• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spike VGAs Worldwide Livestream [*Over*]

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This is exactly what I was referring to. And this thread tops it with people calling out a person for no sensible reason other than blind hate, holocaust metaphors and even a MOD (hereby representing the whole forum) changing the thread title to unwarranted fecal insults.

On Gaf we often times complain about games journalism, but this thread makes it seem like we should a deep breath and look at ourselves before that.
He's the hero GAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dorito Pope.

Violater

This is exactly what I was referring to. And this thread tops it with people calling out a person for no sensible reason other than blind hate, holocaust metaphors and even a MOD (hereby representing the whole forum) changing the thread title to unwarranted fecal insults.

On Gaf we often times complain about games journalism, but this thread makes it seem like we should a deep breath and look at ourselves before that.

I give the show a solid B+, certainly more entertaining than E3 was.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
He's the hero GAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dorito Pope.

lol, that one got me. Also I should go to bed at 6 am instead of reading Dorito jokes. :p

params7

Banned
Well played Geoff. VGA's have redeemed themselves in my eyes. Dark Souls 2 was amazing...much to the anger of many Japanese fans though (that this game wasn't revealed at a Japanese convention) but well fucking played. Made up a little bit for the lackluster E3.

There is a (albeit slight) chance of Phantom Pain being a Vita game, but Dark Souls 2 could very well be next gen or cross gen.
1yqdh

Amazing that there weren't any Western reveals. Who would've predicted the two only surprises would be from Japanese developers?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mods don't represent the whole forum. That'd be fucking hilarious if they did though.

They do. The set the rules AND the standard of discussion to which we (should) adhere to. And a very visible thread on the front page of gaf represents the whole forum, like it or not. If that thread is done by a mod even more so. Its a certain kind of credibility that is being lost with stuff like this.

TriGen

How do we know if Dark Souls 2 and The Phantom Pain are not next gen? There are no confirmed release dates, not did I see any current gen system logos at all....

Just saw that Dark souls 2 will be on all current gen systems, my bad

The sites for both say PC/360/PS3. It's possible that they could be cross-gen, but Phantom looked weak visually, it could be a weak cross-gen release, but it sure didn't seem like it. I would put the odds higher at Dark Souls 2 getting a cross-gen release, but we really don't know anything except that PC/360/PS3 are confirmed.

To me it looks likely that there were no next-gen games shown, as none of them looked next-gen (can't judge Dark Souls either way because they only had a CG trailer). I thought as a whole the show was okay, but there really was nothing shown that couldn't be released tomorrow from a tech standpoint (at least that's how it appeared).

Toma

1yqdh

Amazing that there weren't any Western reveals. Who would've predicted the two only surprises would be from Japanese developers?

Consoles that arent announced yet, cant be referenced :p
But why not cross gen? It could be a "glimpse" or whatever the word was, of next gen then.

DJIzana

Missed half of the VGAs. Should I be disappointed?

There was very minimal hype. I found the best trailer during the awards was The Last of Us. If you like Dark Souls, check that out... or maybe Tomb Raider but yeah... I only am looking forward to The Last of Us. :p

TriGen

I liked the South Park and Last of Us trailers, and I'm interested in Dark Souls 2. Also, I thought the show seemed more "normal" this year, the orchestras and such made it feel more professional. So, as a whole, I think the VGAs improved this year, but the lack of any teaser for a big next-gen game kinda killed the show. When a console cycle is about to end it's hard to get people hyped, if you don't bring it.

Cmagus

Gotta give Geoff some props on this one. I was pretty bitter after last years display but I thought the show was really good this year there was certainly a nice balance. Certainly more focus on games, more respect to the devs and the game musical performances were great. Sure all the C list celebrity crap comes with the territory but when it came to spotlighting games it was done tastefully and respectfully which I appreciated.

I gotta say that the games shown looked pretty damn awesome. I was not expecting another Dark Souls so soon so for me that was the highlight. The Last of Us looked spectacular and Phantom Pain looked good as well I am curious to see more on that.South Park also has me sold it looks so damn good and seems like it is gonna be hilarious.

madmackem

Ok that music bit was pretty fucking good, had a lump in my throat fuck yeaaaah vidddya gamez. Dont get they negative stuff for these shows, they are better than shit like mtv shit. Pretty decent so far this showing games in a good light.

njean777

The sites for both say PC/360/PS3. It's possible that they could be cross-gen, but Phantom looked weak visually, it could be a weak cross-gen release, but it sure didn't seem like it. I would put the odds higher at Dark Souls 2 getting a cross-gen release, but we really don't know anything except that PC/360/PS3 are confirmed.

To me it looks likely that there were no next-gen games shown, as none of them looked next-gen (can't judge Dark Souls either way because they only had a CG trailer). I thought as a whole the show was okay, but there really was nothing shown that couldn't be released tomorrow from a tech standpoint (at least that's how it appeared).

If t is a cross gen game I will be buying both the the ps3 version and most likely xbox version if the xbox successor comes out before the ps4.

etiolate

Banned
Why are you schmucks tuning in for this? You knew it was going to be trash.

You hate this stuff? Don't give if five threads. Give it zero threads.

Nert

I ended up missing most of this, so I'm going back through and fast forwarding through most of it and just stopping on what seems interesting. The orchestra tribute to the five GOTY nominees was a little too short, but it was still actually pretty well done. The Journey footage was a nice visual break from all of the rapid cuts of things getting axed in the face or stabbed :p

Top Bottom