• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch isn’t going out quietly - The Verge

LakeOf9

This was supposed to be the year the Nintendo Switch rode off peacefully into the sunset. After a packed 2023 that included hit Legend of Zelda and Super Mario games, the Switch had little on the calendar this year and the prospect of a successor looming. And yet, here we are after a hectic few weeks of gaming news, and Nintendo might just have the most exciting lineup for the rest of the year, besting the likes of Xbox and PlayStation.

The difference is that the Switch has been out three years longer than the most recent Xbox and PlayStation, and Nintendo is clearly gearing up for its successor. It’s not usually this way: the latter years of a console’s lifespan are typically muted, while the company focuses on the next generation. It’s not the time when you get a much-anticipated twist on the Zelda formula. Nintendo even has major Switch games going into next year.

I can say I agree, I expected this year to be dry for the Switch, especially after how packed it was. And the first few months of the year definitely seemed to reinforce that notion. But no, Nintendo went crazy and jam packed the year with cool games again.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
They really wanna steal that PS2 record lol

waynes world want GIF

LakeOf9

I've already pulled the plug on my Switch. Not buying anymore games till the Switch 2.
How long can I go without accessing my Nintendo account before they delete it?
They never delete your accounts

The Zelda game is likely to be one of the best selling of the year, and it was something we didn't know existed a week ago.

They can't keep getting away with it.
Eh, I doubt the Zelda game will outsell COD (and 2D Zelda games aren't as big sellers as the 3D ones are). it will still do very well for sure, but I expect Mario Party and maybe even Luigi to do better.

IAmRei

They really wanna steal that PS2 record lol
to think of it, they might doesnt even care about record much, they wants money of course, to make more games.
i think Ninty also full of passionate game devs, which also led them their abilities to restrain investment and budget vs passion.
if i might say, their passion over video games are their main weapon these few decades.

win or lose, they will keep the investor, budget, and passion in balance. hopefully can still hold for few decades later

Woopah

They definitely stacked the new, good games for the 2nd half of this year, and it looks like it will continue getting good titles in 2025.

Plenty of things for me to play, but I would like to see Switch 2 this calendar year and for it to have more new IPs.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Just as far as my personal gaming habits, it's on life support this year. Used it extensively 2017 - 2023. It's doing fine though, more than I expected really. It's winding down.

Woopah

Well, actually it's not going out anytime soon as far as I can see, it will minimum sell 165M and that's after Switch 2 comes out, if they meet their FY sales projections... Which I don't see it not doing...
Their hardware target is quite ambitious. They'll need a price cut to hit it.

Woopah

Let's see, but IMO they don't need it, Switch is just too popular and they projected an organic reduce compared to last FY anyway
They are expecting a 17.1% decline in a year with no TOTK and no Mario Wonder.

At least from the info we have currently available, the Switch's decline looks a lot steeper than 17.1%.

Hardensoul

They never delete your accounts

Eh, I doubt the Zelda game will outsell COD (and 2D Zelda games aren't as big sellers as the 3D ones are). it will still do very well for sure, but I expect Mario Party and maybe even Luigi to do better.
He/She said one of the best, not the best. I agree CoD is always hard to beat. PAL World and Hell Divers too. But with this game being playable Zelda, it could be up there. Behind them.

Kataploom

Gold Member
They are expecting a 17.1% decline in a year with no TOTK and no Mario Wonder.

At least from the info we have currently available, the Switch's decline looks a lot steeper than 17.1%.
Well, remember new highly hyped games were just announced, maybe they were counting on that

RAIDEN1

The last Nintendo console I brought was the Cube, and I admit I didn't get much mileage out of it at the time...since then I have skipped all of them but I never thought that the Switch would still stand strong as it does, despite the likes of Sony and Xbox saying: "Look at us, we have state of the art gaming here!"

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m really curious what the Switch 2 launch lineup is going to look like. Was not expecting them to go this hard for what will effectively be their final year of Switch.
I imagine they are sat waiting to do this all over again.

3D Mario and Mario Kart 9 are a given for year 1.

Animal Crossing has had a 4 year hiatus already and could easily launch year 1 or 2, Splatoon 4 etc.

That’s not even the tip of the iceberg. Mercury Steam’s next Metroid, easy HD re-releases of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Prime 1 & 2 to pad the schedule.

They are primed and ready to keep going IMO.

Oberstein

They'll help, but they aren't anywhere near the level of TOTK + Mario Wonder

Visions of Mana isn't on Switch.
In fact, it's quite bizarre. I didn't get the impression that it was technically impossible to port. Maybe a deluxe version on Switch 2 is in the works.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, I was honestly surprised at the last Direct. I wasn't expecting much, but it was banger after banger shown.

Either the Switch 2 has to be backwards compatible, or Nintendo really are mad lads.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS2 150M units sold.

Switch creeping up to 150M..... PS2 now suddenly at 160M sold.

Switch creeps up to 160M..... "Uhhhhh, we at Sony would like to unofficially announce PS2 sold 170M. But dont go trying to look for unit sales in our transparent earnings reports. We just forgot to update the charts over 10 years ago"

Robb

Gold Member
Agreed and I’m very thankful for it. Late gen Nintendo consoles have had the absolute driest output, so it’s nice to see Nintendo actually fix that with the Switch.

When TotK came out I was sure that’d be the Switch’s swan-song, and maybe even the final big game I’d purchase for it. Never thought I’d be playing a new mainline Zelda this year, nor a new Mario & Luigi game.

Nintendo is finally firing on all cylinders. Yes they are doing a lot of remakes and cash grabs (always have), but there is a ton of new and interesting content too. Furukawa has been doing an excellent job running the business, while letting the creatives in the company do their thing. I am stoked we are getting what looks to be a NEW traditional Mario & Luigi as swan song for the Switch. And considering how absent some of Nintendo's bigger teams have been the last couple years, I am confident they are going to come out swinging with Switch 2. They know how important it is to have a strong launch and it's clear they are committed to delivering that to convince players to upgrade.

Emedan

Nintendo is finally firing on all cylinders. Yes they are doing a lot of remakes and cash grabs (always have), but there is a ton of new and interesting content too. Furukawa has been doing an excellent job running the business, while letting the creatives in the company do their thing. I am stoked we are getting what looks to be a NEW traditional Mario & Luigi as swan song for the Switch. And considering how absent some of Nintendo's bigger teams have been the last couple years, I am confident they are going to come out swinging with Switch 2. They know how important it is to have a strong launch and it's clear they are committed to delivering that to convince players to upgrade.
Totally agree. I think they really are cooking up some bangers for Switch 2, they want to come out swinging to keep the momentum going. Probably why there was a "delay".

kiphalfton

Gold Member
Hard to care when Nintendo:

- Recycled so many games from previous generations these past 7 years
- Will just re-release whatever exclusive switch games the next couple gens (in which case they will no longer be "switch exclusive").

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
I am starting to believe that the reason why we haven't seen anything of DQ12 is because they're waiting for the Switch 2 to show it off. I can't see Playstation California giving enogh of a shit about DQ to secure some sort of marketing deal. I can see Nintendo giving enough of a shit about DQ to secure a marketing deal, however.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Switch 2 will launch with a Chrono Trigger remake, every Capcom game that missed a Nintendo release in the last decade, certain Final Fantasy ports, CoD, RDR2, CyberPunk 2077, Beyond Good and Evil 2, and a few Xbox games for good measure. Sony might even port over Horizon. We'll be eatin' good.

Sorcerer

Consider that this around Nintendo isn't transitioning from a flop like the Wii-U. I'm sure there is reluctance to support a console like that in the interm. Now the reluctance seems to be on moving on to the new console while the current console is still doing so well.

Totally agree. I think they really are cooking up some bangers for Switch 2, they want to come out swinging to keep the momentum going. Probably why there was a "delay".

That's what the rumor mills are pointing to. Launch year has been really important for Nintendo to ensure a strong start, if they can get the Switch 2 out there with a new 3D Mario game, an enhanced version of Metroid Prime 4, and some other support (Mario Kart?) it will bode well for them. Especially if Sony and Microsoft are still struggling with their release cadence.

Emedan

That's what the rumor mills are pointing to. Launch year has been really important for Nintendo to ensure a strong start, if they can get the Switch 2 out there with a new 3D Mario game, an enhanced version of Metroid Prime 4, and some other support (Mario Kart?) it will bode well for them. Especially if Sony and Microsoft are still struggling with their release cadence.
Metroid Prime 4, Mario 3D and within the launch window at least Zelda Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess, we're bound for a new Mario Kart as well. I can't believe Sony and MS still don't have the "killer app" going into their end years. Nintendo got this bagged, they're definitely first to the new generation.

Top Bottom