• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch isn’t going out quietly - The Verge

tr1p1ex

Said we're getting new 2d games, party games and ports and that's what we got. Nice surprise they looked as interesting as they did.

Also got the MP4 year of release.

tr1p1ex

Hard to care when Nintendo:

- Recycled so many games from previous generations these past 7 years
- Will just re-release whatever exclusive switch games the next couple gens (in which case they will no longer be "switch exclusive").
we're almost past that now. can't drive the car looking in the rear view mirror.

It did suck somewhat for us Wii U owners. Generation will soon be in its 13th year.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

Consider that this around Nintendo isn't transitioning from a flop like the Wii-U. I'm sure there is reluctance to support a console like that in the interm. Now the reluctance seems to be on moving on to the new console while the current console is still doing so well.

They weren't transitioning from a flop when they somehow thought the Wii-U was a good idea either.

Deerock71

They are expecting a 17.1% decline in a year with no TOTK and no Mario Wonder.

At least from the info we have currently available, the Switch's decline looks a lot steeper than 17.1%.
Yet Nintendo hasn't adjusted numbers, which makes one think about what card they might finally be ready to play...

tr1p1ex

Yeah, I mean PS2s sales numbers are impressive in any context, but the Switch never officially dropping price after 7+ years and getting within striking distance ( and still going) is nuts.
Yeah but that 30mn PS2s sold in Asia after the PS3 came out made the total sales less impressive than I once thought.

It's like they found some new market for it. But did the game sales follow or was it just as a DVD player? Was it super dirt cheap? I assume it was. And why didn't they seem to find that same market for the PS3 and PS4? Maybe smartphones made that market go away.

Switch sales are impressive but they have the pandemic asterisk. It not only boosted sales, but the inflation from the pandemic government largesse resulted in roughly 30% higher prices for most everything which is contributed greatly to the Switch not dropping in price.

Last edited:
I wish I felt this way. The new Zelda has me intrigued (think I will wait for reviews/previews on that first as it seems pretty different) and I'm a sucker for Mario Party. But that's 2 games that I find somewhat interesting since ToTK came out. It's been pretty dreadful for me personally. Been fairly pissed with Switch's output the entire generation if Im being honest. I'm sure I'll jump in on switch 2, but I'm usually day 1 for new Nintendo stuff and as of now I'm more wait and see.

Yeah but that 30mn PS2s sold in Asia after the PS3 came out made the total sales less impressive than I once thought.

It's like they found some new market for it. But did the game sales follow or was it just as a DVD player? Was it super dirt cheap? I assume it was. And why didn't they seem to find that same market for the PS3 and PS4? Maybe smartphones made that market go away.

Switch sales are impressive but they have the pandemic asterisk. It not only boosted sales, but the inflation from the pandemic government largesse resulted in roughly 30% higher prices for most everything which is contributed greatly to the Switch not dropping in price.
I'm figuring at a $99 price tag( for Ps2), that's pretty much 'why the fuck not?!' territory lol. With PS3 they positioned it as 'premuim' right out the gate with their pricing strategy( albeit it was a 'cheap' Blu ray player compared to standalone at the time).

All in all, 20 years ago you got major bang for buck waiting 3-4 years before buying a console, on both system and software. Global economics, inflation and whatever else nowadays keeps consoles at launch MSRP or becoming more expensive( Sony increasing the base price on the slim PS5, MS introducing a $599 Series X with increased storage that 'really' should have replaced the current SKUs price point, etc etc).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
PS2 150M units sold.

Switch creeping up to 150M..... PS2 now suddenly at 160M sold.

Switch creeps up to 160M..... "Uhhhhh, we at Sony would like to unofficially announce PS2 sold 170M. But dont go trying to look for unit sales in our transparent earnings reports. We just forgot to update the charts over 10 years ago"
I think it's really close already. That PS2 figure is very inflated. Most of it was tracked as production shipments.. And then when Sony turned to normal shipments, they announced them on top of the production shipments. Some of the sales were counted twice because of that. So I really don't think that PS2 figure we have is very reliable. I never use it because I don't believe in it.

Last edited:

Woopah

In fact, it's quite bizarre. I didn't get the impression that it was technically impossible to port. Maybe a deluxe version on Switch 2 is in the works.
I think a Switch 2 port is very likely. I expect SE to be one of thr best supporters of that platform.
Or a Zelda themed Lite...
It will help, but not as much as the Zelda OLED
PS2 150M units sold.

Switch creeping up to 150M..... PS2 now suddenly at 160M sold.

Switch creeps up to 160M..... "Uhhhhh, we at Sony would like to unofficially announce PS2 sold 170M. But dont go trying to look for unit sales in our transparent earnings reports. We just forgot to update the charts over 10 years ago"
It wasn't sudden. PS2 got to around 160 million by March 2013.

Woopah

yeah PS2 sold like 30mn in Asia after the PS3 came out. Definitely a big asterisk there.
It's still units sold, so I wouldn’t say it's an asterisk.
Yet Nintendo hasn't adjusted numbers, which makes one think about what card they might finally be ready to play...
Well they only just announced the new target, so they wouldn't have had a chance to adjust them yet.Plus it would be a really bad idea to adjust your target after one quarter, so I'm not expecting any change in the Q1 report.

In the last report, Furukawa did talk about using "hardware initiatives", which sounds like price cuts and bundles to me.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Comeback Momma Said Knock You Out GIF by LL Cool J

simpatico

It’s not usually this way: the latter years of a console’s lifespan are typically muted, while the company focuses on the next generation.
When has this ever been the case? I mean maybe it should be, but we usually get heat at the end of gens. All the development hell stuff finally makes it out.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Eh, there's nothing that interests me on Switch in 2024 except playing the splatfests and if they release metroid prime 2 and 3.

Woopah

When has this ever been the case? I mean maybe it should be, but we usually get heat at the end of gens. All the development hell stuff finally makes it out.
It usually the case for Nintendo in the past. E.g. Wii had a poor final two years as Nintendo was trying to make DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U games all at the same time.

They are not facing that problem this this time, since they are mostly concentrating on only one ecosystem and have noticeably grown their number of partner studios this gen.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Gold Member
That's what the rumor mills are pointing to. Launch year has been really important for Nintendo to ensure a strong start, if they can get the Switch 2 out there with a new 3D Mario game, an enhanced version of Metroid Prime 4, and some other support (Mario Kart?) it will bode well for them. Especially if Sony and Microsoft are still struggling with their release cadence.

I secretly hope for a new 3D Zelda at launch. TotK was a glorified DLC so I can't see them having rolled their thumbs on New Switch Zelda since 2017.

magnumpy

I ontinue to love my Switch. sure it's not as high tech as the other consoles, but they are also not as high tech as a ~$4-5k PC. more importantly the battery life is great for what it does, being (very) roughly comparable to a cell phone.

a hypotetical "Switch 2" is something I look forward to of course, but I have no problem waiting for ~Q1 of 2025. gives me plenty of time to save up for the launch lol ^_^

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
As it should.

I may not be the biggest Nintendo fan, but I'm put the Switch up there with some of the greatest consoles ever made. The device has saved me from boredom on many long distance trips.

The Switch 2 will be more of the same, but that's fine and exactly what I'm looking for.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's still units sold, so I wouldn’t say it's an asterisk.

Well they only just announced the new target, so they wouldn't have had a chance to adjust them yet.Plus it would be a really bad idea to adjust your target after one quarter, so I'm not expecting any change in the Q1 report.

In the last report, Furukawa did talk about using "hardware initiatives", which sounds like price cuts and bundles to me.
If they have to adjust numbers so quickly after announcing a forecast, that would mean that they didn't know their own internal data and future releases, clearly they know and threw that number because of that, also we don't know what else they have since they tend to announce most stuff for the months only, with some exceptions sometimes, but only sometimes

Woopah

If they have to adjust numbers so quickly after announcing a forecast, that would mean that they didn't know their own internal data and future releases, clearly they know and threw that number because of that, also we don't know what else they have since they tend to announce most stuff for the months only, with some exceptions sometimes, but only sometimes
I'm sure they have more games for this fiscal year, but I think they put the hardware target they did because they know they are to have a price cut and/or bundles.

We'll have to see if they do that.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm sure they have more games for this fiscal year, but I think they put the hardware target they did because they know they are to have a price cut and/or bundles.

We'll have to see if they do that.
That's a possibility, I'm counting on one of those weird late gen released they do and come out with a TV only Switch, wife want a normal Switch (she has a Lite) but with another console coming next year I rather give mine to get and get a TV only for me and Switch 2 later

BlackTron

Gold Member
I am starting to believe that the reason why we haven't seen anything of DQ12 is because they're waiting for the Switch 2 to show it off. I can't see Playstation California giving enogh of a shit about DQ to secure some sort of marketing deal. I can see Nintendo giving enough of a shit about DQ to secure a marketing deal, however.

They already own Japan, but why not own it again?

Woopah

That's a possibility, I'm counting on one of those weird late gen released they do and come out with a TV only Switch, wife want a normal Switch (she has a Lite) but with another console coming next year I rather give mine to get and get a TV only for me and Switch 2 later
Furukawa did say "hardware initiatives", so I'd say a new model definitely counts as that!

BlackTron

Gold Member
Gotta admit I thought TOTK and Wonder were the last games of real substance and Mario RPG/TTYD marked the late stage of limping to the finish line with ports. Yet here we are with a brand new RPG game as well. Compared to past systems this is a deluge.

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
Gotta admit I thought TOTK and Wonder were the last games of real substance and Mario RPG/TTYD marked the late stage of limping to the finish line with ports. Yet here we are with a brand new RPG game as well. Compared to past systems this is a deluge.
Wonder is up there with World and 3, imho. Really, really good 2D Mario game.

Bridges

What a great investment Switch turned out to be. Price never went down so no regrets there. Amazing new first party games, ports of overlooked Wii U titles and remakes of some of the best games in their catalogue. Miracle 3rd party ports, amazing indie support, retro game collection (admittedly lacking a bit compared to predecessors but still a strength). All done in a hybrid format that was way ahead of its time, proven out now by Steam Deck, PS Portal and whatever Xbox is cooking up.

You can never bet against Nintendo

AngelMuffin

Pretty amazing that the Switch has never gotten an official price drop. Drop it to $199 & the Lite to $99 once the Switch 2 is out. That should be enough to catapult it past the PS2. The $99 PS2 Slim was still selling millions well past its prime.

Last edited:
Top Bottom