• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The plan to move Xbox games to other platforms is codenamed "Latitude" internally

It's really astounding the roundabouts Jez threw himself for in this whole thing.

"Oh, it's just these three" and this article reads like a massive defeat for him.

Sony is outselling the Xbox by, at this point, a ridiculous amount. Their systems aren't really moving. Game Pass has no growth and is frustrating or even outright killing developers.

Satya is tired of the money sink and he and corporate Microsoft have pulled the "Ghoul Lasso" out to reel Phil and Xbox in, even if its a direction he(Phil) doesn't want to go.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It does seem kind of interesting to see so many people who have said "there is no games worth buying" or "there is no games" on xbox be so excited at the prospect of Xbox games on ps5.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
He gave Phil 20 shots and he missed all of them. He has to take the reins to make sure Xbox doesn't destroy the Microsoft name. Bad publicity and losing shares costs way more than failing bad games.
Let’s be honest, even without Phil and xbox - MS is doing a great job destroying its own name.

T0minator

It does seem kind of interesting to see so many people who have said "there is no games worth buying" or "there is no games" on xbox be so excited at the prospect of Xbox games on ps5.

It's interesting how Xbox didn't really have appealing exclusive 1st party games for years. For over a decade, but once they actually start to get studios releasing potentially quality stuff...they're releasing them on PS. The time of no games for Xbox is definitely over

THE DUCK

It's interesting how Xbox didn't really have appealing exclusive 1st party games for years. For over a decade, but once they actually start to get studios releasing potentially quality stuff...they're releasing them on PS. The time of no games for Xbox is definitely over

No, I mean they had nothing, only sold about 80 million consoles in the past 10 years, I mean I doubt they had a single IP that people wanted to buy. Probably people bought them to play Nintendo games but we're confused. 🙄

Ashamam

No, I mean they had nothing, only sold about 80 million consoles in the past 10 years, I mean I doubt they had a single IP that people wanted to buy. Probably people bought them to play Nintendo games but we're confused. 🙄
You seem to be. The decisions MS are making are because of this generation. If they had of maintained the prior generations momentum we wouldn't be having all these discussions. But yes you are right in that they do have IP people want to play, pretty sure thats why MS bought those IP in the first place.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

You seem to be. The decisions MS are making are because of this generation. If they had of maintained the prior generations momentum we wouldn't be having all these discussions. But yes you are right in that they do have IP people want to play, pretty sure thats why MS bought those IP in the first place.

Seriously though, I get that some IP's and games have underdelivered, but the narrative that I was responding to that MS literally had no desireable games for a decade, is bunk.

midnightAI

Microsoft's next showcase is going to be very interesting, they used to be full of 'Console Exclusive' (and 'World Premier' of course)

Last edited:

Ashamam

Seriously though, I get that some IP's and games have underdelivered, but the narrative that I was responding to that MS literally had no desireable games for a decade, is bunk.
Probably should have read the post before a bit closer. Yes 10 years is hyperbole. But 5 years wouldn't be. And thats all it takes.

Klayzer

It's not that hard. The games wasn't good enough for players to switch their preferred platform for.

Now, with those same games coming to a console that a lot of gamers are invested in, some will give them a look. No narrative war shit needed.

THE DUCK

They're always playing the victim card for Microsoft.

Victim has zero to do with it, facts matter.
Saying ms had zero games worth buying past 10 years = false

The whole "if they say something positive about ms" means they are playing the victim card is bs.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

The whole "if they say something positive about ms" means they are playing the victim card is bs.
Talking before the Bethesda purchase they didn’t have much TBH. If they could pull off a new Elder Scrolls that had the quality Rockstar/Sony exclusives are known for it would sell like crazy.

It’s all on MS.

THE DUCK

Talking before the Bethesda purchase they didn’t have much TBH. If they could pull off a new Elder Scrolls that had the quality Rockstar/Sony exclusives are known for it would sell like crazy.

It’s all on MS.

They quite a few studios working on some good stuff. May be too little too late overall though in terms of this gen's hardware war, unless something changes (price, availability, a gimmick, something nobody else has, etc)

cebri.one

Some people aren't taking this news well :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GNpcffVWcAAbTn_
THE-FIVE-STAGES-OF-THE-GRIEVING-PROCESS-1-1.png

He is at the bargaining stage. Once Starfield is announced for PS5, we'll get to a new stage.

Last edited:

T0minator

C'mon, where did I say they had nothing? Don't turn this into some console war bs please. I never said they had zero games. I said they didn't really have appealing games.

That is true the big system sellers haven't been there for a long time. Did they have some great games, yes. Did they have a lot of appealing games...not really.

Hence the "they didn't really have appealing 1st party exclusives"

Now they're improving on that issue they've had

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
tim dogo said double fine is going to be closed....i can't believe it.
Well, it's been 3 years and nothing has been announced. I think I heard that a game called 'Kiln' or something like that. That was a prototype that a few DF developers made in a couple weeks during their yearly break from developing Psychonauts 2. Kiln was unveiled and was a MP game I believe.

The plan to move Xbox games to other platforms is codenamed "Latitude" internally, and I know there's debate and unease at Microsoft about whether or not this is a good idea. More upcoming Microsoft-owned games slated for PlayStation are already being developed. While it's true Microsoft is a prolific publisher on PlayStation already, it has typically revolved around specific franchises like Minecraft. From what I've heard, Microsoft is pushing for no "red line" for what games could come to PlayStation, and it all revolves around Satya Nadella and CFO Amy Hood's plans to increase every department's margins.

This is Opinion, not news or reporting. Might want to add that to the thread title.

None of the games i listed have launched in the last 10 years, unless you include MCC but thats really for the Bungie made Halo games.

Fireball

Neo Member
The only surprise for me here is, how slow MS is moving through that transition from being a player in the console market to pure game publishing.

I assume this must be a long term strategy which did not just start in 2017, when GamePass was introduced. My guess would be, the idea did grow while creating the 8th console generation.

Console games have been bad for MS since late 7th gen, starting around 2011/2012 and they never recovered.

There is just no way, they buy AB for 69 bn. while in year 10 of bad hardware sales without the intent of shutting the hardware down.

Admitting this would hurt sales in the meantime but assuming all this, they should start to hurry up a bit, no?

The real issue for me is, while waiting for the deal to go through, they could have prepared it in the background to pull the trigger day one of approval.

Instead they look like they are still sitting in bed, a bit late even for a Sunday morning, yawning and looking where the damn slippers did go this time…

NickFire

The actual article is something else. Makes me think of someone's ex-wife trying to convince her friends that the bastard was better off before she divorced him, he won the lottery, and he then married a supermodel.

Serious question, how many of these podcasts do you listen to?
The Tim dogo thing pop up in my feed. it lasted like 13 minutes.

Because the death of Xbox is a historic event I've been listening to more podcast to understand the sick mind of those individuals.

Xboxtwo/defying duke
Colin's podcast.

The algorithm recommend me:
BRAP (they have a financial expert in the panel)

and the clips on twatter.

I don't listened to the entire podcasts, only to the relevant bits. so, a 3 hours podcast is more like a 45 minutes

Top Bottom