• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

I'm pretty sure the ones I missed are either in there or one area where I accidentally moved forward before exploring one more hall and it instantly saved a checkpoint. Collectables are really easy in this game.
Yes, almost unmissable. Only a few are in a room that you will only find while exploring.

AsfaeksBR

Just finished. What an amazing game.
I'm not such a multiplayer guy, so I won't miss it, but I can see that a Horde Mode would be badass. The weaponry in it is just sublime, the gameplay is perfect and it's was a bug-free experience.

That ending scene
really reminded me of MGS3
(Killing the Boss)
and that ending shot was really powerful

And also,
am I the only one that got a Van Helsing vibe from that post-credits scene? I was really expecting him to say "I'm Van Helsing" after the "I'm not Galahad no longer".

DieH@rd

Banned
That ending scene
really reminded me of MGS3
(Killing the Boss)
and that ending shot was really powerful

And also,
am I the only one that got a Van Helsing vibe from that post-credits scene? I was really expecting him to say "I'm Van Helsing" after the "I'm not Galahad no longer".

Sadly, MGS3 did it better by crafing much better connection between characters.

And ending was pretty Batmany. :)

BeeDog

Just finished the game, so figure I can add some of my impressions. In short, it's an alright-to-good game let down by too many headscratchers.

Positives:

+ Best audiovisual experience so far by far. Barely anything to complain about, really. They nailed all the environments as well.
+ The core gameplay/gunplay is really fantastic. All weapons are fun to use, the controls are excellent with great deadzone/sensitivity, the feedback and ragdolls are top-notch and all is topped off with some excellent enemy damage modelling.
+ All the weapons are fun to use, especially the scientific weapons such as the thermite rifle.
+ Pretty much all the characters are good, especially Grayson. The strong voice acting certainly does wonders.
+ The cutscene direction is top-notch.

Negatives:

- The story goes absolutely nowhere, and there are too many dead-ends and unanswered questions which pissed me off. I don't mind game stories that are "in medias res", but I don't like it when many core questions are brushed off or left for sequels. While the final cutscene is badass, the game still manages to end with a whimper, not a bang. The characters, while well-acted and interesting, exist in a vacuum without any context as to why they behave as they do or what they have experienced.
- The balance between cutscenes/QTE's and actual gameplay is off; there are too many sections where control is taken away from the player when it shouldn't, and there are also too many sections where you're simply walking around without much happening, exploring dead-ends with nothing substantial etc.
- The lycan fights are complete bores; they simply act like dog enemies in other games, but with a short timeframe to QTE dodge them. (spoilers)
I didn't mind the elder QTE fights, but I didn't like the fact that the last fight was so similar to the previous one. On top of that, they also tease you with some badass Tesla weapon only for the game to revert back to a QTE.
- Following the previous point, while the game's core gameplay is great, the variation is lacking, especially when the universe should be able to allow for much more varying encounters. Additionally, the game restricts use of the more interesting weapons too much, mainly due to the low amount of combat sections in the game. (major spoilers)
Why the fuck didn't they incorporate the vampires at all? Sucks that you only burn them in their coffins.
- The game is completely content-starved, with no real reason to go back to it when finished aside from cleaning up trophies (which I've yet to do).
- The investigation aspect of the game is under-utilized and such a waste of opportunity to add in further gameplay elements (e.g. minor puzzles or proper investigation aspects).
- Too many minor and major design flaws that made me question what Ready at Dawn were thinking; no collectibles tracker, absurdly small subtitle font size, complete randomness to when you're allowed to sprint or not, no NG+'ish mode to allow you to experiment more with the combat (i.e. open up the use of the cooler weapons throughout), and so on.

I probably sound very negative, but it's mainly because the potential is there, but Ready at Dawn fucked them up and lost the opportunity to create one truly great game. If the game sells well and they get a second attempt, I truly hope they take all the criticism to heart and rectify the game's shortcomings in the sequel. Now that they have one hell of an engine ready, and tons of great assets, I pray that they can focus on refining the things that didn't work. Oh, and get a new story writer.

I've been playing all morning - really impressed with everything.

I needed this game so much. Bless you RAD for going against the grain and making a Stellar single-player experience!

holygeesus

Banned
Alright, sorry for all the questions, but back to collectibles - how does chapter select work?

Let's say I start from a checkpoint, and then find a collectible. If I quit back to the main menu and then pick a diff chapter, did it save the thing I just found? Or do I have to move forward to another "checkpoint" before quitting?

You don't have to save - as soon as you pick the collectable up you can quit to the title screen. As someone mentioned a while back, be thorough in the archive room - I also missed an audio log that was sneakily hidden to the left side of one of the ledges you hang from in Chapter 3 - also make sure you turn around and explore at the beginning of that level.

It will be interesting to see what parts of Arthurian lore they will use / adapt for their in-game canon. The world they have built up has a lot of potential, but who knows how much will make sense for them to utilise.

Will we ever see a “Lady of the Lake”? A Merlin? An Avalon? A Mordred? A Morgan le Fay? A Lancelot? (if we did, would he be good or bad?)? Are their influences in historical events part of the reason why The Lord Chancellor would be so focused on the unity of The Order and its Knights of the Round Table? Who knows.

I won’t pretend that I know anything more than stuff from old films, so would be cool to hear some thoughts from any Gaffers who know the lore

I really liked the strong indian representation. Dont see that in alot of games ;). Respect.

Yeh, this is pretty rare and I was glad to see it tbh

Palocca

Man, do I basically have to replay the entire game again to get the collectibles?

Should have used a guide the first time through -_-

I thought I had to do the same too, but instead I just watched a video walkthrough of all the collectibles and just picked off the ones I missed. You can probably do this now since the game is still fresh in your mind.

when i was getting the audio logs, i could pick one up and then quit and it would still save. ymmw on other collectibles though.

You're correct - I just quit to the title after picking up the collectibles I missed and still got the trophies.

FranXico

Thermite.

Spray 'em down good and then ignite with R1. Make sure they catch on fire and die horribly though because sometimes they don't get all of it and survive.

Another thing I like about the thermite gun, is that if you fire again to the same spot quickly enough, while there are still flames, it re-ignites. It really works like a remote flame thrower.

Just beat the game and my goodness what a ride. I thought the ending was very well done with Rad laying the groundwork for an awesome series. I can't wait to see where the story goes from here.

Oni3298

My impressions:

Absolutely gorgeous game, seriously. i remember all the talk before of framerate issues and worries the game would not perform well, but God damn does it run smoothly with virtually no bugs and damned if it isn't one of the prettiest games I've ever played. Unfortunately, the "game" part is immensely lacking, and I feel like I spent 60 bucks for a tech demo of what the PS4 can really accomplish. Obviously, that's not really true, but that's kinda what it feels like. Very few setpieces in the game, two repeated sections of the game (lycan fights and elder fights), boring guns save for the arc gun and the thermite rifle. I don't know, I certainly didn't hate playing it, but it definitely left a bitter taste in my mouth. I platinumed it after one playthrough and about 15 minutes of going back and picking up the 3 trophies I still hadn't gotten. If there is a sequel, and I truly hope there is, I just want the game to be expanded in every way. Put more "game" in the game... the ending gave me hope that a potential sequel might play out differently the a typical linear shooter, but I guess time will tell. I mention all this without even bringing up the fact that the story just ends... I don't like buying games that are mainly story based to have the story go nowhere, that kinda irks me.

Ugh yeah I have absolutely no clue where or what I missed. Just did archive room again and nothing popped still.

Shame because I thought this was gonna be an easy Plat

I liked the game. Its not without its flaws and some are basic elementary mistakes in their game design. A decent first effort by RAD. Will be there day 1 for sequel or dlc.

I personally felt that the ending would have been much much more powerful
if you had to pull the trigger on one of your friends (percival or lafayette)

thebloo

Alright, sorry for all the questions, but back to collectibles - how does chapter select work?

Let's say I start from a checkpoint, and then find a collectible. If I quit back to the main menu and then pick a diff chapter, did it save the thing I just found? Or do I have to move forward to another "checkpoint" before quitting?

It saves on pick-up, so you can just quit.

I used this guide, it's excellently done: http://www.powerpyx.com/guide/the-o...cylinders-documents-photographs-and-more.html
It has some details about where to looks so you don't have to always look at the videos.

MattyG

Banned
I liked the game. Its not without its flaws and some are basic elementary mistakes in their game design. A decent first effort by RAD. Will be there day 1 for sequel or dlc.

I personally felt that the ending would have been much much more powerful
if you had to pull the trigger on one of your friends (percival or lafayette)
I would've been pissed if it'd been
Lafayette. He's the best character in the whole damn game.

Skux

The more I think about it, a sequel would be perfect as a Splinter-Cell style infiltration game with a mix of shooting and stealth sections (with a few huge set pieces). It makes sense in terms of the story and solves some of the big issues with gameplay:

- The expository segments are nice to look at but zero fun to play. Pushing a cart from A to B in a no-tension scenario is boring. But the late-game infiltration mission kept me involved as a player while also giving me a lot of pretty things to look at. The game can't be all shooting, but still has to have interesting gameplay during the quiet parts, and using stealth can achieve this.

- Giving the player a mansion or base to infiltrate keeps gameplay open ended, even if it's still a linear, room-to-room experience. The player can decide how to use gadgets, stealth or weapons, instead of just killing everyone in the room because they have to.

- The gadgets are some of the coolest things in the game and being able to mess around with this stuff in non-combat scenarios would be really fun.

- Galahad is now a rogue with lots of cool gadgets (thanks to Tesla), but very limited ammunition. Subterfuge makes a lot more sense for him to uncover the conspiracy/fight the lycans/save the Order.

- Galahad is still an honourable man and would probably choose to avoid killing armed guards where possible.

Oh that's a good point. Forgot he was absent. Could be. Could even be
original
Galahad. Gotta surely be somene with a link to the Knights.

Character spoilers
Wasn't Sir Bors mentioned by Lakshmi when Galahad asked her where she acquired the Blackwater? This very well could be the case, but I do remember her implying that he was no longer alive. Galahad mentioned that he hadn't been seen since the search for the Grail.

So I'm at chapter 11 and playing on Hard, but I'm thinking of bumping down to medium, mostly because I find depending on the encounter and the weapon I currently have shotgunners are a nightmare to deal with, especially when combined with the heavy armour guys (it's giving me flashbacks to some of UC3's worst encounters). In terms of combat encounters, do the remaining chapters throw anything more difficult at the player?

Marvel

could never
Another thing I like about the thermite gun, is that if you fire again to the same spot quickly enough, while there are still flames, it re-ignites. It really works like a remote flame thrower.

Yeah it's brutal.

Such a great looking weapon too, I love it's design with that big circular drum of liquid death.

So I'm at chapter 11 and playing on Hard, but I'm thinking of bumping down to medium, mostly because I find depending on the encounter and the weapon I currently have shotgunners are a nightmare to deal with, especially when combined with the heavy armour guys (it's giving me flashbacks to some of UC3's worst encounters). In terms of combat encounters, do the remaining chapters throw anything more difficult at the player?

Later on there are encounters I could barely beat on Medium. The heavies are ridiculous sometimes.

Skux

Ugh yeah I have absolutely no clue where or what I missed. Just did archive room again and nothing popped still.

Shame because I thought this was gonna be an easy Plat

The ones I missed in my first run were:

- Chapter 3 start, turn around and find a newspaper

- After you leave the
brothel
there's a simple puzzle where you turn a crank, instead of proceeding after you turn it, hang down and go left for a phonograph tube

Palocca

Use Blacksight immediately when you spot the shotgunners.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's really not that daunting to go back to earlier chapters if you missed collectibles. Just use the ps4trophies or powerpyx guide. They show you every item, so if you don't remember the look/paper headline, you missed it. There should only be a few, most are in plain sight. Phonographs are easy because there's a list in the menu.

I just watched the ps4trophies video, jotted down which items I didn't recognize (only 4 or so) and reloaded checkpoints. You can quit to menu immediately after.

Later on there are encounters I could barely beat on Medium. The heavies are ridiculous sometimes.

There's that one encounter in Chapter 15 that took me quite a few tries. Eventually I planned everything out so I could get through it with ease. Use the M2 Falchion for a while, pull out the Blacksight to clear the shotgunners. Once the heavies appeared, I fell back into the hallway to grab the Arc Induction Lance and went to town on them.

well
The Lord Chancellor, outside of knowingly allowing a Lycan to operate within The Order, hasn't actually done anything wrong. I wager Galahad knows this and isn't going to murder the head of The Order for no reason.

Also, the LC could easily have just executed Galahad there and then and swept everything under the rug, but (imo) he himself knows that there were some truth to rumblings Galahad had reported on, and knows his son was involved. He allowed Galahad to kill him as it was punishment he deserved, but there was no way Galahad could have his name cleared,

If the LC had cleared Galahad of wrong doings and admitted he had adopted a Lycan and that this Lycan had rose up to the Knight Commander, then The Order itself could come tumbling down. That one of the co-founders of The Order was harboring a Lycan and lying about it could be a death knell for them all. People will start asking "arethere more, who else is involved, are The Order really the brave knights they paint themselves to be...etc) so for ther good of The Empire and The Order, the LC has decided to have Galahad be seen as the villain of this piece. He will be accused of murdering the Knight Commander and be a sworn enemy of The Order, but clearly the matters involving Lycans and vampires will become known to more than just Galahad, the rebel;s and the conspirators, so in the long run I could see him being welcomed back again, once the matters at hand are sorted.

edit - sorry if anyone read that due to bad BBcode, really sorry if you did.

Oh absolutely, ending spoilers.
Galahad knows the Lord Chancellor will spread more shit, but he's willing to take that in order to maintain The Order's integrity and footing in the world. Think of it like Batman willing to take shit and cover up Harvey Dent's murderous rampage, for the greater good and so that the new criminal laws made in his name, are not repealled. Similarly such a massive betrayal and conspiracy in The Order by Lucan, the Knight Commander no less, not only jeopardises The Order's image well beyond Galahad's own betrayal, but also puts in to question The Lord Chancellor too, as he is Lucans father, and the very heart of the institute. Galahad realises The Order's role in the world is far too important and worth his own sacrifice.

Side note, I don't think the hooded guy is King Arthur, I feel he is the original Sir Bors. In the historical age old mythos, it is Galahad, Percival and Bors who find the Holy Grail. They are actually the most noble and qualified of the Knights, and I myself did find it weird Bors was never mentioned in any of the press as a main character. My guess is after they found the Grail, Bors was not happy with the way the institute changed, hence left to maintain control and vigilance elsewhere.
I love how the plot is proceeding. Galahad is definitely one of my most favorite badass character in this game.

And btw, I find this thing pretty funny: Galahad never uses his machete in combat and instead he uses his fists to takedown enemies (why he doesn't kill them in such intensive battles is beyond me).
But in infiltration mission, he kills every single guard with his weapon, which I think is very unnecessary. He should have just choked them because after all, they are just normal guards and they show no threat.

Character spoilers
Wasn't Sir Bors mentioned by Lakshmi when Galahad asked her where she acquired the Blackwater? This very well could be the case, but I do remember her implying that he was no longer alive. Galahad mentioned that he hadn't been seen since the search for the Grail.

I personally believe that
it is Sir Bors, his title doesn't seem to be passed on to anyone else in the Order and maybe they actually need the body of the person in order to pass it on, much like they did with Perceval and Lafayette

Heh! That was lucky, just got all documents/photos and objects :D

The two I missed were both in the warehouse at the
docks right before you start burning crates

Now all I have left is phonographs, which are easy to see the ones I'm missing :)

Island

What would give you that impression at all, and why would said person
be working against the Order, when the lot of them are blinded by power and centuries of obedience to the cause?
My guess is
Merlin
. He seemed to have "done all he could do" when
Gallahad was recovering
Magic maybe?

Man I wasn't expecting this game to be so great. I really enjoyed the last half, and Im super excited for more. Its a nice change of pace from the open world collect-a-thon games that have been coming out a lot lately. Yes the game has flaws, but its a tight overall package. RAD really have created a great mold for any equals, and I think they will learn a lot from this first go round. The story concepts have grabbed me so much, and I love the characters. Galahad is a great protagonist, and I can't wait to see where he's headed next
Americas or India to fight vampires/werewolves/creatures

Its a must play to me If you have a PS4. Is it worth $60? maybe not, but you can easily flip it after a few days and get $30+ back as of right now...

8.5/10

I forgot to mention I am an idiot, played almost the entire stealth part of chapter XI taking out guards with takedowns before I realized I had a crossbow

Is there a guide which tells you which scene is best to choose for each collectible?

Not that I have seen, but the good guides do a decent enough job of describing where/when it is that you can guess well enough

Just finished the game, so figure I can add some of my impressions. In short, it's an alright-to-good game let down by too many headscratchers.

Positives:

+ Best audiovisual experience so far by far. Barely anything to complain about, really. They nailed all the environments as well.
+ The core gameplay/gunplay is really fantastic. All weapons are fun to use, the controls are excellent with great deadzone/sensitivity, the feedback and ragdolls are top-notch and all is topped off with some excellent enemy damage modelling.
+ All the weapons are fun to use, especially the scientific weapons such as the thermite rifle.
+ Pretty much all the characters are good, especially Grayson. The strong voice acting certainly does wonders.
+ The cutscene direction is top-notch.

Negatives:

- The story goes absolutely nowhere, and there are too many dead-ends and unanswered questions which pissed me off. I don't mind game stories that are "in medias res", but I don't like it when many core questions are brushed off or left for sequels. While the final cutscene is badass, the game still manages to end with a whimper, not a bang. The characters, while well-acted and interesting, exist in a vacuum without any context as to why they behave as they do or what they have experienced.
- The balance between cutscenes/QTE's and actual gameplay is off; there are too many sections where control is taken away from the player when it shouldn't, and there are also too many sections where you're simply walking around without much happening, exploring dead-ends with nothing substantial etc.
- The lycan fights are complete bores; they simply act like dog enemies in other games, but with a short timeframe to QTE dodge them. (spoilers)
I didn't mind the elder QTE fights, but I didn't like the fact that the last fight was so similar to the previous one. On top of that, they also tease you with some badass Tesla weapon only for the game to revert back to a QTE.
- Following the previous point, while the game's core gameplay is great, the variation is lacking, especially when the universe should be able to allow for much more varying encounters. Additionally, the game restricts use of the more interesting weapons too much, mainly due to the low amount of combat sections in the game. (major spoilers)
Why the fuck didn't they incorporate the vampires at all? Sucks that you only burn them in their coffins.
- The game is completely content-starved, with no real reason to go back to it when finished aside from cleaning up trophies (which I've yet to do).
- The investigation aspect of the game is under-utilized and such a waste of opportunity to add in further gameplay elements (e.g. minor puzzles or proper investigation aspects).
- Too many minor and major design flaws that made me question what Ready at Dawn were thinking; no collectibles tracker, absurdly small subtitle font size, complete randomness to when you're allowed to sprint or not, no NG+'ish mode to allow you to experiment more with the combat (i.e. open up the use of the cooler weapons throughout), and so on.

I probably sound very negative, but it's mainly because the potential is there, but Ready at Dawn fucked them up and lost the opportunity to create one truly great game. If the game sells well and they get a second attempt, I truly hope they take all the criticism to heart and rectify the game's shortcomings in the sequel. Now that they have one hell of an engine ready, and tons of great assets, I pray that they can focus on refining the things that didn't work. Oh, and get a new story writer.

You pretty much encapsulated all of my thoughts into one post. The need to make a sequel to patch holes in the story and to give players a better glimpse into the universe.

eznark

Banned
Just finished it. Man this game was very good. Just wish there had been more combat and fewer meaningless button prompts. I found the length to be perfect.

Top Bottom