• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend Of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes online play will be region locked

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
nIEMdX6.gif

Good. Getting connected to people on the other side of the world and having everyone teleporting around is just terrible.

Single-handedly ruined MH3U on Wii U. The biggest challenge was to be the first in the area with the monster so you are the host.

Maybe your connection is bad. As an European player I've had many good experiences with American players on MH3U (Wii U) and MH4U (3DS) online mode.

In the gif you posted, one player even mentions in the chat that his connection is bad, so it has nothing to do with the American/European merged MH3U server.

NotLiquid

Is this a console restriction or a general online restriction? My girlfriend who lives with me has an NA 3DS so I need to know if I can somehow make this work regardless.

tbd

Maybe your connection is bad. As an European player I've had many good experiences with American players on MH3U (Wii U) and MH4U (3DS) online mode.

It's not only me and that's just how internet works, sadly. "Works on my machine" does not hold water here. My connection is perfectly fine.

In the gif you posted, one player even mentions in the chat that his connection is bad, so it has nothing to do with the American/European merged MH3U server.

He doesn't, though. Hatsune is just from UK and MLX is from Canada, IIRC. Of course that gif is still a worst case scenario, however, even minor lag and stutter is incredibly annoying and I don't need this. Zelda is not a competitive game or something where I want to compete with the best in the world, it's not even PvP.

When I remember the awful times of hitting a Deviljho's head with my hammer but actually not hitting anything because he already moved on the host's TV and how worldwide online was forced in MH3U and some other games, I'm happy it's not even a thing in this game.

Of course being able to choose between regional or worldwide would be even better but ideal online is nothing I really expect from such a game anyway.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Disappointing for sure. I thought that was the whole point of the buttons... so that you could communicate internationally.

Luigi87

I constantly play in rooms full against Japanese players in Splatoon (Canadian here), and Nintendo region locks this? ... Why?

Angel_DvA

Yeah Nintendo just don't get it, I think they deserve their actual position in gaming, refusing to evolve is a sin for humanity.

When I remember the awful times of hitting a Deviljho's head with my hammer but actually not hitting anything because he already moved on the host's TV and how worldwide online was forced in MH3U and some other games, I'm happy it's not even a thing in this game.

If you understand how Monster Hunter's hosting system works yet fail to adapt when you notice host lag, then something is wrong with you, sorry. It's obvious that in such a situation you have to attack a little bit earlier so that your hits are registered on the host's console, especially if you are trying to hit a specific spot like the head or tail. In the terrible situation depicted in the gif, the evident solution is to change room, not blame CAPCOM/Nintendo for allowing America+Europe online play. Region locking was actually a common complaint against MH3 (Wii) if you remember properly.

Hello.

Banned
Of course it will. This is coming from the only company that still regionocks all their consoles.
Exactly. This company makes no fucking sense sometimes. If it wasn't for their prior-entertaining IPs I would've dropped them many a years ago. This is laughable to every degree.

And doesn't region lock the multiplayer of most of it's games - Mario Tennis, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus etc. all allow you to play with people from other regions.
Actually, Mario Tennis Open is region locked. Probably for the same bull excuse of "latency issues."

I don't understand why some games can't be like Mario Kart and offer the option to have both worldwide and regional (except MK8 since that feature was removed).

Dunkley

Well, moderate interest gone to zero.

I've got a lot of friends in the States who are Nintendo fans, and I regularly play Splatoon, Smash, and occasionally Animal Crossing with them. By only being able to play with one group of friends I don't even need online for if local MP is supported, and not the other I'd be left wishing I could play with too, I don't see the point in getting this.

Considering there are pages full of people requesting region locking for Splatoon on here and lots of complaints on Miiverse about it as well. I'm not surprised by this decision. However the choice between regional and global would've been nice.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Considering there are pages full of people requesting region locking for Splatoon on here and lots of complaints on Miiverse about it as well. I'm not surprised by this decision. However the choice between regional and global would've been nice.
So, like mario kart 8?

While it can be argued if it was a good or bad decision to make it regional, I can understand their reasoning, as lag in action games where you depend so much on each other can be rather frustrating.

I guess they will be using a similar system like in Splatoon, where one console acts as the host of the session and the two others connect to it. It's rather important to have a stable connection/ good internet in this case.

Region Filter Option: Local/Worldwide

There is no acceptable reasoning for region locking.

spookyfish

Chin up, everyone! We still have that Metroid game that everyone wanted to look forward to!

Dammit, Nintendo.

tbd

If you understand how Monster Hunter's hosting system works yet fail to adapt when you notice host lag, then something is wrong with you, sorry. It's obvious that in such a situation you have to attack a little bit earlier so that your hits are registered on the host's console, especially if you are trying to hit a specific spot like the head or tail.

It's not always the same latency, obviously, and perfectly predicting where a monster will be in one or two seconds, especially something as fast as Savage Deviljho, is hardly reliable. Then they also stutter and teleport.

I know some monsters inside out and it still bothers me. Even if all my hits would get registered, hitting thin air is not fun.

In the terrible situation depicted in the gif, the evident solution is to change room, not blame CAPCOM/Nintendo for allowing America+Europe online play.

Then it's shit for the other people, though.

Region locking was actually a common complaint against MH3 (Wii) if you remember properly.

And rightfully so but when forced worldwide is the alternative I gladly accept region-lock instead. Nothing worse than lag.

Genki

Is local multiplayer region locked as well? I have a Japanese 3DS, my girfriend(and anyone else I know for that matter) does not.

bomblord1

Banned
Doesn't affect me in any way shape or form so I'm having a hard time mustering disappointment. In fact this literally only helps me because it should mitigate lag issues.

sonto340

On one hand in this affects me in no way because I'll be playing with US friends.
On the other hand this is a shitty business practice that I don't exactly understand the point of.

Maybe lock randoms to region to ensure that just jumping in doesn't make the game look like a disaster, but at least allow friends to play across regions.

LaserHawk

one step forward, two step back

I think you don't understand that expression. It implies that Nintendo actually lost ground here. They didn't. Online mode in this game is a step in the right direction, even if it's not quite as good as you think it is.

Lol, there's always something when it comes to online with Nintendo isn't there?

Hopefully there will be a patch, but not counting on it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Meh, I was going to play the game purely as a single player affair so this doesn't bother me.

Though it does suck for the people who wanted to play with other region but there was probably a reason why the on-line play is region locked.

Nilaul

If you wan to play with an oversea friend wouldn't that be possible in a private match and adding in them by FC?

Hikami

and just like that.. purchase cancelled.

I was looking forward to playing with a friend that's overseas. smh Nintendo

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
And doesn't region lock the multiplayer of most of it's games - Mario Tennis, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus etc. all allow you to play with people from other regions.

Actually Mario Tennis Open was region locked, by IP no less, so the online was simply unplayable if you weren't in the right region.

I'm not sure about Triforce Heroes now, the lack of 2 player was bad enough already. If it's region locked by system region then I might just be able to swallow it, if it's IP locked then they can go fuck themselves.

Zero_IYAD

Oh, you're a Canadian doctor working on a volunteer mission in the Middle East! That's so cute.. FUCK YOU.

Not buying it anymore.
Mario Tennis Open was unplayable for me, I couldn't play a single online match!
Go fuck yourself Nintendo.
This keeps happening over & over again.
Even their trashy Club Nintendo with it's trashy rewards was region-locked! & if they find out you're currently NOT in your house in NA, they just block your whole account.

Y'know what's bizarre?

It's not just online that's region locked in some of these games.

It's local, too. A European friend and I once tried to play Mario Kart 7 locally. His 3DS was EU, with an EU copy of the game. Mine was NA. Couldn't even connect locally.

Grade A bullshit, I tell you what. There's literally no point to this.

Considering the largest reason I had for getting this game was to play with said friend, I can safely cancel it now. Horray!

Top Bottom