• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulloDEC

I love how the game looks. Yes, the overall image is significantly softer than other games, but it seems pretty clear that it's by design; they're evoking the look of classic film photography, which naturally isn't razor sharp like computer graphics are.

You may not like it, but you can't fault their ability to pick an aesthetic and take it all the way.

c0de

I love how the game looks. Yes, the overall image is significantly softer than other games, but it seems pretty clear that it's by design; they're evoking the look of classic film photography, which naturally isn't razor sharp like computer graphics are.

You may not like it, but you can't fault their ability to pick an aesthetic and take it all the way.

This is the point. Some or many don't like it but the question is how this can be said without getting a ton of replies or how this can be said without you being thrown in the same basket as others who are just complaining because.

PaulloDEC

This is the point. Some or many don't like it but the question is how this can be said without getting a ton of replies or how this can be said without you being thrown in the same basket as others who are just complaining because.

If it was me, I'd probably say something like "I'm not a fan of the aesthetic, and while I can see how well it matches the look of film, I find the softness of the picture and the amount of processing to be distracting/difficult to read/unpleasant to look at."

That isn't how I actually feel, but if I saw someone writing something like that I don't think I'd feel the need to respond.

My goodness. This thread has become, mostly, civil. And they said it couldn't be done! (Was there a mass banning or something?)

At any rate, the more I look at stills and the trailers they've put out, the more I want it to be February 20th. I want to buy it on Amazon... but I also want to play it immediately! So conflicted. Usually when I buy games on Amazon, they don't come until like 7-8pm.

c0de

My goodness. This thread has become, mostly, civil. And they said it couldn't be done! (Was there a mass banning or something?)

At any rate, the more I look at stills and the trailers they've put out, the more I want it to be February 20th. I want to buy it on Amazon... but I also want to play it immediately! So conflicted. Usually when I buy games on Amazon, they don't come until like 7-8pm.

It is best to wait for the thread until it's not getting 5 replies per minute. Posters on both side will often calm down after one day when everything is repeated and laughed about about 10 times, then a more civil discussion is able. Same applies to many DF threads.

RexNovis

Banned

So let me get thsi straight you think these BF4 screenshots
R710Bfj.jpg

GzbyKRB.jpg

are comparable to this screenshot from the Order

Are you blind? Because one looks like it could be a CG movie and the other is most assuredly a game. Guess which is which. SMH.

Wow, with these comparisons The Order looks a lot better than I thought.
It truly is the best looking game I've seen yet, on any platform, and that's saying something. There are some excellent looking games out there, but The Order truly captures that Saturday matinee, Vincent Price horror movie vibe. I'm totally feeling RAD's vision here.

Dinjooh

So let me get thsi straight you think these BF4 screenshots

are comparable to this screenshot from the Order

Are you blind? Because one looks like it could be a CG movie and the other is most assuredly a game. Guess which is which. SMH.

Quite sure he's only commenting on the sharpness of said pictures - no doubt that they're leagues apart graphically.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Because a game set in the Victorian London doesn't portray people of all races and religions in even numbers. Apparently having the main cast consist of white people is racism.

And yes I know there lived people other than caucasian in London then..

There are people who are very significant to the story that are not Caucasian

any modern game running on a decent PC would look better, it's just logical. it doesn't even need to be high budget, the Metro games look incredible. The Metro games on the PS4 look great too, though the character models aren't that great. here's a link to a video, it's for the PC version but the PS4 one looks almost as good. you can watch it in 1080p60fps.

this kind of close-mindedness is what's really mind numbing. just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're some kind of sub-human scum.

The texture work alone in the Order shits on Metro, It really is hard to put into words how good everything in the game looks. The only other game that currently comes close to what the order does visually is Ass Creed Unity and only the PC version maxed out.

What the fuck does this even mean? Is it supposed to look like Mario?

So it's brown vs. Mario lol

Ok I now understand the two very distinctive NeoGAF worlds.

I know you joke and exaggerate a little but it can be less brown without being as colourful as a Mario game ;)

Personally I'm ok with the colour and think that the game is very beautiful, ambiance and atmosphere seems very well done too.
I'm just curious to know more about story and characters since it's very important in this type of game.

I'll also read reviews and watch more gameplay videos to know if my first impression of "not for me" stays.
I enjoyed Fahrenheit but not Heavy Rain... and since this game focus on a "cinematic" approach I don't know what to expect.

Does anyone know yet if completing the game unlocks higher difficulties? I want to play first on hard but if that's the top difficulty then I'd prefer to give normal a blast first so my second playthrough isn't at the same level.

Caayn

The less people post the things such as "sick burn", "damn", "lol joke post", etc. while quoting a post that's has already been quoted beyond measure the more a thread will become civil, readable and even enjoyable to read.

J4g3r

The game is looking beautiful, can't wait to get my hands on this next week. It's took a lot of willpower to stay out of that spoiler thread, haha...

It's nice to see that the review embargo is two days before the game's release date, have been getting fed up of all these sketchy releases.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish this forum had one day a year where it allowed anyone to say anything and everything without consequences, because some things said in this thread... man.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Also, no one is saying game looks bad or average, definitely not me. I just said that it would look much better without strong grain filter and CA and slightly lower values on DoF and motion blur.

to others, it would just expose every aliased edge, muddy texture and iffy piece of geometry. it's like the difference between playing a game on a monitor or a TV with three litres of post processing sloshed over the top. i doubt people would've put up with last gen as long as they did without their TVs sparing their console's blushes.

it would be a nightmare to play any kind of mechanically intricate game like this, but for something like the order where player agency is kept to a bare minimum, you can get away with this kind of cinematic visual obfuscation.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Chû Totoro;151584362 said:
So it's brown vs. Mario lol

Ok I now understand the two very distinctive NeoGAF worlds.

I know you joke and exaggerate a little but it can be less brown without being as colourful as a Mario game ;)

Personally I'm ok with the colour and think that the game is very beautiful, ambiance and atmosphere seems very well done too.
I'm just curious to know more about story and characters since it's very important in this type of game.

I'll also read reviews and watch more gameplay videos to know if my first impression of "not for me" stays.
I enjoyed Fahrenheit but not Heavy Rain... and since this game focus on a "cinematic" approach I don't know what to expect.

I see it this way: These developers are trying to manifest their visions through a physical medium for us to experience. If they hoped for it to be of this color palette, which is rather harmless, I think we should respect that. We aren't talking about gameplay akin to Superman 64, we are talking about the color brown.

The Purge: GAF

Would watch.

That was exactly my thought. Pretty violent.

asmudge

Banned
Looks ok i guess....

I mean for a console game it looks great but my PC was capable of these graphics in 2003. Its only logical.

RexNovis

Banned
to others, it would just expose every aliased edge, muddy texture and iffy piece of geometry. it's like the difference between playing a game on a monitor or a TV with three litres of post processing sloshed over the top. i doubt people would've put up with last gen as long as they did without their TVs sparing their console's blushes.

it would be a nightmare to play any kind of mechanically intricate game like this, but for something like the order where player agency is kept to a bare minimum, you can get away with this kind of cinematic visual obfuscation.

Pray tell how do you know how much "player agency" is present in the game? Have you played it already? How is it any more or less than any other TPS? What a pitiful thinly veiled attempt at shitting on a game you've never played with tales from your ass.

Looks ok i guess....

I mean for a console game it looks great but my PC was capable of these graphics in 2003. Its only logical.

Please enlighten us which game you were playing on your PC in 2003 that looked as impressive as The Order. Until you do I'm gonna call salty salty bullshit.

I cannot believe people are actually trying to shit in this games graphics. It's unbelievable. The game might as well be a graphical marvel in comparison to everything else on the market and yet you would think it was a muddy grainy mess by how people go on about it. Your bitterness about being unable to play or own the game does not change the fact that it is GORGEOUS and no amount of baseless shit slinging will change that. What is the damn point?!?

Ricky_R

kQc6mIW.jpg

RexNovis

Banned
Quite sure he's only commenting on the sharpness of said pictures - no doubt that they're leagues apart graphically.

Even then, it's still worlds apart. Looking at the full rez images the aliasing and muddiness present in the BF pics is nowhere to be seen in the order screenshot. There is a huge difference between muddiness produced by upscaling and film grain or depth field. Arguing otherwise just proves whomever it is has zero idea what they are actually talking about. There is not a single effect, texture, or rendered facet of the BF pictures that are comparable to the order shot.

Metfanant

Not for nothing...but the natural world is a lot "softer" looking than most games, even those striving to be as realistic as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom