• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Folklore/Folksoul Thread - One fantasy can transform a million realities

RaidenZR

Adding my post a moment ago from the other thread:

Woah, I just tried out the demo (finally) and I was really happy with what I played. I loved the title screen's imagery and musical score but was really taken aback by just how decadent the graphical design, style, and particles were presented. The gameplay itself is interesting and seems like it will offer lots of neat scenarios of enemy interactions and boss fights. I also really found the GUI's fantastical nature element to be very pleasing. Just the arrangement of the menus with leaves, twisty vines, and other organic designs put me in a very distinct mood.

This has shot up to the top of my anticipated list of titles. Very cool stuff.

RaidenZR said:
Adding my post a moment ago from the other thread:

Woah, I just tried out the demo (finally) and I was really happy with what I played. I loved the title screen's imagery and musical score but was really taken aback by just how decadent the graphical design, style, and particles were presented. The gameplay itself is interesting and seems like it will offer lots of neat scenarios of enemy interactions and boss fights. I also really found the GUI's fantastical nature element to be very pleasing. Just the arrangement of the menus with leaves, twisty vines, and other organic designs put me in a very distinct mood.

This has shot up to the top of my anticipated list of titles. Very cool stuff.

Yeah the music is actually quite amazing for what it is. The soundtrack is quite large as well, about three disks I believe. I'm working to get some live samples up asap..

Piscopink

Great post!

I'm way into this game as well. Seeing it at TGS a year ago started me drooling for it. It's kinda got that Tim-Burton's-visiting-Japan-while-smoking-crack-for-the-first-time vibe.

Fady K

Excellent job with the thread man, and a game worthy of some hype. Really enjoyed the demo, and the art direction, and especially the music.

XHitoshuraX said:
Yeah the music is actually quite amazing for what it is. The soundtrack is quite large as well, about three disks I believe. I'm working to get some live samples up asap..

Yeah I LOVED the music - 3 discs?? Wow. So the OST is out huh? Whos the composer :0

ChryZ

Fady K said:
Whos the composer :0
Kenji Kawai [Disc 1 - 1, 2, 3, 5 / Disc 2 - 9, 10, 15 / Disc 3 - 1, 5, 6, 10, 19]
Shinji Hosoe (Super Sweep Co.,Ltd.) [Disc 1 - 4, 7, 8, 15, 16, 17, 18 / Disc 2 - 2, 7, 8 / Disc 3 - 2, 3, 8, 9, 14, 17, 19]
Ayako Saso (Super Sweep Co.,Ltd.) [Disc 1 - 9, 11, 12, 13 / Disc 2 - 1, 3, 5, 6, 11 / Disc 3 - 4, 7, 15, 16, 19]
Hiroto Saitoh (STUDIO MINSTREL) [Disc 1 - 6, 10, 14 / Disc 2 - 14 / Disc 3 - 11, 13, 18, 19]
Yuriko Mukoujima [Disc 2 - 4 / Disc 3 - 12]
Irish Folk Song [Disc 2 - 12, 13]

source

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
ChryZ said:
Kenji Kawai [Disc 1 - 1, 2, 3, 5 / Disc 2 - 9, 10, 15 / Disc 3 - 1, 5, 6, 10, 19

Wow. I didn't know he was working in games now, and it turns out he did a stint at Konami programming the audio for SH3 too. Which figures.

Steroyd

It was less than six months ago that Game Republic founder (and Street Fighter II creator) Yoshiki Okamoto

and Street Fighter II creator

This company has my ultimate respect, I would love to see something 2D from them and was called Freet Sighter II and the main characters were called Ury and Nek.

Balls now I'll have to buy Folklore when I get some spare money.

Fady K

ChryZ said:
Kenji Kawai [Disc 1 - 1, 2, 3, 5 / Disc 2 - 9, 10, 15 / Disc 3 - 1, 5, 6, 10, 19]
Shinji Hosoe (Super Sweep Co.,Ltd.) [Disc 1 - 4, 7, 8, 15, 16, 17, 18 / Disc 2 - 2, 7, 8 / Disc 3 - 2, 3, 8, 9, 14, 17, 19]
Ayako Saso (Super Sweep Co.,Ltd.) [Disc 1 - 9, 11, 12, 13 / Disc 2 - 1, 3, 5, 6, 11 / Disc 3 - 4, 7, 15, 16, 19]
Hiroto Saitoh (STUDIO MINSTREL) [Disc 1 - 6, 10, 14 / Disc 2 - 14 / Disc 3 - 11, 13, 18, 19]
Yuriko Mukoujima [Disc 2 - 4 / Disc 3 - 12]
Irish Folk Song [Disc 2 - 12, 13]

source

Shinji Hoseo worked on this??? The other composers seem new to me. Im going to check them out. Thanks ChryZ!

Firewire

Banned
Great OP! Man the artwork in this game is teh awesome! Now I just have to find time to play the demo I downloaded ages ago!

Reviews are quite slow to come in...I'd look for them around the middle of the week. What seems very interesting is the PSP Folklore...its a completely different game, not just a port and is being designed by the creator of Shin Megami Tensei.

Mesijs

I own the review version but only played the prologue with one character. I'm not sure if I'll like it, although the graphical style is great. The intro of the story feels really, really cheesy. The gameplay could turn out interesting but I'll have to play a lot more to find out.

Any statements on how long the game is...?

Added Play's review....go figure...

Well I just completed it yesterday. I'd say its a good 20 hours....if not a little more.

EDIT: Yeah the opening was full of cheese but I liked it that way :lol

Rolf NB

Absolutely do want! Faptastic the demos were!

Who is this Eurogamer I keep hearing about? Some crazy-person blog?

tehbear

Ah my most anticipated game on the triple this year and it's just a little over a week away.

But XHitoshuraX, how come your thread titles are all so poetic? Shouldn't you copy GAF's other hypetastic titles like: "OMG I CANT STOP SHAKING THE AWESOME OF SOUL CAPTURING HOLY FREAKING SOULS!" :D

Mesijs

bcn-ron said:
Absolutely do want! Faptastic the demos were!

Who is this Eurogamer I keep hearing about? Some crazy-person blog?

Ehm, it's actually one of the most respected game sites in the world, but as a non-European you maybe haven't heared about it.

But sometimes they give ridiculous scores. But you know they're always honest and always have their own opinion, that's great about them. And 3/4 of the time their reviews are great and helpful.

dionysus

Yaldog
GAF seems to be of two minds about this game, and I don't know what to think.

From playing the demo, the combat seems to be a very peculiar mix of Zelda and pokeman. "Gotta catch 'em all" in a simplified action/adventure shell. This doesn't particularly appeal to me. But then again, there are alot of reasons to play an action rpg other than the combat system.

I am really interested to hear what peoples opinions of the story and character development are. The art direction and gameplay were addressed enough for me to form an opinion of in the demo, but the others are a big question mark.

Mesijs said:
Ehm, it's actually one of the most respected game sites in the world, but as a non-European you maybe haven't heared about it.

But sometimes they give ridiculous scores. But you know they're always honest and always have their own opinion, that's great about them. And 3/4 of the time their reviews are great and helpful.

Eurogamer took a serious hit in my eyes after the Resistance re-review that featured false facts about the game.

Anyway, the demo pretty much killed any interest I might have had in the game. Felt decidedly like an old, old game in a fancy new dress, and the fancy new dress felt quite random. Not my cup of tea.

djkimothy

European box art looks better IMO. And nice thread! I always enjoy the effort in your official threads XHitoshuraX.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Eurogamer took a serious hit in my eyes after the Resistance re-review that featured false facts about the game.

Anyway, the demo pretty much killed any interest I might have had in the game. Felt decidedly like an old, old game in a fancy new dress, and the fancy new dress felt quite random. Not my cup of tea.

I really appreciate this view on the game. See that's the thing, this game is played in a "older school" RPG. The graphics are amazing and the art is breathtaking but it has a subtle simple feeling to it. T

There is voice acting for important scenes but more times than not the plot is told through comic books style panels with text. Dialouge also occurs in game though a majority of this is not voiced either. What helps make this ok though is the writting and translation. The opening, as Mesjis said, is full of cheese yes but that was partly the intent. The game does have a sort of dark, labrynth-esque feeling to it but it doesn't shy away from humor.

EDIT

djkimothy said:
And nice thread! I always enjoy the effort in your official threads XHitoshuraX.

Appreciate X 10

I've played the demos and I liked the game. This and Uncharted are the only PS3 games coming this year that I have any interest in whatsoever. It's definitely something I'm interested in, but not until it hits $30 or so. It's just not a full-price game. I might spend some store credit on Uncharted this year, depending on reviews.

NoirYuki

Kenji Kawai? Sweet. If his contribution is anywhere near as beautiful (and chilling!) as the Higurashi soundtrack, I'm up for it.

Rolf NB

Mesijs said:
I RROD'd :(
Mesijs said:
That's besides the point, which was just snarcasm really, but let me rephrase: I wuv Folklore and will protect it from evil harm. Really.
It's such an elegant game, gives me all sorts of Castlevania vibes but soothing and beautiful.
I can see the linearity, but such is the nature of games. What an asinine excuse to dock it points. It ain't Sim Folkilizations that's for sure but that's not what it says on the box is it?

I think eurogamer played the import, and didnt understand the story...a silly way to play any rpg.

They were high on FFXII (so am I), so I think they were probably feeling this didnt make the crunch

Fady K

XHitoshuraX said:
Reviews are quite slow to come in...I'd look for them around the middle of the week. What seems very interesting is the PSP Folklore...its a completely different game, not just a port and is being designed by the creator of Shin Megami Tensei.

Thats all we know at this point though, right? I wonder how it will tie in to Folklore.

Mesijs said:
I own the review version but only played the prologue with one character. I'm not sure if I'll like it, although the graphical style is great. The intro of the story feels really, really cheesy. The gameplay could turn out interesting but I'll have to play a lot more to find out.

Any statements on how long the game is...?

The game should last between 20 - 25 hours with both characters AFAIK.

Sysgen

Whatever you do people do not make a decision on Eurogamers review. They also gave Blue Dragon a 5 which contrasts with the majority of this forum or at least those posting in BD threads.

Fady K said:
Thats all we know at this point though, right? I wonder how it will tie in to Folklore.

Well what IS known is that it will interface with the PS3 version. This includes transfering Folk's not in the PS3 version and possibly even a "create a folk" mode...Like I said, it is NOT a port but it hasnt even been confirmed if the plot in that game is somehow linked to Ellen and Keat's journey or envolves a completely seperate story.

NoirYuki

Oh snap. I WANT that soundtrack. Between listening to those samples, and catching some of the music from gameplay videos...

Great, now I really DO want to buy a Triple. Games with pretty colors and beautiful music. This is why I become a gamer in the first place.*

I can totally understand what you mean by a Castlevania vibe, bcn-ron. The elegance is outstanding, from the bits and pieces I'm getting.

*This may not be entirely true, considering Atari music wasn't amazing, though the games were somewhat colorful...ish. Down with brown, I say!

Mesijs

I played some hours more and gathered quite a lot of folks. I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought. The art style is GREAT, it's the most atmospheric game on the PS3 yet, possibly on any next-gen console. The world looks better than you could imagine that fairy tales look. That's fantastics.

I also like the different kind of folks and the powering them up. But I do feel like I'm 'folk-farming' just to get my karma of the folks up, which I don't like.

I also think the combat system/controls could be better. The lock-on function combined with the camera angle sometimes lets you miss your enemies. Also, the dodging doesn't work too good always, as there's a delay sometimes so you don't evade your enemies attacks.

I also don't like the fact that the world is built up of small 'rooms' and 'corridors' with loading screens in between. I hate it. PS3 should have the power to create much bigger worlds without loading screen, with some streaming or something. The loading screens are kind of irritating. I also don't like the fact that the minimap combined with the camera angle let's you confused on where you go sometimes. The Genji-system, which is bad.

I may sound negative. :lol But I'm quite positive on this one. I love all the different folks, I love the style and atmosphere, and I'm always wondering what's next. But there are quite some tangible negative points. Until now the game is good, but certainly not great.

Mesijs

Dante said:
Do cutscenes have voice acting in the game at all, or is all text like the demo?

There are cutscenes with voice-acting, but all of the cartoon-like cutscenes are without voice acting.

Mesijs said:
I played some hours more and gathered quite a lot of folks. I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought. The art style is GREAT, it's the most atmospheric game on the PS3 yet, possibly on any next-gen console. The world looks better than you could imagine that fairy tales look. That's fantastics.

I also like the different kind of folks and the powering them up. But I do feel like I'm 'folk-farming' just to get my karma of the folks up, which I don't like.

I also think the combat system/controls could be better. The lock-on function combined with the camera angle sometimes lets you miss your enemies. Also, the dodging doesn't work too good always, as there's a delay sometimes so you don't evade your enemies attacks.

I also don't like the fact that the world is built up of small 'rooms' and 'corridors' with loading screens in between. I hate it. PS3 should have the power to create much bigger worlds without loading screen, with some streaming or something. The loading screens are kind of irritating. I also don't like the fact that the minimap combined with the camera angle let's you confused on where you go sometimes. The Genji-system, which is bad.

I may sound negative. :lol But I'm quite positive on this one. I love all the different folks, I love the style and atmosphere, and I'm always wondering what's next. But there are quite some tangible negative points. Until now the game is good, but certainly not great.

I agree mostly with this actually lol The "corridor" game play sort of comes with the whole package so it isn't any use to fight it in my opinion. What did you think of the plot, of the characters? I for one was quite impressed...

And the camera system IS NOWHERE NEAR as horrible as it was in Genji 1 & 2.

Fady K

XHitoshuraX said:
Well what IS known is that it will interface with the PS3 version. This includes transfering Folk's not in the PS3 version and possibly even a "create a folk" mode...Like I said, it is NOT a port but it hasnt even been confirmed if the plot in that game is somehow linked to Ellen and Keat's journey or envolves a completely seperate story.

Yeah I know its not a port thankfully, I was just wondering how it'll tie in to the folklore universe. Only time will tell for now. All in all, good job at the thread man.

Soudtrack section completed. The samples there should give a good feeling for the music in the game. It all has a very mystic, more Harry Potter than say Tim Burton. Reviews so far have been fairly decent but I think it was always known that Folklore was going to be a niche game.

As I have said before, the game is very old school in alot of ways and I believe this is another game that will fall under good, classic, PS3 gems....just nothing AAA or AA....

Fady K

XHitoshuraX said:
Soudtrack section completed. The samples there should give a good feeling for the music in the game. It all has a very mystic, more Harry Potter than say Tim Burton. Reviews so far have been fairly decent but I think it was always known that Folklore was going to be a niche game.

As I have said before, the game is very old school in alot of ways and I believe this is another game that will fall under good, classic, PS3 gems....just nothing AAA or AA....

Thanks for the soundtrack contribution bro. Sounds amazing. I find it more like music out of an unreleased Tim Burton movie :D.

Cant believe Xenosaga II's in-game composer scored a whole lot of this greatness.

I must say that something im really liking about this game is the fantasy world it takes place in - very beautiful and interesting. If the areas dont recycle - awesome.

NoirYuki

Fady K said:
Cant believe Xenosaga II's in-game composer scored a whole lot of this greatness.

I thought it was Yuki Kajiura (my favorite Japanese composer) who did the music for Xenosaga II? Granted I haven't played that game yet (but am planning to, since I picked it up while I was in Japan), but that's what I thought.

Fady K

NoirYuki said:
I thought it was Yuki Kajiura (my favorite Japanese composer) who did the music for Xenosaga II? Granted I haven't played that game yet (but am planning to, since I picked it up while I was in Japan), but that's what I thought.

Yuki Kajiura composed all the cutscene music for Xenosaga II - and she did a terrific job. However, if you are a Kajiura fan you muuust listen to her Xenosaga III soundtrack (she composed the whole thing - in game and cutscenes) - it is by far one of the best soundtracks I have listened to.

Kajiura is my favorite composer alongside Hitoshi Sakimoto :D

NoirYuki

Fady K said:
Yuki Kajiura composed all the cutscene music for Xenosaga II - and she did a terrific job. However, if you are a Kajiura fan you muuust listen to her Xenosaga III soundtrack (she composed the whole thing - in game and cutscenes) - it is by far one of the best soundtracks I have listened to.

Kajiura is my favorite composer alongside Hitoshi Sakimoto :D

Well that works out just fine, as I bought the Japanese version of Xenosaga III as well! Good times ahead, even after I finish Silmeria.

Fady K

NoirYuki said:
Well that works out just fine, as I bought the Japanese version of Xenosaga III as well! Good times ahead, even after I finish Silmeria.

Enjoy :D You're in for some great gameplay, music, and story.

patsu said:
Wait a minute. Is this out already ?

I have a review build. Sorry I didn't mention that before. I cannot stop saying good things about the music in this game lol It's simple outstanding.

Fady K

XHitoshuraX said:
I have a review build. Sorry I didn't mention that before. I cannot stop saying good things about the music in this game lol It's simple outstanding.

Agreed. As soon as I heard the main menu music I knew I was in for a treat.

tehbear

Fady K said:
Agreed. As soon as I heard the main menu music I knew I was in for a treat.

That's the first thing my friends noticed when I showed them the game, definitely one of the best mood inducing titles out there. When you hear it and see the art style on screen it just feels so right together.

Fady K

tehbear said:
That's the first thing my friends noticed when I showed them the game, definitely one of the best mood inducing titles out there. When you hear it and see the art style on screen it just feels so right together.

Exactly! It wasnt even in my interest to listen to the menu music back when I first downloaded the demo, it was while I was fixing up my room real quick before starting the demo that I noticed the music, especially the second half of the menu music. Then I watched the trailer as well - and great score there too. Good stuff.

It definitely captures the fantasy aspect rather well. And yes, in the build that I played it seems the Abington Boy School's theme isn't included. Too specific and unknown for the international release it seems. That might very well change come the retail release but...

I'm also hearing that the DLC is going to be available pretty soon after the release on the 10th. One of the first things to be added will of course be the winner of the "Create-a-Folk" contest's folk.

Top Bottom