• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE MUSIC DRAFT - DRAFTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
r-35709-1164940721.jpeg

Gas - Pop (2000)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You

Owen

Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles

(Had such a hard time picking between Rage albums... ultimately went with the one I usually go to first when I haven't listened to Rage in a while)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
AlternativeUlster said:
This Heat - Deceit
UGH, I was planning on this one for next round! Oh well, I stole one from you, you steal one from me.

Cyan said:
No clue who Bob Mould is, but that was a pretty crazy album. Not bad, but so not BR. Into the Unknown indeed.
AU already covered it, but I have not one, but two confessions to make about Hüsker Dü (or rather, Hüsker Dü's members.)

1) Listening to Mould's Body of Work CD for the first or second time, I kind of had it on in the background. All of the sudden, for no real reason I could discern, I shook my head and said to myself, "Huh, I didn't know Bob Mould was gay." I laughed to myself, wondering where in the hell that had come from, and, on a lark, went to Wikipedia to check and found that he is, in fact, gay.

2) Researching last night's intended pick (Hüsker Dü - New Day Rising), I found out that Grant Hart is too.

Please don't take that the wrong way, my opinion of the two changes little based on their sexual orientation (the only change I can think of off the top of my head would be that it gives more context to their work.)

man it seems like most everyone here is into the same kind of music. i doubt I have a chance at winning this :lol

i haven't listened to 70% of the stuff I am seeing lately.

Meliorism

Karma Kramer said:
man it seems like most everyone here is into the same kind of music. i doubt I have a chance at winning this :lol

i haven't listened to 70% of the stuff I am seeing lately.

The general GAF crowd is what you need to worry about, I would think. They outnumber the people here (this is assuming that the general GAF crowd gives a fuck about this).

And wow, yet another good pick. XO is my favorite Elliott Smith album. But Either/Or is close.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
muttyeah416 said:
Elliott Smith - XO

Man, this brings me back to memories of my ex singing in bed "Waltz #2" but with a ridiculous child's voice, complaining about how she will never be the superstar singer she once dreamed about. I think everyone has an Elliott Smith story like that.

Karakand

AlternativeUlster said:
Nevermind about picking my 80s solo female artist album now...:lol
Probably my easiest "encapsulate a style of music into 1 worthy album". Having an English parent has its advantages every now and then. :D

Nihilism said:
The general GAF crowd is what you need to worry about, I would think. They outnumber the people here (this is assuming that the general GAF crowd gives a fuck about this).

And wow, yet another good pick. XO is my favorite Elliott Smith album. But Either/Or is close.

we'll see I guess... i'm trying to cover as many genres as possible (shoegaze, hip-hop/trip-hop, electronic/downtempo, classic rock/folk, alternative/rock, drum n' bass, and now ambient)

Flynn

Chamber said:
This was going to be my hip-hop pick. Ah well.

I was trying to figure out the stand out for the new West coast and that record was the one -- first Quasimoto was my first idea, but Madlib + DOOM just carries so much more.

Here's my drafting strategy -- trying to chose records that could be described as "seminal."

Vox-Pop said:
You did that on purpose, you knew I was going to pick XO.
>:0

*Shakes fist at Muttyeah416*
hahaha *cowers in fear*

There's always the debate of which Elliott Smith album is the best: XO or Either/Or. They are so different and I really love them both, but XO wins because I prefer the richer arrangements. And all those wonderful melodies : )

AlternativeUlster

Squirrel Killer said:
Feist - The Reminder

I love that 10,000 Maniacs record even though I like Our Time in Eden more (it was one of the first 3 albums I ever owned, one of the others being Toad the Wet Sprocket's Fear and the other I am not going to say yet).

AlternativeUlster

muttyeah416 said:
hahaha *cowers in fear*

There's always the debate of which Elliott Smith album is the best: XO or Either/Or. They are so different and I really love them both, but XO wins because I prefer the richer arrangements. And all those wonderful melodies : )

I actually like Figure 8 the best all the way through. I guess that is just me though.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Well, since I can't pick a live record, one of my clear top 10 choices, Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison, will sit on the sidelines. From here on out, I'm just going to pick my most favorite album from my most favorite four bands from across these 45 years.

My choice for #7:

Queen - Queen II

I love this band, I LOVE this band, I LOVE THIS BAND! Clearly, they did more accessible music later, but this album for me is easily their best and contains my two most favorite songs of theirs and, as a bonus, their back to back. Nevermore displays the simple beauty of Freddie's voice and wonderful harmonies. March of the Black Queen, on the other hand, is grand, theatrical and bombastic; all which serve to perfectly describe the essence of this wonderful group. If you only know them by their hits, you owe it to yourself to listen to this extraordinary album....

Flynn

Oh, and on the Mars Volta discussion from before -- I can totally understand why most people hate them. I'm not sure my appreciation for them is entirely rational. But I think I like Francis a little more than Deloused. Francis pretty wild in the way it goes off the rails, yet still contains a radio-worthy ballad.

Their live shows are uneven, but when they're on they're really on. And man, that new drummer is something else.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
muttyeah416 said:
hahaha *cowers in fear*

You better. :p

I think it goes like this:
XO
Either/Or
Elliott Smith s/t
From A Basement On The Hill
I still need to give Roman Candle and Figure 8 a listen.

His covers are amazing, if you can find them give the Nico-Big Star-Beatles covers, Waterloo Sunset-Kinks, Don't Fear the Reaper-Blue Oyster Cult, Harvest Moon-Neil Young a try.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Flynn said:
Oh, and on the Mars Volta discussion from before -- I can totally understand why most people hate them. I'm not sure my appreciation for them is entirely rational. But I think I like Francis a little more than Deloused. Francis pretty wild in the way it goes off the rails, yet still contains a radio-worthy ballad.

Their live shows are uneven, but when they're on they're really on. And man, that new drummer is something else.
Well it seems most people hate them because they were ATDI fans who just wish that band never broke up. If Cedric and Omar didn't have those roots, they'd just be another progressive band that few give a damn about.

AlternativeUlster said:
I love that 10,000 Maniacs record even though I like Our Time in Eden more (it was one of the first 3 albums I ever owned, one of the others being Toad the Wet Sprocket's Fear and the other I am not going to say yet).
Being first is a big influence, In My Tribe was one of my first CDs (somewhere in the first 10-15.) Our Time in Eden would be a close second of the 10,000 Maniacs albums qualified for the draft. The These Are Days video is just a wonderful image.

That said, I considered only one of my first four CDs for the draft
The Mighty Lemon Drops - World Without End
Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars
New Order - Substance
Siouxsie & the Banshees - Peepshow

AlternativeUlster

DataStream said:
Galaxie 500 - On Fire

Great great record but I like This is Our Music more mostly because playing Fourth of July incredible loud every 4th and jump around my house in my underwear has been a tradition of mine for like, fuck, 15 years this 4th of July. One of the first bands that 120 Minutes exposed me to.

Flynn

Chamber said:
Well it seems most people hate them because they were ATDI fans who just wish that band never broke up. If Cedric and Omar didn't have those roots, they'd just be another progressive band that few give a damn about.

Yeah, that seems to be the subtext. They'll never live down (at least among the faithful) not being At the Drive In any more.

AlternativeUlster said:
Great great record but I like This is Our Music more mostly because playing Fourth of July incredible loud every 4th and jump around my house in my underwear has been a tradition of mine for like, fuck, 15 years this 4th of July. One of the first bands that 120 Minutes exposed me to.

Twas a hard choice, but "When Will You Come Home" just tugs on my heart strings in a way few other songs can. One of my fav bands.

DataStream said:
Galaxie 500 - On Fire
Thank goodness it was only an alt, I'm firmly into "no one will pick this" territory now.

Alright, I'll pimp this one for you.

When Will You Come Home - A must watch if only to see them playing live in a school gym, complete with emergency exit door and basketball hoop.

Snowstorm

Ceremony - Also, WTF!? Wikipedia says this is on the CD release, but I can guaran-goddamned-tee that it's not on my copy.

AlternativeUlster

Squirrel Killer said:
Being first is a big influence, In My Tribe was one of my first CDs (somewhere in the first 10-15.) Our Time in Eden would be a close second of the 10,000 Maniacs albums qualified for the draft. The These Are Days video is just a wonderful image.

That said, I considered only one of my first four CDs for the draft
The Mighty Lemon Drops - World Without End
Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars
New Order - Substance
Siouxsie & the Banshees - Peepshow

I love the These Are Days video. I think I might actually prefer the MTV Unplugged version. I know for a fact that the MTV Unplugged version of Jezebel is 100 times better than the studio version. I would still consider that Siouxsie album for a possible draft pick. The Banshees have tons of great records but sadly, you can only find their best song on singles and greatest hits comps:
Fireworks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38odeHsdR1Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom