• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, the wait shouldn't be unbearable. E3 is right around the corner. I reckon those few last days will fly by.

Yeah, you're right....E3 will be awesome this year...but still... been a long time I was this pumped. Watched The Road yesterday again, and now I'm really hyped.

@ Nib95: Level.Up google translate:

The Good:
The combat system allows multiple approaches in each encounter. Superb level design. Soundtrack shocking and according to the game's atmosphere. Screenplay smart and provocative. Good workmanship in the development of the characters and their relationships. Many details support the plausibility of the title. The various game systems interrelate harmoniously.
The bad
Artificial intelligence does not always act naturally.

To be fair, the wait shouldn't be unbearable. E3 is right around the corner. I reckon those few last days will fly by.

Wonder how many more 10's it needs before it hits 97? Can't read the review unfortunately, no English :(
Pretty unlikely it will ever hit that. 4players is not in yet for example and they gave a 9.2. It will balance itself out at 96 I think.

Calibus

Damn my PS3 YLoD-ing on me :(

Last of Us seems like the PS3's swan song, and if not, then the title that ends up bearing that mantle will certainly be incredible.

Damn it YouTube, stop playing The Last of Us T.V spots before I watch all my stuff! Every damn time! I don&#8217;t wanna see iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! >_<

By the way guys, during E3 remember to disable the comments section when watching the conferences. It'll be the hot-spot for spoilers.

nib95

Banned
Cool beans. Thanks for the translated summary. And yea, 96 is absolutely solid. In all honesty I thought things would be a lot more divisive reviews wise.

meppi

Damn! I've been ignoring this game for a long time now ever since I saw a preview that looked quite dull.
Starting to think I'll be missing out in a big way if I'm going to pass this up...

Aw screw it. Just preordered. :D

Damn! I've been ignoring this game for a long time now ever since I saw a preview that looked quite dull.
Starting to think I'll be missing out in a big way if I'm going to pass this up...

Aw screw it. Just preordered. :D

anger-management-o.gif

This will be the first game in a very long time Im going to get day 1. Now Im just conflicted whether or not I should turn off listen mode...

CREMSteve

Wonder how many more 10's it needs before it hits 97? Can't read the review unfortunately, no English :(

97 would make it the second-highest rated game across all platforms, ever (tied with GTA3, Tony Hawk 3, Mario Galaxy 1/2).

Only one hit 98 (GTA4).

iNvid02

wtf, new comments actually pop up in the lower right on the gamespot site

if someone were to post a spoiler it would actually rise up from the comments section

uzubn.gif

Cool beans. Thanks for the translated summary. And yea, 96 is absolutely solid. In all honesty I thought things would be a lot more divisive reviews wise.

So did most people according to the metacritic predictions. 96+ only happens a handful of times a generation.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
wtf, new comments actually pop up in the lower right on the gamespot site

if someone were to post a spoiler it would actually rise up from the comments section

uzubn.gif

Dude, go full screen on that video. Trust me it's pretty damn funny.

iNvid02

Dude, go full screen on that video. Trust me it's pretty damn funny.

i downloaded it instead, it was pretty great lol

"the game must have been too hard for this asshat. oh i wish i can jump through his noob tube and bitch slap a ho for disrespecting naughty dog. all hail to naughty dog."

"you and your fucked up review is whats wrong with the gaming industry"

ohh the irony

This will be the first game in a very long time Im going to get day 1. Now Im just conflicted whether or not I should turn off listen mode...
Same
This game is a lot of firsts for me

First preorder ever
First digital preorder
First time I'm getting a game day 1 and hopefully at midnight (if PSN doesn't have another meltdown)

For the spoilerphobia folks in here, they only show footage of the official released stuff, story trailer, demo etc.

It's safe to say Tom McShea's review of The Last of Us has stirred up a bit of controversy. Johnny goes to investigate.

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/feedbackula/?event=the-last-of-us-rageapalooza-20130607

Gamespot gave TLoU a 8/10.

Edit: LOL this is pretty funny

Saw it yesterday it's hilarious.

It's also saddening at the same time. So many people calling a game they've never played a masterpiece and that Tom should have given it higher cos others did. That whole episode of feedbackula wrote itself really

I started the game yesterday, i´m 6 hours in and i have to say that so far is not a 10/10 but surely is special. The way the game sucks you into the atmosphere and the characters relationship is incredible.

It´s a 9/10 for me because i hate the fact that a mechanic like the Listen mode is in the game, it completly destroys the game, and the AI companion invisible to the enemies. It´s anticlimatic and takes you out in the most tense situations in the game.

We need next gen AI ASAP.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
that feel when no ot

Sn4ke_911

I started the game yesterday, i´m 6 hours in and i have to say that so far is not a 10/10 but surely is special. The way the game sucks you into the atmosphere and the characters relationship is incredible.

It´s a 9/10 for me because i hate the fact that a mechanic like the Listen mode is in the game, it completly destroys the game, and the AI companion invisible to the enemies. It´s anticlimatic and takes you out in the most tense situations in the game.

You can turn listen mode off.

Edit: You better not give this game a 9/10. We will come for you.

Can't you just turn off Listen Mode?

EDIT: Beaten.... yet again. Also they said they made the decision of no one spotting AI companions purposefully because the opposite would become extremely infuriating.

OwlyKnees

Turn that shit off, then.

spats

My attempt to find an early copy of the game was a colossal failure. :(

The same place that got me Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 over a week early didn't deliver this time. :,(

The_Monk

A local store in here sent me an email saying they already have it in stock but I'm going Digital with this one.

Still they did a nice job hyping the game, giving the pre-order DLC + inFAMOUs game + other chances to get free items such a Uncharted 3 compass and other stuff.

I'm still sad I'm not going to get a Steelbook for this game, but there are none in Europe and ebay is not really my thing.

A local store in here sent me an email saying they already have it in stock but I'm going Digital with this one.

Still they did a nice job hyping the game, giving the pre-order DLC + inFAMOUs game + other chances to get free items such a Uncharted 3 compass and other stuff.

I'm still sad I'm not going to get a Steelbook for this game, but there are none in Europe and ebay is not really my thing.

Y you no take obvious better deal??

just turn off listen mode then.

The_Monk

Y you no take obvious better deal??

Because I would have to pay 50&#8364; + 2.50&#8364; for Shipping while if I get the Digital Version I have a couple of PSN Codes for my Wallet all ready to redeem, add to basket and then play the game fellow GAFfer. And the digital Version is only around 7&#8364; more so it's okay. They also give some Pre-order DLC, Avatars, Dynamic Theme and the OST.

You don't need to use listen mode, hell you can turn it off in the options.
As for the AI, it's not that straightforward. Nothing would be more frustrating than having your stealth blown by something that is out of your control, in this case AI companions, and no matter how good the AI is, there's always a risk of it happening.
ND made the right call there.

This is my first digital preorder. How does it work? Does the game start downloading as soon as it's available (like if I left my Ps3 on and went to bed) or do I have to start the download manually?

Mogwai

I'm going digital. No effing way I want that cotton-crap bag edition. The regular jewelcase version is more expensive. /makesnosense

Anyway, I'm hoping the DD version works just as good while running all data from the hdd. Is this the case with retail games from PS Plus compared to their disc-counter parts?

The_Monk

This is my first digital preorder. How does it work? Does the game start downloading as soon as it's available (like if I left my Ps3 and went to bed) or do I have to start the download manually?

You should be able to start the download at midnight fellow GAFfer. You can start playing the game even if it's not all of it downloaded and they said they were going to use ND's servers or something Similar.

Regarding the other question I believe you have to start download manually. If you have PS + they download the game and install (I believe) if you have the option turned ON however the game is a bit bigger that the average PS Plus titles so you might have not all of the game downloaded even if you have the option turned On. The file size is 24GB by the way and there are two Pre-orders available.

It was gamingreplay right? The fact that monday is a holiday really pisses me off, now they'll only send it on Tuesday.
It's a better deal than getting it from PSN man, not to mention you'll have to wait for the official release date.

Sn4ke_911

Wonder what score they'll eventually give it. Should be interesting. Somewhat decent video review, but focused too much on the combat.

Well it's not the real review since they didn't had enough time to try out the MP and also have high restrictions in showing stuff. They couldn't talk about the beginning and the ending even some voice actors they weren't allowed to talk about. They can only show stuff we've already seen in previous trailers, which is fucking nice if you ask me. GOOD JOB SONY! Don't let them spoil the game for us.

GT will have a full review once the restriction about showing and talking about different parts of the game is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom