OVR][HTC] Arizona Sunshine (Action) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
382. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] 100 ft. Robot Golf (Sports) = 1 point
399. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] London Heist Getaway (FPS) = 1 point
399. [NWU][PC][OVR] Lucky's Tale (Platform) = 1 point
429. [PC][HTC] Holopoint (FPS) = 1 point
446. [PC][OVR][HTC] The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

You can feel the lack of Early Access games.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
VR games from this year's GOTY voting:

52. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Rez Infinite (Rhythm) = 83 points, 5 honorable mentions
66. [PS4][PSVR] Batman: Arkham VR (Adventure) = 57 points, 2 honorable mentions
103. [PC][OVR] Obduction (Puzzle) = 25 points, 2 honorable mentions
119. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Rigs: Mechanized Combat League (FPS) = 17 points
123. [PS4][PSVR] PlayStation VR Worlds (Action) = 16 points
128. [PC][OVR][HTC] The Lab (Action) = 15 points, 1 honorable mention
163. [PC][HTC] Audioshield (Rhythm) = 10 points
164. [PS4][PSVR] The Playroom VR (Action) = 9 points, 4 honorable mentions
170. [PS4][PSVR][NWU][PC] Job Simulator (Simulation) = 9 points
201. [NWU][PC][OVR] Chronos (RPG) = 6 points
224. [PS4][PSVR] Tethered (Strategy) = 5 points
286. [PS4][PSVR][NWU][PC] Eagle Flight (Simulation) = 3 points
292. [PS4][PSVR] Driveclub VR (Racing) = 3 points
292. [PS4][PSVR] Star Wars Battlefront: Rogue One: X-wing VR Mission (FPS) = 3 points
309. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Super Hypercube (Puzzle) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
324. [PS4][PSVR] Harmonix Music VR (Rhythm) = 2 points
336. [PC][HTC] Vanishing Realms (RPG) = 2 points
353. [PS4][PSVR][NWU][PC][OVR][HTC] Eve: Valkyrie (FPS) = 2 points
357. [PS4][PSVR] Headmaster (Sports) = 2 points
360. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] Wayward Sky (Action) = 2 points
366. [PC][OVR][HTC] Arizona Sunshine (Action) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
382. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] 100 ft. Robot Golf (Sports) = 1 point
399. [PS4][PSVR][NWU] London Heist Getaway (FPS) = 1 point
399. [NWU][PC][OVR] Lucky's Tale (Platform) = 1 point
429. [PC][HTC] Holopoint (FPS) = 1 point
446. [PC][OVR][HTC] The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

You can feel the lack of Early Access games.

No SuperHot VR? Wow.

Where's the love for PCVR, GAF?

I think the individual threads for Vive and Rift move faster than this thread.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I voted for it. Wonder if they didn't consider it a separate game from the flatscreen version.

I did as well. It must have been excluded for some reason. Seems a bit crazy as it sounds like it was an entirely different game from the original and is the best realized VR game thus far.

SimplexPL

From the GOTY thread:
255. [XB1] The Solus Project (Adventure) = 3 points, 3 honorable mentions

I don't know if it counts - the game has a VR mode, Durante played it in VR and liked it a lot. Also, I have no idea why it only says [XB1] as the game has a PC version)(

Durante

From the GOTY thread:

I don't know if it counts - the game has a VR mode, Durante played it in VR and liked it a lot. Also, I have no idea why it only says [XB1] as the game has a PC version)(
The [PC] tag is missing from 50 or so games in the GotY thread.

As I said there, it would probably be easier to list the games where its absence is justified rather than those which should have it :p

Zalusithix

I almost feel like we should have done a separate VR game of the year poll lol. The VGA nominations were kind of a travesty as well lol.

A VR game of the year poll would pretty much end up being a PSVR > PCVR game list. Then on the PCVR side of things, aside from a few standout titles like Superhot, you'd have Oculus Home exclusive games at the bottom of the list. Outside of what was most well liked within an ecosystem, it'd be useless. Very few people own more than one VR device, which doesn't work well when most of the GOTY contenders are exclusives (or were for the vast majority of the year).

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I almost feel like we should have done a separate VR game of the year poll lol. The VGA nominations were kind of a travesty as well lol.

I'm surprised there was no VR category. Seems like a glaringly obvious oversight.

Yeah, I'm positive it was just rolled into the original SUPERHOT as an oversight.

I voted for it. Wonder if they didn't consider it a separate game from the flatscreen version.

It was considered as the same game.

Does anyone know where to get a third sensor for the Rift? I can't seem to find it on the Oculus store, I am sure I am just a dolt, any help will be appreciated.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Does anyone know where to get a third sensor for the Rift? I can't seem to find it on the Oculus store, I am sure I am just a dolt, any help will be appreciated.

Not your fault, it does look like you have to sneak up on it.

Add something to your cart (anything), get taken to the listing of what's in your cart, then remove the thing you added. Below where it was listed you should see a button to add a sensor to your cart.

cakefoo

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes now supports Vive controllers and Touch, and haptic fb.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/341800/discussions/0/141136086944457456/

We’d like to hear your feedback on how the controls feel! How are the haptics? Anything feel unintuitive? Please note that there is no tutorial for motion controls yet as the functionality may need to change. Also, switching between motion controls and gamepad will require re-launching the game.

cakefoo

VR - videos don't look anywhere near as good as the real thing
AR - the real thing doesn't look anywhere near as good as the videos

Top Bottom