• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us | Official Trailer | HBO Max

skneogaf

The spores will likely not compress well for a streaming show, would probably cause compression artifacts.

They worked absolutely fine in stranger things though?

zdedNY8.jpg

Ar¢tos

Man I just cant get over the Ellie casting. I am trying so much to do so. I do think she is a good actress, but the sheer appearance difference is almost insurmountable.

Hopefully they knock everything else out of the park. Not long now. Just 1 week.
She was obviously chosen because people might remember her from Got, just like Pascal was chosen because of his recent fame, not because of their similarities to the characters or amazing acting skills, it's just for extra publicity.
It could be worse, we could have ended up with Dwayne Johnson as Joel and Tom Holland as Ellie...

GymWolf

Gold Member
She was obviously chosen because people might remember her from Got, just like Pascal was chosen because of his recent fame, not because of their similarities to the characters or amazing acting skills, it's just for extra publicity.
It could be worse, we could have ended up with Dwayne Johnson as Joel and Tom Holland as Ellie...
Are we sure holland as ellie is a worse choice?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
r.e. Spores, this is a clear cut case of shit working for one medium simply doesnt work for another, in a videogame it works perfectly because its a videogame but for TV it would never work, the spores would be in the air everywhere they wouldnt just be localised to a few rooms/building like the game, so yeah i can see why they dropped it

Hugare

r.e. Spores, this is a clear cut case of shit working for one medium simply doesnt work for another, in a videogame it works perfectly because its a videogame but for TV it would never work, the spores would be in the air everywhere they wouldnt just be localised to a few rooms/building like the game, so yeah i can see why they dropped it
What you said makes no sense

It's perfectly acceptable and realistic to expect spores to be localised inside a building (if its locked), cave or subway system

This is not a dealbreaker, but certainly dumb move. They want to differentiate the infection so much from zombies, and yet removes such an integral part of what makes the infection unique.

Ellie having to wear a mask to "blend in" was nice, she revealing to Dina that she could breath spores in Part II ...

And it was also part of the atmosphere. That screenshot with the clicker pinned to the wall without spores just ... looks weird

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They worked absolutely fine in stranger things though?

zdedNY8.jpg
33 million dollar per episode budget

Vs like 10

And still only a few scenes.
It’s not a big deal. As long as the zombies remain dangerous, and they can come up with something new.

If it’s a really big deal I’m sure they’ll add it in season 2

There are smart reasons to not do spores. If you think about it logically, spores would basically be everywhere indoors where clickers have died.

Doing that in live action means a lot of money on effects and a lot of time with actors wearing pro masks.

Ultimately it's a hassle, but it will be missed.

i couldn't give a fuck about no spores. i don't know the reason they removed them but i will give them a chance to show what they came up with instead.

it doesn't need to be and sometimes can not be 100% accurate. the actors also don't need to look exactly like the characters in game. the plot doesnt need to follow it beat by beat or scene by scene. this is a tv show based on a game. it is not a game. it is a tv show.

one of my favourite book series (his dark materials) got adapted to TV by BBC/HBO. i knew it would never be 100% accurate but i was still excited for it. a lot of the cast didn't look like how i imagined them and didn't even match the cast in the film of the first book. a lot of things were changed and some major things but overall it done a good job of adapting it and staying true to the story. i enjoyed it as it is and the author himself even was happy with it.

i just don't know how people have the energy to be so negative. TLOU is one of my favourite games that i've ever played and i'm excited for the show. if it sucks then at least the game will still always be there. if it sucks i'll be disappointed but i'll just not watch it again and not go on the internet to cry and moan about it. try and enjoy it lol.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Spores are only present indoors in areas without fresh air so it's obvious to assume that the spores would become useless once outside.

Stupid morons making garbage attempts at TV shows like this and halo TV show.

I can't bring myself to watch this as I'm way too annoyed! 😅 It was the same thing with halo and the helmet shite and I haven't watched a second of that.

Senua

Gold Member
Spores are only present indoors in areas without fresh air so it's obvious to assume that the spores would become useless once outside.

Stupid morons making garbage attempts at TV shows like this and halo TV show.

I can't bring myself to watch this as I'm way too annoyed! 😅 It was the same thing with halo and the helmet shite and I haven't watched a second of that.

Last edited:

Hugare

33 million dollar per episode budget

Vs like 10

And still only a few scenes.
It’s not a big deal. As long as the zombies remain dangerous, and they can come up with something new.

If it’s a really big deal I’m sure they’ll add it in season 2
If you didnt mention the budget I would never know that it takes 22 million to make some CGI spores

... Yeah, good explanation, buddy

Or maybe you could have gone with "spores infect people if the air is full of them like, you know, closed spaces. So outdoors you are good"

Meme Reaction GIF

Netflix gonna Netf- HBO gonna HBO

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I feel you. Just stop trying to get over it. Worked quite well for me. Just accept that the series is not a 1:1 clone of the game and the characters look different as a result. Even in terms of performance, Bella will put her own touch in there. Therefore, it will also be different from that point of view. The only thing that matters to me is that the performance is "Ellie-worthy". But as long as she delivers for me in some specific scenes, it is all good.

In my head canon for the show being immune has the side effect of making you look like upside down mr potato head. works well

Elysion

Banned

So both Joel and his brother Tommy are into black women? (since Joel‘s daughter in the show is black too) And now that I think about it, Ellie‘s first girlfriend Riley in the game was also black, which means it’s all but guaranteed that she‘ll be black in the show as well.

It seems everyone in this show prefers chocolate between their sheets!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
If you didnt mention the budget I would never know that it takes 22 million to make some CGI spores

... Yeah, good explanation, buddy

Or maybe you could have gone with "spores infect people if the air is full of them like, you know, closed spaces. So outdoors you are good"

Meme Reaction GIF

Netflix gonna Netf- HBO gonna HBO
His explanation made perfect sense. So I dont really give a damn.
Spores are in small pockets in the game, not like its some huge factor. Another method of infection can work better in a TV show.
And if need be, they can add it into season 2.

Top Bottom