• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega+ has an October 20th release date

mocoworm

It has been 2 years since I posted the original thread on this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=943474

Now the VEGA has an October 20th release date ... and it looks like a VITA!

uz0rlifwxucvz2e7vbnj.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-zx-spectrum-vega-has-an-october-release-date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqXhtTYj7Oc

The Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega+ comes out on 20th October for those who backed its IndieGoGo campaign, according to the company behind it.

The crowdfunded retro recreation comes with 1000 licensed games built in, Retro Computers Ltd said.

The Vega+ raised £366,655 on IndieGoGo, 367 per cent of the target. It had been due out this month, in September, so the October release amounts to a delay. But Retro added that it expects the Vega+ to be sold online in time for Christmas 2016.

Here's a new quote from Levy: "For the past five months our company's new management team has spared no effort to bring the Vega+ into production under very difficult circumstances, and to secure Vega+ a sales and marketing agreement with a substantial company in the consumer electronics field.

"We are very confident that with the manufacturing strengths of SMS and the worldwide reach of our new sales and marketing partners, the Vega+ will be a huge and long-lived success."

pulsemyne

Ah yes getting to knee people in the balls on Target renegade while on the go. Lovely. Better play 128k games as well.

Bydobob

Now the VEGA has an October 20th release date... and it looks like a VITA!

And this is why the Vega+ is less appealing to me. Much of the Vega's charm was that it looked and felt like the original product. This looks like an anachronism and has less to differentiate it from a phone or handheld running emulation software. It will probably control better though looking at those buttons.

Doesn't look as though they've added any new games since Vega which is odd. They were apparently working on acquiring more licences but I guess they abandoned the effort. Downloading games on SD card and mapping the controls wasn't user friendly on Vega so hope they've improved the interface here.

8bit

Knows the Score
Hey, a general question to any speccy friends here. If I have a cassette that I want to try and load into a spectrum emulator what one can I use? I have a tape deck and said cassette. The tape isn't an actual Spectrum tape but I suspect it might have hidden data on it. I think I've still got an original copy of Strontium Dog - The Killing to test with somewhere though.

I've got a Elite Spectrum Bluetooth thing, but it's got no audio in and is kind of shitty in it's Bluetooth implementation.

Hey, a general question to any speccy friends here. If I have a cassette that I want to try and load into a spectrum emulator what one can I use? I have a tape deck and said cassette. The tape isn't an actual Spectrum tape but I suspect it might have hidden data on it. I think I've still got an original copy of Strontium Dog - The Killing to test with somewhere though.

I've got a Elite Spectrum Bluetooth thing, but it's got no audio in and is kind of shitty in it's Bluetooth implementation.

Try a quick look at the Soundload page on - WorldOfSpectrum, it should give you some ideas.

mclem

Why aren't the directional buttons labelled QAOP?

This, but also why are the main buttons labelled FS12? I can't think of any game that uses that combination. Also, as the most likely possibility that springs to mind, none of them correspond to Sinclair Joystick mappings (Fire there was - IIRC - 5 for one port, 0 for the other)

Well, originally it looked like this:

Which do you think is more VITA like? :p

But that's the VEGA, not the VEGA+. The VEGA was released long ago. That's a new project.

Do we have an actual shot that isn't a render or a prototipe with a smashed screen?

So is this real ZX Spectrum hardware inside (Z80 et al) or is it a crummy emulation box?

Emulation, For something more accurate you can try the ZX-Uno, it's a FPGA solution and it works very well

Mihos

Gold Member
Hey, an update!

(From Indigogo e-mail list):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We apologise sincerely for our forced radio silence (more on that) and delay in our promised updates, but please know we have been, and are still, working on the Vega+ final production and delivery.  
In the meantime, we can only apologise for the incessant online written abuse, attacks and misinformation from a rather malevolent small team doing all they can to attack the RCL team personally and professionally, and prevent Vega+ brought to the market (despite their claims otherwise).  
In time, we will be able to publicise in detail what is going on, including the names of those making up the above-mentioned group. But right now, on the advice of our lawyers and related authorities, we have to wait until all various investigations and legal actions have been completed. 
We know many of you are extremely frustrated, and with good reason. But the Vega+ IS happening,  despite what you may be hearing and reading. To reiterate, you WILL all receive the Vega+, albeit a few weeks later than we planned and wanted due to a production issue and outside influences beyond our control. 
We can also confirm we have secured rights to some of the biggest games in the Spectrum scene, and the final games list will exceed all expectations. We aim to begin shipping the Vega+ to backers within the next 8 weeks, and to follow this immediately with our first shipments to retail. 
And to the RCL trolls, we’re not going anywhere. Peace out

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will hold my breath RCL.....

I did not know this existed (which may have been a lucky break apparently), but if this actually materialises as a real product, I'm definitely in the market for it!

Top Bottom