• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lovely horror of The Evil Within (warning: many pics and location spoilers)

I love my mom and dad with all my heart, but I can't imagine them doing that, lol. Growing up, I always wanted to show them a full-length game. I think that's pretty cool your parents are open-minded enough to watch a whole game like that. :)

Did they have any particular reactions you remember? Certain scenes, etc? (I'll leave it to your judgment whether you want to use spoiler tags!)

My folks have always been big scifi/horror/action fans, so even as a kid they'd sit with me and watch R rated monster flicks etc. Back when REmake first hit the Gamecube, my mom would sit in the living room and watch me play, and she ended up getting super into the RE series as a result. My dad is more on and off when it comes to watching me play games, but if it's something non-military, he tends to sit down and get glued.

For example, I was playing Dark Souls 3 in the living room today, and they just kinda wandered in at some point with snacks so they could watch lol.

My mom was big on all of the Laura sequences. Lots of screams.

Bought it, you've all done a great job selling it lol. Hopefully the PS3 version doesn't run too bad, I'd be happy with a similar performance to Alien Isolation, whose old gen versions were criticised but I found it more than acceptable.

The PS3 version is the worst version of the game, but it is still playable, IMO.

Jharp

Personal GOTY of 2014. So much so I bought it on PS4 and PC. Loved this goddamn game so much. Too bad the Kidman DLC turned out to be pretty mediocre. Still haven't played the Keeper pack.

RedSwirl

Probably already been mentioned in this thread, but I think the art direction for TEW was handled by an artist who worked on REmake and possibly RE4. Can't fully recall. That's one of the main reasons I was interested in the game and in that aspect I wasn't let down. TEW looks excellent art-wise.

At the same time, I agree with the criticisms about it being generic in its application of horror. TEW does feel like it just smashes a bunch of horror tropes together without any real meaning, but the execution of that was really well-done.

Neiteio

Probably already been mentioned in this thread, but I think the art direction for TEW was handled by an artist who worked on REmake and possibly RE4. Can't fully recall. That's one of the main reasons I was interested in the game and in that aspect I wasn't let down. TEW looks excellent art-wise.

At the same time, I agree with the criticisms about it being generic in its application of horror. TEW does feel like it just smashes a bunch of horror tropes together without any real meaning, but the execution of that was really well-done.
Yeah, it's the same artist from REmake. But generic applications? I haven't heard that before. If anything, I think they took many disparate threads and wove them together in a way that makes sense and feels cohesive. One grand tapestry.

Someone could look at a scene of western horror vs. eastern horror and still immediately identify it as TEW based on the unique vibe the game has. I think they put a lot of thought into reconciling all of these different inspirations in a way that makes them feel cohesive and consistent. :)

Neiteio

BTW, someone asked earlier if there's an "easy" difficulty. Well, the default is Survivor, but there is a difficulty level below it. The description says it offers more resources, etc. So there ya go!

As i stated just rebought on PC with the season pass.
great deal on GMG.

Hope to post my own screens here shortly
Nice! Looking forward to it!

Neiteio

Oh god... playing this game with surround sound headphones right now...

anigif_original-grid-image-5533-1420850290-5.gif

Who needs sleep anyways

Neiteio

Some shots I took from the Village of Elk River, in Ch. 3... which seems to run fine without bars on PS4 now. Patched?

Just wish the PS4 could capture gifs, so I could showcase touches like the leaves on the wind, the laundry fluttering in the breeze, the mist and flashes of lightning, the crackling fires and flickering candles, the bugs spilling out of the cracked mirror, etc.

tew-mine01238uae.png

tew-mine011s8u9c.png

tew-mine010m6ux7.png

tew-mine009auudj.png

tew-mine008ewuhw.png

tew-mine007lcuuo.png

tew-mine006t6uzv.png

tew-mine005gjue9.png

tew-mine004vjul4.png

tew-mine003d0u4m.png

And a few from the Sadist's blood-chute in Ch. 1:

tew-mine013yrucv.png

tew-mine0145tuei.png

tew-mine015dzuwh.png

Damn, the impressions and Images in this thread make me Kind of regret my decision to sell it after i finished the game few weeks after launch.
The gameplay was fun, the gore was satisfying but i remember the Story to be very confusing towards the end and being another
it was all just in your head!!1
conclusion.

Hesemonni

Banned
not a one?
DS4/360/X1?

i have 2 of those but i was just curious if its recommended
I have Xbone and 360 controllers for the consoles, but since they're wireless and I have no way of connecting them to PC I'm outta luck :/

Played the game through on PS4 when I owned one, but I've been curious ever since how the game is with acceptable framerates.

I have Xbone and 360 controllers for the consoles, but since they're wireless and I have no way of connecting them to PC I'm outta luck :/

Played the game through on PS4 when I owned one, but I've been curious ever since how the game is with acceptable framerates.

cant you just use a mini usb cable to connect?

Neiteio

Damn, the impressions and Images in this thread make me Kind of regret my decision to sell it after i finished the game few weeks after launch.

The gameplay was fun, the gore was satisfying but i remember the Story to be very confusing towards the end and being another
it was all just in your head!!1
conclusion.
I felt that way at first, but the more I've thought about it, the more I like it. There are some heavy implications to it all.

Major story spoilers (and I mean MAJOR — don't click if you haven't played!):

STEM is a vast neural network formed by linking together the brains of many people. Their conscious and subconscious mind; their perception; their memories; their emotions. Everything links together and creates what is functionally an alternate reality. Another world. And the way a certain organization is interested in it, it might actually be another dimension, but it's too early to say.

At any rate, there are still laws — an internal logic, created by everyone contributing — that governs the STEM world. Gravity still applies; time still passes. Locations like the city, village, etc, have a fixed geography. Destructible objects can still be destroyed. But the host of the world — Ruvik — is capable of imposing another layer of reality, the Horror Zone, drawn from his subconscious. And it appears that when he finds people, he can take them to other locations in STEM at will. But therein lies the rub: While he's the master of the world, Ruvik is not all-seeing or all-knowing. He still has to search for Seb, Leslie, etc., in order to deal with them.

That's where his pawns come into play. The Haunted are people, living (still jacked into STEM) or dead (killed while connected), whose minds (or echoes thereof) have been corrupted by Ruvik's madness. In Ch. 2, Seb comes across several people who are entranced by a lighthouse on the lake — a lighthouse that according to a note near the fire, they don't remember being there, yet every time its beacon passes over them, they feel like they lose their memories. The lighthouse sweeps the surroundings like a searchlight — it is a symbol for Ruvik's searching eye. According to the model viewer, the Haunted crave to have their memories back, which is why they feast on the brains of their victims, thinking they'll find their lost thoughts inside.

Other creatures are also the result of merging with Ruvik's madness. AlterEgo, with its two heads, is the result of Ruvik merging with the mind of someone with dissociative personality disorder. The Keeper is a man (with a backstory in the DLC, The Executioner) who merged with Ruvik's desire to keep his secrets safe. Laura Reborn is Ruvik's guilt over the death of his sister, and the fear she'll come back for revenge; her weakness to fire is likewise the result of his trauma over the incident at the barn. Quell is Ruvik's desire to stay hidden (fitting for a creature capable of optical camouflage). Amalgam Alpha and Amalgam, as their names suggest, are the combination of many minds with Ruvik's madness. Shade, in the Kidman DLC, is Ruvik's desire to find Leslie — hence the searchlight, another use of that symbol. And one of my favorites is Trauma, the creature with the broken crucifix on its back — Ruvik's concept of death and rebirth, and the rejection of the religion his father forced on him.

And yet other creatures come about in different ways. The giant spider, Heresy, is someone who rejected STEM and became a lost soul within it. Shigyo is the mind of a victim who perished while drowning; they were women self-conscious of their crooked smile, hence the braces. And sometimes the monsters are real-life creatures, remembered by someone connected to STEM. Therein lies some intriguing implications.

It's heavily suggested an Illuminati-like cult had been working on their own prototype of STEM for centuries, maybe millennia. We see their work in the lab under the churchyard cemetery at Cedar Hill. They also created monsters such as Sentinel and the Twins. Clearly, someone linked to STEM has vivid memories of these creations, the lab, and the rest of Cedar Hill, hence why that data was available in the STEM world.

In fact, the other locations have similar suggestions: The Village of Elk River appears because Ruvik abducted villagers from there for his experiments, blaming them for the death of his sister when they set fire to the barn to protest his family buying land. When those villagers were connected to STEM, they contributed their perception of the place, their memories and emotions. Same goes for residents of Krimson City who were abducted and connected to STEM, creating the city within the STEM world. And of course, Ruvik himself is the reason for the Victoriano estate being there. And with mental patients being the main source of material for STEM, it's no surprise that Beacon Mental Hospital is the nexus of this world.

A foreign organization instated Dr. Jimenez at the hospital. I can't recall whether he guided Ruvik in his research or if Ruvik found evidence of the cult's STEM and went about completing it in order to create a world where his sister could be restored. Either way, Ruvik killed his parents and agreed to continue donating to the hospital in exchange for mental patients to use in his experiments. And Dr. Jimenez was happy to oblige. When the work was done and STEM was complete, the organization turned on Ruvik and destroyed his body. Only his brain remained as a key component of STEM. But what they didn't anticipate is that his unstable mind would remain at work in the system, a malevolent force that they now needed to exorcise if they were to use that alternate reality for their own purposes. Perhaps this is why numerous policemen were jacked into STEM, in the hopes one would take Ruvik down.

Of course, Ruvik ends up escaping. He tracks down Leslie, the mental patient with an especially pliable mind who emulates the thoughts and behaviors of others. Ruvik supplants Leslie's personality and escapes into the real world. And this is where the ending becomes a bit interpretive: Seb's headache and Leslie glitching out once they're back in the real world. If I recall correctly, I see this as Leslie (now Ruvik) still able to exert influence over those who connected to STEM. What Ruvik will do next remains to be seen. Presumably he's out for revenge.

All in all, it's some great lore. It's been a while since I've gotten back into this game, so it's still coming back to me. But they've created an amazing world.

As someone who enjoyed the evil within, I gotta say this is a damn good thread op. Sure it wasn't a perfect game but I appreciated it for what it's worth.
that part with the 2 box head guys freaked me the fuck out
I never felt crazy tension like that before same feeling I got when the chainsaw guy would slice Leon's head. I did everything to prevent that so I wouldn't have to see that gross shit lol

Melchiah

BTW, someone asked earlier if there's an "easy" difficulty. Well, the default is Survivor, but there is a difficulty level below it. The description says it offers more resources, etc. So there ya go!

It was me. Thanks for answering my question. I may have to buy the game, when it's on sale the next time.

News Bot

Banned
Gameplay was mediocre, story was ass. In my opinion. Some standout sections, but mostly mediocrity.

I remember one part when Seb bridges a gap to get to Joseph and they run away before the Haunted cross. Why not just... pull the bridge away?

Malcolm9

Great game, very underrated. I played the game with the borders prior to the patch and enjoyed every minute of it, removing it later was good but I liked the atmosphere it helped bring, almost like a claustrophobic effect.

This is a better "Resident Evil" game than what RE 5 or 6 brought to the table.

Neiteio

Great game, very underrated. I played the game with the borders prior to the patch and enjoyed every minute of it, removing it later was good but I liked the atmosphere it helped bring, almost like a claustrophobic effect.

This is a better "Resident Evil" game than what RE 5 or 6 brought to the table.
Yeah, while I'm currently playing without the black borders on PS4 (and I'm pleased to say the game runs fine without them — just a tad of slowdown when spinning the camera past a light source in the very opening scene in the rain), I also liked the borders. Like you said, they had this claustrophobic effect, and I found they hyper-focused my mind during intense moments like (Ch. 10 spoiler)
shooting the switches while Laura approaches

So I think they have value. Right now I'm playing without them, though, simply to take in more of the world at once. TEW is such a fantastic journey, visiting so many memorable and richly detailed places. :)

I felt that way at first, but the more I've thought about it, the more I like it. There are some heavy implications to it all.

Major story spoilers (and I mean MAJOR — don't click if you haven't played!):

STEM is a vast neural network formed by linking together the brains of many people. Their conscious and subconscious mind; their perception; their memories; their emotions. Everything links together and creates what is functionally an alternate reality. Another world. And the way a certain organization is interested in it, it might actually be another dimension, but it's too early to say.

At any rate, there are still laws — an internal logic, created by everyone contributing — that governs the STEM world. Gravity still applies; time still passes. Locations like the city, village, etc, have a fixed geography. Destructible objects can still be destroyed. But the host of the world — Ruvik — is capable of imposing another layer of reality, the Horror Zone, drawn from his subconscious. And it appears that when he finds people, he can take them to other locations in STEM at will. But therein lies the rub: While he's the master of the world, Ruvik is not all-seeing or all-knowing. He still has to search for Seb, Leslie, etc., in order to deal with them.

That's where his pawns come into play. The Haunted are people, living (still jacked into STEM) or dead (killed while connected), whose minds (or echoes thereof) have been corrupted by Ruvik's madness. In Ch. 2, Seb comes across several people who are entranced by a lighthouse on the lake — a lighthouse that according to a note near the fire, they don't remember being there, yet every time its beacon passes over them, they feel like they lose their memories. The lighthouse sweeps the surroundings like a searchlight — it is a symbol for Ruvik's searching eye. According to the model viewer, the Haunted crave to have their memories back, which is why they feast on the brains of their victims, thinking they'll find their lost thoughts inside.

Other creatures are also the result of merging with Ruvik's madness. AlterEgo, with its two heads, is the result of Ruvik merging with the mind of someone with dissociative personality disorder. The Keeper is a man (with a backstory in the DLC, The Executioner) who merged with Ruvik's desire to keep his secrets safe. Laura Reborn is Ruvik's guilt over the death of his sister, and the fear she'll come back for revenge; her weakness to fire is likewise the result of his trauma over the incident at the barn. Quell is Ruvik's desire to stay hidden (fitting for a creature capable of optical camouflage). Amalgam Alpha and Amalgam, as their names suggest, are the combination of many minds with Ruvik's madness. Shade, in the Kidman DLC, is Ruvik's desire to find Leslie — hence the searchlight, another use of that symbol. And one of my favorites is Trauma, the creature with the broken crucifix on its back — Ruvik's concept of death and rebirth, and the rejection of the religion his father forced on him.

And yet other creatures come about in different ways. The giant spider, Heresy, is someone who rejected STEM and became a lost soul within it. Shigyo is the mind of a victim who perished while drowning; they were women self-conscious of their crooked smile, hence the braces. And sometimes the monsters are real-life creatures, remembered by someone connected to STEM. Therein lies some intriguing implications.

It's heavily suggested an Illuminati-like cult had been working on their own prototype of STEM for centuries, maybe millennia. We see their work in the lab under the churchyard cemetery at Cedar Hill. They also created monsters such as Sentinel and the Twins. Clearly, someone linked to STEM has vivid memories of these creations, the lab, and the rest of Cedar Hill, hence why that data was available in the STEM world.

In fact, the other locations have similar suggestions: The Village of Elk River appears because Ruvik abducted villagers from there for his experiments, blaming them for the death of his sister when they set fire to the barn to protest his family buying land. When those villagers were connected to STEM, they contributed their perception of the place, their memories and emotions. Same goes for residents of Krimson City who were abducted and connected to STEM, creating the city within the STEM world. And of course, Ruvik himself is the reason for the Victoriano estate being there. And with mental patients being the main source of material for STEM, it's no surprise that Beacon Mental Hospital is the nexus of this world.

A foreign organization instated Dr. Jimenez at the hospital. I can't recall whether he guided Ruvik in his research or if Ruvik found evidence of the cult's STEM and went about completing it in order to create a world where his sister could be restored. Either way, Ruvik killed his parents and agreed to continue donating to the hospital in exchange for mental patients to use in his experiments. And Dr. Jimenez was happy to oblige. When the work was done and STEM was complete, the organization turned on Ruvik and destroyed his body. Only his brain remained as a key component of STEM. But what they didn't anticipate is that his unstable mind would remain at work in the system, a malevolent force that they now needed to exorcise if they were to use that alternate reality for their own purposes. Perhaps this is why numerous policemen were jacked into STEM, in the hopes one would take Ruvik down.

Of course, Ruvik ends up escaping. He tracks down Leslie, the mental patient with an especially pliable mind who emulates the thoughts and behaviors of others. Ruvik supplants Leslie's personality and escapes into the real world. And this is where the ending becomes a bit interpretive: Seb's headache and Leslie glitching out once they're back in the real world. If I recall correctly, I see this as Leslie (now Ruvik) still able to exert influence over those who connected to STEM. What Ruvik will do next remains to be seen. Presumably he's out for revenge.

All in all, it's some great lore. It's been a while since I've gotten back into this game, so it's still coming back to me. But they've created an amazing world.

Great post. This should be quoted when the 'lack of story' complaints come up. The reality is the story is there but presented in a way you'd see in a series more like Siren or Silent Hill than a modern third person shooter that spoon feeds it through cutscenes. They probably expected people to be more receptive to a more vague story that you need to dig deeper to really understand but misjudged the current market, and left a lot of people feeling confused and frustrated by it. The VO and script problems I mentioned earlier no doubt contributes to that.

The 'read between the lines' story of this game was really interesting to me though, finding little segments of memories and having to piece together the big picture is what I liked about it. And as I said the final 'revelations' about the end of the game really blew my mind at the time at how much sense it made retrospectively.

I mean without an understanding of the overall plot, the environments can just seem randomly thrown together and make the game feel like they just made their own levels and then pieced them together at the end. The lack of a sense of a singular 'place' was a big complaint when the game came out, but if you look at it knowing what all is going down you can see why they did that and the story justification for it.

Neiteio

Great post. This should be quoted when the 'lack of story' complaints come up. The reality is the story is there but presented in a way you'd see in a series more like Siren or Silent Hill than a modern third person shooter that spoon feeds it through cutscenes. They probably expected people to be more receptive to a more vague story that you need to dig deeper to really understand but misjudged the current market, and left a lot of people feeling confused and frustrated by it. The VO and script problems I mentioned earlier no doubt contributes to that.

The 'read between the lines' story of this game was really interesting to me though, finding little segments of memories and having to piece together the big picture is what I liked about it. And as I said the final 'revelations' about the end of the game really blew my mind at the time at how much sense it made retrospectively.

I mean without an understanding of the overall plot, the environments can just seem randomly thrown together and make the game feel like they just made their own levels and then pieced them together at the end. The lack of a sense of a singular 'place' was a big complaint when the game came out, but if you look at it knowing what all is going down you can see why they did that and the story justification for it.
Yep. And they actually reveal the true nature of things halfway through the game (around Ch. 8, when Seb catches up with Jimenez), but even then the full implications don't become clear until the end of the game, when all things are considered in hindsight.

It's a tight plot with a tight structure, where every detail is purposely placed. Very well-done story. And the fact that the
monsters at Cedar Hill were real-world creations
gives the narrative near-infinite potential beyond
the mental world of STEM
. I could see a potential sequel
bouncing back and forth between the two worlds

Cyrano

Really like the Sunflowers post in the OP.

My problem with The Evil Within is pretty much the same as all horror games: too much body horror, not enough psychological horror.

Or one being very unevenly distributed and thus minimizing the usefulness of the other.

The proposal of horror (that something is wrong, that something bad is happening), rather than the actual "horror" has always been more interesting to me. Once you manifest the horror, you give way to understanding. The mind always constructs things far worse than we can realistically give form to, but once you provide the form, those nightmarish thoughts are shattered.

Aske

Great timing. I just beat TEW (PS4, Survivor) a couple of days ago. The game is an underrated masterpiece. Not for everyone, but as I played, I felt that every facet was crafted to be exactly what Mikami wanted. I'd have loved an RE4 style melee attack for the enemies you can stagger but can't stealth kill, but that's my only criticism playing it in 2016, post patches.

Loved the variety, the pacing, and the relentless stress the game heaps on the player. Pure, perfect survival horror. And for all the complaints about difficulty, it's incredibly fair too. It'll drip feed you ammo whenever you need it, and is generous with its checkpoints.

Downloaded all the DLC as soon as I'd finished the main game. Just started The Consequence. Loved The Assignment.

I'm shocked by how poorly this game was received. It must have been a technical monstrosity at release.

kodecraft

Despite the love for TEW in this thread, I honestly want a NEW IP announced from Tango next.

TEW 2 starring a whole new protagonist, new antagonist, refined game mechanics, different setting, but all still linked to STEM is what I want after their next game.

This is essentially Mikami's alternate Resident Evil.

Great timing. I just beat TEW (PS4, Survivor) a couple of days ago. The game is an underrated masterpiece. Not for everyone, but as I played, I felt that every facet was crafted to be exactly what Mikami wanted. I'd have loved an RE4 style melee attack for the enemies you can stagger but can't stealth kill, but that's my only criticism playing it in 2016, post patches.

Loved the variety, the pacing, and the relentless stress the game heaps on the player. Pure, perfect survival horror. And for all the complaints about difficulty, it's incredibly fair too. It'll drip feed you ammo whenever you need it, and is generous with its checkpoints.

Downloaded all the DLC as soon as I'd finished the main game. Just started The Consequence. Loved The Assignment.

I'm shocked by how poorly this game was received. It must have been a technical monstrosity at release.

Well said

Despite the love for TEW in this thread, I honestly want a NEW IP announced from Tango next.

TEW 2 starring a whole new protagonist, new antagonist, refined game mechanics, different setting, but all still linked to STEM is what I want after their next game.

This is essentially Mikami's alternate Resident Evil.

I'd also love a sequel for that extra polish. While I loved TEW's gameplay, a few janky moments here and there basically settled it on the cusp for me. It could have used just a bit more time in the oven to iron out the kinks, I think. No doubt a sequel would refine that shit to a patented Mikami shine.

kodecraft

Man, I've been thinking about this since I finished TEW...

I wish TEW was essentially TEW meets TR2013. An island containing all of the current enemies in TEW. Chasing Leslie throughout that island in TR2013. Running from Laura throughout same Island until it builds to a head and you have to take her down. Falling into a section on the island where you deal with The Keeper, a section of the island looking like Crimson City, lake area of island containing mermaids. graveyard section containing the twins, Mansion area of island....I could go on.

Now imagine controlling a character that plays like Laura from TR2013 but deals with TEW type shit lol. Jumping, hanging onto ledges, reaching out to ledges if close enough from a jump, auto cover.

IMO, this is the survival horror I want!

Thoughts?

Cwarrior

Incredible game all round mechanics and art, you can easly tell an insane amount of work and thought went into this game.

Aske

Incredible game all round mechanics and art, you can easly tell an insane amount of work and thought went into this game.

That was what struck me most. Maybe you don't like the mechanics or the way the game feels, but I feel like an honest player can't deny that everything has been expertly tuned to stress players without ever being unfair to them.

Just got to the part in Consequence where you
lose your best friend
. After playing Assignment in Kurayami mode to pick up the collectibles I missed, the poignancy of this moment was unparalleled.

I won't say the game is as creepy as a good Silent Hill, but I don't think playing any game has affected me so strongly and so relentlessly. Every time I'd stumble into a new area in TEW, my brain would sigh, tense up, and ask "what fresh hell is this?" while I marvelled at the amount of content I'd already clawed my way past. Very reminiscent of a Souls game.

Neiteio

Man, I've been thinking about this since I finished TEW...

I wish TEW was essentially TEW meets TR2013. An island containing all of the current enemies in TEW. Chasing Leslie throughout that island in TR2013. Running from Laura throughout same Island until it builds to a head and you have to take her down. Falling into a section on the island where you deal with The Keeper, a section of the island looking like Crimson City, lake area of island containing mermaids. graveyard section containing the twins, Mansion area of island....I could go on.

Now imagine controlling a character that plays like Laura from TR2013 but deals with TEW type shit lol. Jumping, hanging onto ledges, reaching out to ledges if close enough from a jump, auto cover.

IMO, this is the survival horror I want!

Thoughts?
I think your ideas would make for some really exciting moments! I especially like the idea of the island setting — could foster a sense of intimacy similar to the Spencer Estate from REmake, revisiting different areas of the island over and over, never sure whether they'll be the same or if some new monster is on the prowl.

Not so sure about making Seb play like Laura, though. It could work, but it'd take very careful balancing. I think they pretty much nailed the mechanics in TEW, making Seb capable but not too capable. I think one of the smartest moves they made was dialing back his melee, which took this out of RE4's arcade camp territory and back into the realm of actual survival horror. Your melee is enough to push enemies back and knock them down (and saved my hide several times in Ch. 3 last night), but it's truly a last-ditch resort.

That was what struck me most. Maybe you don't like the mechanics or the way the game feels, but I feel like an honest player can't deny that everything has been expertly tuned to stress players without ever being unfair to them.

Just got to the part in Consequence where you
lose your best friend
. After playing Assignment in Kurayami mode to pick up the collectibles I missed, the poignancy of this moment was unparalleled.

I won't say the game is as creepy as a good Silent Hill, but I don't think playing any game has affected me so strongly and so relentlessly. Every time I'd stumble into a new area in TEW, my brain would sigh, tense up, and ask "what fresh hell is this?" while I marvelled at the amount of content I'd already clawed my way past. Very reminiscent of a Souls game.
Yeah, the pervasive sense of dread in TEW is amazing. I remember in the first half of Ch. 15, I finished off
The Sadist
with my last remaining bullet. Literally my last bullet. He was charging me like a bull and I carefully aimed and dropped him with my last shot. And that's the last level of the game, by which point I had thoroughly upgraded my character and learned to conserve ammo. All of that and I was still scrounging for resources.

That, combined with the enemies being so smart and aggressive, and the shape-shifting nature of the surroundings, and the many hidden places danger can lurk, makes this game consistently tense from start to finish — far, far, FAR scarier than anything I ever experienced in the entire Resident Evil series (and I'm not knocking RE — RE is my No. 1 favorite series in videogames).

I'd also love a sequel for that extra polish. While I loved TEW's gameplay, a few janky moments here and there basically settled it on the cusp for me. It could have used just a bit more time in the oven to iron out the kinks, I think. No doubt a sequel would refine that shit to a patented Mikami shine.
Hmm, not sure I understand the talk of jank. To me, that'd be the exaggerated ragdoll physics or frame pacing issues in one of my other favorite games, Bloodborne. The only thing that really feels "janky" in TEW is the way Seb breaks crates by simply stomping the shit out of them, lol. Endearing in a gamey sort of way, although sort of immersion-breaking when you're sneaking around trying to be quiet!

kodecraft

I think the jank talk is how stiff Seb feels to the player. Loosen him up a bit. Keep the weight.

Again, I'm sure TEW 2 will feel great from a gameplay perspective.

Yea and would have been cool if Seb pick-locked the crates to gain what was inside them, instead curb stombing them mfer's.

Neiteio

I think the jank talk is how stiff Seb feels to the player. Loosen him up a bit. Keep the weight.
Hmm, feels similar to The Last of Us to me. Main thing is it's tricky to turn him in place when crouching (although you can crouch-walk backwards, which is useful when backing away from a corner). Other than that, he controls smooth as butter, imo. I rarely felt like I was fighting the controls.

kodecraft

Hmm, feels similar to The Last of Us to me. Main thing is it's tricky to turn him in place when crouching (although you can crouch-walk backwards, which is useful when backing away from a corner). Other than that, he controls smooth as butter, imo. I rarely felt like I was fighting the controls.

Fair enough, his run animation is jank...anyways..when I got used to controlling Seb I was a master of the playground. But, I had to get used to it although quickly. This is all from a movement perspective.

For the record though, Seb is boring as shit I didn't care about him. I just used him to get through a game that I wanted to play lol.

Only issues I really have with the controls is that the prompt to pick up/activate stuff can be a bit finicky at times, and melee isn't very satisfying and feels awkward. Otherwise it controls totally fine.

A bigger issue is that if you get hit once you drop a match but before it hits the enemy, you get pulled out of the animation and the match doesn't burn the enemy even if it's about to hit them.

But even with that annoyance, the combat and encounters run circles around almost every other action/TPS this gen. A sequel ironing out some of the issues and adding more polish would be godly.

Neiteio

Fair enough, his run animation is jank...anyways..when I got used to controlling Seb I was a master of the playground. But, I had to get used to it although quickly. This is all from a movement perspective.

For the record though, Seb is boring as shit I didn't care about him. I just used him to get through a game that I wanted to play lol.
I think Seb looks cool, and if you read the newspaper clippings and his journal, he has a tragic backstory that's kinda interesting. But yeah, they could swap him out for another character in TEW2 and I'd be fine with that.

Only issues I really have with the controls is that the prompt to pick up/activate stuff can be a bit finicky at times, and melee isn't very satisfying and feels awkward. Otherwise it controls totally fine.

A bigger issue is that if you get hit once you drop a match but before it hits the enemy, you get pulled out of the animation and the match doesn't burn the enemy even if it's about to hit them.

But even with that annoyance, the combat and encounters run circles around almost every other action/TPS this gen. A sequel ironing out some of the issues and adding more polish would be godly.
Pretty sure the melee is supposed to feel unwieldy, like you're struggling to push someone away as a last-ditch effort. But yeah, I've noticed the matches not connecting when an enemy pushes you back. Not sure if this is intentional or not. It does make me be more careful with when and where I use matches!

It'd be cool if Seb delivered wry one-liners when using matches. "Smoking is bad for you," "Have a light," etc.

Would a fan of RE4 enjoy this? Been trying to introduce a friend to the survival horror genre and need a new subject to tackle.

Pretty sure the melee is supposed to feel unwieldy, like you're struggling to push someone away as a last-ditch effort. But yeah, I've noticed the matches not connecting when an enemy pushes you back. Not sure if this is intentional or not. It does make me be more careful with when and where I use matches!

It'd be cool if Seb delivered wry one-liners when using matches. "Smoking is bad for you," "Have a light," etc.

I think their's a better solution to make melee feel like a desperate act and still be satisfying (Last of Us did this) rather than feel like dully smacking a sack of potatoes.

Yeah the match thing may have been a gameplay balance thing to avoid making matches OP, but I find its a very inelegant solution if so.

One liners would have been amazing. The game needed one liners badly.

Would a fan of RE4 enjoy this? Been trying to introduce a friend to the survival horror genre and need a new subject to tackle.

RE4 is my favorite game of all time, and as a consequence of that I love this game. This is as close to an RE4 spiritual successor as we're likely to get. It's not exactly the same game, it's darker, meaner, and rougher around the edges, but it has a lot of the same design philosophies while throwing in some new ideas like stealth, traps, etc.

What I'm trying to say is that it's really good. Not RE4 good, but there's a good chance you'll find plenty to like.

Neiteio

It's the closest thing we've had to a spiritual successor to RE4. It's a lengthy game that feels like a journey, consistently inventive from start to finish, with super-tight shooting mechanics and many memorable set-pieces.

However, please understand that it's real survival horror! Resources are truly scarce, so you'll have to carefully conserve every last bullet. It's often better to lure enemies into traps, or to sometimes run away and hide. The game isn't about stunning enemies for melee finishers; melee is very weak and a method of last resort. So be warned it's much more challenging, and far less forgiving, and much scarier.

I recommend focusing your early upgrades on increasing your stamina, so that you can sprint longer. Your stamina is very limited. Also, don't bother upgrading melee. It's too weak to be relied on for damage.

Also keep an eye out for the Madonna statues; smashing them will yield a key you can use to open the evidence lockers back in the hub world, which provide you with items.

Finally, note that the first two chapters (out of a lengthy 15-chapter game) are effectively tutorials, so they're a bit more restrictive. The first chapter teaches you stealth in a linear environment — sneaking around, running away, hiding, creating distractions — while the second chapter reinforces all of that in an open environment and teaches you combat, sneak attacks, disarming traps, luring enemies, etc.

Then, in Ch. 3, the training wheels come off, and the rollercoaster truly begins!

Neiteio

I think their's a better solution to make melee feel like a desperate act and still be satisfying (Last of Us did this) rather than feel like dully smacking a sack of potatoes.

Yeah the match thing may have been a gameplay balance thing to avoid making matches OP, but I find its a very inelegant solution if so.

One liners would have been amazing. The game needed one liners badly.
I agree melee could probably be improved, although I wouldn't recommend TLoU's approach. I love that game (I've beaten it four times on two systems), but the melee is OP in TLoU. I've cleared out entire crowds of enemies using only my fists and contextual finishing moves (i.e. walls, etc).

One form of melee I absolutely love in TEW is anything involving a torch or hatchet. Super-satisfying torching an enemy or shattering their skull so that Seb is slathered in gore!

(...and now I sound like a serial killer)

I feel like I'm due another playthrough of this; haven't played the DLC yet, so that's as good an excuse as any.

There's no doubt the game is flawed, but it in no way deserves the wholly negative reputation it seems to have on GAF (aside from this thread). If I'm honest, I still don't really understand the story, but the atmosphere, graphics, environments, sound design, setpieces, and creature design are all on point. I find it pretty amazing that the developers basically threw every idea of what horror is or can be into a blender and yet somehow managed to make it work.

It also has some of the best/creepiest loading screens I've ever seen. One that's always stuck in my mind had a dimly-lit room full of mannequins with a muffled sound in the background that I could never quite determine was sobbing or laughter. Brrr.

Game was just all over the place for me. Didn't have the focus of something like Silent Hill 2, and that made it hard for me to buy into the horror. The constant shifting and change in location with little explanation or context was jarring, and not in a good way. It seemed like they just wanted to include every possible horror trope imaginable, rather than focus on a few key themes, locations, and horror elements. It just felt like an unfocused and jumbled mess at times.

That said, there were some legitimately scary moments in the game, and places I thought were well done. The hospital section with the invisible enemies, the first encounter with Laura, the chapter in the mansion with Ruvik...these moments were where I felt the game was at its best. But overall it was a let down.

dyergram

Never played this because I tried the demo on pc and it ran like ass and I read that the ps4 version was bad also. These shots make it look great and make me feel like I missed out especially as a huge re4 fan.

Neiteio

Never played this because I tried the demo on pc and it ran like ass and I read that the ps4 version was bad also. These shots make it look great and make me feel like I missed out especially as a huge re4 fan.
Honestly, I'm playing on PS4 with patches right now and it feels smoother than Bloodborne did with its frame pacing issues. I'd give it another try, although I don't know if the demo was also patched.

Top Bottom