• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm liking Hein as a lead/mid character lately, his normals are good (thankfully, it offsets the other two) and even though he feels "basic" it's in a good way... you can easily cancel his moves together for big, confirmable damage.

SAB we gotta play sometime so I can see what your Sylvie is looking like. I haven't graduated to Mian or my avatar yet. Having too much fun with the simpler characters!

I've yet to fight a decent Hein... or play as one myself, so I'd love to see one! He's still Rule 63 Leona to me in many ways, so I WANT to get better with him...

Sylvie was my Demo Main, lol, so I hope I can still make her look decent amongst the full cast. I feel like I'm in a similar struggle with her as I am with Tung; If I get in, and land what I need, she's strong. But she has an excellent set of AA's compared to him. Yet he has an easy-as-hell to land command grab.

Via SRK, dunno if legit:

Really interesting to see what their "nerfing" brings about. We're likely to get changes to things no one is talking or thinking about, and I'm more concerned for those personally.

Of course, maybe it's because I haven't faced such true Despair, lol. I haven't run into anything online that didn't seem surmountable at all, people have beat me when I spammed strong stuff, and I've been able to get out of their cheesy tactics. Gotta fight more cheese...

qcf x2

I've yet to fight a decent Hein... or play as one myself, so I'd love to see one! He's still Rule 63 Leona to me in many ways, so I WANT to get better with him...

Sylvie was my Demo Main, lol, so I hope I can still make her look decent amongst the full cast. I feel like I'm in a similar struggle with her as I am with Tung; If I get in, and land what I need, she's strong. But she has an excellent set of AA's compared to him. Yet he has an easy-as-hell to land command grab.

Yeah I'm not saying I'm good with Hein or anything because I'm not, but he gets easy damage and even though his AA game sucks (I think) once he has meter you really can't jump on him. For a level one super it does a lot of damage. If I could reliably short hop I'd be good with him though, because my current issue is anybody can just crouch block and his command grab whiffs completely. This isn't an issue if you open them up with short hop > normal > dive kick > combo, but that requires skill that I have yet to acquire.

ggs to siva_arwen, not sure who that is on here but you kicked my butt! I think my Sylvie can hang with yours once I get those MAX combos to land but man Kula is a pain. Priority, easy bnb into big damage, speed, etc. Connection was pretty good but every time I tried to bnb into max mode with Tung (C, df A, BC) I got his PPP move. Every. Time. lol. We def have to play more in the future, we should get some Gaf party battles going.

Shoutouts to SAB CA for the Geese advice a few pages back. Once I stopped being so self-conscious about making offense happen and being a bit more measured in my approach things worked out a lot better. I've been playing him on point to get better with his regular counters as opposed to feeling myself and trying to DIE FOWEVAH all the time. Once you get one off it's a lot easier to press forward once they have the fear in them. 5A -> 5C -> 5A is a really sick frame trap to for people pressing buttons and I've been abusing the hell out of that. Overall I'm going to still learn Leona, Ralf etc. because it's always nice to have people to swap out, but Geese is firmly back in the rotation.

Tizoc

I don't feel bad about losing to anchor Mature anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ak-c5BnR4

Also posting for posterity

jxWSgP7h.jpg

But really I do think that raw max mode is too much for anchors. They get about 4-5 ex moves off 1 bar and it's absolutely ridiculous on some characters, while other characters have unsafe specials even when ex.
Brilliant

Neoxon

Via SRK, dunno if legit:
I honestly hope that SNK holds off on balancing the game for a bit. Sometimes things like this need to just play out so we can adapt. The last thing we need is another repeat of the Vanilla Sentinel situation.

Oh ok, i see. So the hit counter doesnt count the next hit with the following number? In this case hit 6? It goes back to 2

That's right. The first combo ends with Bandeiras resetting his aerial opponent with the standing C/HP. After the standing C hits, you use the teleport to get behind your opponent and mix them up for a potential second combo once they hit the ground.

I've been trying to mess around with a third team member. I think I like Tung. He's got good hops, his shou-ha specials are neutral on block with his C version being slightly plus, his aerial spinning lariat is very plus on block, and most importantly, his far.C is cancellable. You can even combo far.C into his down+forward.A from a fairly good distance.

His combos are simple and do very respectable damage. My only issue is that his overall range is pretty short, and his run speed is actually on the slow side. That aside, I think I like Tung enough to try and main him alongside Xanadu and Luong/Billy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Shoutouts to SAB CA for the Geese advice a few pages back. Once I stopped being so self-conscious about making offense happen and being a bit more measured in my approach things worked out a lot better. I've been playing him on point to get better with his regular counters as opposed to feeling myself and trying to DIE FOWEVAH all the time. Once you get one off it's a lot easier to press forward once they have the fear in them. 5A -> 5C -> 5A is a really sick frame trap to for people pressing buttons and I've been abusing the hell out of that. Overall I'm going to still learn Leona, Ralf etc. because it's always nice to have people to swap out, but Geese is firmly back in the rotation.

Definitely glad all of that was of some use! This is probably the most I've liked Geese, Runner-up being the Real Bout series. His moves feel like really solid, more palatable versions of many of the things he's used to have, and I love how overdone he is with even his normal throws, posing after everything he does like it's a 1990's martial arts flick.

I've been trying to mess around with a third team member. I think I like Tung. He's got good hops, his shou-ha specials are neutral on block with his C version being slightly plus, his aerial spinning lariat is very plus on block, and most importantly, his far.C is cancellable. You can even combo far.C into his down+forward.A from a fairly good distance.

His combos are simple and do very respectable damage. My only issue is that his overall range is pretty short, and his run speed is actually on the slow side. That aside, I think I like Tung enough to try and main him alongside Xanadu and Luong/Billy.

Yup, I rather enjoy Tung too, but I've always liked playing him whenever he's available. I do feel really odd that his run is... really not that fast, it always felt fast to me in NGBC, for example. People fall for his command throw all the time too. And if you're feeling lazy, basic max mode combo chain into EX Command Throw does very nice damage, too.

I oddly get a lot of fun fighting enemy MuiMui's with him... Real Fantasy Martial arts! I'd put them both on a team with Geese, but Leona or Zarina are alternating permanent mainstays for me now... also a real Mian fan.

BadWolf

Luong is so freaking fun and effective, even using her as anchor now, but every time I pick her I can't help but look at Kim and feel guilty for not using him.

Tried him and it's still as exhilarating as ever to use him, though a lot of the stuff which made him top tier in XIII has been nerfed. A lot. Still though, the new system mechanics do work well with him which does offset the nerfs in various ways.

Really interesting to see what their "nerfing" brings about. We're likely to get changes to things no one is talking or thinking about, and I'm more concerned for those personally.

Of course, maybe it's because I haven't faced such true Despair, lol. I haven't run into anything online that didn't seem surmountable at all, people have beat me when I spammed strong stuff, and I've been able to get out of their cheesy tactics. Gotta fight more cheese...

To be fair they already started balancing the game pre-release with a pretty significant balance patch.

The battle director did say that he had only about 11 days to work on balancing one character so it makes sense they would delve back in post release. The way the characters are now it definitely feels like a lot of them were balanced to be very strong, which of course has taken some characters over the top. They just need to be reeled back in a little.

K' for example got back a lot of the stuff which made him S tier in the arcade version of XIII and were later nerfed in console XIII.

I honestly hope that SNK holds off on balancing the game for a bit. Sometimes things like this need to just play out so we can adapt. The last thing we need is another repeat of the Vanilla Sentinel situation.

The way KOF players usually adapt is by tier whoring, it will be EX Iori/Kim/Karate all over again in no time.

Think i finally got my team comp together.

King - point
King of Dinosaurs - mid
Athena -anchor

Tried some other characters on point like Kula, Roberto, Love Heart, and Alice, but ultimately settled for King.

If there are any other really good recommendations for point I'd love to hear them because while i really like King, i dont love her as much as KoD and Athena.

Numb

He was such a badass in XIII and has one of the best 2D sprites ever there but man, after Madkof won that one Evo with him...

Darkskin white clothes Kim vids are so many some might confuse it for his default
13 Kim is way too much tbh
Just had to get nerfed

BadWolf

Just fought against a Nakoruru and those badly spaced light slides (which are a dime a dozen in tournament play so far) are definitely not safe, got a free regular throw each time.

Lights into light slide isn't a true block string, finished her off by doing up kicks in between with Kim (followed up by air super, then ground EX launcher super, more up kicks and a third super lol).

Darkskin white clothes Kim vids are so many some might confuse it for his default
13 Kim is way too much tbh
Just had to get nerfed

For sure, his pressure was monstrous and his EX moves were ridonculous.

Zerojul

Just came back from vacation and opened my copy. Loving the game so far. I think it looks decent to very good, some animations are just awesome (Mian !).
Dabbling in the trial mode (wish there were more of them but with 50 chars...) and so far I'm very impressed with the invitational team. Even Sylvie is not as much of a pain to the eyes and ears that I feared, I even liked what little I've seen of her gameplay.
Really hope the game sells well enough, SNK deserves it greatly and I want more from the guys.

Dream Cancel is having an online tournament this Saturday

Single Team Play Mode Tournament September 10th @ 2pm Central (12pm PST/3pm Eastern)

This event will be a standard team play bracket.  Limited only to USA, Canada and Mexico.

Rules will be 2/3 matches until winners, losers and grand finals which will be 3/5.

More details and sign-up are here.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Via SRK, dunno if legit:
LOL she is good but she isn't THAT good same with Athena, mature is pretty dumb at the moment in the anchor slot but there are ways around it.

The game has barely even been out, dudes sound worse than the smash Bros community when it comes to strong characters

BadWolf

Btw guys, if you are having trouble hopping over certain fireballs (like Athena's) then find a jumping normal with your character that looks more horizontal and then you can hop over easily.

For example: Billy's j.LK, Maxima's j.CD, Ralf's j.LK and j.HP etc.

Lets you clear a fireball quickly and hit the opponent more easily if they are throwing the fireball close to you.

tried some more ranked. this game doesn't know how to keep out 1 bar connections even if i set 4 only.

btw, how does same region search work, is it just for your country or are all the other countries around you with the same potential perfect connection included?

Ralf just walking through fire was the most intense shit i seen

yes, it is.

Numb

tried some more ranked. this game doesn't know how to keep out 1 bar connections even if i set 4 only.

btw, how does same region search work, is it just for your country or are all the other countries around you with the same potential perfect connection included?

yes, it is.

Dude really looks like he's in a Michael Bay movie

He just don't care
It's amazing
of course not

5mhROpE.jpg
This guy

qcf x2

I feel like I almost understand Xanadu now. Does that make me crazy?

Tips for anybody wanting to live free, beyond the limits of sanity:

1. st B cancels into f A up to max range (!)
2. st B moves forward so the range is serious
3. f A cancels into everything except grab and breath
4. cr A (x2) links into st B
5. cr B cancels into everything (including f A) except grab and breath
6. j D can cross up from a jump, not from a hop
7. EX grab has lots of armor though it seems like a trick that would only work once on an opponent
8. cr D will put an airborne opponent in a juggle state.

Overall it seems like he's meant to fight like a dirt bag, getting his damage from standard combos moreso than canceling into climax. If he had a true overhead I'd be happier but that's because I can't hop yet. His mid/low / throw game is there.

Looking to expand my Mai vocabulary. The best combo starter Ive found for myself is lk-hk- either qcb hp or hcf hk - and if I have meter Ill going into either one of her supers.

What I'm looking for is longer combos that either use 1 meter or none at all. Any advice?
Like I can hp - max- hp - qcb hp, etc but what else can I do?

Edit: also whose a better anchor, Mai or Luong?

Amedo310

Looking to expand my Mai vocabulary. The best combo starter Ive found for myself is lk-hk- either qcb hp or hcf hk - and if I have meter Ill going into either one of her supers.

What I'm looking for is longer combos that either use 1 meter or none at all. Any advice?
Like I can hp - max- hp - qcb hp, etc but what else can I do?

Edit: also whose a better anchor, Mai or Luong?

1. 1 meter at midscreen: hp, max, hp, qcb (lp+hp), hcf (lk+hk), crouch hp

2. 1 meter at corner: hp, max, hp, qcb lp, qcb (lp+hp), qcb hp, close lp

3. 1 meter at corner: hp, max, hp, hcf (lk+hk), qcb (lp+hp), qcb hp, close lp

4. No meter at corner: hp, qcb lp, crouch hp

1. 1 meter at midscreen: hp, max, hp, qcb (lp+hp), hcf (lk+hk), crouch hp

2. 1 meter at corner: hp, max, hp, qcb lp, qcb (lp+hp), qcb hp, close lp

3. 1 meter at corner: hp, max, hp, hcf (lk+hk), qcb (lp+hp), qcb hp, close lp

4. No meter at corner: hp, qcb lp, crouch hp

sweet, thanks

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I never take matchmaking seriously in any fighter. While I like to use the prediction guides, they always seem like a Snapshot of a person's connection, rather than a real tell of their moment-to-moment gameplay. Even when SNK used Ping in things like NGBC or 2KsUM on XBLA, it still seemed quite shifty.

My matches on BBCP.. or whichever it was on PS3 often ran better at 2 or 3 bars, then the higher ups. Especially being on wireless-happy PS3, connections often seemed to have bumps in their consistency.

In SFV, I've had playable 1s, but atrocious 4s. In KoF, I've had 2s in the lobby turn to 4s once we start a series together. Kinda like the old days of putting in your credits at an arcade machine, and then finding out one of the directions isn't working perfectly on the stick. Just gotta fight on thorough the best you can!

Amedo310

I thought I would share this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XswG5UhxnQQ

Raw Minute Spike to Narrow Spike Punish gap is really huge and can be punished easy with a crouch attack. As a K' does minute spike from across the screen do a crouch A do punish either minute spike or narrow spike. This is the trade off for narrow spike being -2 or -1 on block.

Hyun Sai

i get matches swiftly. just need a working connection filter now. same problem as SFV actually.

There is a connexion filter in SFV. We have the choice to accept or not casual and ranked matches when we see the opponent bars. That makes all the difference. They need to implement that for KoFXIV.

Top Bottom