• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The inherent problem with smashburgers

ahtlas7

They‘re wafer patties that have had all the oils crushed out of them while being cooked at to high of heat for too long forcing out any remaining juices, then, over salted to dry you out. Now to fix those issues they apply copious amounts of mayo and a substance they call ‘cheese’. Enjoy!

Lunarorbit

A good smash takes some experience. You can deffo make it malliard all around and medium rare to rare in the centre, but it's all about 30-40 seconds, or you get the well done stuff.

(Unsure though if you want rare ground where you live, food safety varies from country to country, and ground needs to be handled with care, ground from a centre cut to the pan is preferred).

I love to make smash burgers, with ground moose, which is less forgiving than beef.
What does moose taste like?

Liljagare

What does moose taste like?

3-4 year olds that are mainly hunted, delicious. No game flavour, more like veal, and doesn't matter what part you use, everything on them is tender. Moose cows are not hunted usually, never had any, and older male moose taste like you think, gamey to the extreme, not enjoyable imho, but, some people love the extreme game flavour.

Thaedolus

Shrinkflation.

This is just a marketing ploy to get people to buy less meat for the same money.
No it’s not, it’s a different way of cooking a burger. If you double or triple up a smashed patty, you get more Maillard crisp and flavor. You do need to use fattier meat, though, so you don’t get a dry piece of jerky.

A good smash burger is excellent. I rarely make them at home because I usually grill thicker burgers on my Traeger, but when I get out the griddle and smash some fatty chuck beef up, everyone loves it

Top Bottom