• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Making of Halo 5: The Sprint now on Youtube

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This was excellent. On the Osiris video now. Very good insight into development environments.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
When you look closer to the H5 footage, it doesnt really look that much better than H4. And a lof of lowres effects and textures are in full force too in every footage so far. Maybe the game started as a 360 game... who knows.

I hope they can improve the IQ (Resolution and AA) until release. But its only 3 months to go until the game is probably finished. So i have my doubts :/

Yes I know because you said the same thing in every e3 thread. Image quality will be improved and optimized but perhaps this just isn't for you?

Uhm no?

Halo 5s highest player count is 24 players. So im comparing the nearest to that and that is 32 players in Battlefield.

And still even if there are framerate drops in 64 player modes(early sdk, unfinished sdk etc) its still way more impressive.

Dont know what are you trying to defend here.

You must be exhausted

Sry but i cant believe that they still havent finalized the resolution for the game. 4 months until release, they MUST have something already set in stone.

Will be disappointing when the final game wont reach 900p at least.

Your poor fingers!

Is there another series that has consistently (or inconsistently) put out similar material at all?
Not that I recall. They've done this for Halo for a very long time and they're always a joy to watch. I hope they continue doing this for Halo 5 beyond the E3 demo and Warzone.

Halo: CE Developer Commentary (Jason Jones, Joseph Staten, Martin O'Donnell)

Halo: 2 Developer Commentary (Jason Jones, Joseph Staten, Martin O'Donnell)

Making of Halo 2 - Behind The Scenes (Bungie)

Remaking the Legend - Halo 2: Anniversary (343)

Toa TAK

Banned
Not that I recall. They've done this for Halo for a very long time and they're always a joy to watch. I hope they continue doing this for Halo 5 beyond the E3 demo and Warzone.

Man those first two commentaries were worth the bonus disc for Halo 3 alone.

Really enjoyed the Halo Reach one as well. Would've dug the director skull for ODST if they had the time to put it in there, I'm sure.

Madness

Easily some of the most informative and good ViDoc series in a long time for gaming. Love watching them. 343 really out-Bungie's Bungie with how they've embraced ViDoc's. Remaking the Legend for Halo 2 Anniversary was amazing as well. I hope these continue.

Really great way to show off how much work goes into the minutia of games development and how we don't even acknowledge how long it may have taken someone to do that cinematic we're just dying to press A and forward through etc.

I watched the whole second series for Warzone and E3 demo yesterday too, was somewhat appreciative of the work they do. Don't know, maybe just me.

Crossing Eden

rmvoil.gif

vqymqi.gif

Madness

Although after watching the second part of this, it seems the director is a fan of 'ducks'. The first season had a little cut away to ducks in a pond in Quinn's yard and this time, Tim Longo is near some dock and we see ducks again.

clav

Tim Longo.

That name is familiar.

Wasn't he the director for Star Wars: Republic Commando?

I'm seeing some gameplay elements borrowed from there.

Very cool stuff.

I'm curious about the new thruster tech, in-universe. It makes them so much more agile, I wonder if there's some kind of counter-grav involved? Like with the Mako in ME. I mean, even if she was able to hop like that, she still weighs most of a ton. Springing off the Elite is pretty nuts.

Or it could just be the thrust from the, well, thrusters, doing more traditional counter-gravity work, lol.
Tim Longo.

That name is familiar.

Wasn't he the director for Star Wars: Republic Commando?

I'm seeing some gameplay elements borrowed from there.

He was indeed.

Crossing Eden

Very cool stuff.

I'm curious about the new thruster tech, in-universe. It makes them so much more agile, I wonder if there's some kind of counter-grav involved? Like with the Mako in ME. I mean, even if she was able to hop like that, she still weighs most of a ton. Springing off the Elite is pretty nuts.

Or it could just be the thrust from the, well, thrusters, doing more traditional counter-gravity work, lol.

He was indeed.
I would say it's the thrusters giving her a little boost to the weight of her moves.

The_Decryptor

Neo Member
I'm going to reserve most of the comments until I actually get to sit down and play it, but from what I've seen so far I think it looks great.

It's awesome to see this behind the scenes video too, looking at how the engine looks through development, and the random bugs (Like getting a vehicle throwing you out of the map).

Madness

I know the Sprints are more technical, but no Frankie. 😥😞

He was in the first 'season' of the Sprints during the focus on arena multiplayer lead up to beta, remember when they had the 'Directors' meeting/gameplay. Frank, Bonnie, Josh, Tim and the other senior staff probably only come in on certain days or for the 'big stuff'.

God I love these from MS/Halo teams. Wish MS did more of these for their other games. Give us one for Gears this time too! And Forza!

Also, why the fuck are people talking about graphics here. Whether you love or hate or are indifferent to Halo/MS/Xbox, the videos are great insight on anyone remotely interested in game development, E3 and gaming.

PnCIa

What bothers me the most is that the helmet is a fixed part of the HUD. I really dont get it why anyone would want even more FOV to get taken away by making it visible that you are wearing a helmet. It doesnt create immersion, its just annoying. Maybe 343 will build in a toggle option?

Yes I know because you said the same thing in every e3 thread. Image quality will be improved and optimized but perhaps this just isn't for you?

You must be exhausted

Your poor fingers!

You guys planning on releasing anything going into a bit more detail involving the engine technology the game is using at some point? Pretty please? I'm sure I'm not the only one that is interested in hearing more about the new bells and whistles that the increased horsepower allows.

Man, yeah.

Halo has always set the bar for cool behind the scenes stuff. I haven't watched some of these in years. I think I'll go through them again. Thanks for posting them all. I'm in Halo mode again. Been playing through the old games in anticipation of Halo 5 like I do every time there is a new one.. Just really wish Reach was there.

Joe T.

I geek out for these behind the scenes, 'making of' videos and always wish there were more of them. Great to see 343i continue the tradition for Halo.

ShutterMunster

I love these Bts docs, I think it's great for the team and for fans alike. These docs build a more educated and empathetic audience for game developers to interact with. I really wished other devs would do the same.

thenexus6

Just watched all four - I love this stuff. Shame not many companies produce content like this. I loved watching the Bungie's back in the day as its nice getting an inside look into Halo but also the people working on it.

The audio design / foley section was awesome.

Top Bottom